• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Lets Remember Some WBL Drafts 2070!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think 2069 was a good place to start the draft recaps, since I believe that was the first post ROIDS season? Lets go ahead and recap the 2070 draft and work our way forward from there! I don't have a #SPREADSHEET for this one, so I won't be able to tell ya'll how stupid my scout is (Douglass tries hard). I'm going to try a different approach this time, and discuss the 1st-3rd round picks for each team!

Here is a reference in alphabetical order, I'll go through them in draft order!
AMD - G. Ridha (1)G. Costa (2)B. Tarabaev (3)
BUF - B. Gizante (1)J. Gómez (2)J. McCord (3)
CAI - J. Kaltenbach (1)R. Boersma (2)E. Gökalp (3)
DUB - R. Cole (2)N. Thiébaut (3)
FB - J. Quintana (1)Z. bin Subhi (2)J. Arnold (3)
HEL - D. Penny (1)K. Hanssen (2)S. Birkeland (2)S. Hwang (3)S. Barber (3)
IST - C. van de Laak (1)R. bin Nadir (2)A. Ávila (3)
KAB - H. Maldonado (1)T. Patrone (3)
LV - C. McBord (2)
LIS - C. Brigatti (1)D. Gray (2)L. Ronan (3)
LRM - A. Dakarai (1)M. Na'il (2)
MIA - J. Gilbert (1)D. Bates (1)P. Mora (2)T. Sato (3)
MOS - R. Rodríguez (1)E. Barnes (2)
NDR - R. Hernández (1)D. Thomas (2)
SEO - M. Monjardino (1)A. Crawford (2)D. Lok (3)
UK - B. Heseltine (1)R. Pérez (2)K. Basgil (3)V. Castillo (3)E. Zagomba (3)

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

Istanbul -> Paris had the first pick in the draft and took CLIFF... but CLIFF took 5 WBL before breaking the 1 WAR WON mark, but has gotten better every season since, putting up 10 WARS in the last two seasons. CLIFF is an elite bat for a middle infield position, but he's a bit of a liability in the field for the past few seasons. @jdlikewhoa has similar guys throughout his lineup, thus his quest to collect all the high stuff pitchers like they were POKEMON. JD may eventually want to train CLIFF to play 1B to extend his career well into his 30s
1569458797219.png

bin Nadir has been a decently productive middle reliever for the past 4 seasons, with 3.35 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in a little over 300 innings, solid value for a 2nd rounder!
1569459072379.png

The third round pick, Andres Avila, was drafted as a SS but never really had the range to play it at the WBL level. He has been in the WBL for 4 seasons now, but OTTO had him playing DH mostly, because he never played anything but SS in the minors and sucked at it. He put up good hitting numbers at DH but was really losing a lot of value by not playing a position. MR. MANAGER suggested that @hayvis move Avila to 3B in spring training because he would be an ACTUAL 3B! Now he's a REAL 3B and is putting up a 4 WAR season! @hayvis has responded to this success by scheming to move him back to SS so that he can be more like @jdlikewhoa and maximize BAT POWER while not caring about defense! This is an amazing value for a 3rd round pick!
1569459228590.png

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
In 2069, the riggers tried a POST DOUGLASS MINI TANK because they didn't have an identity, so the finished with a franchise record 100 loss season and got the 2nd pick in the 2070 draft! As you may remember from the previous draft review, the mini tank worked out nicely and the riggers won the SHIP in 2071. Not quite @worst2first, but 2ndWorst2First!

With the #2 pick, NDR selected 2B/3B/Talisman Ruben Hernandez from Syracuse. Ruben was well developed coming out of college and therefore played a single minor league season split between AA and AAA and got a CUP OF COFFEE in the 2071 SHIP season before joining the team in the playoffs as a TALISMAN! His Talismanic powers helped the riggers win the SHIP! Hernandez had (and reached) 65 contact potential at one point, but he started dropping off quickly!

He had 2 decent 3+ WAR seasons before suffering an early decline and then had a really bad year in 2076 before being replaced in the 25 man roster by EXCITING NEW PROSPECT MORGAN JONES! He toiled away for a year as a backup in 2077 before NDR let him go to free agency. I believe he is retired now since he doesn't appear in the FA list. Not a true BUST, a productive player for a few years, but certainly not the type of player you want with the highest ever draft pick for the franchise. Those slappy DIME A DOZEN bats don't play too well when the contact rating drops to 50.
1569459872004.png

With their 2nd round pick, NDR took another TALISMAN player in Catcher Dustin Thomas. Dustin has been the starting catcher for NDR for 8 seasons and is still relatively affordably priced because he's got HIGH LOYALTY and he's not really that good! He's won a little over 13 WARS, but keeps the team in line as a CAPTAIN. I'd say this is a successful 2nd round pick.
1569460264134.png

No 3rd round pick, can't remember the trade.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

NEXT UP WE GOT UK! @NML

UK picked 3rd overall and grabbed Brad Heseltine. UK then traded him to AMD for MUSTACHE, who won many wars for UK. Bad Heseltine then went on to win 30 WARS for AMD. @doh then signed him for $3M in the off season because nobody was paying attention? Now he's hitting 1.000 OPS and winning nearly 4 WARS at 1B, exactly what LV needed to push for 115 wins! He's probably going to bounce around the league on 1 year DH contracts for a few more seasons and I predict he'll cross the 40 WAR mark, a good 1st round pick!
1569461669328.png

R Perez is dead and links to a 15 year old, he is not remembered! Presumably not a great pick with a high 2nd!

