• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Madden 15 is the Best Game Ever Made

S

Sink

I like to use it when someone shows up unprepared and frazzled for a meeting or presentation. "How about I head down the hall and get a cup of coffee... you can take this opportunity to unfuck yourself. When I get back we can stop wasting time and actually start this meeting." Bonus points if you drop this line on a superior.
Shit, we have entire departments over here that haven't been able to unfuck themselves for years.

Wolfman21

No, I only played one half of a game. It's just absolutely horrible. Player movement is worse than ncaa 2002. Tackling STILL consists of players running into each other and just falling over. Offensive line play is shit. It's just a bad game

PSUEagle

Did anybody play Madden 08 back in the day?

I ask because watching videos of the new game coming out reminds me of a prettier version of that one. Instead of calling it a "spectacular" catch it's now "aggressive." Same animations mind you, because this is EA we're talking about. Or toss plays being unstoppable, 2 man under being roided up, etc. Just a bullshit, arcade like experience.

It's too bad that not only is the video game made by the most loathsome company in the industry, they're also in bed with the most loathsome leadership apparatus in American sports.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Of course I played it. I am hoping they will do something to tame the aggressive catch. As you know, zone (especially cover 3 and 4 if you usered the middle) was overpowered and man was nerfed this year. HENCEFORTH, EA declareth the opposite in an odd numbered year of our Lord 2015.

PSUEagle

Of course I played it. I am hoping they will do something to tame the aggressive catch. As you know, zone (especially cover 3 and 4 if you usered the middle) was overpowered and man was nerfed this year. HENCEFORTH, EA declareth the opposite in an odd numbered year of our Lord 2015.

Bingo.

It's so easy to predict what's going to be overpowered vs underpowered every year. They'll try to "tone down" (nerf) something that worked too well and then something else will take it's place. I'm betting Madden 17's big ticket item will be some bullshit TRENCH WARFARE while bumping up zone coverage's aggressiveness.

I'm guessing tosses blew this year? Because it looks like those are back with a vengeance.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Power counters and traps were the money runs

Off tackle and counter are consistently good yr to yr if you run it to the weakside

Tosses sucked even to the weak side. They just pulled you too far toward the sideline so you would get the toss facing the sideline and have to cut up into a cb in the flat

I expect powers and traps to be nerfed as they were so OP

GR8 2 B FL G8R

3 4 and nickel 2 4 5, 335 were very good in both coverage and run stopping

Quarter dollar and dime could not stop the run, as they shouldnt

I expect the opposite as in Madden 14 or 25 you could actually stop the run in a 6 to 7 db look with man press and usering the mike

Because there still are no weight differentials Im sure 34 olb guys like Suggs, Galette, Dumervil, etc, will shoot up to 99 when played at de, for the 27th madden in a row

I also predict that 4 man fronts will be better than 3 man fronts as they fucked that up so a 3 4 with 4 rushers was much better than a base 43 or nickel

PSUEagle

Thanks for that info.

You're right about Off Tackle/Counter Weak: seems like it's way better year to year when you run it away from a TE. When I'm under center I try to run away from my TE as much as I can.

Good to know that 99 OVR thing is still in the game: used to love taking Demarcus Ware and subbing him in as a 99 OVR DE in my nickel/dime stuff.

The speed boost you get if a defender is moving towards the LOS is still in teh game right? I think that's why they tweaked the show blitz thing, because asking them to actually fix it is too much to ask...

PSUEagle

I mean the old EA thing where if a defender was moving forward at the snap of the ball (like everyone does when you "show blitz") they basically knife through the line and blow you up if you're running the ball.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

I mean the old EA thing where if a defender was moving forward at the snap of the ball (like everyone does when you "show blitz") they basically knife through the line and blow you up if you're running the ball.
It happens. I naturally know not to snap the ball when the defenders havent set so I havent seen it recently.

worst2first

I watched a video and it looks as if you aren't automatically the starter in Be A Pro (or whatever that mode is called this year). That might be enough to get me to buy it.

worst2first

The real question though is how often those glitches occur. Every game has glitches. I've played NCAA and Madden for a year and not seen the glitches that show up on YouTube.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Don't bother with franchise mode. It's broke dick until they patch it

Thanks for the heads up. All I did last night was comb through custom playbooks. It looks like Philly, Tennessee, Miami, and Minnesota will be the popular books this year. They have tons of new spread formations and plays.

worst2first

Bought the game. I feel :durty:

Me too and I regret it. There are big problems with player ratings and confidence in franchise mode that are supposed to be fixed at some point.

I chose to start as an undrafted free agent yet on my player card it says I was picked in the first round and I have a three year, $1 million per year contract. I know those are small things but they irritate me. It's aggravating as fuck to see the career mode features for NBA2K and then try to play this travesty. The career mode in The Show is pretty basic but is done so much better than this. I just want sports games where I can start as a roster bubble scrub and grind out a career somewhat realistically. Is that too much to ask?

Game play is okay. I don't like having to push R1 and R2 for high or low passes. It's awkward. The different types of pass catching and defending moves seem okay. Visuals are okay. Overall though, both The Show and FIFA feel a lot closer to the games they represent than this does.

