• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Madden 17 same ole shit

Wolfman21

Got to play Madden 20 over the weekend. First madden i've tried out since Madden 17 i think. I'll given them credit for one thing...they have been able to make different type players feel like different type players. Big guys feel big and hulky. Quick guys feel quick. I feel like I can tell a difference between power backs and scat backs, between big posession receivers and smaller quick guys. I also like the ability to hit different buttons to go for different type catches. Really adds a dimension to the passing game and to your team preparation.

They do have a shit ton of things to fix. The simulation game is busted. I like to build teams and have franchises without playing games and just simming the games and doing everything else. There are issues with statistics when games are simmed. In actual game play, running the ball can be an issue, though i attributed that more to me just not being "hip" to the new controls since i play ncaa 14 mostly and this game is far beyond what that was. I started getting more of a hang to it the more i played. In NCAA you could hit boost as soon as you saw a hole. Not now...you basically have to wait until you're in the clear to hit the sprint. Another thing I don't like is that guys that seem like they're 5 yds away from you can now tackle you. That may be hindering the simulation stats as well.

Overall...I'm not mad at where they're at with the game. I know it gets a ton of hate, and a good bit of it is deserved. But they're never gonna make a perfect game and I think if they made an NCAA game with the new consoles coming out......it would sell like freaking hotcakes. And I would be first in line and probably no life it for a while

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I always buy Madden when it's in the bargain bin in the ps store. I always regret it. They half ass everything. I don't know why EA doesn't produce an arcade alternative to Madden with the same jacked engine. If they stripped it down and made the graphics more entertaining, it might actually play well. One of the big problems for me is that it tries to be a sim and fails miserably.

Soonerfan09

New info for Madden 21 Franchise dropped today.

• The new X-Factors make their way into Franchise. More details on X-Factors in Madden NFL 21 coming soon!
  • Franchise has an expanded Wild Card Playoff round to match the real-life NFL which now features 3 games for each conference instead of 2.
  • Updated all rookie contract amounts to be more authentic to the actual Draft rookie contracts for all 7 rounds
  • Retuned every position’s available Abilities to better consider in-game effectiveness of the ability and archetype authenticity. Also made the 2nd ability unlock for most positions 85 OVR (was 80 OVR in Madden NFL 20.)
  • Fixed multiple cases in logic of players considered for a Dev Trait upgrade at the end of the season not checking the correct stat types.
  • Updates to all team back-end depth chart philosophies so they match the team’s scheme.
  • Added position-specific Offensive Lineman archetype progression buckets for OT, OG, and C to capture variance in OVR formulas based on positional expectations. Previously, all OL were pulling from the same progression bucket.
  • Fixed issue where defensive playbooks and schemes for our fictional coaches would be misaligned (e.g. 3-4 playbook with a 4-3 scheme.)
https://www.operationsports.com/mad...-the-franchise-rise-to-fame-details-revealed/

Update thread title please.

Wolfman21

lol at these "updates". Fuckin roster update is all this game is. Anyone that buys it might as well light 60 bucks on fire

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Even OS said the Franchise updates look like “patch notes”, I’m dead

Haven’t bought this in a while but I want to do a Franchise. I’m looking into PC for the modding community

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

Haven’t bought this in a while but I want to do a Franchise. I’m looking into PC for the modding community

I always get it when it's really cheap in the PS4 sales. It's always turrible. Franchise is always broken in some way, and the gameplay is god awful.

Wolfman21

if you do the $5/month origin deal, you can play Madden 20 for free..well, for $5 per month, but...."free"

Wolfman21

thought i'd fool around with madden 21 since i have origin access. I drafted a 4.34 40 running back in the first draft i did.....hes got 93 speed. 4.34 with 93 speed? WTF? That should be 95,96 speed atleast. I drafted a linebacker that ran a 4.45 and hes at 91 speed, lol.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Perfect!

I also love that they added some YARD mode, and made it 6 on 6? AHH YES THE EVER POPULAR 6 ON 6 Version of the sport! I remember going to the 6 on 6 tournaments in the offseason! 6 on 6 really changed the way the sport was played because it allowed passing practice to circumvent practice limitation guidelines!

lol, coulda had a cool 7 on 7 mode with official rules and shit. Now little Travis ain't even gonna be able to play center.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@Travis7401 do you actually have the game? I might buy it lol

Yeah, I bought it and downloaded it last night. I plan to play it for exactly the allotted amount of time my cousin wants to play for our Family viday game hour, so definitely don't buy it to play against me! But I'll be sure to let you know if I get addicted to MUT and am constantly playing!

