• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Keeper leagues and Dynasty football

dirt

Trolltalitarian
So, SF City Legends will be entering it's fourth year and as Commish I plan to incorporate some aspect of rookie keepers into the league. I'm just starting to tinker with the idea, so I will be updating as I go.

But, right out the gate there are questions about what happens when players don't pan out, and how long players are kept before they can be re-signed...

Most of the stuff I'm reading on twitter suggest a small buy-in for dynasty leagues. I'm thinking of incorporating a rookie draft of say 4-5 players that can stand alone with a re-draft style league when september rolls around.

Anyway... curious what Urtopia thinks

dirt

Trolltalitarian
what do ya'll think about making compulsory rookie and 2nd year players as first draft picks? I want my league to start trading draft picks... that's the point of the dynasty stuff imo. Bueller?

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Fantasy football continues to grow in popularity across the U.S. and around the world. Most people consider it a part-time hobby and only play for a few months each year.
If you're like me, that's simply not enough.
For those of you who are looking for something more, you will be happy to know there are ways to play fantasy football year round, while increasing competition, strategy and enjoyment. It's time to put your year-to-year leagues (also known as redraft leagues) aside and try playing in a dynasty or keeper league.
Dynasty Leagues vs. Keeper Leagues: What's the difference?
All dynasty leagues are keeper leagues, but not all keeper leagues are dynasty leagues. The differences can be confusing at first. There's an analogy I like to use to explain the differences. Playing in a dynasty league is like being married, while playing in a keeper league is comparable to living with someone.
When you get married, you are making a life-long commitment, similar to that of a dynasty league. Once you draft or acquire a player, you can keep said player for as long as you want. Outside of a trade or simply dropping them, most of your lineup remains the same from year to year. A dynasty league involves a long-term commitment to your team.
When you play in a keeper league, the commitment is not quite the same. Each year you can only hold a predetermined amount of players, while much of your roster goes back into the available player pool to be selected in the next year's draft.
The number of players you can keep in keeper leagues will vary from league to league depending on that league's unique set of rules. Traditionally, this number will run anywhere from one to twenty. Whether the restrictions come from using a salary cap, the amount of time a player has spent on one roster, or simply a set number each year, one thing is certain: hard cuts will have to be made each year.
In general, these leagues demand a particular amount of roster turnover each year and since there is no ring on your finger, it is easier to walk away from a player when the impulse strikes you.
Strategic differences
With each type of league, there are different strategic moves to be made. Some are pretty basic, but some are much more involved.
When drafting in a new dynasty league, most people want to build a team composed of young players with upside. In these leagues, older veterans will fall farther in a draft than in any other type of league. It's hard to commit early draft spots from your initial draft on players who may only have one or two more years left in the league. For example, Steve Smith of the Panthers will be productive, but likely only for a few more years. His redraft value is much higher since you don't have to worry about his long-term viability.
This long-term perspective doesn't really come into play with keeper leagues. Since you can only hold a certain number of players each year, you can take chances on those productive older vets since they can be dropped at the end of the year with no penalty. It is also easier to make cuts in this league, as many players will be available the following season.
It is typically easier to trade in keeper leagues as well. Owners have a tendency to hold on to players in dynasty leagues because they may be really invested in them. They have the ability to keep those young players (especially those who haven't quite lived up to the hype so far) until they finally do produce on the field.
Knowing those same players will not be held at the end of any given season opens up trading to a larger list of available players - this also allows you to try to make moves to increase the talent level of the players you will be able to hold at the end of the season.
Another factor between deciding which league format is best for you is understanding the risk involved of botching your initial draft. If you have a poor initial keeper league draft, it is easy to rectify your troubles before beginning the next season. In a dynasty league, it is much harder to get over a bad initial draft. If you fail miserably in your dynasty league's initial player distribution, solid trade negotiation and drafting skills will be required to get your team back into contention.
One other major difference between dynasty and keeper leagues is the talent level on the waiver wire in any given week. Since most dynasty leagues have much deeper rosters, the players available each week tend to be farther away from significant playing time unless it is a result of an injury or surprise benching of a starter. It is usually easier to find replacements on the waiver wire in keeper leagues.
Player evaluation and retention
One of the most enjoyable aspects of these types of leagues is trying to find talent before other owners. This is especially true in dynasty leagues, where it's often necessary to draft and hold on to a player for a full season before they become fantasy viable.
Young players who might have little value in redraft leagues can have much greater value in keeper and especially dynasty leagues. As an example, here are some players players who's values would be much higher in these leagues than they would be in a typical redraft league.
Markus Wheaton, WR PIT
The 2013 rookie might start the season as his team's fourth wide receiver, but he has the body control and big-play ability of Steve Smith. Wheaton could be the Steelers best receiver before Ryan Seacrest says, "Happy New Year!"
Nick Toon, WR NO
His rookie season was shortened by injury, but the son of former All-Pro Al Toon offers Drew Brees another quality set of hands. An injury to Joseph Morgan may have opened up the door for him this season, but Toon looks to be the long-term plan for replacing Marques Colston.
Ryan Tannehill, QB MIA
His wife mesmerized us on "Hard Knocks" last year. It's his turn now as the young, mobile and strong-armed quarterback is poised to make Mike Wallace and Lamar Miller into fantasy superstars.
Bernard Pierce, RB BAL
Injuries could undermine the Ravens return to the Super Bowl. The good thing for dynasty owners is Pierce will have the green light to show the world he is more than simply a handcuff to Ray Rice.
Travaris Cadet, RB NO
The second year running back out of Appalachian State had only six offensive touches last season, but has amazing quickness and down field vision. Despite being underused in San Diego, Darren Sproles has a short time left in the NFL at age 30. The young Cadet has the skills to eventually replace him.
Dynasty and keeper leagues are a rapidly growing segment of the ever-expanding fantasy football landscape. Choosing which of these formats to try will mean simply finding the level of commitment right for you. Are you ready to be married, or just live together? Either way, a dynasty or keeper league will mean a big increase in the challenge, involvement and fun of playing fantasy football.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ues-keeper-leagues--fantasy-football/2699177/

The guys in my league are not what I would call awfully sharp with their draft acumen. They seem fairly skilled at redraft, but I want to add a deeper element to our league wherein they start working the draft during the off season. They're a little put off by the duration of being invested over more than a couple years, so I want to keep the settings favorable to that at least at first.