It's been a few years since I've bought a football game and I should have known better with this one. Same old EA, same old half assed football game.

I think I'm going to trade this towards FIFA or 2K. SMH.

PSUEagle

Strong work ITH.

As much as we make fun of the GAME CHANGERS over at da tailgate, to their credit they were mostly focused on improving game play and overall functionality: they were able to push for certain things that eventually got done (EA largely fixed the custom playbook feature and made it fairly easy to use after the disaster that was NCAA 12).

I have no idea what their Madden equivalents do when they get their unpaid trip to the Orlando Days Inn. Like @JSU Zack has said in the past, how can anyone think the current playbook interface is remotely well done or easy to use? It's so frustrating to use that you're probably better off rolling with a stock playbook, all of which have flaws...

worst2first

There was like one year where the player career mode was decent in Madden. You could start as special team roster filler / garbage time player and complete drills to eventually earn a starting spot. You could get roles in commercials and your apartment changed as you became more successful and earned bigger contracts. You chose your agent. Some of that was stupid but at least they were trying.

jdlikewhoa

Once franchise mode gets patched I'll probably pick it up.

I missed the Best Buy preorder special where you could trade in Madden 15 for $30 towards 16. I'd have def dropped $30 on it day 1, but $60 is too much for such a half assed game.

jdlikewhoa

I don't think anyone doubted it'd be anything better than half assed, but guys make these kinds of purchases when they have too much time on their hands and a little money in their pockets.

worst2first

I don't think anyone doubted it'd be anything better than half assed, but guys make these kinds of purchases when they have too much time on their hands and a little money in their pockets.

qnraC3p.gif

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Strong work ITH.

As much as we make fun of the GAME CHANGERS over at da tailgate, to their credit they were mostly focused on improving game play and overall functionality: they were able to push for certain things that eventually got done (EA largely fixed the custom playbook feature and made it fairly easy to use after the disaster that was NCAA 12).

I have no idea what their Madden equivalents do when they get their unpaid trip to the Orlando Days Inn. Like @JSU Zack has said in the past, how can anyone think the current playbook interface is remotely well done or easy to use? It's so frustrating to use that you're probably better off rolling with a stock playbook, all of which have flaws...

Making a book is still confusing at times. You haven't to learn how to avoid the bugs. Last year, I found you could use the West Coast playbook to remove ALL plays as long as you left one shotgun set to avoid all of those formations showing up under Hail Mary. It's different this year. I had to pick a book I liked and roll with it. I think I decided on Tennessee, and I was able to remove all the formations except Gun Empty Base Flex without any issues. That formation is nice, and I don't mind it being at the top of my formation list.

I'm yet to play a game, but I do some some mechanics improvements. Playbooks have a good set of new plays (none broken), inside zone is almost every formation now (as it should be). Offset Gun has more off tackle runs and pulling guard plays that aren't 01 Trap. Screen game is much improved as well (receivers actually block?!). The new animations for the hand-offs are more realistic as well. Gun runs have the QB hold it out like a zone read on non-option runs, under center has delay steps, foot pivots, and QB spin handoffs to keep the user defenders guessing. They're actually starting to focus on the small things. They're just chipping away one item at a time, but it's a good sign and closer to what we see on the field.

I think I posted this last year, but Madden 15 was the best football game I had played to date. Were there still exploits? Sure. 16 looks to be another good move forward. Let's just hope they patch the major flaws and go from there.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The only thing Madden did for me was win me $50

My buddy was bitching about Connor Shaw being faster than JFF or something? Because he was a Utopian I remembered noting that @ConnorShaw was faster than Johnny Footbaw at the combine and I mentioned that fact and my buddy didn't believe me. "JOHNNY FOOTBAW THE FASTEST," he exclaimed. Bet him $50 and won.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
When it comes to Madden I'm a major noob so take this for what it's worth (and I only played about 1 half). First of all it was very annoying waiting all day for the damn thing to download, and then I had to wait for 10 minutes to get through demo (which I couldn't back out of or fast forward).

Anyhoo I go to play now mode at the Pro level and note the following:

- Graphics are off the charts. The physics engine seemed legit - I ran a few dives with L Blount (NE) and he legitimately finished runs like a guy with his power can do. It didn't seem overpowered. Touch passes and zip passes were on point.
- Hated the playcall screen. Maybe unfair since I'm so used to NCAA, but I didn't like it.
- Biggest gripe is the field of vision. It's very narrow. I could only see from tackle to tackle and had no idea what my WRs were doing until I dropped back to pass. In NCAA I have my view on coordinator cam so I'm very used to that. I could not find in the Madden options where I could change the view. This is probably "fixable", but I couldn't find it anywhere.

fanoftgame

When it comes to Madden I'm a major noob so take this for what it's worth (and I only played about 1 half). First of all it was very annoying waiting all day for the damn thing to download, and then I had to wait for 10 minutes to get through demo (which I couldn't back out of or fast forward).