K Basgil is not dead, but turned into an ALL YELLOW BAT who can play some mean defense at 3B. He won almost exactly 0 WARS in 4 seasons for UK, and now he's shitting hisself for KABUL/OTTO! I think this is average for a 3rd rounder, at least he made the WBL. These all yellow AVERAGE DAN bats tend to be worse than you'd expect. A player with a similar bat but 55 in each rating is almost exponentially better because that 50 to 55 rating jump seems to be a threshold.
1569462190269.png

Vicente Castillo is a utility infielder who played 7 seasons for UK. He finished just below 0 total WARS, but to me this actually counts as a really nice/successful 3rd round pick. @NML had a cheap utility IF guy for years and didn't have to go spend on a guy in FA. This is exactly what you need from most 3rd round picks to be a successful long term franchise. He last played in 2078, and is presumably enjoying his time hunting!
1569462455959.png

NML collected some 3rd round picks in this draft, so he must have liked the depth or just been really #engaged. Eneas also made the WBL in 2078 and played backup catcher for 2 seasons in UK. I don't like this pick quite as much as the last two guys, because I need my bench guys to have at least neutral personalities. SHELL isn't bringing enough to the plate to put up with a possible clubhouse issue. I'd take any random body as a backup catcher over a 490k guy with a bad personality.

1569462693984.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
BUF -B. Gizante (1)J. Gómez (2)J. McCord (3)

Buffalo selected GIANT GIZANTE with the 1-4, and brought him up through the minor leagues before playing him in the 2071 playoffs (Buffalo used to make the playoffs!). He hit the piss out the ball with 7 hits, including a HR, in 3 games. Buffalo then traded him to False Bay, where he won about 5 total WARS in 4 seasons. He was then traded back to Buffalo where he won 3 WARS in 3 seasons! He's currently playing in AMD where he's winning 0 WAR in 1 season!So here's the catch... GIANT put up >.850 OPS for most of his career... while playing RF with <40 range and accumulating a wheelchair-esque -100ZRs!! I wonder if this contributed to @Yankee151 's new "2 WARS BY SHOWING UP" theory? I think I'd move GIANT to DH/bench bat and let that CHARMING personality add to the chemistry.

1569463059435.png

Juan Gomez is a 2B/3B who started or split time in Buffalo for 6 seasons before moving on to Fortaleza and then Lisbon. He won 1.5-1.8 WARS several times and had a couple of -1 WAR seasons, resulting in a career total of 2.3 WARS during that time. This is why I decided to add more rounds to the review, because I like remembering average guys!
1569463575196.png

With the 3rd round pick, Buffalo drafted BICEPS McCORD, who was a backup catcher for 5 seasons, winning 0 total wars! He contributed a positive personality to the organization while working through the minor leagues and made the WBL as a backup with a good personality while he was on some 490k cheapness. Similar to NML's 3rd round guy I reviewed above, but due to the personality, I consider this backup catcher a successful 3rd round pick!
1569463784200.png

jdlikewhoa

I think 2069 was a good place to start the draft recaps, since I believe that was the first post ROIDS season? Lets go ahead and recap the 2070 draft and work our way forward from there! I don't have a #SPREADSHEET for this one, so I won't be able to tell ya'll how stupid my scout is (Douglass tries hard). I'm going to try a different approach this time, and discuss the 1st-3rd round picks for each team!

Here is a reference in alphabetical order, I'll go through them in draft order!
AMD - G. Ridha (1)G. Costa (2)B. Tarabaev (3)
BUF - B. Gizante (1)J. Gómez (2)J. McCord (3)
LV - C. McBord (2)
MOS - R. Rodríguez (1)E. Barnes (2)
SEO - M. Monjardino (1)A. Crawford (2)D. Lok (3)
Good God I hope those were auto picks. All those dudes are :turrible:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Nothing gets me more excited in these draft revisits than seeing what @TonyGin&Juice was up to! Was this the year he drafted some BUMS, or some stud he'd reward with a $30M contract? Tony had both the #5 and #6 picks from wheeling and dealing, I'm so pumped for this review!

