• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Hybrid Bone offense

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Shotgun
Empty Spread
Empty Base
Spread
Spread Flex
Wing Trips Wk
Normal HB Wk
Normal Wing TE
Split Offset

Pistol
Ace
Full House
H-Twins
Strong
Y-Trips
Weak Slot

Undercenter
Strong I Close
Strong I H-Pro
Strong I Normal
Power I

Flexbone
Close
Normal
Split Wing X
Split Wing Z
Tackle Over
Tight
Twins Over
Trips Left
Trips Right

Wingbone
Normal
Split Wing Z
Split Wing X
Twins Over

Wishbone
Normal
Tight

Base formation/play will be the triple option series out of the various "bone formations". I am keeping some SG formations for long 3rd down, 2 minute situations and the unavoidable cluster-frick as I try to run the bone. I also added in some Strong I sets for some power running with some better passing plays. This is going to be big learning curve, but I’m looking forward to trying some different stuff.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
That's a pretty hefty book, I would try to consolidate the Pistol/Gun stuff a bit. If you're looking for just the ability to pass in two minute situations, you could probably stick with mostly Pistol. If you're looking for a QB run game in addition to that passing, then I'd pull some of the Pistol and go more traditional Gun.

I know the instinct is to have enough Gun to cover your ass when things go south under center but with too much, you'll end up using it quite a bit early on and it'll take you out of your offense. You could probably get away with mostly Pistol plus Gun Spread and Gun Empty Spread. Pistol might flow with the offense a bit better since there are some good triple option looks as well as a power run game.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I might eliminate the Pistol altogether. With each of the listed in their own TAB it doesn't seem like a big book. I'm used to navigating through 20 SG formations.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
At the moment, my only direct snap formation at Nebraska is Shotgun Spread. That was the one Gun formation Nebraska consistently used in the mid-90s and essentially just ran QB Counter/Power, Draw and Speed/Shovel option. I found that as much as I thought I'd need some Gun/Pistol stuff, once I'm in game I really don't.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Navy if you're ever bored you should see if you can find some Wofford offense clips. This is the only true offensive cut-up I've found with All-22 and end zone shots of each play, but I'm sure you could find more. This one gives you a good idea of what they do though.

They are pretty much all option. Flexbone, Split Gun, even some Pistol (their first TD came via Pistol). From what I can tell they zone block everything, including Flexbone. Really simplifies everything for the line when you're in all those backfield alignments. They did run what looked like a reverse pivot trap option out of Split Gun which I thought was awesome.

I've always wanted to do an offense in NCAA like this where it is just 90% option with a few traps and dives mixed in.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@TXHusker05 That's some great game film. I got to see Wofford in action in 2010, and they ran more wishbone. It's nice to see some of the Paul Johnson disciples mesh the traditional option game with more modern concepts.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I have been fooling around with a pistol based option book for the last few weeks that I called the "Gunner" offense. I took some of the better formations from that book and applied it to a new "Modern Option" playbook. In my MAC OD game last night, I ran for 200+ and threw for over 100. Lots of wide open receivers downfield. Unfortunately, the pitches from the flexbone and wishbone are still buggy. The optioned off DE can still commit to the QB and react to the pitch quick enough to cause a fumble (and in my case two scoop and scores). I'm not sure if this only happens against certain alignments, but under center bone is still wonky. On the other hand, I ran a perfect triple option out of an unbalanced wingbone set in the first drive for a 40 yard TD. :laughing:

What Wofford did with the split gun is really nice. I got a lot of mileage going between that set, Pistol Weak Slot, and Pistol Strong Slot. Good way to keep the defense honest with the pass. With the combination of the gun/pistol sets and the under center stuff, I could easily see myself playing a game where I don't throw the ball once. :love:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Having fun with my new offense. I condensed my Pistol formation into 4 formations (Strong, Strong Slot, Full House, H twins), but I have not used them as I focusing on using the Flex. I am still struggling with throwing out of the Flex because I am so used to being in SG that it feels awkward. Instead of focusing on my reads I am to conscious of the pass rush and it results in bad throws.

Have hit some really big gainers out of Flex Tight/Tackle over speed sweep and just regular triple option. However, I know there will come a time where I'm going to have to mix in a few passes to combat 8 in the box.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
What is the read on the Trap Option? Am I reading the DT? For now I'm just randomly giving or keeping and hoping for the best.

It is important play because in some formations it's the only play that runs away from the strength in the formation.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Having fun with my new offense. I condensed my Pistol formation into 4 formations (Strong, Strong Slot, Full House, H twins), but I have not used them as I focusing on using the Flex. I am still struggling with throwing out of the Flex because I am so used to being in SG that it feels awkward. Instead of focusing on my reads I am to conscious of the pass rush and it results in bad throws.

Have hit some really big gainers out of Flex Tight/Tackle over speed sweep and just regular triple option. However, I know there will come a time where I'm going to have to mix in a few passes to combat 8 in the box.

It looks like we're going in the same direction offensively. Looking forward to seeing yours in action in a few weeks.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@NavyHog I believe it is the same read as Midline where you read the 0/1 tech on the playside. Keep in mind that it's really just the QB Wrap with a read off defender. I rarely use it though. You may want to use playaction instead to attack backside pursuit against your primary runs.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
It looks like we're going in the same direction offensively. Looking forward to seeing yours in action in a few weeks.

Yeah me too. After this season you can look for another team if you want since Flann, Ramseuth and I had a 6 year start in recruiting.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Yeah me too. After this season you can look for another team if you want since Flann, Ramseuth and I had a 6 year start in recruiting.

I'm actually not having a hard time recruiting. I'm the only user team in Texas. :thumbsup:

Give me another year or two to see how things play out.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
What is the read on the Trap Option? Am I reading the DT? For now I'm just randomly giving or keeping and hoping for the best.

It is important play because in some formations it's the only play that runs away from the strength in the formation.

I always keep read option and then pitch off the unblocked end. You could give it if you wanted since the guy being read can never really crash hard enough to get to the FB but I like keeping and pitching off of it. Trap Option is best out of Flexbone Twins Over.

Against Bruin last night I had quite a bit of success just running my regular Nebraska offense. It started slow (for both offenses) but then started getting better. My two pass plays actually came out of Flexbone off of Triple Option Pass. I actually like Flexbone as a passing formation more than a running formation in my offense, but that's because I have all the Ace and I-Formation stuff that you don't really have.

I ran a little Pistol in the game, just Twin TE Slot and Twin TE, might just remove it though. Doesn't integrate well with the offense. I'll probably do a full on Pistol playbook at some point. I also might do an Air Force/Wofford style book that is almost entirely option from multiple sets.