That's why I was thinking 4-5 keepers to start and maybe making it 2 rookies and 2 second year players as keeper compulsory picks after the NFL draft. The rest would be redraft format, but we have a huge bench and play IDP as well as APY/PPR.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
1386545280_upside_down_horseshoe_crab.gif

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Holla at cha boi.

Our keeper league has an auction format. Would your league be open to that? If so, I can definitely set you on the right path.

-YTC

dirt

Trolltalitarian
I don't think we'll be doing auction. FAAB is about as sophisticated as we are ready for...

are there really no other dynasty/keeper players here? I am disappoint

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Latest incarnation:

2 drafts

rookie keepers (as many as needed) $30
redraft (possibly by order of league tenure with second-year players, then 3rd, 4th 5th) $100

players can be held for as long as needed but can only be replaced by same tenure

draft order is the next question

Still firming this up & looking into the best site to do it on

Might just keep it rookies & 2nd year players & redraft the rest

want the rookie draft pot to cumulatively add on to redraft pot so it gets bigger as seasons progress. Want players motivated to build into next season' s potential pot

dirt

Trolltalitarian
I would consider a true dynasty where all players on the roster are kept, but then what happens when a team dies/manager leaves? How does a new manager start w/o being at quite a disadvantage?

I guess I see the true dynasty format as something to strive for after 5 years or so. Leading up to that I figure we can just increase keepers. We already play with a 30 player roster.

Letting managers keep any and all rookies they draft seems viable but I'm worried they will just throw rookies away too fast to win right now.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
some DLF rankings:

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/dynasty-100/

I want to explore host sites coming up. DLF is like the big dog. I've seen others where you can sub positions like 2 TE or 1 RB 3 WR sets. When I tried to offer doing our league on one of these sites, my managers were more in favor of keeping it on a mainstream site like yahoo. I'm not sure if Yahoo is the perfect site for what I want to do in the long run... but will probably be exploring that here in the off-season.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
http://www.uthdynasty.com/2015/02/

this is another site I've been kinda checking out for a bit. It's related to the rotoworld dudes on twitter (I think it's Chad Parson's league). Anyway, a few of those dudes were willing to message me for a bit during the season, but I still haven't found the holy grail of text where all my questions can be answered in one body of work.

What I'm looking for ideally, would be an explanation for various formats of dynasty where we could start with one of the most user-friendly and least 'commitment' version. My group would probably be down to buy in for 3 years or 4 years tops before they would probably bock at the duration factor.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
the thing I'm not digging about having 3-4 year 'contracts' is actually tracking where players are in their contract. I want to avoid having two separate sites or a separate spreadsheet if at all possible. I'm pretty shitty with excel, but I guess I could learn. Also, my managers are fairly basic too.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
We've always used CBS Sports. It's the most expensive, but it's met our needs for over 15 years.

-YTC

dirt

Trolltalitarian
yeah, this site is supposed to be the most innovative out there. I'll be updating with league settings in a bit. There is huge flexibility here including letting managers adjust their line up with formation rosters like 2 TE, 3 WR, 1 RB... I'll explain as I go deeper into setting up the league.

I started to ask around on twitter some more since no one here seems to play this style... one of the contacts I made last season was IDPwithBee.

He's an incredible resource for IDP rankings. Every player decision he helped me with last season pretty much panned out.

https://twitter.com/IDPwithBEE_8o8

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Special Dynasty League Rules:

After each season the divisions will be re-cast. Starting in 2014 the division will be re-cast by Power Rankings. The 4 teams with the highest Power Rankings will be placed in one division. The next 4 teams in one division. And the lowest 4 Power Ranking teams in the final division.

After the first season there is an annual Rookie/Free Agent Draft. This draft is a 3 round Email Draft and is tentatively scheduled to start on the second Saturday in July each year. During the Rookie/Free Agent Draft rosters will be allowed to expand to accommodate all draft picks. Rosters must be cut back to 18 by September 1st. You will not be able to add players via Blind Bidding until you are back at the roster limit of 18 players. This draft will not start until there are 12 paid teams. The Draft will start 3 days after 12 teams have renewed and/or the orphaned teams have been sold. If a league does not have 12 paid teams by August 21st it will fold and all prepaid entries will be refunded to the owners of the teams. This draft is a fixed round draft (non-serpentine).

dirt

Trolltalitarian
1) Each owner may choose to keep 0, 1, or 2 players.
2) If kept, the owner loses a future draft pick 1 round higher than the round in which the player was initially chosen
3) Only drafted players can be kept (no waiver pick ups)
4) Traded players that were drafted are eligible to be kept by the owner they end the season with
5) Each player can be kept for a maximum of 3 years (with the 1 round penalty increasing each year)

Plotty

Tath Meacher
I'm more into the beisbol part of keeper leagues, could help you out too. League has grown so much we do live drafts on location and do things year round.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
I picked my format. Need to write charter next:

8 rookie keepers
7 vets.

Rookie draft will be slow draft after NFL draft, and vets will be redraft style 1st week of Sept. The catch is you can only draft 1 vet for each rookie you draft.

Rookie draft will be $30

Vet/redraft will be $100

30 man roster, I'm tooling-out the settings little by little by they will be similar to what we have been doing: IDP, APY, PPR/FD FAAB = $100

keepers are permanently owned

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I picked my format. Need to write charter next:

8 rookie keepers
7 vets.