With the 1-5, Tony selected Joey Gilbert from FLORIDA with 70/50/50 potential and a HEATER! Joey has an amazing fastball, but the rest of his pitches struggled to develop and it looks like Tony spent the last 7 years trying to decide if he fit as a starter or in the bullpen? While he never reached the STUFF potential, he did get a control bump which helped. In 800 innings he has a 4.04 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP. He's having a rough year now, so this might be his last season as a starter. It looks like he's a free agent at the end of the season, but he might have a bit of life left as a reliever somewhere, since he does still have one great pitch. He's got kinda a shitty personality and "won't form a long term attachment with a team," which probably doesn't bother tony too much! This isn't exactly what you want from a top 5 pick, but at least he's provided some value.
1569468759194.png

With the 1-6, Tony selected Dennis "Master" Bates, a good teammate who never misses the chance to golf or play a new position. Dennis is listed as a 3B, but Tony snorted some (insert drug) and micromanaged his minor league career and spring training such that he's a 55+ defender at 6 positions. In the WBL he's mostly played 2B, SS, 3B, and LF. OSA originally predicted Bates would have 60 contact, but he never got there and losing 10 points in that category will just crush hitting stats. Dennis has won a collective 1 WAR in 6 WBL seasons, not what you want with the 1-6. That being said, you have to applaud tony for making lemonade out of a lemon because BATES is a super utility player who can slot in wherever Tony needs a body and is still making less than $1M.
1569469095461.png

P Mora = Dead and currently listed as a regen
T Soto = Dead and currenlty listed as a regen
Perhaps Tony can tell us what happened with these two... or at least which off-ramp the bodies are buried beneath!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Mr. Radpants was 6th in the draft order, so he traded his 1st to Tony for something! Ya'll remember the details of this trade? Who FLEECED whom? I'll go ahead and cover the rest of Rad's picks in the appropriate 6th place slot.

With his 2nd round pick, Rad selected one of those mislabeled "starting pitchers" that projects better in a relief role. Royce "Rust" Cole was alleged to have 50/60/70 potential as a SP by the OSA. Radpants saw through the low stuff ranking by identifying a "not even a SP" who has 2 awesome pitches and would transition well into a productive RP with good stamina. RUST never hit his movement potential, topping out at 50, otherwise he could have been a truly beastly relief pitcher because his 2 good pitches topped out at 70! Mr. Aluminum and Ash had a rough start to his WBL career, but has been a productive relief pitcher for the last 4 seasons. Being an extreme flyball pitcher in a bandbox is tough! Royce should have several more productive seasons as a reliever on a nice low salary, and he adds the SPARKPLUG character trait to motivate the boys by saying weird shit! I think this is a good 2nd round pick, finding a player that can contribute something positive at the WBL level, while also adding some good chemistry!

1569470061612.png

Rad's 3rd round pick was a HIGH POTENTIAL OR BUST guy who had 80/65/40 ratings when drafted. If he somehow found control he could be a GOAT! Unfortunately for Rad, he never got that bump! He never made the WBL. Still, I think this is a good strategy for a 3rd round pick because he has a great personality and if he gets a ratings bump in one category he turns into a legit stud. With 3rd round picks I either look for WBL role players or LONG SHOTS who can make it big with a rating bump in one category, especially with those intangibles to bank on! Instead of playing in the WBL, he helped Cleveland and @hayvis fight for the AA ShIP!

1569470626889.png

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Next up we got KABUL. I think @Wolfman21 was still drafting at this point, so minus well tag the man.

With the 1-7 Kabul selected CSU RAM Hector Maldonado, a barely even a corner outfielder with 55 contact, 60 power, and 40 eye potential and good gap ratings. Maldonado was pretty much fully developed and made his appearance in the WBL after a short stay in the minors in 2071, winning almost 1 war in a partial season. From 2072-2076 he was a productive player, winning 12 WARS, hitting over .850 OPS while being a partial liability in the field! His hitting and range ratings then dropped off and he won 0 WARS and then became a free agent before retiring. He reminds me of the NDR draft pick, Ruben Hernandez, both fully developed CAN'T MISS guys coming out of college who had brief careers and then fell off at age 27. A productive 1st round pick, but he fizzled before age 30
1569471299553.png

Patrone = DEAD REGEN!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
LRM somehow finished in the middle of the league and had the 8th overall pick. Wasting the 8th pick probably feels better than wasting the 1-1, so the @bruin @bruin228 's rejoice! I imagine they found somewhere between 1 WAR and 228 WARS with these draft picks, but lets find out!

You may remember Ambo from my superlatives thread where he won a @TonyGin&Juice MONTANA nickname last season for winning -0.2 WARS while making $15M/season (and still signed through 2081! Tony is a classic NOT EVEN A CORNER OUTFIELDER who can hit .850 OPS while barely putting up a WAR WON because of his fielding. Things actually looked great for Ambo when he won over 4 WARS playing left field in 2072. He hit over .900 OPS while ONLY being -11 ZR in LF! Ambo continued to smash and mash for several years, winning a collective 10 WARS (before losing some) while racking up approximately -100 ZR in the field! This was especially awesome in 2074 and 2075 when he was a productive hitter but won -40ZR in 2 seasons! WOW, that's -4 WARS JUST FOR SHOWING UP! One has to wonder why he wasn't trained to play 1B or even just played as a DH sooner? That RHB split would look sweet as a backup 1B and partial DH coming off the bench as a switch hitter on LHB starts! Ambo would have won 20+WARS if not wheeling around the outfield! This was actually a decent pick, IMO, it's just misuse/abuse and a bad contract on top that limited his WBL impact.

