• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

How do you choose which offensive formation to use next.

FSS

I'm looking for a logical way to choose formations on offense. On defense its pretty simple because you just match up to personnel. On offensive I end up calling formations semi-randomly especially in the name of "sim" but would like a logical way of going about it if someone has any ideas.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I just cycle through all the plays in order, choosing a play that fits the situation and style of play for the particular year of re-enactment. I then note what formation I last used in the game, and start the next game with that formation. It allows me to cycle through the entire playbook about twice over the course of a ten game regular season.

Honestly when you have speed at quarterback like collinsworth or the athletic freakishness of a tight end like Marshall, it doesn’t matter the formation. You are built to dominate.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Formation depends on RB stamina. But typically I am running 1 back in the pro-style playbook with my top back. Then switch to I for the 2nd back when other back gets tired or when their LBs are killing me and I need a FB. Then it is a matter if I am attacking the middle or edge for the play. I mix in easy pass plays. But my goal is to wear down the defense and play keep away. I only play as a coach in my NDSU dynasty. I also build them big with an avg OL of 6'6" 342 pounds this season. My 1 back HB is 6'0" 256 pounds. I formation back is 6'2" 232. With a scat back in the shotgun at 6'0" 220. Both TEs are 6'5" @ 265 and 273 and my WRs are pretty much in the 220 pound range. Games can be close but there is a time near the end of the 3rd quarter the defense is tired and it opens up for my backs and the game is put away.

I think it all depends what you are trying to accomplish. I will run power plays into a tough defense with the goal to wear them down. Most of the time it works. But a couple times a season it doesn't and then we break out the passing attack to open up running the ball.

TheSystem

For me it's about leverage.
I usually put strength (TE or Trips side) to the field as it opens some of the passing plays (flag routes and deep vertical shots). However there are times when I will put the strength into the boundary because against a man coverage team it will open running lanes .

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
For me it's about leverage.
I usually put strength (TE or Trips side) to the field as it opens some of the passing plays (flag routes and deep vertical shots). However there are times when I will put the strength into the boundary because against a man coverage team it will open running lanes .

Trips to the boundary >

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Shotgun Twin TE Slot (or slot weak? the one with the RB opposite the TEs) - Twin TE surface to the boundary and the WRs to the field. There are other formations that let you stretch the field in both directions with both the pass and run game, but I love this one most because splitting ur personnel by size lets you pick on personnel mismatches even if the defense lines up well and has a good playcall.

Buck sweep/counter/inside zone/speed option (run as a QB inside zone) let you hit all areas of the line from the running game, which is rare in shotgun formations. If they do dumb shit on defense you can always make them pay.

The double TE surface is way better than you might thing in the passing game because the TE dig routes from this formation are so good. Field side offers the slot surface with the RB on that side and he's got some good routes that give you the 3 WR concepts which are always good in the game. You can also motion ur TE to create trips. TE as the inside receiver in trips is so good.

Last edited:

Craig7835

Shotgun Twin TE Slot (or slot weak? the one with the RB opposite the TEs) - Twin TE surface to the boundary and the WRs to the field. There are other formations that let you stretch the field in both directions with both the pass and run game, but I love this one most because splitting ur personnel by size lets you pick on personnel mismatches even if the defense lines up well and has a good playcall.

Buck sweep/counter/inside zone/speed option (run as a QB inside zone) let you hit all areas of the line from the running game, which is rare in shotgun formations. If they do dumb shit on defense you can always make them pay.

The double TE surface is way better than you might think in the passing game because the TE dig routes from this formation are so good. Field side offers the slot surface with the RB on that side and he's got some good routes that give you the 3 WR concepts which are always good in the game. You can also motion ur TE to create trips. TE as the inside receiver in trips is so good.

Shotgun Twin TE Slot is the best formation IMO. The Speed Option is my Go To run play,but the passing plays are money

Last edited:

JohnScott

Choosing formations should really be to create situations you want. I completely agree with some of the earlier posts about wanting to set up certain strengths with your formation. The idea is that by recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of each formation, you can better decide what looks you want to present to the defense. Sure, it is pretty easy to match personnel on defense. On offense though, you get to dictate the terms. Think about how you want to attack and then try going from there.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Choosing formations should really be to create situations you want. I completely agree with some of the earlier posts about wanting to set up certain strengths with your formation. The idea is that by recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of each formation, you can better decide what looks you want to present to the defense. Sure, it is pretty easy to match personnel on defense. On offense though, you get to dictate the terms. Think about how you want to attack and then try going from there.

Hi, have you considered running a sim baseball team?