Rookie draft will be slow draft after NFL draft, and vets will be redraft style 1st week of Sept. The catch is you can only draft 1 vet for each rookie you draft.

Rookie draft will be $30

Vet/redraft will be $100

30 man roster, I'm tooling-out the settings little by little by they will be similar to what we have been doing: IDP, APY, PPR/FD FAAB = $100

keepers are permanently owned
This just sounds fucking awful. Lawd.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
put this in ur mouf n barf to it:

MOBILE, Ala.: A full week of Senior Bowl practices has come and gone, so that means it's time take a look at the players who helped and hurt their stock in the 2015 NFL Draft.
It should be noted that this isn't a complete indictment on these players – for good or bad. But watching practices offers a different perspective. For the players who struggled, it should force people go back and double check what they saw in games.
As our coverage has noted previously, LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins and Washington defensive tackle Danny Shelton played as expected. That expectation was a high level of play, so they're not listed here. They should both be in the discussion for the top 12 picks.
STOCK UP

Players from Miami

With what the Miami players showed this week, it's almost impossible to figure out how the Hurricanes finished 6-7 this season. Tight end Clive Walford showed better athleticism than expected – especially on a diving catch Wednesday – and should be back in the discussion as being the first tight end drafted. Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett relied on his speed to beat defensive backs, whether he was working the slot or outside. Both of those players could be second-round picks. Linebacker Denzel Perryman looked as expected before he got injured. Cornerback Ladarius Gunter showed flashes. Really, that's all he needed to do. At 6-foot-1 and 203 pounds, a team is going to love Gunter's length and ability to get his hand up and tip away passes.
Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke

In an all-star game environment, it can be challenging for an established interior blocker to improve his stock. Basically, they are who we think they are. But Tomlinson was the exception all week. Of all the North blockers, none did better against Shelton than Tomlinson. He gets good leverage and ability to hold his position. I probably had Tomlinson ranked higher than most as a late second- to early third-round pick, but now he's getting buzz in that area.
Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke

Forget Crowder's height and hand size. Just watch him play. Hopefully that's what NFL teams do. If they do, they'll see a wide receiver who gets up field after the catch in a hurry and is a crisp route runner. Crowder is the type of wide receiver you can pick on the third day and he'll have a solidly productive rookie season.

star.png
NFL Draft
star.png

Latest mock draft features a trade for a QB

Dan Kadar
A history of terrible decisions and total failures

Jon Bois
Kevin White, CB, TCU

Because he's not the biggest cornerback, White has to rely on his instincts more so than any other cornerback in the Senior Bowl. Throughout the week he did that and seemed to play with an edge. He's a player people will have to go back to the tape on and make sure he wasn't just having one good week. But if his performance against West Virginia is any indication, he wasn't. White seems to have everything you want in a cornerback except size and length.
Shaq Mason, G, Georgia Tech

Speaking of a player's tape, Mason has tape that is hard to translate to the NFL since he played in a Georgia Tech option offense that always had him moving. In Mobile, he was asked to be immobile. Ha, that was a joke. Anyway, Mason showed he can hold his position thanks to good strength and leverage. Mason is a squatty blocker who can hold onto his blocks.
Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

After Shelton, the most consistently good defensive player for the North this week was Davis. He had a quiet season due to a lot of double teams. But he showed in Mobile, especially in one-on-one drills, that he's an incredibly skilled and powerful tackle. There is going to be a debate over the next couple of months about Davis and Malcom Brown of Texas about which one could slide into the first round.
Stephone Anthony, MLB, Clemson

There isn't a lot of flash to Anthony. He's just fast enough, just big enough and just instinctual enough. But when you combine all of those things, you have a solid three-down linebacker. When Perryman went down with an injury this week, Anthony seized the moment. He displayed a knack for filling a gap versus the run and enough fluidity to keep up in coverage. Anthony went from being a late Day 3 player to an early Day 3 player.
Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware

After Walford, the best tight end at the Senior Bowl was Boyle. At first he stood out for his run blocking and during pass blocking drills. But as practices progressed, he showed he has good hands and uses his frame to get open. His play in Mobile was reminiscent of Crockett Gilmore last year. Boyle isn't the fastest, but other than that he projects as a good No. 2 tight end and a good late-round pick.
Small-school gems

It wasn't just Boyle who looks like he'll make the successful jump to the NFL. On Thursday, you met Hobart College offensive lineman Ali Marpet. Samford safety Jaquiski Tartt had a good week. He is a physical safety, but showed he can hold up in coverage. In a draft class that needs that type of safety, Tartt dramatically improved his stock. Central Arkansas wide receiver Dezmin Lewis had the sort of week that should lock up a spot in the draft for him. He showed the ability to high point the ball and looks fluid and speedy. When you add in that he's 6-foot-3, you get solid prospect to mold. Northern Iowa running back David Johnson looked like the best all-around running back in practices. He can handle himself in pass protection and is a good runner. But it's his skills as a pass catcher that will keep him on an NFL roster. Johnson's versatility could lead to a productive NFL career.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/23/7877005/senior-bowl-stock-report-nfl-draft

dirt

Trolltalitarian
ok, so on the the task of drafting my league charter... it will resemble this format in a lot of ways:

LEAGUE ENTRY/MEMBERSHIP:
Punch Drunk Dynasty teams are reserved on a first-come-first-serve basis. All unpaid Franchises are to remain available for prospective owners to purchase. The Kommish reserves the right to deny or revoke league entry or reentry.
FRANCHISE RESERVATION: Due Date – April 1st
Each season beyond the inaugural season there is a non-refundable $25 reservation fee to reserve a Punch Drunk Dynasty Franchise.
FRANCHISE FEE: Due Date – June 1st
Franchise owners are required to pay the $100 Franchise Fee in full by June 1st each season. The total entry cost for each year is $125 ($25 Res. Fee + $100 Entry Fee) and the league prize fund is based on this entry. Like any league, Punch Drunk Dynasty has occasional turnover. This fee deadline provides ample time to returning owners and The Kommish to recruit new owners into the league if necessary. Additionally, this rule allows new owners to purchase the unpaid franchises starting June 2nd each season to insure that they have sufficient time to prepare for the upcoming draft.
ROSTER SETUP:
QB: 1, RB: 2, WR: 3, TE: 1, Flex (RB/WR/TE): 1, K: 1
DL: 2, LB: 2, DB: 2
Bench: 25
IR: 5
STARTUP DRAFT: Inaugural season only
In the inaugural season of Punch Drunk Dynasty there will be a Startup Draft that will take place in the month of July during the time in which the Rookie/Free Agent draft will take place in future seasons. Unclaimed teams will autodraft and those teams will be claimed by owners as they come in. This draft will be an Online Long-Running Draft.
PRE-DRAFT CUT DEADLINE: July 1st, 12:00pm ET. Does not apply to inaugural season.
Roster cuts must be completed by the July 1st (12:00pm ET) Cut Deadline each season. During the offseason all franchise owners are required to cut enough players from their Active Rosters to accommodate 10 rounds of mandatory draft picks from the Rookie/Free Agent Pool.
ANNUAL DEVELOPMENTAL DRAFT:
Each season beyond the inaugural season there will be a mandatory 10 round developmental draft consisting of the rookie and free agent player pool. The draft order is set to “Worst-to-First” based off of the previous season’s final standings. This draft will be an Online Long-Running Draft. (See STARTUP DRAFT above for inaugural season draft) that will take place in the month of July. There will be an 8 hour draft timer for each pick (timer is off from 12:00am-7:00am ET). Between the beginning of the draft until the PRESEASON CUT DEADLINE the max roster size will be 50 in order to accommodate the trading of draft picks. If there are draft related issues during the draft, please contact The Kommish.
WORST-TO-FIRST DRAFT ORDER:
The draft order is set according to the following criteria:
  1. “Last Pick” goes to the current League Champion (winner in the previous season’s Championship Game)
  2. “Next to Last Pick” goes to the current Runner-Up (runner-up in the previous season’s Championship Game)
  3. Playoff Teams: Draft order for playoff teams are ordered in reverse order of their previous season playoff finish. (See LEAGUE SCHEDULE & PLAYOFFS FORMAT below)
PRESEASON CUT DEADLINE: September 1st; 12:00pm ET
Following the draft rosters may be as large as 50 players until the PRESEASON CUT DEADLINE on September 1st. At this deadline rosters must be cut down to meet the required 40 player max roster size for the regular season.
PRESEASON WAIVER PERIOD:
A lot of things can change between the draft and the beginning of the season, and for that reason we have a Preseason Waiver period in which waiver claims for players may be processed during a short window prior to the beginning of the regular season. This waiver period will take place during the week leading up to Week 1 of the regular season each year.
LEAGUE SCHEDULE & PLAYOFFS FORMAT:
The schedule is randomized on August 1st each year. There is one division of 12 teams. Each team will play every other team once and two teams twice (Teams played in Weeks 1 and 2 will be repeats in Weeks 12 and 13).
The top six teams will advance to the playoffs in Week 14 with the following format:
  • Week 14: The #1 and #2 seeds get a first round playoff bye. #3 Seed versus #6 Seed, and #4 Seed versus #5 Seed.
  • Week 15: Winner of #4/#5 Matchup versus #1 Seed, and Winner of #3/#6 Matchup versus #2 Seed. 1st Round Losers play each other to determine 5th and 6th Place.
  • Week 16: 2nd Round Winners play to determine 1st and 2nd Place. 2nd Round Losers play each other to determine 3rd and 4th Place.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
GaytorfagTD mentioned that when you have a team that sucks, then your team sucks or some shit. I wanted to address that: the idea of a rookie draft to develop keepers and trade future draft picks for FA's should alleviate that with this 'keeper' concept.

I'm also toying with a 7th place 'blow ur team up' option. Since we play FAAB this option could work to enhance the FAAB savings throughout the season.

The idea is that if you miss the cut (we will have a 6th/7th place play-in) you can blow up your team for an early round pick (probably top 5) next season.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
I have to draft this charter and it will be a challenge to my ADD. Everyone in my league will bitch if it isn't perfect.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
here's a lil' more big board shit:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...g-board-leonard-williams-debuts-atop-rankings

With the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl completed and the NFL Scouting Combine about to get under way in Indianapolis, the pre-draft process has swung into high gear.
NFL Scouting Combine

Dates: Feb. 17-23
TV: NFL Network and NFL Combine Live

Combine coverage:

Video:

Photos:

With that in mind, I thought I would release my 2015 NFL Draft Big Board 1.0 based on information gathered from talking to scouts and watching film over the past few weeks. While I know my subtle changes will lead to a few interesting comments on Twitter (@BuckyBrooks), I'm more than happy to explain my rankings in greater detail.
2552486.jpg
1. Leonard Williams, USC, DT
Smooth-moving athlete with explosive quickness and impressive hand skills. Williams is just scratching the surface of his immense potential, but he is clearly the No. 1 prospect in the 2015 draft class.
2552485.jpg
2. Jameis Winston, Florida State, QB
The 2013 Heisman Trophy winner's off-field behavior overshadows his on-field skills, which show a pro-ready passer with a game that's ready for primetime. Winston's big-game moxie and leadership skills could help him become an elite quarterback early in his career.
2552487.jpg
3. Amari Cooper, Alabama, WR
Cooper is a polished playmaker with the tools to be a WR1 in any offense. Cooper is a precise route runner with strong hands and exceptional ball skills, plus he enters the NFL with valuable experience playing multiple positions in a pro-style offense that is the foundation for several teams across the league.
2552422.jpg
4. Kevin White, West Virginia, WR
The big-bodied pass catcher is soaring up the charts after exhibiting exceptional skills as the Mountaineers' WR1. White's exceptional hands and ball skills remind some evaluators of Larry Fitzgerald, which says a lot about his potential to anchor a passing game on the perimeter.

