• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

How is your Dynasty going?

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Finished my second season, first with CSU at 13-1 with a final ranking of #15 I wasn't ranked at all until the conference championship game and they matched me up with Stanford 6-6 in the bowl game. My schedule was softer than Charmin, best win came against #16 UTEP. Colorado ended the season 1-11 lol. I will be making my departure, the squad will lose 15 of 22 starters. Stud QB & TE are leaving with pretty big dropoffs. Don't got time for a rebound. I got only one power 5 offer as HC, with Wazzu. Several P5 schools offering a offensive coordinator role; Oklahoma, Miami, Florida, Nebraska and then several G6 HC offers. The most intriguing of those was San Jose St. or Kent St. but I didn't stick around to see all of them. Gonna have to mull over the move a little bit. Either way I'll have to start setting tougher matchups going forward, CPU can't handle the power.

worst2first

I'm a mong and didn't remember that you can select coach mode from the screen where you pick your playbook before a game starts. I've been doing it the old-fashioned way (auto-pass, paws off the buttons after the snap) but if you do that, a bunch of plays don't work and you have to kick the FGs.

So I started a new dynasty as the OC at UTEP.

Dr. Shats Basoon

I'm a mong and didn't remember that you can select coach mode from the screen where you pick your playbook before a game starts. I've been doing it the old-fashioned way (auto-pass, paws off the buttons after the snap) but if you do that, a bunch of plays don't work and you have to kick the FGs.

So I started a new dynasty as the OC at UTEP.
I didn't do him any favors but their quarterback stinks

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I just lost another game because the defense sucks this year. I thought being an OC would be fun but it's garbage. When Corso can't CHEAT MODE me what I'm playing he just waits and breaks it out in supersim/skip ahead or whatever it's called.

worst2first

I didn't do him any favors but their quarterback stinks

He's actually surprised me a little bit the first two games. We beat New Mexico 34-17 and then lost by a touchdown to Coastal Carolina. We actually dominated the first half of the Coastal game but an unfortunate INT and woeful defense let them come back in the second half.

Since I'm playing coach mode I look at the other team's roster and try to make a game plan. UTEP has one WR with 90+ speed. I move him all over the field so he's usually the primary receiving target. The sliders I'm using have the speed difference (or whatever it's called) at 0 so fast players are actually significantly faster than slow players.

Really good DTs are also pretty rare so I can usually get enough on the ground in the middle to keep D's honest. I'm not sure if it borks things but I turn catching to conservative because it seems to help and it reflects my coaching philosophy — I don't care if you immediately flop to the ground afterward, but catch the got damn ball!

In my experience, you have to try to be balanced because if you're running the ball with a lot of success, the CPU will adjust and load up the box and if you're passing well, it will adjust coverage and start blitzing more. Of course, it wouldn't be coach mode if your QB doesn't randomly hurl wounded duck wobblers right into the hands of a defender from time to time.

Dr. Shats Basoon

I took the Washington State job and got cocky. Their roster is a solid step up from Colorado State almost across the board and I figured I had the game figure out and could beat anybody so I beefed up my schedule with #2 Alabama, #23 Utep and #17 Michigan. I also have to contend in the Pac-12 so the schedule is A+ strength

Week 1 Alabama made me rage quit 3 times before half before I finally let them have their way with me. Final score 51-6

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
aFGrJxz.gif

worst2first

UTEP pulled out an improbable 26-13 win against Louisiana Tech in the midst of a torrential downpour. (I tried to find out the last time it rained during a Miners home game but a quick search was fruitless.) The bad news is starting QB Gavin Hardison (68 OVR) is out three weeks with a shoulder injury and our second or third best WR, Devaughn Cooper (80 OVR) is also out three weeks with an injury. Backup QB Calvin Brownholtz (63 OVR) may have to change his last name to Brownpants after he sees how porous this offensive line is. Hardison was sacked nine times in the La. Tech game and 24 times in just five games. If he goes down I guess I'll put in MLB Connor Helsius who has the best THP (59) and THA (54) of the rest of the team. (The Miners don't have a third QB on the roster.)

