• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Lisbon

Schauwn

My lineup as it stands at the halfway mark:

SS Pancho Ninor - Really doing well for me as of late in the lead-off spot. Over the last week, he's been on fire: .417/.462/.583. I started him at 3B some this year, and his defense there was awful, but since moving to SS, he's really found his home and is doing really well.

C Francisco Miranda - I was really excited when I got this guy in the spring, I thought he would do really well and give me a piece to trade either this year or next year, it's looking more and more like next year. His defense is #1 in the WBL (ZR) and 8th in Runners Thrown Out. His bat hasn't come around yet, but with his defense, it just needs to be not-awful.

LF Francisco Sanchez - A free agent signing that I hoped would give me a good year or two before falling off, but it doesn't look like it was meant to be. Hasn't been great at the plate, batting below .250 and has been a liability in the OF.

1B Liu-liang Chao - Overall, I've been happy with his production at 1st. Over the last 3 years, he's been on a decline and really fell off last year at FB. I just needed a body at first and he's actually almost met some of his totals from last year, but with added strike-outs. On the field though, probably below average at 1st, has committed 8 errors this year and has a -5 ZR.

DH Hocine Mercier - Played at 1B the first few games after the trade, but when I moved Liu-liang to DH, he performed even worse than when he was at first, so I'm trying Mercier at DH. Overall this year, he hasn't been very good at the plate, but over the last week, while being in the DH slot, he's been hot. So we'll ride that to the end of the year, maybe someone that is needing a DH would be willing to take him. If not, we'll let it ride next year with him in the DH slot and see if he produces.

3B Yaseen Bin Jameel - Another veteran that I thought could produce and provide me some trade bait late in the year. His defense at 3B has been exceptional this year for me, while his offensive production has been severely lacking. Over the last week though, he's batting .600.

CF Robby Newton - My OF speed-demon. Top 5 in ZR among all OF, #1 among CF. Overall at the plate, meh. At 29 years old, should have a couple of years left in him.

2B Loc Danh - A vet who's never been outstanding at the plate, but has been okay in the field. He was signed to be a stop gap. Hopefully give me 2-3 years until I can get someone better through my system. Played SS for a while early in the season, and didn't do well with it (not surprising).

RF Angel Ruiz - Nothing special here. Thought he had decent ratings in the OF and would be serviceable enough in RF to be a decent RF, and he has been. At the plate, below average, but I wasn't expecting much here. Another guy that I needed to just fill space until I can get someone up through my system.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Bin Jameel has a hot bat of late. He and Lt. Danh are at least getting on base .300+ for you, which is more than they would do for Moscow.

Watching your moves and enjoying 'em.

osick87

Community Liaison
I would say that the trades you made put were successes. You got a lot for Challen.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
I would say that the trades you made put were successes. You got a lot for Challen.
You may forget 'Pasta' came along as a tandem. He has replaced Kim, whom began to tail off after July.

It's a wash imo at this point. Still hafta see if the draft gets resorted and he drafts well with the 2 added picks.

Schauwn

The 2046 Lisbon Conquistadors (Batters):

[xtable=skin1|566x212]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Position{/td}
{td}Starter{/td}
{td}Backup{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Catcher{/td}
{td}Manuel 'Hat' Rosa{/td}
{td}Lucio Molina{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1B{/td}
{td}Oliver Barnett{/td}
{td}Edgar Jaquias{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2B{/td}
{td}Loc 'LT' Danh{/td}
{td}Romulo Abraos{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3B{/td}
{td}Edgar Jaquias{/td}
{td}Ricardo Calderon{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}SS{/td}
{td}Ricardo Calderon{/td}
{td}Yoichibei Segiura{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}LF{/td}
{td}Firmino Canelas{/td}
{td}Thomas 'Beast of Burden' Reynaud{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}CF{/td}
{td}Robby Newton{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}RF{/td}
{td}Francisco Sanchez{/td}
{td}Tomas Ereira{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}DH{/td}
{td}Thomas 'Beast of Burden' Reynaud{/td}
{td}Yoichibei Segiura{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Not much here to look at other than Francisco Sanchez. This is the veteran's final year on his contract, so hopefully he finally puts together a season that it looks like he's capable of, but without much protection around him in the lineup I'm not expecting much. Maybe he can get off to a hot start and be some valuable trade material at the deadline, a la Potts from last year. Thomas Reynaud, aside from having a crazy nickname, is a guy I want to keep an eye on. 2 years ago in AAA ball he had a good season and am hoping he can get the bat figured out this year, as he could be a decent Left Fielder for me if Canelas doesn't work out. Jaquias is the other guy I want to see develop, I changed to my 3B because of his rating there, but we'll see if he can actually play the position. His bat is awful, but if he can not be a liability somehow, I think his defense could be a valuable asset to a contender later.