2552466.jpg
5. Marcus Mariota, Oregon, QB
The Heisman Trophy winner is an ultra-athletic playmaker capable of delivering explosive plays with his feet or arm. Although he will need some time to transition to the pro game after working in the Ducks' zone-read system, Mariota's athleticism and impeccable intangibles make him a worthwhile gamble as a franchise quarterback.
2552325.jpg
6. Danny Shelton, Washington, DT
Shelton is a dominant nose tackle with nimble feet, balance and body control. Shelton controls the point of attack as a run stuffer, yet is a credible threat as a pass rusher from the nose tackle position.

2552454.jpg
7. Landon Collins, Alabama, S
Collins is a rare breed as a rangy ball hawk with the instincts, toughness and physicality to be an effective run stopper near the box. He can play as a pure SS or make his living patrolling the deep middle as an active FS in a single-high safety system.
2552353.jpg
8. Brandon Scherff, Iowa, OT
Scherff is a big, physical edge blocker with exceptional strength and power. He might lack the athleticism to handle elite rushers off the edge, but he could move inside and become an elite offensive guard in a power-based offense.
2552409.jpg
9. DeVante Parker, Louisville, WR
Parker is a smooth route runner with outstanding hands and ball skills. Parker is a natural WR1 with big-play ability on the perimeter, yet he is capable of doing all of the dirty work between the hashes.

2552469.jpg
10. Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin, RB
Gordon is the most explosive runner in the 2015 class. He possesses the speed, quickness and burst to turn the corner, yet also flashes the power to survive and thrive between the tackles. Critics will suggest he is the product of the Badgers' system, but Gordon is a more talented back than the other runners who've thrived in the scheme before him.
2552446.jpg
11. Randy Gregory, Nebraska, OLB
The ultra-athletic Gregory is a long, rangy pass rusher with a knack for winning off the edge. He lacks elite first-step quickness, but his "bend and burst" makes him a nightmare to defend in one-on-one matchups.
2552489.jpg
12. Eddie Goldman, Florida State, DT
It's hard to find athletic interior defenders with Goldman's combination of size, strength and quickness. He can win with power or finish at the point of attack and shows a non-stop motor for a 300-pound playmaker.

2552451.jpg
13. Shane Ray, Missouri, DE
Ray is an explosive pass rusher with rare first-step quickness and burst. He can win with speed or power off the edge, yet displays the hand-to-hand combat skills to escape blockers on inside moves. Concerns about his size and athleticism prevent Ray from ranking higher on the list, but his non-stop motor will make him a hot commodity on draft day.
2552437.jpg
14. Dante Fowler, Jr., Florida, DE
Fowler is a hard-nosed football player with outstanding instincts, awareness and anticipation. Fowler lacks some key blue-chip traits (first-step quickness and snap-count anticipation) for a pass rusher, but he is a violent player capable of wreaking havoc as a complementary rusher.
2552455.jpg
15. Andrus Peat, Stanford, OT
The talented technician has been underappreciated throughout the draft process, but Peat will work his way up the charts when teams spend more time investigating his game. He is one of the few left tackle prospects in the class, and his savvy technique and sound footwork will allow him to shine at the marquee position as a pro.

2552493.jpg
16. Arik Armstead, Oregon, DE
It's uncommon to see a big, athletic defensive end with Armstead's length, body control and balance. He is just scratching the surface on his talent and potential, yet he is already exhibiting dominant qualities as a classic five-technique.
2552452.jpg
17. Ereck Flowers, Miami (Fla.), OT
Scouts are raving about Flowers' potential as a left tackle because of his balance, body control and agility. Although he remains a work in progress at the position, he exhibits the blue-chip traits evaluators covet in standout edge blockers at the next level.
2552488.jpg
18. Marcus Peters, Washington, CB
Despite the character concerns scouts have about Peters after his midseason dismissal at Washington, the long, rangy cover corner is arguably the most talented player at the position. He is a natural bump-and-run corner capable of also playing in zone coverage utilizing "off" technique and a polished back pedal.
2552448.jpg
19. Trae Waynes, Michigan State, CB
After playing field corner (wide side of the field) for the Spartans a season ago because of Darqueze Dennard's presence, Waynes displayed impressive talents as a lockdown corner in man coverage in 2014. He thrived as the Spartans' boundary corner (short side of the field) while exhibiting the footwork, athleticism and grit evaluators desire in top defensive backs.

2552475.jpg
20. Todd Gurley, Georgia, RB
If not for an ACL injury that prematurely ended Gurley's junior season, he would rank as a top 10 talent on this list. He is a big-bodied runner with exceptional balance, vision, body control and burst. If Gurley returns to form in 2015, the NFL must prepare for a Marshawn Lynch-like clone with big-time potential.
2552365.jpg
21. T.J. Clemmings, Pittsburgh, OT
A disappointing Senior Bowl exposed Clemmings' inexperience and limitations at offensive tackle, but the defensive end-turned-pass protector remains a tantalizing talent with big-time potential. He is light and active on his feet and displays the body control needed to eventually transition to left tackle as a pro.
2552301.jpg
22. Vic Beasley, Clemson, DE/OLB
The most polarizing prospect in the 2015 class possesses rare first-step quickness and burst as a pass rusher. Yet scouts have a tough time getting fired up over a 220-pound edge player with limitations as a run defender. Despite those concerns, Beasley will rank high on some board because of his exceptional speed, athleticism and pass-rush prowess.