ZackMills

Have mercy
I can't articulate it, but it just doesn't feel right. Controlling ball carriers feels weird. It doesn't feel like I do anything different when I am successful on a play vs when I'm not successful. It is also impossible to guess what the hell your blockers are going to do on running plays. 2k games really spoiled me in that department. I just throw it anytime I play NCAA14 or this turd of a game.

Wolfman21

they put the yard together for 1
I can't articulate it, but it just doesn't feel right. Controlling ball carriers feels weird. It doesn't feel like I do anything different when I am successful on a play vs when I'm not successful. It is also impossible to guess what the hell your blockers are going to do on running plays. 2k games really spoiled me in that department. I just throw it anytime I play NCAA14 or this turd of a game.

agree on this. I actually thought the movement wasn't half bad in 20. I mostly enjoyed the gameplay of that one. I'm not exactly sure what they've changed with 21...but it feels different...and worse. Maybe it has something to do with the Change Of Direction attribute they added....but damn...it just feels sluggish. You really notice it defensively.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I man I love the years when they make ur players turn like an aircraft carrier because user control was too good last season!
Didn't they have a mode where you play /on/ an aircraft carrier a few years back?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ZackMills

Have mercy
I haven't seen anything that bad in Madden 20 yet, but definitely some dumb animations and ball bounces that you just don't see in The Show, FIFA, NHL, or the 2k basketball series.

Wolfman21

I haven't seen anything that bad in Madden 20 yet, but definitely some dumb animations and ball bounces that you just don't see in The Show, FIFA, NHL, or the 2k basketball series.

Madden 20 gameplay was better than 21...in just about every way. Atleast IMO.

The pursuit angles the game has defenders take is a fucking abomination. I scrambled for a 10 yd gain with my QB the other day where a blitzer came off the edge...and instead of rushing towards my QB, he just continued running upfield, which allowed me to get outside. At that point, he turned around and started chasing me, lol.

And simulated stats are just fucking horrible. That hasn't changed since 20. I simulated an entire season....the longest run for my 3 running backs was 8, 9 and 8. And wideouts longest catches are in the 20's....very, very, very, very rarely do you see a simulated game where a receiver has a long gain. Its horrid.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I’m thinking Madden 20 with the PC mods might be the way to go here. Modders have had a year to fix the train wreck already and if 21 is this bad the community will probably keep pushing forward improving on 20.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
They finally released it on PC last year. The modding community has been fixing gameplay issues and other issues for a year at this point. They also have a Start Today Franchise type feature that makes buying a new game pointless.

The only reason I haven’t impulse bought it is because I found I needed to install Origin so I said forget it and hopped in my spaceship instead

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think it’s perfect! Buying ultimate Trog mode got me Lamar Jackson, so I ran around like an asshole with impunity! The pursuit angles from the DEs haven’t been this bad since Mike Vick days!

The funny thing is if you choose a designed roll out, the DE/game cheats and gives him the edge, so don’t do that! Just pick a normal shotgun play, wait till the DE is vacuum sealed to your line in a non-pocket (always has been) and take off!

Lamar had 140 yards rushing in my victory!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Don't get me wrong, throwing the ball on 4 verts with the outside receiver hot routed to slant is still there too, so I probably threw for 200 yards as well. I'd only take off running if the opponent was in man and also manually covering the middle with the MLB.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
For some reason Madden 20 for PC is still full price on Origin. That's disappointing.

There's an NCAA mod for it now also

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Are the modders and mods any good?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
People at THE MOTHERSHIP act like they are. I’m not sure. There’s an NCAA mod but you’re capped at 32 teams. There’s some gameplay improvement mods.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
32 teams in college football seems oddly prescient. It's not hard to imagine that the NCAA collapses and they move to a 32 team semi-pro superleague. If you wanna play football at Northwest Louisiana State, it's gonna be with flags.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
They have created all the teams and can use them in exhibition. For Franchise it’s 32 teams and you can swap them in and out of the game using an excel file. No idea on recruiting etc, probably not possible

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Madden 21 is so hilariously bad I can't put it into proper perspective. The gameplay is just worse than NCAA14. They keep tacking new parts onto the turd game engine and it results in more and more issues and exploits. Called an audible on defense and my entire team walked over to the offensive side of the ball before the snap!