1569472327994.png

Not the good NAIL was a utility player pick with some wheels. If he gets a bump to 50/55 contact he would be a good player. He didn't get that bump and therefore toiled away in the minors for YEARS before making a brief appearance for UK in 2079 to prove once and for all why he wasn't a WBL player! By the time his bat developed, he was still swinging it from the wrong end and hit .209... and by that point his youthful range had already abandoned him, meaning he didn't even win wars just for showing up! He'll be able to tell his grandbabbies he played in the WBL, and they'll be impressed for a few years until they look up his stats. This is how I felt/feel about my uncle Ricky(RIP) who played for the Royals! (poorly for 10 games!)
1569472903153.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Dakarai bout to win a AAA championship, so who's laughing now??

I actually thought he'd be a nice DH pair to Brigatti... then I remembered you also have mustache lol. Nothing like $30M combined for 2 DHs who could play against RHP! I've had a couple of seasons in the past where I had enough SUPER UTILITY guys that I could Platoon DH with 2 trogs. That was fun. I had the MUSTARD TIGER making like $25M hitting partial DH!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I actually thought he'd be a nice DH pair to Brigatti... then I remembered you also have mustache lol. Nothing like $30M combined for 2 DHs who could play against RHP! I've had a couple of seasons in the past where I had enough SUPER UTILITY guys that I could Platoon DH with 2 trogs. That was fun. I had the MUSTARD TIGER making like $25M hitting partial DH!
Moustache at least is worth an extra 5M with tickets and can maybe pass in the field as needed. Dakarai is just a nightmare. I don't have space for all these guys, Brigatti, Miyashita, Byron Greer eventually when he becomes a pumpkin... So that's why I'm not getting any more trog bats! Other than Benzai who I just drafted!

giphy.gif

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
And by 'when Greer turns into a Pumpkin', I mean he already has and would be worth 3 WAR at least if not for the -7 ZR in RF!

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
LRM somehow finished in the middle of the league and had the 8th overall pick. Wasting the 8th pick probably feels better than wasting the 1-1, so the @bruin @bruin228 's rejoice! I imagine they found somewhere between 1 WAR and 228 WARS with these draft picks, but lets find out!

You may remember Ambo from my superlatives thread where he won a @TonyGin&Juice MONTANA nickname last season for winning -0.2 WARS while making $15M/season (and still signed through 2081! Tony is a classic NOT EVEN A CORNER OUTFIELDER who can hit .850 OPS while barely putting up a WAR WON because of his fielding. Things actually looked great for Ambo when he won over 4 WARS playing left field in 2072. He hit over .900 OPS while ONLY being -11 ZR in LF! Ambo continued to smash and mash for several years, winning a collective 10 WARS (before losing some) while racking up approximately -100 ZR in the field! This was especially awesome in 2074 and 2075 when he was a productive hitter but won -40ZR in 2 seasons! WOW, that's -4 WARS JUST FOR SHOWING UP! One has to wonder why he wasn't trained to play 1B or even just played as a DH sooner? That RHB split would look sweet as a backup 1B and partial DH coming off the bench as a switch hitter on LHB starts! Ambo would have won 20+WARS if not wheeling around the outfield! This was actually a decent pick, IMO, it's just misuse/abuse and a bad contract on top that limited his WBL impact.

View attachment 9254

Not the good NAIL was a utility player pick with some wheels. If he gets a bump to 50/55 contact he would be a good player. He didn't get that bump and therefore toiled away in the minors for YEARS before making a brief appearance for UK in 2079 to prove once and for all why he wasn't a WBL player! By the time his bat developed, he was still swinging it from the wrong end and hit .209... and by that point his youthful range had already abandoned him, meaning he didn't even win wars just for showing up! He'll be able to tell his grandbabbies he played in the WBL, and they'll be impressed for a few years until they look up his stats. This is how I felt/feel about my uncle Ricky(RIP) who played for the Royals! (poorly for 10 games!)
View attachment 9255

At least I didn't pick any RAMS

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Nothing gets me more excited in these draft revisits than seeing what @TonyGin&Juice was up to! Was this the year he drafted some BUMS, or some stud he'd reward with a $30M contract? Tony had both the #5 and #6 picks from wheeling and dealing, I'm so pumped for this review!

With the 1-5, Tony selected Joey Gilbert from FLORIDA with 70/50/50 potential and a HEATER! Joey has an amazing fastball, but the rest of his pitches struggled to develop and it looks like Tony spent the last 7 years trying to decide if he fit as a starter or in the bullpen? While he never reached the STUFF potential, he did get a control bump which helped. In 800 innings he has a 4.04 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP. He's having a rough year now, so this might be his last season as a starter. It looks like he's a free agent at the end of the season, but he might have a bit of life left as a reliever somewhere, since he does still have one great pitch. He's got kinda a shitty personality and "won't form a long term attachment with a team," which probably doesn't bother tony too much! This isn't exactly what you want from a top 5 pick, but at least he's provided some value.
View attachment 9248