Somehow Hardison has completed 75% of his passes and thrown 14 TDs to only 1 INT. I have no clue how he's played so well, especially considering the beating he's taken. I have QB accuracy set at 5 so I don't think that's it. I run the ball a lot and try not to ask him to make long, difficult throws very often. I use a lot of short crossing routes and tosses to RBs in the flats. I try to only have my QBs attempt long passes when they're in the yellow or red. I also move my one really good WR around a lot so he's the primary target. I'm really at a loss to explain it.

The only good thing is that the next three games are Tulsa, @ Rice, and @ #9 TAMU. If we can beat Tulsa or Rice we could be 4-4 (currently 3-2) when Hardison and Cooper return. If we can beat Rice we may still be in contention for the lead in the division.

worst2first

After losing 17-27 to Tulsa and getting crushed by winless Rice 28-42, the Miners knocked the Aggies out of the top 25 with a shocking win at Kyle Field. Gavin Hardison came back from his injury (I forgot about a bye week) just in time. The next four games look to be very winnable, but then, Rice shouldn't have demolished us the way they did either.

worst2first

Just when I think I've got everything going my way — the game is running well, I remembered the coach mode option in the pregame menu, and I cranked up the resolution, I decide to check the conference standings and discover this:

In addition to Charlotte, Western Kentucky, and Old Dominion not having a conference record in C-USA, Louisville, Rutgers, Maryland, and none of the MAC teams have conference records either. I wonder if I can move them around in the offseason and move them back and make the game recognize they're actually in those conferences? I don't really want to start over again.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Damn that's frustrating. Yeah I'd just save right prior to swapping teams in and out of conferences and try that.

Cougs drop to 0-5. Recruiting looks ok but I'm not sure I'll make it to year 2 let alone time for the kids to get some development in. Might have jumped the gun taking the job

worst2first

After a 7-5 season, UTEP was denied a bowl bid. Recruiting went well and the Miners should be better next year. I had every intention of remaining in El Paso, but then I started getting phone calls.

Maryland and Miami (OH) contacted me concerning open OC positions, but I think it was just a courtesy call. Memphis and Nevada interviewed me and offered me the position but I turned them both down. Neither had much to offer over UTEP. I figured despite my success turning the Miners offense into one of the most potent units in the country, I had too little experience. I reminded myself to be patient and gradually build up my resume.

A call from sunny Southern California would change my mind. San Diego State was just off a 9-4 season and needed to replace their OC. After flying out to meet with Coach Hoke and the AD, I signed the contract. The Aztecs appear to be a program on the rise and what's not to love about the chance to live in San Diego? Thanks, Coach Dimel and UTEP, and good luck next season. Recruiting went well and the Miners are better off than when I arrived even though it was just one season. Now it's time to pack up and head west. Hell, maybe I'll buy a surfboard and try some of those carne asada fries and fish tacos I've been hearing about. Steak on fries sounds good but it doesn't seem right to put fish on a taco to me, but I'll give 'em a try. Coaching is hard work and a man's gotta eat.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Finally got the 1st win of the year against the fighting Arizona State fighting herms and followed it up with a heartbreaking loss to #20 Cal. Gave up a TD on 4th and goal with under a minute left and I also lost my best player for the season with a torn pec

Signed a 3* ATH that turned out to be a 76 Overall QB. Also got a couple mid 70s WR and about to sign a 74 Punter who I'll probably make kick FGs too. Need to get building the OL depth and offense will be solid. In on a few LBs and DLine croots who will provide depth. Need to find some game changers on that side of the ball.

I was planning to make a team that ran the ball 100% if the time but with the croots I got coming in I might go the other way with it and pass 100%

Last edited:

Dr. Shats Basoon

Finally got the 1st win of the year against the fighting Arizona State fighting herms and followed it up with a heartbreaking loss to #20 Cal. Gave up a TD on 4th and goal with under a minute left and I also lost my best player for the season with a torn pec

Signed a 3* ATH that turned out to be a 76 Overall QB. Also got a couple mid 70s WR and about to sign a 74 Punter who I'll probably make kick FGs too. Need to get building the OL depth and offense will be solid. In on a few LBs and DLine croots who will provide depth. Need to find some game changers on that side of the ball.

