• Hello Guest. We are upgrading the server's XenForo versions. This has to be done in stages. 1.5.18 ---> 1.5.23 ---> 2.0.0 ---> 2.0.12 ---> 2.1.0. I will likely upgrade each one and leave it for a day or so to see if there's any kinks. When moving from 1.x to 2.x, our add-ons will cease to work. Much of the functionality of said add-ons is now native within XenForo 2.x, so I don't think we'll miss much if anything. IF we are, we can try out new 2.x XF add-ons.

How do you choose which offensive formation to use next.

I'm looking for a logical way to choose formations on offense. On defense its pretty simple because you just match up to personnel. On offensive I end up calling formations semi-randomly especially in the name of "sim" but would like a logical way of going about it if someone has any ideas.

Bmack

Mod Alumni
I just cycle through all the plays in order, choosing a play that fits the situation and style of play for the particular year of re-enactment. I then note what formation I last used in the game, and start the next game with that formation. It allows me to cycle through the entire playbook about twice over the course of a ten game regular season.

Honestly when you have speed at quarterback like collinsworth or the athletic freakishness of a tight end like Marshall, it doesn’t matter the formation. You are built to dominate.

Formation depends on RB stamina. But typically I am running 1 back in the pro-style playbook with my top back. Then switch to I for the 2nd back when other back gets tired or when their LBs are killing me and I need a FB. Then it is a matter if I am attacking the middle or edge for the play. I mix in easy pass plays. But my goal is to wear down the defense and play keep away. I only play as a coach in my NDSU dynasty. I also build them big with an avg OL of 6'6" 342 pounds this season. My 1 back HB is 6'0" 256 pounds. I formation back is 6'2" 232. With a scat back in the shotgun at 6'0" 220. Both TEs are 6'5" @ 265 and 273 and my WRs are pretty much in the 220 pound range. Games can be close but there is a time near the end of the 3rd quarter the defense is tired and it opens up for my backs and the game is put away.

I think it all depends what you are trying to accomplish. I will run power plays into a tough defense with the goal to wear them down. Most of the time it works. But a couple times a season it doesn't and then we break out the passing attack to open up running the ball.