With the 1-6, Tony selected Dennis "Master" Bates, a good teammate who never misses the chance to golf or play a new position. Dennis is listed as a 3B, but Tony snorted some (insert drug) and micromanaged his minor league career and spring training such that he's a 55+ defender at 6 positions. In the WBL he's mostly played 2B, SS, 3B, and LF. OSA originally predicted Bates would have 60 contact, but he never got there and losing 10 points in that category will just crush hitting stats. Dennis has won a collective 1 WAR in 6 WBL seasons, not what you want with the 1-6. That being said, you have to applaud tony for making lemonade out of a lemon because BATES is a super utility player who can slot in wherever Tony needs a body and is still making less than $1M.
View attachment 9249

P Mora = Dead and currently listed as a regen
T Soto = Dead and currenlty listed as a regen
Perhaps Tony can tell us what happened with these two... or at least which off-ramp the bodies are buried beneath!

Joey Gilbert should have been, at a minimum, a solid 3/4 starter or decent stopper/setup man but never saw the development bumps I had hoped for when I finally stated investing in development. He really fell off once he had the triceps injury in 2079 and really just needs to be a bullpen guy moving forward. His ARB estimate is way too high for me so he's likely to be non-tendered this offseason which is bad for me but good for anyone looking for a cheap lefty specialist or solid middle reliever with an outstanding fastball. Had really hoped he would have developed into a solid starter since having multiple lefties in the rotation is a strategy I haven't abandoned since 2059.

Master Bates is a frustrating player that really makes me wish I had the Wooly cheat codes. If he had made that 60 contact he would have been an outstanding MIF even with the shitty IF range. Instead I realized he wasn't going to live up to his potential at the plate so I made him into the Jamie Carroll super utility man who had "good" position ratings but not so good ZR at any position over his career. Another likely non-tender this offseason but he's managed to stay on the WBL roster with his position versatility. This is definitely the last time I take a Michael Morse-esque 6'6" MIF.

Mora and Soto were both bums that had the decency to get injured and retire early. Looking back at my past drafts there are way too many first and second rounds where there's nothing listed (because I am a fool that traded picks for wins) or picks that I should have traded for overpaid 4/5 starters. My new strategy of drafting Best Pitcher Available might actually pay off at some point if I can stop getting hit with the shoulder impengment bug.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
SEO - M. Monjardino (1)A. Crawford (2)D. Lok (3) This looks like a rough draft for Karl, Ima have to let him explain more on the P/1B he took in the 1st!

So we have an interesting 1st round pick... @Karl Hungus gonna have to help us remember some guy here because I think he was a 2-way player? Here was his OSA review right before the draft: Stuff: 50 (60); Movement: 50 (55); Control: 50 (55). It looks like he pitched in Seoul for 2 seasons, then got a demotion to AAA and has been playing 1B ever since! He's always played well in AAA and has a decent bat against RHP. Might want to trade him away at least? I'd have to know more about the pitching stats, but to me it seems like he was a bust to me?
1569556771161.png

Next up we have Alec Crawford. OSA had him at Stuff: 30 (65); Movement: 45 (55); Control: 25 (50) right before the draft, but it seems like both his stuff and control stalled out short of where they should have. His slider never did come in and he's been at 50 stuff for years. He has never played in the WBL, but he's put up really nice stats as a relief pitcher in AAA! I'd say this was a bust due to stalled development.
1569556908718.png

DANG LOK was an obvious 4th OF type when drafted, because OSA had him with a LOATHSOME bat Contact: 35 (40); Power: 25 (40); Eye: 35 (50). Maybe Karl's scout liked him more? He reached his OSA potential and has some good fielding ratings, but his personality isn't great for a bench guy. He did manage to get a CUP OF COFFEE in the WBL, but is a bust.
1569557072143.png

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
SEO - M. Monjardino (1)A. Crawford (2)D. Lok (3) This looks like a rough draft for Karl, Ima have to let him explain more on the P/1B he took in the 1st!

So we have an interesting 1st round pick... @Karl Hungus gonna have to help us remember some guy here because I think he was a 2-way player? Here was his OSA review right before the draft: Stuff: 50 (60); Movement: 50 (55); Control: 50 (55). It looks like he pitched in Seoul for 2 seasons, then got a demotion to AAA and has been playing 1B ever since! He's always played well in AAA and has a decent bat against RHP. Might want to trade him away at least? I'd have to know more about the pitching stats, but to me it seems like he was a bust to me?
View attachment 9265

Next up we have Alec Crawford. OSA had him at Stuff: 30 (65); Movement: 45 (55); Control: 25 (50) right before the draft, but it seems like both his stuff and control stalled out short of where they should have. His slider never did come in and he's been at 50 stuff for years. He has never played in the WBL, but he's put up really nice stats as a relief pitcher in AAA! I'd say this was a bust due to stalled development.
View attachment 9266

DANG LOK was an obvious 4th OF type when drafted, because OSA had him with a LOATHSOME bat Contact: 35 (40); Power: 25 (40); Eye: 35 (50). Maybe Karl's scout liked him more? He reached his OSA potential and has some good fielding ratings, but his personality isn't great for a bench guy. He did manage to get a CUP OF COFFEE in the WBL, but is a bust.
View attachment 9268

I was definitely seduced by the two-way player thing. He really looked like a solid SP, IIRC Noda may even have had him with 60 potential control. Unfortunately he didn't pitch up to those ratings at the WBL level. As a hitter his bat was good enough to dominate AAA but not good enough to get into my big league team. There may have been injuries, too.