Schauwn

[xtable=485x179]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Starters{/td}
{td}Relievers{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}(R) Pedro 'Rat' Ramirez{/td}
{td}Honorio Santiro{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}(R) Aaron Davies{/td}
{td}Bill Melton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}(L) Ramon Ramos{/td}
{td}Antonio Acevedo{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}(L) Fernando Hernandez{/td}
{td}Remon van der Reijd{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}(R) Fernando Pena{/td}
{td}Bong-hwan Kim{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Ray Barlow{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Sean Kranendonk{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Obviously the big move here was getting Mr. Ramirez. I think it was Australia that had the highest offer when I went in before the last sim and I almost didn't do it. I thought about offering 1 more year (7 years) but dropping the money each year a few million. However, this would have meant I was stuck with him while until after he turns 33. That, along with looking at my financials, I realized that the $48m/yr that would be tied up in him wouldn't hurt me that much. I obviously wouldn't be able to sign another huge contract like this, but I have plenty of money to be able to put a team around him in 5 years, if I have the pieces to compete. Aaron Davies, did okay for me last year IIRC, and he did really well in ST this year. I'll have to see how 3-5 do to start the year, but I dont have much Starting Pitching ready for the WBL, so it might be who I have to go with for the time being.

Wolfman21

chris almighty what a jump in ratings. 20 points at about every rating in one season. He hit like shit in single A but once he got to AA his game skyrocketed. Insane

Wolfman21

Dude went from being a throwaway player to a future WBL All-Star in one season in AA. Thats the craziest shit i've ever seen

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
'16 made some changes in the player development code. This guy had the lucky gold ticket. Willy Wonka time!

Schauwn

Makes me more willing to take flyers on guys that are one pitch away or one step short.

I also pumped a lot of money in my development budget last year, I wonder if that actually does something this year....

Wolfman21

Makes me more willing to take flyers on guys that are one pitch away or one step short.

I also pumped a lot of money in my development budget last year, I wonder if that actually does something this year....

I've had max dev budget since forever and most of my prospects don't hit their initial potential. Just a handful bust through their initial potential.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't think so. This type of thing has happened as long as we have been playing.

Wolfman21

Rain-on-my-Parade-animation.gif

Schauwn

Pitching and defense.

I had the second best system today before making the trade, with Rick Montgomery counting towards it, even though he was on the WBL roseter now. We'll see how we far after making a move today that sent Rick to False Bay.

Rick Montgomery is going to a good, if not great, player, and seeing him develop from a 4th round pick to the young stud he is now, was a pretty cool find. But, he wasn't going to be able to help this team win. I need more pieces, thus I had to trade him. I was looking for some young pitchers that would be able to come up with Paul Lee in a few years, and create a killer 1-3, and I think I got that with Peadar Sargant and Lenny Fernandes.

With both of these guys now in my system, I have 3 of the top 6 pitching prospects in the league, according to OTA.

Sargant and Fernades are both 21, Lee is 19.

- Lee will probably be making the move up to AA ball around the all-star break if he continues his current success in AA. So far, he's at 1.07 WHIP, .4 HR/9, 1.8 BB/9, and 11.8 K/9 with only 40 innings pitched on the year. -
- Sargant is currently in AAA. He has a weak changeup, and I might move him back down to AA for a few months to see how he does against that competition. So far this season he's got a 2.02 WHIP, .8 HR/9, 9.7 BB/9, 5.9 K/9 in only 21 IP. These numbers are all worse than they were last year in AA, so I think he needs to go back down and figure it out, but should be ready for AAA next year.
- Fernandes, like Sargant, is at AAA, but seems like he is ready for it. 1.34, 1.1, 3.3, and 11.7 in 24 IP. He'll stay in AAA for the rest of the year most likely.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You and Rad have the best young pitching in the game. Like the move for you Schauwn.

Schauwn

Yeah, I'm pretty excited it worked out.