College Football 24/7 is following seven 2015 draft prospects as they pursue their NFL dreams.
2552361.jpg
23. La'el Collins, LSU, OT
Collins is a rugged blocker with a powerful frame and solid technical skills. He is ideally suited to play right tackle or guard as a pro, but a team in need of a marquee tackle will give him every opportunity to play on the left to see if he has the savvy and athleticism to neutralize elite rushers in the NFL.
2552468.jpg
24. Maxx Williams, Minnesota, TE
Williams isn't a household name, but offensive coordinators around the NFL are salivating over his potential as a between-the-hashes playmaker. He is an exceptional pass catcher with strong hands and ball skills. He will remind some evaluators of a young Jeremy Shockey on the perimeter.
2552490.jpg
25. Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State, ILB
There is always a place in the NFL for a hard-nosed inside linebacker with outstanding instincts, awareness and anticipation. McKinney is a thumper in the middle, and his menacing presence will upgrade a defense in need of a playmaker in the box.
2552483.jpg
26. Malcom Brown, Texas, DT
Brown is a classic nose tackle with the size and girth to hold the point of attack in the middle. Brown is adept at snuffing out the run and flashes enough rush skills to push the pocket up the gut.

2552491.jpg
27. Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri, WR
The ultra-talented pass catcher is the biggest wild card in the 2015 class because of the risk vs. reward question that scouts will face regarding his playmaking potential and character concerns. On the field, he is a matchup nightmare with the size, athleticism and ball skills to dominate smallish defenders on the perimeter.
2552310.jpg
28. Denzel Perryman, Miami (Fla.), ILB
After dominating practices at the Senior Bowl, Perryman has the scouting community buzzing about his prospects as a "Mike" linebacker in the NFL. He is one of the most ferocious hitters in the college game, and his instincts could make him a star at the next level.
2552463.jpg
29. Jaelen Strong, Arizona State, WR
Strong is a rangy pass catcher with outstanding ball skills and hands. He is an intriguing WR1 candidate because of his size, but he must display better route-running skills and explosiveness in workouts to solidify that opinion in league circles.

2552458.jpg
30. Devin Funchess, Michigan, WR
The Michigan standout is listed as a wide receiver at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he might carve out a role as a hybrid tight end as a pro. He is a natural pass catcher with strong hands and sneaky athleticism. Although consistency has been an issue throughout his career, it is hard to find a talented, big-bodied playmaker with Funchess' potential.
2552261.jpg
31. Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest, CB
Johnson is a solid cover corner with the length and instincts to be a solid starter in the NFL. He lacks elite speed or burst, but consistently wins in coverage with savvy and guile.
2552447.jpg
32. Shaq Thompson, Washington, OLB
It's possible Thompson's athleticism and versatility will torpedo his stock on draft day. Scouts are uncertain about which position -- RB, SS or LB -- ideally suits his skills as a pro, which is why the team that selects him must have a clear plan for getting Thompson on the field. Given the impact a SS can have on the passing game as an enforcer in the middle, Thompson could be destined for a Kam Chancellor-like role as a pro.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
So here's my charter draft:

League is designed with rewarding deeper intricate knowledge of players keying on rookie draft picks that will develop. Rookie draft fees will be added to league purse incrementally with purse increasing by percentage of rookie draft fees each year. The point is to reward managers who build their dynasties. Goal will be to add winnings to purse in order to reward managers who win consecutive years in a row.

Draft structure is open for comment until the NFL draft.

Keeper league with 2 separate drafts. Rookie draft will happen after the NFL draft and will be a slow draft via email:

Email fantasy football draft - If you would prefer to draft over the course of several days or even weeks, you can conduct an email draft. MyFantasyLeague.com tracks all the details and sends emails after each pick to update everyone on the progress. You can keep things moving with the pre-draft option, so the system picks for them if they're not available when it's their turn.

Rookie draft will commence after the first weekend in May (after NFL draft). It will be 8 rounds and SFCL will allow 8 possible rookie keepers. The roster will be 30 players with 15 total keepers. FA/Vet draft will be 1st weekend in September.

Rookie draft will be $30; Vet/FA draft will be $100. Managers will be allowed to keep a total of 7 vets (and 8 rookies). BUT, managers will only be allowed to draft 1 vet per rookie drafted. Manages who don't participate in rookie draft will not be allowed to keep players. Vet/FA draft will be 20 rounds and FA's are live immediately after FA/Vet draft. Keepers are forever, max 15 keepers.

Draft will be random selection for inaugural rookie draft. Vet/FA draft will be in reverse order of rookie draft and any managers not present at rookie draft will be allowed priority in draft order to enhance competition. Future draft order for for rookie draft will be in order of power-rankings for season W-L record. Draft order for FA/Vets will be in reverse order of rankings.

Before the first week of playoffs in week 14, teams in the 6-7 rankings will have a play-in to decide who goes to the playoffs. The 6th playoff spot will be decided by a head-to-head playoff match up with the 7th ranked team. At that point, if the 7th rank team that doesn't make the playoffs wants to option
BLOW UP TEAM, the manager of this team will be allowed to give up all keepers for the 2nd round pick in the next rookie draft and 4th round pick in next FA/Vet draft.

Positions and Scoring:

Will reflect past IDP, APY, PPR settings with the addition of new formation settings as well as 2 DE/DT, 1 SAF, 1 CB added. Scoring settings will match the previous yahoo settings closely and league may possibly be mirrored on yahoo for managers that insist on using stat tracker (no promises but looking into this).