It would have been nice to trade him, but I'm sure the offers would have been fifth rounders. For that return he was worth more to me as a AAAA insurance policy.

Lok had good defense and a good eye. He served me well during a short injury crisis but that was pretty much it.

I'd like to have got more out of these guys, but that's just the way she goes.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Cairo next babby!

Thanks for the assist! I got busier than expected at work yesterday and then FIFA came out! I'll get this done about the time we finish the 2080 draft (ie never!)

With the 1-10, CAIRO/BER selected JUSTUS Kaltenbach, a low stamina RP who was drafted from Colorado State! I know most people don't like selecting a RP with a 1st round pick, especially one with lower stamina, but after seeing some less than exceptional 1st round picks in this draft, I think JUSTUS turned out to be a decent player. He has an ERA of 3.77 and a WHIP of 1.31 in rougly 400 WBL innings. Not the best career stat line, but he's having one of the best years in his career now for Berlin! I like that he's also a leader in the clubhouse as well. RPs like Justus are relatively interchangeable, so getting one with positive character traits is what I'm looking for in a drafted player.
1569683121036.png

With the 2-10, Cairo/BER took the RUSTY TROMBONE BOERSMA, a DIME A DOZEN slappy bat OF! Rusty has a decent career batting line of .762 OPS in 6 WBL seasons, including 3 seasons with over .800 OPS. Early in his career, he had enough range to be neutral in LF/RF and he managed a nice 1.1 WAR partial season before putting up 2.4 WARS in his first season as a starter. He had a hitting slump that matched with a drop in range and he became a liability in the field, which limited his contributions. Had a bit of a resurgence in 2079, hitting over .800 OPS again, but still his fielding held him back a bit. Still, with many of the 2nd round picks dead entirely, you have say this is a decent success! I always like having avid Fishermen on my team, though I feel a bit bad since the WBL season takes up most of the prime fishing months!
1569683611781.png

EGökalp (3) is Dead and has been recycled as a HS player WHY ME COACH?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

With the 1-11 pick, Lisbon selected CHRISTOS BRIGATTI, a classic TROG BAT, and a one sided Trog Bat at that! The good news is his ratings against LHP are really solid! The downside is he can't play anywhere in the field and is also GREENS AND YELLOWS against RHP. He has played well in a limited role for Fortaleza or however the fuck you spell that. @Yankee151 is getting some good 490k value out of a guy in a limited role. Can you afford to spend a 1st round pick on a trog bat who is only great vs LHP? Maybe not, but he's still had more success than several of the earlier 1st round picks! He has a career .830 OPS and 3.2 WARS WON! He will continue to be a nice bench bat, I don't like the fact that he has bad character. Through the years I've almost alway utilized similar players with a good LHB split as bench players, but I typically want them to be able to play 1B!
1569684366558.png

With the 1-2 Lisbon selected a backup catcher named DENVER GRAY! He made the WBL for 4 years and played way too much for a guy with 40 contact while Lisbon was OTTO controlled! Gray put up a career .543 OPS and a cumulative -2.4 WARS. He is a great defensive catcher, but he doesn't have a good personality. For a backup defensive catcher who is going to win negative wars, I want a player who is a friend to all!
1569684901750.png

with the 3rd round pick, Lisbon took Lynagh Ronan, a not even a corner OF with a green and yellow bat. This is not a successful WBL archetype, but Ronan did make the WBL during the OTTO years and he managed to win - 4 WARS! Still, it is cool that he got a chance to play in the WBL.... I guess that's one benefit of OTTO control, your terrible 3rd round picks get a chance to tell their grandchildren that you played in the WBL!
1569685128844.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
MOS - R. Rodríguez (1)E. Barnes (2) @Soonerfan09

Next up, we have Ricardo Rodriguez, a starting pitcher selected by Moscow with the 1-12 pick. Ricardo had OSA: Stuff: 45 (60); Movement: 55 (60); Control: 50 (50) when drafted, but OSA was obviously wrong about his control or he has regressed since then? He did make it to the WBL in 2074 and played poorly in the bullpen for Moscow until 2079. Now he's playing SP for Kabul, also really poorly! On the plus side, he did make it to the WBL... on the downside, he's been worse than replacement level for his career with a career ERA of 6.08 and a career WHIP of 1.66.... WOOF.
1569778686274.png

With their 2nd round pick, Moscow had much more success, taking Ed Barnes, a high stamina relieve pitcher. In 2070 OSA had him at: Stuff: 30 (55); Movement: 45 (55); Control: 30 (70). Those ratings shifted around a bit, but I'd say he definitely reached potential, thanks to a nice bump to his stuff! Ed has been in the WBL for 4 seasons and is having his career best year! He has played a total of 280 innings out of the pen, with 60 innings pitched per season for the first 3 years and 100 innings pitched this year! He has a career ERA of 1.84 and a career WHIP of 1.08. I'd actually say he's outperformed his ratings during his career as well! A productive bullpen player is a huge win in the 2nd round!

