• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

hurrying up your hurry up offense!!!

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
@bruin228 is the expert on this in these parts.

However, if I'm running a spread this is how I do it (all based on 3 or 4 WR personnel )

Y = Slot outs or Corner routes (Man beater)
A = Shallow Cross or mesh (Zone beater)
X = Screen
LB = Run left/counter
RB = Run right/buck sweep or inside zone

Y = Spread Flex Wk

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
What kind of spread are you running? I'm guessing some sort of Malzahn thing if you're an Auburn fan.

Auburnoffense

Yeah i run gus malzahn's power spread offense..... Ive created my own playbook using info from the spread I 2.0 tread. I have no problem running the ball or passing the ball in this offense... the problem comes when I go hurry up.... to offset my run heavy scheme, i try quick pass plays or play action plays but either my bubble screens get picked off or i go PA and get sacked.... my audibles and my play calling is key to my tempo being very fast...

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Are you throwing the bubble when the slot receiver is uncovered? Do you throw bubble out of 2x2 or 3x1?

Auburnoffense

most of the time i will throw when he is uncovered... my wideouts never blocks the outside wideouts... and mostly out of 3x1...

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
If he's uncovered, you shouldn't have any problems. You should be throwing the ball as soon as you get it and the wideouts should hold their blocks long enough. If I'm throwing bubble to an uncovered receiver, I get at least 4 yards every time.

As far as play calling, the number one thing you should keep in mind is to keep things relatively simple. You don't need to run out of only 3 formations or something but you shouldn't be trying to use 40 formations or 370+ plays either. If your playbook is oversized, you're not going to be able to go as fast as you want because you'll still be trying to sort through your book to find the play you want. Keep your book simple and learn it so you know where to go before the ball has been spotted.

For your audibles, the first thing to know is you should never choose anything you can access through a quick audible. If you want to run Inside Zone out of Shotgun Trips, that's fine but that's your quick run audible in that formation. It makes far more sense to have another play from Trips so that you now have 5 plays at your disposal when you change to that formation. As far as the actual plays, pick plays that provide you different uses. Don't pick 5 different forms of Bubble or 5 different ways to run Inside Zone or Read Option. Use your audibles to get you out of a bad situation or play off of your opponent's tendencies. You can also use them to create different looks for your opponent, like audibling to Empty out of 11 or 10 personnel. I know Husker used to like to shift the side of his back like Oregon did with Chip Kelly. I can't really tell you the exact plays you need to use as audibles, I don't know your offense, but as long as you follow this general method and figure out what you like most, you should be fine.

TheSystem

Obvious Air Raid here with heavy Franklin influence. I use custom books and I set my books up so I can play fast. For instance rarely will I have more than 2 run plays in any formation group. I also order my plays so I have runs as the first page, quick passes second, medium range passes, deep passes, pa and screens so I try not eliminate the waste of searching for a play because I know where it its going to be/

I will use the same concepts from different formations. To play fast you have to know your offense and you have know what plays are great follow up plays. The game is what slows me down, indecision never slows me down.

My audibles are all out of a two by two set and I am looking to use them to get to Grass and beat certain coverage looks.
Audible 1 is a Cover 3 beater
Audble 2 and 3 are Cover 2 beaters
Audible 4 is a Quick screen that allows me to go to a jailbreak screen with the formation audible
Audible 5 is quick pass from a formation that allows me to either go right or left

However I because I set up my own books, I rarely use my audibles but rely on the formation quick audibles.
When I call plays I'm looking to stay with certain formation sets. For instance I'm not going go from 2x2 to 3x1 formations when I am going fast.
I stay away from motion as I don't want anything to slow me down when I am going fast. The object is to get the offense set and snap the ball as soon as possible.

NY_KIA31

I usually use quick audibles as well if I have the tempo going...unless I have 1 or 2 custom audibles that match the formation that Im in.

Otherwise it disrupts my rhythm

CoachTuck

Obvious Air Raid here with heavy Franklin influence. I use custom books and I set my books up so I can play fast. For instance rarely will I have more than 2 run plays in any formation group. I also order my plays so I have runs as the first page, quick passes second, medium range passes, deep passes, pa and screens so I try not eliminate the waste of searching for a play because I know where it its going to be/

I will use the same concepts from different formations. To play fast you have to know your offense and you have know what plays are great follow up plays. The game is what slows me down, indecision never slows me down.

My audibles are all out of a two by two set and I am looking to use them to get to Grass and beat certain coverage looks.
Audible 1 is a Cover 3 beater
Audble 2 and 3 are Cover 2 beaters
Audible 4 is a Quick screen that allows me to go to a jailbreak screen with the formation audible
Audible 5 is quick pass from a formation that allows me to either go right or left

However I because I set up my own books, I rarely use my audibles but rely on the formation quick audibles.
When I call plays I'm looking to stay with certain formation sets. For instance I'm not going go from 2x2 to 3x1 formations when I am going fast.
I stay away from motion as I don't want anything to slow me down when I am going fast. The object is to get the offense set and snap the ball as soon as possible.
What screens are you using and against what looks to keep your tempo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSystem

I use all the screens. My favorites :

Cover 3- PA fl/se screens
Cover 2- Middle Screens
Blitz- Any screen but Hb screens away from strength of formation are personal favorites

CoachTuck

I use all the screens. My favorites :

Cover 3- PA fl/se screens
Cover 2- Middle Screens
Blitz- Any screen but Hb screens away from strength of formation are personal favorites
In my experience the Fl/SE screens always get picked off by the flat defender in cover 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSystem

Coach, I'm not playing AA so I may not be seeing that happen as often as you are, I am watching for a low corner though and I treat that as a blitz, if that helps?