Keepers will be derived from first 7 picks of Vet/FA draft

Last edited:

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Urtopia, what is a decent solution to the draft order challenge presented in both rookie and FA/Vet inaugural drafts?

random

snake

reverse of random for vet/random for rookie?

dirt

Trolltalitarian
So, what do people think? is this format only conducive to auction? We have done 20 round snake draft in the past and have had some great draft parties.

Snake is simple format whereas auction will require more explaining... but is auction just better for this format? I'm leaning more towards randomizing the rookie draft and then making the Vet draft reverse order, but not snake. I'm pretty conflicted about this stuff though because I know some will see it as too confusing

dirt

Trolltalitarian
finished all my scoring settings and the projections are coming back tight AF. This site lets us do formation rosters where you can run 4 WR's or ACE. I'm getting pumped!

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 7.16.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 7.16.24 PM.png

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Fantasy Football: 2015 RB Rankings, ADP & Sleepers
Patrick Mayo, Staff Writer May 31, 2015

*** 2015 RB Rankings Special Guest Ranker – since Mayo refuses to list Mark Ingram or Trent Richardson – “Hollywood” Mike Clay
Eddie Lacy
Le’Veon Bell
C.J. Anderson
Jamaal Charles
Adrian Peterson
Alanis Justin Forsett
Arian Foster
LeSean McCoy
Jeremy Hill
Marshawn Lynch
DeMarco Murray
Matt Forte
Oh, hai Mark Ingram (Special Guest Rank: “Hollywood” Mike Clay)
Carlos Hyde
Joique Bell
Jonathan Stewart
Alfred Morris
Lamar THRILLER
LeGarrette Blount
Rashad Jennings
Andre Ellington
Latavius Murray
MELVIN!!! Gordon
Isaiah Crowell
Tevin Coleman
Giovani Bernard
Ryan Mathews
Joseph Randle
Danny Woodhead
Fred Jackson
Chris Ivory
Frank Gore
C.J. Spiller
Doug Martin
Darren McFadden
Todd Gurley
David Cobb
Terrance West
Roy Helu
T.J. Yeldon
Shane Vereen
David Johnson
Knile Davis
James Starks
Darren Sproles
Reggie Bush
Bishop Sankey
Tre Mason
Denard Robinson
Jonas Gray
DeAngelo Williams
Travaris Cadet
Alfred Blue
Charles Sims
Benny Cunningham (and his wife, Oprah)
Ameer Abdullah
Dan Herron
Branden Oliver
Javorius Allen
Devonta Freeman
Ronnie Hillman
Knowshon Moreno
Antone Smith
He went to Jerick McKinnon
Christine Michael
Zac Stacy
Jeremy Langford
Theo Riddick
Montee Ball
Khiry Robinson
Lorenzo Taliaferro
James White
Stevan Ridley
Duke Johnson
Andre Williams
Vick Ballard
Silas Redd
Ahmad Bradshaw
Jay Ajayi
Bilal Powell
Pierre Thomas
Lance Dunbar
Dexter McCluster
Steven Jackson
Damien Williams
Toby Gerhart
Robert Turbin
Mike Tolbert
#DANGERZONE Dri Archer
Marcel Reece
Donald Brown
Ka’Deem Carey
Matt Jones
Stepfan Taylor
Fozzy Whittaker
De’Anthony Thomas
Storm Johnson
Chris Thompson
Kerwynn Williams
Matt Asiata
Jacquizz Rodgers
Kendal Hunter
Tyler Gaffney
Anthony Dixon
Ben Tate
Trent Richardson (Special Guest Rank: “Hollywood” Mike Clay)
Shonn Greene
Ryan Williams
Chris Polk
Chris Johnson

dirt

Trolltalitarian
http://rotoviz.com/2015/06/5-fantasy-draft-ideas-to-win-your-league/?hvid=24XeyG

5 Killer Fantasy Strategies to Kick Off the Summer

There has been a lot of great content at RotoViz lately. So much so that your head may be swirling with different ideas. I wanted to help sort through the noise of all the information, and give you my five best fantasy draft ideas right now to win your re-draft leagues.

Stick With Zero RB

When Shawn Siegele penned his original piece on the Zero RB strategy, he painted a picture of a game plan that was anti-fragile and took advantage of what is a constantly changing NFL environment. This year, the RB position seems as fragile as ever, making Zero RB an even stronger strategy than it was when Siegele wrote his piece almost two years ago. Seriously, almost every RB has some kind of legitimate question mark, even at the top. Here’s a rundown (inspired by James Todd in our RotoViz email thread) of the top 12 RB according to the Best Ball ADP App:
  1. Le’Veon Bell – Suspended for three games. Is he worth waiting for?
  2. Jamaal Charles – Older and rushing yards have decreased each of the last two seasons.
  3. Eddie Lacy – Can he maintain his much improved efficiency from last season? Only saw 246 carries last season.
  4. Adrian Peterson – 30 years old and played in just one game last season. His status with the Vikings is still up in the air.
  5. Marshawn Lynch – Over 2,000 career carries, and has a chronic back issue. Will Seattle throw more in the red zone?
  6. Matt Forte – Older and just lost Marc Trestman. He should see a decline in receptions and wasn’t an efficient rusher in 2014.
  7. DeMarco Murray – Coming off a monstrous 436 carries including playoffs. Workload sure to decline, can he make it up with efficiency?
  8. LeSean McCoy – Leaving Chip Kelly for a slow paced Greg Roman system that never afforded Frank Gore more than 28 receptions.
  9. Arian Foster – Hasn’t stayed healthy in two seasons and will be 29 by Week 1.
  10. C.J. Anderson – Will he be able to hold down the starting job? Will he be a workhorse? Is he talented or did he catch lightning in a bottle in 2014?
  11. Jeremy Hill - Will play in a committee with Gio Bernard. Will the Bengals play with enough leads to lean on him?
  12. Justin Forsett – A career journeyman, has he found a home in Baltimore? Wasn’t payed a ton and faces quality competition.
These are supposed to be the 12 best RBs to draft, and yet I’m not sure I would feel comfortable drafting any of them except maybe Bell if his suspension is reduced. As a result, I think that drafters would be best suited taking pass catchers and RBs who could benefit the most from the noise of the NFL season.
Invest in Rookie RBs (Except Todd Gurley)

