• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Soccer lol. I can’t even watch this damn game and I have Apple TV. They getting treated like the PAC 4

Snorky's Shame

MLS Expansion Team Names Since 2015

New York City
Orlando City
Atlanta United
Minnesota United
Los Angeles FC
FC Cincinnati
Inter Miami
Nashville SC
Austin FC
Charlotte FC
St. Louis City
San Diego FC

5 FC’s, 3 City’s, 2 United’s, 1 Inter and 1 SC

Not to mention CF Montreal and when Columbus tried to get rid of the Crew name.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
New York City prolly shouldn't count in that atrocious name tally, but I'm dying at Orlando City and St. Louis City.

Brick

SKOL

it just cover band/retirement home soccer

my FOOTBAW MANAGER transfer to SKY BET SHAMPSHIP from MLS was garb. transferred him to some lower rung scottish SQUAD lol

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
What's the strategy here? If they want to be like other leagues, they'd cap the teams at 20 and start a relegation system, or, condense the talent pool. There's already 29 teams lol.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The strategy is to make the owners money through expansion fees since the TV deal with Apple TV is dogshit.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
MLS Expansion Team Names Since 2015

New York City
Orlando City
Atlanta United
Minnesota United
Los Angeles FC
FC Cincinnati
Inter Miami
Nashville SC
Austin FC
Charlotte FC
St. Louis City
San Diego FC

5 FC’s, 3 City’s, 2 United’s, 1 Inter and 1 SC

Not to mention CF Montreal and when Columbus tried to get rid of the Crew name.

I've said before how much I hated those faux-European names for MLS teams, but heck, D.C. "United" started it back in the very beginning of the league.

"Real" Salt Lake and Sporting KC are just as bad. Yeah, I'm sure the King of Spain roots for some team in Bumfuck, USA.

Snorky's Shame

Real Salt Lake is the worst offender. I just call them Salt Lake, Kansas City and Miami (RIP Grant Wahl).

Metrostars had a hand in the beginning as well. First team without a geographic identifier. Like Juventus, Ajax and Arsenal (after they dropped Woolwich).

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I've said before how much I hated those faux-European names for MLS teams, but heck, D.C. "United" started it back in the very beginning of the league.

"Real" Salt Lake and Sporting KC are just as bad. Yeah, I'm sure the King of Spain roots for some team in Bumfuck, USA.

DC United is also...in the city. It's not out in the surrounding counties.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Real Salt Lake is the worst offender. I just call them Salt Lake, Kansas City and Miami (RIP Grant Wahl).

Metrostars had a hand in the beginning as well. First team without a geographic identifier. Like Juventus, Ajax and Arsenal (after they dropped Woolwich).

Didn't the Metrostars begin as the New York/New Jersey Metrostars? (LOL @ New York having to waste space and characters on "New Jersey" - as stupid a name as "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim")

Also, any team calling theyselfs "FC" when your own fucking league calls ITSELF "Major League SOCCER" are a bunch of chuds. At least Nashville has the sense to call itself SC, although they're no more a "club" than the LA Clippers are a "club."

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
DC United is also...in the city. It's not out in the surrounding counties.

Even if it were, the actual English teams with "United" in their name is because their history was where two (or more) smaller clubs actually, you know - united - to become one club. AFAIK this was not the case for DC United.

Fuck it - American sports teams need to be more like Philippine Basketball Association teams, where they're named after their corporate sponsors. I can really get behind the Phoenix Super LPG FuelMasters or the Rain or Shine ElastoPainters!

Snorky's Shame

Didn't the Metrostars begin as the New York/New Jersey Metrostars? (LOL @ New York having to waste space and characters on "New Jersey" - as stupid a name as "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim")

Also, any team calling theyselfs "FC" when your own fucking league calls ITSELF "Major League SOCCER" are a bunch of chuds. At least Nashville has the sense to call itself SC, although they're no more a "club" than the LA Clippers are a "club."

Yeah, but I think they dropped NY/NJ in 1998 without telling anyone. The only other team I remember using the NY/NJ moniker is the NY/NJ Knights of the World League of American Football.

Side note: My opinion is you get to fall in love with one spring football league in your lifetime before figuring it out that it’s a waste of time. For me, that league was the WLAF.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
No, it's just a moniker they adopted to sound more like a legitimate team. It makes no sense.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Even if it were, the actual English teams with "United" in their name is because their history was where two (or more) smaller clubs actually, you know - united - to become one club. AFAIK this was not the case for DC United.

Fuck it - American sports teams need to be more like Philippine Basketball Association teams, where they're named after their corporate sponsors. I can really get behind the Phoenix Super LPG FuelMasters or the Rain or Shine ElastoPainters!

The Philadelphia Black and Milds!

ds-mia.png

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Yeah, but I think they dropped NY/NJ in 1998 without telling anyone. The only other team I remember using the NY/NJ moniker is the NY/NJ Knights of the World League of American Football.

Side note: My opinion is you get to fall in love with one spring football league in your lifetime before figuring it out that it’s a waste of time. For me, that league was the WLAF.

I rooted for the European teams in that league. IIRC, the London Monarchs were the class of the league. The Frankfurt Galaxy and Barcelona Dragons were the other two, I think.

I recall one time when there was some hubbub about the Barcelona Dragons (whose usual home uniforms were a green jersey and helmet, with white pants) having some wardrobe malfunction where their equipment manager somehow forgot to pack their home uniforms and so they wore their white away uniforms instead. Apparently the Barcelona fans, whose archivals are Real Madrid (and whose kits are all-white) had to be placated when "their" American football team came out wearing - all white, lol.

Snorky's Shame

We got Red Bull New York already.

Home Depot United (Atlanta)

Morningstar Fire (Chicago)

Enterprise City (St. Louis)

Mickey Mouse Club (Orlando)

Ok, I made up that last one.

Snorky's Shame

I rooted for the European teams in that league. IIRC, the London Monarchs were the class of the league. The Frankfurt Galaxy and Barcelona Dragons were the other two, I think.

I recall one time when there was some hubbub about the Barcelona Dragons (whose usual home uniforms were a green jersey and helmet, with white pants) having some wardrobe malfunction where their equipment manager somehow forgot to pack their home uniforms and so they wore their white away uniforms instead. Apparently the Barcelona fans, whose archivals are Real Madrid (and whose kits are all-white) had to be placated when "their" American football team came out wearing - all white, lol.

Wasn’t the issue that every team in the league had to wear their white jersey at home for one game but Barcelona politely told the league to fuck off for the reason you stated.

Kind of wish if London got an NFL team they would acquire the Monarch’s branding. I always choose the Monarchs when I move the Jaguars in Madden.

Also, Sacramento Surge for life. Only American team to win the World Bowl.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Wasn’t the issue that every team in the league had to wear their white jersey at home for one game but Barcelona politely told the league to fuck off for the reason you stated.

Kind of wish if London got an NFL team they would acquire the Monarch’s branding. I always choose the Monarchs when I move the Jaguars in Madden.

Also, Sacramento Surge for life. Only American team to win the World Bowl.

Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks FTW! Coached by the great Roman Gabriel!