- Graphics are off the charts. The physics engine seemed legit - I ran a few dives with L Blount (NE) and he legitimately finished runs like a guy with his power can do. It didn't seem overpowered. Touch passes and zip passes were on point.
- Hated the playcall screen. Maybe unfair since I'm so used to NCAA, but I didn't like it.
- Biggest gripe is the field of vision. It's very narrow. I could only see from tackle to tackle and had no idea what my WRs were doing until I dropped back to pass. In NCAA I have my view on coordinator cam so I'm very used to that. I could not find in the Madden options where I could change the view. This is probably "fixable", but I couldn't find it anywhere.

In madden 15 you can change camera on the fly using the d pad pre snap. Up on dpad to zoom in. Down to zoom out.

Don't know if its the same in 16 but I'd assume some.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
In madden 15 you can change camera on the fly using the d pad pre snap. Up on dpad to zoom in. Down to zoom out.

Don't know if its the same in 16 but I'd assume some.

Like I said I'm a noob. Thanks (although I don't see myself playing much at all with my schedule).

PSUEagle

Making a book is still confusing at times. You haven't to learn how to avoid the bugs. Last year, I found you could use the West Coast playbook to remove ALL plays as long as you left one shotgun set to avoid all of those formations showing up under Hail Mary. It's different this year. I had to pick a book I liked and roll with it. I think I decided on Tennessee, and I was able to remove all the formations except Gun Empty Base Flex without any issues. That formation is nice, and I don't mind it being at the top of my formation list.

I'm yet to play a game, but I do some some mechanics improvements. Playbooks have a good set of new plays (none broken), inside zone is almost every formation now (as it should be). Offset Gun has more off tackle runs and pulling guard plays that aren't 01 Trap. Screen game is much improved as well (receivers actually block?!). The new animations for the hand-offs are more realistic as well. Gun runs have the QB hold it out like a zone read on non-option runs, under center has delay steps, foot pivots, and QB spin handoffs to keep the user defenders guessing. They're actually starting to focus on the small things. They're just chipping away one item at a time, but it's a good sign and closer to what we see on the field.

I think I posted this last year, but Madden 15 was the best football game I had played to date. Were there still exploits? Sure. 16 looks to be another good move forward. Let's just hope they patch the major flaws and go from there.

Good breakdown.

They did do a nice job changing hand off animations and the play action that goes with them. They finally fixed that long standing legacy issue where the camera would do that weird zoom thing that would instantly know any PA was a pass and not a run. Now it's a lot harder: you have to read the OL to get a bead on that. FWIW though, they had different hand off animations and QB steps in last gen: QB would reverse out on gap schemes, front out on zone, front and switch hands on the zone misdirections, etc.

My biggest beef in the running game play wise is that 0/1 Trap: it's blocked right and all of that (Really), but it really shouldn't be in singleback under center/pistol sets: trust me when I say that you absolutely cannot run a trap IRL with the back any deeper than five yards (and really 4.5 is the ideal distance).

It's real early (a little bit of practice mode for me), but it also seems like there's some differentiation when it comes to elite receivers and corners: guys like Sherman and Revis really do lock down their counterparts without resorting to past EA bullshit like obnoxious route mirroring. Defenders in general make plays on the ball and knock passes down as opposed to making coverage an all or nothing deal of either completion or INT, etc. Was also impressed with safety play in Cover 2 and Cover 3, especially the latter: they actually make an effort to drive on post routes from outside receivers once the CB passes them off as opposed to what they've done in the past (guard air and never factor into the play). There's route combinations you can use to attack coverages and scheme guys open, but what's nice is that there's a greater sense of realism IMO.

I'm actually struggling a little bit labbing stuff and figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's probably a sign of age and apathy, but I don't have the energy to sit for more than an hour at a time playing around with things. Still, here's a few that I've found.

-the routes that were best in NCAA 14 against man (stem digs, stem posts, slants, and circus) are still best against man
-corner routes to slot receivers are still very annoying against man: you're better off getting into zone to deal with them
-bunch and snugs are extremely powerful: they make it very hard to play straight man
-inside zone and iso are the two most consistent run plays in the game. You can't really bounce them, but you can count on 4-5 ypc consistently
-toss plays are probably overpowered
-flood (weak and strong) should be a staple along with stick and spot

My main disappointment is probably the same as yours: custom playbooks. They have the old NCAA guys on their staff now: what's so hard about letting them fix that feature? Sure they'll have to start streamlining and stop making up so many team specific play names ("Rams HB Zone?" Really, Anthony White?) but that would be a good thing long term. Everyone has a thing they care about a lot: for some people it's fucking pink socks for breast cancer month. Me, I get the most fun out of building playbooks.

Really, there is a lot to like about this game. What it comes down to is that they should have made more progress in the year 2015, and that's where most of our utopians are justified in not wanting to bother with the game.

Go into settings (basically scroll all the way right on the main screen). You should see a camera option for both offense and defense: pick "All 22" as this is the same as coordinator cam. You can also try "Wide" if you want something that zooms in a little bit more but still keeps everyone in focus.