1569778975228.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

Lets see what @jdlikewhoa was up to in the 2070 draft!

First up, we have Jose Quintana, who had OSA ratings of Stuff: 30 (60); Movement: 45 (60); Control: 35 (55) when Drafted. Quintana's personality statement sums his career up best, NO HUSTLE. He saw very slow development in the minors while his potential dropped. He's only 24 years old and he's already out of the league! He played unbelievably poorly in the minor leagues and also for 1 partial season in the WBL. If you are looking to tank, this is the perfect player for your needs! He managed an amazing 24 ERA in 500 innings in AAA? I don't even know how this is possible? I included his minor league pitching stats below, because I've never seen anything like it!

1569779953065.png
1569780251560.png

With the 2nd round pick, JD selected CHECKMATE Subhi who had OSA ratings of Stuff: 30 (60); Movement: 45 (55); Control: 35 (55). Once again, his development appears to have been thwarted by whatever unorthodox fuckshit system JD is running in the minor leagues, because he had an ERA of over 11 in 300 innings in AAA, lol. I'm actually interested in hearing from JD as to what was going on during this time period? One unmotivated pitcher bust I'd understand, but two players from the same draft getting progressively worse as they go up the levels is interesting to me, especially given the extreme ERAs they were posting. Was JD playing with actual players or did he have RPs playing catcher in AAA and shit? CHECKMATE didn't develop, that much we can tell!
1569780395969.png

JD's 3rd round pick is actually the best of the bunch! Joel Arnold was a 4th OF type with a YELLOWS bat. HE was a CF glove wizard in college and had OSA ratings of Contact: 40 (45); Power: 20 (20); Eye: 20 (45) when drafted. He achieved hsi full potential, and his split against RHP is actually a bit better, which allowed him to have some WBL success! He won 1.8 and 1.2 WARS starting in CF for false bay in 2074 and 2075. He was hitting about .650 OPS, so his WARS WON mostly came in the field where he put up a +4 ZR rating in 2074 and a neutral rating in 2075, and he didn't really have ELITE range either. This lends some credibility to @Yankee151 's 2 WARS BY SHOWING UP players with elite range. In 2076 he had his worst year hitting with .544 OPS, which isn't good enough for a neutral CF. I think he could have stuck around the WBL a bit longer in a true 4th OF role. This is actually a pretty solid value for a 3rd round pick. He made it to the WBL, won a few WARS for 490k and then was let go when his limited value was gone.

1569780640897.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Yeah, the other guys have been recycled by the system so their stats won't show, lol. Jose Quintana is still unbelievably bad compared to his compatriots, lol. 154 innings of 48 ERA! 19 GS 0-19! PERFECTLY TERRIBLE! I feel like the guy tossing meatballs for the HR derby would do better than that, lol. It's not just fielding shit either, look at his FIP! 96 HR allowed is like HR derby pitching, but he also WALKED 468! Was he intentionally walking the bases full so he could allow grand slams? :laughing:

He must be the single worst player ever?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Next up, We've got @Orlando and BORG! Orlando aquired a couple of extra picks, so this one is going to take a while!

With the 1-14, Orlando selected Dave CHA CHA Penny, an ANGRY RP with a shitty attitude! Dave's original ratings were Stuff: 30 (60); Movement: 45 (60); Control: 40 (65) so he fell short a bit in a each category but at least he didn't have a 48 ERA in AAA! Dave actually had a nice minor league career before making it to the WBL in 2075 and he's been there ever since! 409 Innings out of the pen with an ERA of 4.44 and a WHIP of 1.46. Not the best stats, but at least he made it to the WBL! If Dave had a better personality, I'd call this a win for the late 1st round, but he's probably been stirring up trouble in the clubhouse for his efforts! Dave is having the best season of his career, so maybe he'll stick around for a bit longer!

1569786004841.png

With his first 2nd round pick, Orlanod selected an ANGRY SWEDE with real attitude problems! OSA had him at Stuff: 35 (55); Movement: 40 (50); Control: 30 (55) and he fell drastically short in the control category. Orlando gave him a WBL shot in 2075 with 17 starts for a 4-7 record with 5.86 ERA and 1.68 WHIP! Not the best career for the angry swede, but at least he's a swede!
1569786271144.png

With his next 2nd round pick, Orlando picked another Swede with low work ethic. At least he didn't have the rest of the shitty attitude with it! Unfortunately, he didn't have the bat talent to make it to the WBL. OSA had his ratings at Contact: 35 (45); Power: 25 (35); Eye: 40 (45) when drafted, and he fell short of the ever critical contact mark. With the longshot players, you always hope that get a bump from 45 to 50 in their contact ratings, but SASSY SASSER went the other way, ending up with 40 contact! He didn't even cut it in AAA!
1569786432062.png

With his 3rd round pick, Orlando abandoned the swedes and went with a potential 4th OF with a good personality. I like taking this sort of player from the 3rd round on because he could potentailly make the WBL as a backup or 4th OF! Sang won a glove wizard award at CF in college and had OSA ratings of Contact: 20 (45); Power: 20 (25); Eye: 25 (50). when drafted. Sang actually exceeded his bat potential, but didn't make the WBL because his range fell off. He hit surprisingly poorly in AAA, given his ratings, still I like the idea of this pick!

