• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Irishman's rec league ice hockey dynasty thread

Funny thing, but I was moved to center last summer and am playing there full time now. To start this season, I was abysmal on faceoffs through the first four games, but I'm the six games since, I'm consistently over 70%. It's totally insane, but it's nice to have that at my disposal. Last night we had four great scoring chances from clean faceoff wins/set plays. I've tried to copy Claude Giroux's method/positioning.

My bros, I got absolutely rocked in our first playoff game last night. :laughing: It was probably the hardest I've been hit since I was a kid. I'll have to upload the highlight clip later tonight or tomorrow. I got up and skated to the bench, took my normal rest and came back out for my next shift. Truly it's worth spending a little more on gear that offers the superior protection.

We won the game 2-1, so our reward is that our next game (tonight) starts at 9 PM instead of 10:45 PM. :thumbsup:

Is there an age level where contact is no longer allowed?
Most adult recreational hockey is a 'no check' league, but that just means no body checks or open ice hits where the purpose of the hit is meant to separate the player and the puck. However, physical contact is permitted when players are making a play on the puck and the contact is incidental. There's certainly some gray area there, but the rules tend to be enforced approximately.

Regarding my hit last night, I definitely think it could have gone either way. I'll have to watch the replay to see for sure. I think the play was just two people going for a loose puck and I was the one moving faster and was in a more vulnerable position, this taking the brunt of the contact. The other team was very good about checking on me later in the game and in the handshake line after.

digs

sun of nothing
Anxiously awaiting this clip!
jack-nicholson-jack.gif

Here it is:

The hit occurs at the blue line on the far wall. It probably should have been a penalty after watching this replay. He hits me, and then he takes the puck. In order for it to be legal, he should have taken the puck and hit me in the process.

We ended up losing our second playoff game last night 3-2. We played the number one seed and it was a tough loss. The worst though is that our best player caught a freak shot off his glove resulting in a nasty compound pinky fracture. Woof.

Oh yeah, and I feel like I have mild whiplash today. Thankfully, our playoffs are double elimination, so I can fuck myself up all over again next Sunday night. Woot.