My cousin and I tried to play the new 2 player co-op mode against 2 other players and they have this awesome glitch where the "offensive captain" picks the play and snaps the ball, but then it switches control of the QB to the other player right after the snap on some high % of the plays. So my cousin would think he was running a pattern with the TE, only to realize he was Lamar Jackson sprinting up the middle like an asshole! Fortunately, that's a very successful tactic so we just rolled with it. It was always a mystery who would actually be in control of the QB! We tried to get bold and actually throw the ball and shit, but then you couldn't tell who it would switch to the WR either, so needless to say there were some problems with WRs cutting their routes off, lol. We went back to just sprinting up the middle with Lamar Jackson every play and the poor fellas playing us were unwilling to commit to that level of cheese. After seeing how effective this was I don't think I'll ever do anything else!

to describe the glitch better to FIFA folk, It would be like playing Teams in FIFA but have the game randomly switch to a new "any" player whenever the game decides. HILARITY!

So basically it's perfect.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I kept accusing him of switching on purpose. STOP SWITCHING MOTHERFUCKER! and he'd accuse me of the same. Finally we both put our controllers down and watched the game just switch at random, lol.

Don't worry EA IS AWARE OF THE ISSUE AND IT MIGHT BE FIXED IN SOME FUTURE PATCH OR VERSION OF THE GAME!

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Madden 21 is so hilariously bad I can't put it into proper perspective. The gameplay is just worse than NCAA14. They keep tacking new parts onto the turd game engine and it results in more and more issues and exploits. Called an audible on defense and my entire team walked over to the offensive side of the ball before the snap!

My cousin and I tried to play the new 2 player co-op mode against 2 other players and they have this awesome glitch where the "offensive captain" picks the play and snaps the ball, but then it switches control of the QB to the other player right after the snap on some high % of the plays. So my cousin would think he was running a pattern with the TE, only to realize he was Lamar Jackson sprinting up the middle like an asshole! Fortunately, that's a very successful tactic so we just rolled with it. It was always a mystery who would actually be in control of the QB! We tried to get bold and actually throw the ball and shit, but then you couldn't tell who it would switch to the WR either, so needless to say there were some problems with WRs cutting their routes off, lol. We went back to just sprinting up the middle with Lamar Jackson every play and the poor fellas playing us were unwilling to commit to that level of cheese. After seeing how effective this was I don't think I'll ever do anything else!

to describe the glitch better to FIFA folk, It would be like playing Teams in FIFA but have the game randomly switch to a new "any" player whenever the game decides. HILARITY!

So basically it's perfect.

This is actually exactly how player switching in Co-Op Seasons mode works, so I'm guessing that EA Montreal just sent the Madden guys the code for that lol

it's always a surprise who you switch to, and sometimes you pass the ball to a computer controlled player and it just switches YOU to the guy getting the ball, instead of ur human teammate...but NOT all the time. It's so wonky

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
"throw me the ball I'm open!"

"uh... you're Lamar and you've just run past the TE you wanted me to throw to! "

Lamar running a post route from the snap, surprisingly effective strategy.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
This is actually exactly how player switching in Co-Op Seasons mode works, so I'm guessing that EA Montreal just sent the Madden guys the code for that lol

it's always a surprise who you switch to, and sometimes you pass the ball to a computer controlled player and it just switches YOU to the guy getting the ball, instead of ur human teammate...but NOT all the time. It's so wonky

Apparently it worked in some slightly more logical (but bad) fashion last year, so they've managed to dick it up somehow, lol. That house of cards game code from 2004 is always just one new addition from crumbling.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I think, somehow, they just don't understand how to regression test anything. They just "fix" something and test the fix, not the full functionality, and call it a day. They actually ship the game with multiple problems like this every year! Part of that is the pressure of the annual release, but some percentage of that issue is sheer incompetence.

Why can't we just move to a GaaS model for these sports games? $4.99 a month gets you routine patches, annual roster updates, etc. If you are some kinda rural redneck and don't have broadband you can still buy annual releases, but those are just a gold version of whatever code is finalized as of 30 days before "release" or whatever.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The new feature of XFACTOR ABILIITES is probably their 3rd hamfisted attempt to implement what APF 2k8 did so well, lol.

APF2k8 was cool because Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders were both able to dominate while feeling completely different. EA has never been able to come close to that level of nuance with play styles. Each year you just have some meta rating that matters most and the players with more of that rating are the best. Otherwise all players "feel" basically identical, just on a spectrum of bad/good.