1569786635931.png

Finally, Orlando drafted the most successful of his deluge of 2nd and 3rd round picks a BORDERLINE SP Sam Barber. Same had OSA ratings of Stuff: 30 (55); Movement: 45 (50); Control: 35 (60). when Drafted, and pretty much met them, though his movement did drop down to 45, which limited his WBL potential. I ended up with him in my system somehow and then sent him to @hayvis as a warm body when I took the TOM PYKE CUM DUMP that I'll be paying for through 2081! Sam had some decent seasons as a AAA starter and was nice to have on the bench as a last resort SP in case of injury, but he performed poorly in his two short stints in the WBL (18 innings, 6.75 ERA, 1.66 WHIP). Still, I'd rate this as a decent 3rd round pick because Orlando was able to trade him for something?

1569786821460.png

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I think Barber was a piece in the Kennet/Lowry trade?
I actually saw Penny as a SP. Either OSA or my scout had the third pitch potential at 50. I figured at worst he’d be an ok reliever. He hasn’t been great, but he is a decent bargain.

jdlikewhoa

Lets see what @jdlikewhoa was up to in the 2070 draft!

First up, we have Jose Quintana, who had OSA ratings of Stuff: 30 (60); Movement: 45 (60); Control: 35 (55) when Drafted. Quintana's personality statement sums his career up best, NO HUSTLE. He saw very slow development in the minors while his potential dropped. He's only 24 years old and he's already out of the league! He played unbelievably poorly in the minor leagues and also for 1 partial season in the WBL. If you are looking to tank, this is the perfect player for your needs! He managed an amazing 24 ERA in 500 innings in AAA? I don't even know how this is possible? I included his minor league pitching stats below, because I've never seen anything like it!

View attachment 9346
View attachment 9347

With the 2nd round pick, JD selected CHECKMATE Subhi who had OSA ratings of Stuff: 30 (60); Movement: 45 (55); Control: 35 (55). Once again, his development appears to have been thwarted by whatever unorthodox fuckshit system JD is running in the minor leagues, because he had an ERA of over 11 in 300 innings in AAA, lol. I'm actually interested in hearing from JD as to what was going on during this time period? One unmotivated pitcher bust I'd understand, but two players from the same draft getting progressively worse as they go up the levels is interesting to me, especially given the extreme ERAs they were posting. Was JD playing with actual players or did he have RPs playing catcher in AAA and shit? CHECKMATE didn't develop, that much we can tell!
View attachment 9348

JD's 3rd round pick is actually the best of the bunch! Joel Arnold was a 4th OF type with a YELLOWS bat. HE was a CF glove wizard in college and had OSA ratings of Contact: 40 (45); Power: 20 (20); Eye: 20 (45) when drafted. He achieved hsi full potential, and his split against RHP is actually a bit better, which allowed him to have some WBL success! He won 1.8 and 1.2 WARS starting in CF for false bay in 2074 and 2075. He was hitting about .650 OPS, so his WARS WON mostly came in the field where he put up a +4 ZR rating in 2074 and a neutral rating in 2075, and he didn't really have ELITE range either. This lends some credibility to @Yankee151 's 2 WARS BY SHOWING UP players with elite range. In 2076 he had his worst year hitting with .544 OPS, which isn't good enough for a neutral CF. I think he could have stuck around the WBL a bit longer in a true 4th OF role. This is actually a pretty solid value for a 3rd round pick. He made it to the WBL, won a few WARS for 490k and then was let go when his limited value was gone.

View attachment 9349
Honestly I’ve never been able to figure out AAA. I’m pretty sure the Tuskers have been historically bad. And let’s not even get into the history of my pitching. But I did just assume that minor league pitching got shelled league wide. Wasn’t that a thing in the UBL?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
With the 2-14 (no first round pick) @doh selected 2B Chris McBord from SMU. His OSA ratings were Contact: 45 (50); Power: 45 (45); Eye: 45 (55) when drafted, and he got there for a few seasons between 2074 and 2076 and then faded back a bit. It looks like his range also dropped into unplayable WBL levels about that time, based on his fielding stats. He also just likely wasn't good enough to make the roster for one of the better systems in the WBL in the 2070s. Had he played for a more loathsome team, I bet he would have gotten a shot as a bench player. A Green and yellow bat backup 1B/2B with good intangibles can be nice to have on the roster. Unfortunately, Chris is also a bit short for 1B and never got any experience there. He is currently in the @Yankee151 minor league system, helping keep the kids in line!

1570316582637.png