Now I just have to get young defense in my system. I have a few guys, but I feel like I'm still on track to compete in 5 ish years

Schauwn

Pitching as it stands right now:

The Rat: 3 more years on his contract, including this year. Plan has fallen into place as I expected it to when I signed him, to have him available for 2-3 contending years. I have some pieces that I can bring up this year that will help in the rotation and can, if I'm lucky, start inching my way towards the playoffs. He still has dominating stuff, 1.14 WHIP and a 2.6 WAR last year.
Amine Duchesne: An old work horse. He's 37, but still an Iron Man. Had a decent season for me last year with a 1.138 WHIP and a 2.2 WAR. He's on a cheap contract through this year and I might extend him one more year depending on how he does the first half of this year, could end up being a good 3 or 4 option for me next year.
Aaron Davies: Lost a little bit last year in terms of stuff, but still was a positive WAR player for me. He probably shouldn't even be in the starting rotation, but unless I can sign some starting pitchers during free agency that are better, he'll be there to start the season. Fortunately he'll move back, or even out of the rotation after the start of the year when I call a guy or two up.
Aaron Bruce: Will probably start the season as my #3, he did well enough in the roll last year when I had him there. Positive WAR, ERA+ near 100, didn't give up many HR, and his BABIP was one of the lowest on my team.
Fernando Pena: Another arm I wouldn't normally have in my rotation, but I've had to in order to kill time until some of my young guys were ready. He or Davies will be the first to leave the rotation when my call-ups happen depending on whose performing better.

Lenny Fernandes (AAA): Will be getting called up sometime after the season starts. Has absolutely killed it in AAA so far and is ready to be thrown in the WBL.

Ramon Ramos (AAA): I dont know what to do with him, I think he's the best example of a AAAA guy I have. He posted a 3.5 WAR and pitched almost as well as Fernandes in AAA last year, but when I've had him at the WBL level, he's been not very good. I might give him a chance in Spring Training to see if he can prove hisself, and it might be worth having him in the rotation, just so Pena isn't.

Ganya "Mak" Mkervali (AAA): Another guy I'll be keeping a close eye on this year is Mak. He did well enough last year in AAA with a few too many walks, but a high number of K's.

Peadar Sargant: Will start the year in AA. When he was in A last year he did well, and didn't get many innings in AA to see how he holds up. I'll be keeping a close eye on him to see how he does and hopefully he can get to AAA this year, and be ready for the WBL next year at some point.

Schauwn

In the field/at the plate:

WBL C: Keitel and Frank: These two split time last year. Keitel was a little better with the bat in his hand, while Frank was better behind the plate. They'll split more games this season, as it seems, mostly effective.
- AAA Mick Borthwick: Has an exactly average bat, in every way possible, but rated better defensively than either of the guys in the WBL. Could get a chance if Keitel or Frank get hurt.
- AA Raymond Clemens: Has a chance to become a solid player. Did well in AA last year, posting a 2.0 WAR, will try and give him a chance at AAA to see how he does.
- A Mark Floyd: Just drafted this year, but already looks ready for AA ball. My best defensive catching prospect with an average bat. Will also keep an eye on him and see how he does in AA this year, might be ready for AAA by the end of the year, if not, then next year. Drafted him to be my catcher, I love having a defensive minded Catcher behind the plate that can control the base paths.
- A Dave Baker: Drafted last year in the 3rd round, for some reason went straight to AAA and I didnt notice. Played 10 games there before I sent him down to A where he still didn't do too well. Waiting to see if he develops.
- A Sal Lynch: Just traded for him today. Has the chance to develop into a pretty decent hitting catcher.

WBL 1B: Teodor Lukaszewsk: A guy that absolutely wrecked AAA last year before I traded for him late in the season. He’s now going to get a chance at WBL to see how he does.
- AAA Jose Lopez: I've been watching him for a while now, even trying him in the WBL when I had some injuries last season. He didn't seem ready, and struggled. I'll probably give him another shot here in spring training and see if he's ready yet. Luckily he's young, so he has another year or so to develop some more, but he might be stuck at the AAAA level.
- AAA Elmar Oostrom: Batted pretty well last year at the AAA level, but doesn't seem skilled enough to pass Lopez or Luka in the depth chart.

WBL 2B: Duane Langille: Just traded for Langille as well, and he will get the start at second this year. He’s also a good utility guy that I’ll be able to move around if need be. Looks like he did okay at the plate last year at the WBL level and had a positive ZR last year at 2B, where he'll be spending most of his time for me. Loc Danh and Maro Illidge got the nod here last year and were woeful.
- A Luis Macias: Just drafted this year, so we'll see how he does in A and I'll be keeping an eye on him to see when he is ready to be moved up. This should be the future for me at second base.

WBL 3B: Jorge Orozco & Ted Carter: Claimed Orozco off of waivers in the middle of last season and was valuable to me as a IF utility guy. He played at first, second, and SS last year, and absolutely killed it at first defensively, hopefully he can be just as productive for me at 3B this year. I got Carter in a trade with doh and he is another utility IF guy that I'm going to have to find time for. These guys could end up splitting time at 3B and DH.
- Unfortunately, there's no one in my system set to replace these guys in the future as of now. I'll keep an eye on the guys that are down there and see if someone is playing past their ratings this year.

