• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

osick87

Community Liaison
kaka-gi-isplakja-parite-od-prvoto-kolo-117178.jpg

Milo

Listened to the English feed broadcast duo on the Unimas Friday game tonight. They were so bad that I would have rather listened to a Feldman-Balboa duo(oddly, Balboa was a part of an awkward pre-game show featuring a Spanish language interview of Brian Ching(Ching doesn't seem to speak Spanish)). By the second half, Stockholm syndrome set in and now I'm honestly looking forward to listening to them next week to see if they can reach new peaks of awfulness.

Also, was entertaining listening to a muffled conversation about all things soccer inadvertently being picked up by mics. Got some hot takes about Mourinho and the Champions League. With Robbie Keane telling the world to "FUCK OFF" on opening night, safe to say...

MLS IS BACK, BABY!

Snorky's Shame

Listened to the English feed broadcast duo on the Unimas Friday game tonight. They were so bad that I would have rather listened to a Feldman-Balboa duo(oddly, Balboa was a part of an awkward pre-game show featuring a Spanish language interview of Brian Ching(Ching doesn't seem to speak Spanish)). By the second half, Stockholm syndrome set in and now I'm honestly looking forward to listening to them next week to see if they can reach new peaks of awfulness.

Also, was entertaining listening to a muffled conversation about all things soccer inadvertently being picked up by mics. Got some hot takes about Mourinho and the Champions League. With Robbie Keane telling the world to "FUCK OFF" on opening night, safe to say...

MLS IS BACK, BABY!

Judging from the highlights, it sounded like a Spanish broadcast but only in English. Sounded awful when Andres Cantor tried it in 2000 at the Olympics, sounds awful now. Especially in comparison to a normal Premier League/Champions' League broadcast.

Yeah, Minnesota is a good add. Hopefully MLS can get a deal done in Miami but both sides need to give a little bit. Miami City Council sounds like it wants to shoe in the Miami Hurricanes into this proposed stadium. Horrible idea, either the stadium is too small for the Hurricanes or too big for Beckham's MLS team. MLS might need to give in on demanding downtown stadiums. Most MLS fans are too stupid to figure out that downtown land tends to be expensive and think downtown stadiums can be built with no problems. In New York and Chicago it's really expensive and I think that applies in Miami as well. Just keep it in the city limits with good public transportation and car access and you'll be fine.

Awesome. Just awesome. Chicago is playing like the Chicago of last year.

Or the year before that, and year before that, etc.

First of all, there is no way there was 16,000 at that game today. I'd say 11-12K and it was a great day by March standards here (sunny and 55). That tells me there is zero interest in this team. Judging from the first two games so far, I don't blame people for staying away.

mcnoles

Will be going to my first MLS game this Saturday (March 21) between Orlando City SC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Can't wait! :thumbsup:

Snorky's Shame

That was a pretty good ending in Portland. 2-2 after both teams score in the last minute.

Also David Villa with a goal and an assist in New York City's 2-0 win.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
kTtzci.png

Chicago are such world-class guests when it comes to following house rules while on the road. It's uncanny.

Snorky's Shame

Looks like good news in Minnesota could be cancelled by happenings in Toronto

I hate this. I hate this more than what's happening in Miami.

I've been following this story for a while now (which had an effect on four different leagues) and to had to come to grips with two uncomfortable realities as a casual CFL/Argonauts fan:

- No one gives a shit about the CFL or the Argonauts in Toronto anymore, I could make the argument Eastern Canada doesn't really care about the CFL as well.

- The Argo fanbase can be best described as out of touch. Some of the gems I've heard are MLS and Toronto FC will be out of business in five years and that the Argonauts will be the primary tenant at BMO. No, you'll be a secondary tenant and continue to have second choice of dates just like at the Rogers Centre. These are probably the same people who voted for Rob Ford and think Don Cherry is still relevant.

I don't think moving the Argonauts will solve any of their problems. If Wayne Gretzky, John Candy, Rocket Ismail, Doug Flutie, and winning the 100th Grey Cup in your home stadium couldn't generate interest in the Argonauts, shouldn't that be a sign that Toronto just doesn't care about the Argonauts anymore?

This move just screwed over Toronto FC, the Canadian National Team and by extension MLS. All because the Argonauts have not been able to get their shit together for over two decades.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I know a few years back the Argos were going to move to York University and have a similar arrangement that the Alouettes have with McGill University but the Argos found a way to fuck it up.

Snorky's Shame

Yeah, they fucked up Varsity Stadium/University of Toronto plan and the original BMO Field plan as well. All to go back to the Rogers Centre for free rent. Now that they're getting kicked out of the Rogers Centre, they're paying for those mistakes. I fail to see why they didn't piggyback off the Pan-Am Games to get a stadium as well.

To be honest, I think they're dead franchise walking, which is sad because they are the oldest professional football team in North America. They have no one to blame but themselves for the mess they're in.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Luca, next time, use the default difficulty level when you play FIFA, okay young master? Thanks.

D.C. win at the death over L.A. thanks to Pontius and the kid's inability to defend while playing FIFA 15 at the Pro difficulty level upstairs on his XBox One.

jdlikewhoa

Luca, next time, use the default difficulty level when you play FIFA, okay young master? Thanks.

D.C. win at the death over L.A. thanks to Pontius and the kid's inability to defend while playing FIFA 15 at the Pro difficulty level upstairs on his XBox One.
You're such a dumbass.

NML

I guess I should explain why that shit is so disgusting, as lots of you probably don't know the story of "Luca."

Luca DeLaGarza was AJ, of the LA Galaxy, son who passed away about a week after being born. He had heart issues - a condition called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.

So when that mongoloid talks about Luca's "inability to defend," I personally get upset. I guess I can't speak for everyone and it could be a "when you have kids you'll understand" thing.

Snorky's Shame

That game was not worth catching pneumonia for.

Nice to see Twellman taking shots at the Fire. The organization needs it.

Kind of disconcerting that Chicago couldn't create many chances, especially after the red card.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
Twellman can eat a dick, as usual. I heard someone decided to make a 30 for 30 reference and had an "I Hate Taylor Twellman" sign at the game.

NML

Fire managed to find the one franchise struggling more than they are.

Philly were definitely the better team after the red card, but before that they just seemed to unwilling to push forward.

I've got no clue what the Union are doing. They had three of the brightest young GKs in MLS/US 6 months ago, yet it seems to be their weakest position right now and their starter is 28. That front four yesterday completely lacked any quality. No depth either, seeing as their three subs were useless.

Snorky's Shame

Twellman can eat a dick, as usual. I heard someone decided to make a 30 for 30 reference and had an "I Hate Taylor Twellman" sign at the game.

Meh, most of the shots were of the "I can't believe the Fire have fallen so far variety."

Hard to disagree, the Fire are still stuck in MLS v1.0

NML

Headed to the Jax Armada game. We're probably going to set the NASL attendance record, but it's raining

Tailback U

Went to the Earthquakes game in their new stadium this last weekend. Don't care much for soccer but it was nice to be at s sporting even with kids able to run around, people laying down in the grass, single file lines in the bathroom etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Snorky's Shame

Montreal has just gone 1-0 up in the second leg. They're going to the final of the CCL unless Alajuelense score four in the second half.

Snorky's Shame

Alajuelense got the four they needed. Thankfully Montreal got one in the second half to advance to the final on away goals.

NML

Starting to think Charlie Davies should get back into the national team mix. He's done such a great job transforming his game into that poacher role. Certainly like him more than Wondo.