Rookie RBs are typical targets for a Zero RB strategy, but can provide value regardless of draft approach. Last season, we were let down by top rookie RB Bishop Sankey, but Tre Mason, Isaiah Crowell, and Andre Williams all provided solid production at certain parts of the season. Oh, and Jeremy Hill was an absolute beast. Here’s the best part for 2015: the RB talent is better than last year’s. Case in point, when Ameer Abdullah went with pick 54 overall in the 2015 draft, the same position as Sankey did in 2014, he was the fourth RB off the board. I’m not interested in top 10 pick Todd Gurley, since he may (should?) miss the first six games of the year while rehabbing a torn ACL, but there are plenty other rookie options available:
I’m not thrilled with Melvin Gordon’s ADP of RB13 right now in MFL10’s, but considering that the back right before him is Forsett and the RB right after him (Mark Ingram) has never rushed for 1,000 yards and faces competition from a free agent signee making more guaranteed money, I don’t hate it either. The Chargers have a pretty good offense and traded up to nab the former Badger. Also, he has a great chance to exceed 250 touches as a rookie.
Continuing, there are even more rookies worth drafting. T.J. Yeldon has a great chance to be successful this season considering his size and destination, and is going off the board at RB22. Tevin Coleman should have no trouble beating out Devonta Freeman:

Freeman wasn’t a great athlete despite his size, and wasn’t much of a workhorse at Florida State. He was also drafted 30 picks later than Coleman was, and the coaching staff that drafted him is out. At RB27, Coleman is dripping with value.
Later in drafts, Jay Ajayi could be the perfect Zero RB value, coming it at RB38 off the board. There are also four late round re-draft options worth looking at. Rookie RBs exist all over the board that should help fantasy owners in 2015.
Avoid Rookie WR (Except Breshad Perriman)

Take a look at how the ADP for the top five rookie WRs from last year compares to this year (ADP data from My Fantasy League):
Top 5 Rookie WR by ADP - 2014

Search:
[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|233x@}Player{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|105x@}Year{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|186x@}Pos Rank{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|121x@}ADP{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tfoot}
{tr}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}Average{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}2014{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}40.40{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}95.88{/th}
{/tr}
{/tfoot}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sammy Watkins{/td}
{td}2014{/td}
{td}33{/td}
{td}74.46{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Mike Evans{/td}
{td}2014{/td}
{td}40{/td}
{td}96.78{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kelvin Benjamin{/td}
{td}2014{/td}
{td}44{/td}
{td}106.09{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Brandin Cooks{/td}
{td}2014{/td}
{td}36{/td}
{td}82.99{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Jordan Matthews{/td}
{td}2014{/td}
{td}49{/td}
{td}119.10{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Top 5 Rookie WR by ADP - 2015

[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|208x@}Player{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|106x@}Year{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|182x@}Pos Rank{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1|103x@}ADP{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tfoot}
{tr}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}Average{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}2015{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}32.80{/th}
{th=colspan:1|rowspan:1}75.00{/th}
{/tr}
{/tfoot}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Amari Cooper{/td}
{td}2015{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}50.81{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kevin White{/td}
{td}2015{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}65.66{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nelson Agholor{/td}
{td}2015{/td}
{td}34{/td}
{td}76.73{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Breshad Perriman{/td}
{td}2015{/td}
{td}39{/td}
{td}88.01{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}DeVante Parker{/td}
{td}2015{/td}
{td}41{/td}
{td}93.81{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
It would appear that the efforts of the incredible 2014 WR class has impacted how the 2015 crop of rookies are being drafted. A snapshot of this is given in the top five rookies off the board, as 2015 draftees are going about eight spots earlier among WRs, and a whopping 20 spots overall. This makes the rookie WRs a hard sell for me right now, as they don’t present the same kind of value as they did last year. My lone exception to this is Breshad Perriman, who has perhaps the highest ceiling of any rookie WR. He is being taken fourth among rookie WR and mostly in line with last year’s class, so I think he could still end up a major value this year.
Draft Eli Manning

I could have titled this “wait forever on quarterback”, but it made more sense to highlight my favorite late QB target. My first contribution to RotoViz is a stance that I am sticking to this draft season. Eli Manning is still going as just QB13 despite his resurgence under new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo. Justin Winn did the math on Odell Beckham, and determined that while he is primed to regress, he could do so significantly and still finish as THE WR1. The Giants also have another undervalued WR on their roster to go along with proven pass-catching RBs Shane Vereen and Rashad Jennings. The best arbitrage on all of this talent, especially Beckham, is to draft Manning. If you’re going to wait on QB, there is perhaps no better target.
Wait on Tight End

I should note that Siegele recommends taking an elite player at one of the “onesie” positions, so I will probably still own some shares of Rob Gronkowski this season. That said, think about how much has changed with regards to Gronk in the last year. Coming off of an ACL tear suffered during the 2013 season, there was some speculation on what he could do for 2014. As a result, he was a late second/early third round pick in MFL10’s last season. He then put in a dominant season, playing in the most games he has since 2011 (15), and averaging 17.8 fantasy points per game in PPR formats.
Fast forward to 2015 and Gronk is the fifth player off the board. This despite being without QB Tom Brady for the first four games of the season. And despite his 15 game season last year, Gronk has still missed another 15 the last three seasons. I think drafters would be better off waiting at the position this season and snagging late values like Josh Hill, Kyle Rudolph, and Virgil Green. You could even stream the position as outlined by C.D Carter.