WBL SS: Joe Prowse: Prowse played positively for me last year, despite a few years before that where he wasn't that good. SS isn't his primary position, but hopefully he can do well there, if not I might have to shuffle some of these guys around on the infield.
- Another position where I don't really have any depth. I have a lot of guys that can play this position, but I'm still waiting for someone in my minor league system to step up and prove themselves.

OF: Johnson, Lips, Rivera: These three guys look to be my starting OF for the future, all 3 under 25.
- Mason Brett, Bill Baird, and Jim Payne all are really young guys that look to have future potential as well, but hopefully I wont need them anytime soon.

Schauwn

He did okay last year, nothing special. There's room to improve, but if he does what he did last year, then I wont be disappointed, especially at the salary I'm paying him.

Schauwn

I have a rough idea of it, but get overwhelmed when I look at my team and then just click "ask bench coach"

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Some players will have a preferred spot in the lineup. Play them there if it doesn't kill you. I have found they do perform a little better.

Schauwn

I'm looking at:

L - Rivera
S - Langille
L - Lips
R - Carter
L - Johnson
R - Prowse
L - Luka
R - Orozco
L - Keitel

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Lots of rookies.

I'd go with this:

Langille
Johnson
Carter
Lips
Prowse
Luka
Orozco
Keitel
Rivera

Or hit Rivera 6 and bump the rest down. HT to osi

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah. I'd wait and see if he gets on base enough to hit lead off. If he hits 9th, he kind of still hits lead off without being an automatic out to start the game if he struggles.

If he hits 6th, he has the speed threat and can steal a base before your singles hitting 7-9 hitters.

osick87

Community Liaison
Nice Lineup balance for batting handedness.

You have a lot of untested guys so looking at stats won't help me prove a point as much as it usually does.

Best hitters should go 1,2,4,5 since those are the spots that will likely lead off innings the most

Rivera:
I would likely wait to see what Rivera is before putting him in lead off. If his OBP is good enough for you, then I'd move him leadoff. According to the article, putting a fast dude like that at 6th is good if you put 7 or 8 as contact hitters. In a more traditional sense, putting him 8th or 9th until he proves he can get on base enough to make you feel confident in him at 1 makes sense to me.

Rivera's ratings look good but he hasn't played above AA. That's why I'm more cautious with him than guys I name later.

Leadoff should have your best OBP. Average is nice but OBP is the stat I would look at most for this spot

Langille:
I like putting your best hitter at 2 or 4. I lean towards putting the best guy at 2 since they have more ABs than 4. Looking at ratings, Langille might not be that. Ratings wise I would probably put Carter or Johnson there. Langille seems to get on base pretty decently so I would try him at leadoff. He's not fast so if you want a traditional get on base, steal second guy, you may want to look elsewhere . But Langille will get on base around a third of the time and then have Carter/Johnson to try and continue the inning.

Lips:

I like him at 3. The math shows that 3rd base comes up to bat with a lower percentage of men on base than 4th or 5th so you putting your best hitter here isn't putting him in the most advantageous situation. I like to put guys with pop there because even if they aren't put in the best spot, they may hit a home run and that's nice. If he's doing well, moving him to the leadoff, 2nd spot 4th or 5th to start is probably what I would do.

Carter:
I like this spot for him or Johnson
As previously mentioned, best hitters at 1,2,4,5. Carter can go in probably any of those 4 as he looks to be one of your top 4 guys. Put your best hitter with the best SLG here. To me that's likely Johnson.

4-Johnson

Johnson:
See above. Put your next best all around hitter at 5.

Prowse/Keitel:

I don't really like Prowse. He's shown he can't really hit when you gave him games these last two years. I'd probably have him near the bottom of the lineup (8/9)

Luka/Orozco:
Probably competing with Orozco as what looks like your 6th or 7th best hitter so having them at 3rd may feel counter intuitive, one of them there will give time for Rivera to show you he can lead off @6 and give you two inning lead off combos in Langille/Carter and Johnson/Lips

This is what I would start with and adjust accordingly when guys give you some ML ABs
1-Langille
2-Carter
3-Orozco
4-Johnson
5-Lips
6-Rivera
7-Luka
8-Prowse
9-Keitel

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
The obvious move would be Rivera to 1 langille to 3 and orozco to 6 EDIT: but I would want to see what Rivera is before doing it.

Last edited:

Schauwn

Rivera did struggle in ST so he's going down to the bottom of the lineup (8th I think). Langille will be my leadoff and is going to start the year at 1st base. We'll see how things go.

Fernandes was called up and will be my #2. Sargant and Lee are in AA to start the year, but should be up to AAA after a few starts.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I really wanted rivera, just had no place for him. That dude is going to be an absolute terror if you let him loose on the basepaths