I was planning to make a team that ran the ball 100% if the time but with the croots I got coming in I might go the other way with it and pass 100%
Well finished out the season 2-10 which doubled the number of wins from the previous regime and signed a top 50 crooting class. I will call that a win even if those paper pushing administrators don't see it that way. I'll admit I did check out the carousel to see what was out there but job offers fell off a cliff so I decided to stick around for another season. We are building something up here in Pullman. the offense is set up very well for the future; Returning several starters at QB,HB,TE,OL which gives a 93 offense rating and behind them are some solid croots. Need to find a TE in this class. Defense is another story. Not very good on that side of the ball, got some work to do recruiting. Backfield is solid, LB's and DT are horrible. 83 defense rating. I think they are gonna hold us back from a bowl game this year. Hoping to double up again in the win column and sign another solid class with some defensive studs.

worst2first

I didn't want to post anything here in case I jinxed it, but San Diego State came within 3 points of an undefeated season. After going 9-0, the Aztecs lost to Fresno State 29-32. It was one of those games where nothing really works. We weren't terrible, we just weren't good enough to win. Perhaps we were overconfident after joining the top 25 (24th) for the first time. We finished the season 11-1, returned to the top 25 (22), and now face Utah State for the Mountain West championship. QB Carson Baker threw for over 4,000 yards and is the leading finalist for the Doak Walker.

Recruiting went very well. We currently have a top 20 class including an incredible HB and QB. The QB is 75 OVR and over 80 in THP, THA, and SPD. Recruiting on the defensive side was more challenging. We're currently in a battle with Cal for a 78 OVR safety that would really help us out. Cal is 12-0 and one of the best teams in the country so I'm not sure if we can land him. As usual, I only recruited players that started out with an interest in SDSU. There are something like 28 seniors leaving but I don't think we'll have a massive dropoff. Baker will be back at QB, most of the o-line returns, or I have a 70+ OVR underclassman ready to step up. Replacing the defensive starters is a bigger issue but I think we'll be okay.

My reputation is improving but I'll stay at SDSU a while to build up my coaching skills and see what we can accomplish with this group of recruits.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Recruiting is too easy to cheese in this game. Trying to avoid spending the HC skill points at all, but definitely on recruiting

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Sort by less than 25% locked or whatever it is by week 7 or so and top 10 class incoming

worst2first

I stick to players that have us as one of their top 3 choices when recruiting starts. I also focus heavily on recruits from the state the school is in. I also won't over recruit a position. 60 OVR players are fine for roster fillers IMO.

Has anyone been a finalist for or won the Broyles Award? I see it listed under coach goals but I don't recall seeing a screen where the finalists or winner is listed.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I don’t remember ever winning it or it existing, but I can look at my trophies and see

worst2first

The Aztecs were Mountain West champions but were embarrassed by Arizona State 37-7 in the Las Vegas Bowl. Carson Baker threw 3 INTs and lost a fumble.

We started the next season at #12 California and almost upset them, losing 31-28. Baker threw 4 INTs in the loss. He's thrown as many INTs in the last two games as he did last year in the entire regular season. The Aztecs run game appears to be much improved but our starting freshman RB is out for 4 weeks with a shoulder injury. He looked good against Cal before being injured. His backup is also a freshman and should be serviceable enough.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
12th ranked Offense this year in the SEC!

Too bad we have the 115th ranked defense and these BUMS give up any lead I gain. I went 2-0 on Sunday and then 0-2 last night while putting up 40+ points in back to back games. One of the games was in a monsoon, so idiotic.

I'll finish out the season and then if I don't get a good path out of here I'm going to have to pull a @worst2first and reboot my dynasty. I think overall the path to good HC jobs doesn't run through low-level SEC OC jobs, because W-L is weighted along with coordinator success. DUMB but this game is 8 years old and was probably bad then also.