• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

Snorky's Shame

So the name of Beckham’s new team could be Miami Freedom.

Interesting considering we already have the New England Revolution and possibly Sacramento Republic.

Just waiting for the Impact to become Montreal Liberte Egalite Fraternite.

Snorky's Shame

Cincinnati looks to be announced as the 26th team sometime next week. A few things:

1) I’m sure when this process started that MLS had Cincinnati and Nashville in mind /s. Just like in 2011, they settled.

2) I’d imagine Columbus will be moving to Austin. Makes no sense to have a team in Cincinnati and Columbus.

3) Kiss Sacramento goodbye unless they find someone with a ton of money. Thinking Detroit and Phoenix are the two favorites right now.

Snorky's Shame

How? From an outsider’s POV I’d make the move 10 times out of 10. If I had my way, I’d keep the Crew in Columbus and grant an expansion team to Austin.

I’m still convinced Cincinnati and Nashville are not what the league had in mind when this process started.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Yeah the potential for an Austin club is worlds better than Columbus. I understand it sucks getting rid of an original MLS team but with Cincinnati looking like a lock, no points in Columbus.

Las Vegas IMO is the only place left (if Miami indeed ever does happen) that could be a huge success. Phoenix could be good but they aren't exactly known for supporting local teams. Detroit is OK.

Also it's a pipe dream but if they ever found someone who could build an awesome stadium in San Francisco or Oakland, they would absolutely kill. San Jose is just too hard to get to for lots of people and the quality of the stadium isn't anything special.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
How? From an outsider’s POV I’d make the move 10 times out of 10. If I had my way, I’d keep the Crew in Columbus and grant an expansion team to Austin.

I’m still convinced Cincinnati and Nashville are not what the league had in mind when this process started.
From an insiders perspective it’s a dumb ass move. The best “grassroots movement” actually in town has been the one funded and directed by the owner of the Crew and there’s not really the public demand or support. The city has twice had USL or whatever that league is called and they’ve both moved because of support.

The proposed is well north of downtown on a highway that already becomes complete shit during normal hours and has very limited public transportation. Pretty much anyone downtown and south, the main real hub of the city, is going to have a giant pain in the ass to get anywhere close.

Not to mention ITS FUCKING HOT Here all summer, same it is in Houston and Dallas for the bottom of the league attendance figures.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Won't be a problem once the league moves to a fall/winter/spring season.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah the potential for an Austin club is worlds better than Columbus. I understand it sucks getting rid of an original MLS team but with Cincinnati looking like a lock, no points in Columbus.

Las Vegas IMO is the only place left (if Miami indeed ever does happen) that could be a huge success. Phoenix could be good but they aren't exactly known for supporting local teams. Detroit is OK.

Also it's a pipe dream but if they ever found someone who could build an awesome stadium in San Francisco or Oakland, they would absolutely kill. San Jose is just too hard to get to for lots of people and the quality of the stadium isn't anything special.
I think PHX has the better organization right now, but Vegas has probably bumped up a bit with its NHL success. TBH, I feel like they are more likely to get the 32nd NBA team if it ever comes to it (doubt it due to lack of talent, but who knows)

The nice thing in Phx's favor is that soccer has a lot less bandwagoning to deal with. I know Florida teams run into the same problem the PHX teams do where most of the people have moved from up north and already support teams. No one cares about MLS though, so PHX Rising can grow organically!

doh

I think PHX has the better organization right now, but Vegas has probably bumped up a bit with its NHL success. TBH, I feel like they are more likely to get the 32nd NBA team if it ever comes to it (doubt it due to lack of talent, but who knows)

The nice thing in Phx's favor is that soccer has a lot less bandwagoning to deal with. I know Florida teams run into the same problem the PHX teams do where most of the people have moved from up north and already support teams. No one cares about MLS though, so PHX Rising can grow organically!
I think from the 'draw a global star' perspective, Vegas and Miami >>> PHX.

Schauwn

From an insiders perspective it’s a dumb ass move. The best “grassroots movement” actually in town has been the one funded and directed by the owner of the Crew and there’s not really the public demand or support. The city has twice had USL or whatever that league is called and they’ve both moved because of support.

The proposed is well north of downtown on a highway that already becomes complete shit during normal hours and has very limited public transportation. Pretty much anyone downtown and south, the main real hub of the city, is going to have a giant pain in the ass to get anywhere close.

Not to mention ITS FUCKING HOT Here all summer, same it is in Houston and Dallas for the bottom of the league attendance figures.
Where's the proposed site? 620?

doh

Seems like today they're going to announce FC Cincinnati to MLS. Maybe it can become the new Portland?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Cincinnati as a city is a weird cross between old school conservative Catholics and a bunch of hipsters.

doh

I'm thinking maybe between size of city, USL 'promoted' club with great following, good ownership and a good stadium, they could become like Portland.

Evidently they'll start playing next year. I'm sure they'll totally sell out Nippert for the first year or two with the new stadium opening in 2021.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It's also sustainable because they don't have much else (please spare me, the Reds and Bengals are awful), and a lot of Crew fans will switch over.

doh

Except for the stadium issue... I give NYCFC credit. They're spending tons of money and actually taking MLS seriously.

Snorky's Shame

I was at the game. Three things.

1) They never open the whole stadium for cup games. The whole stadium will not be open for the Tournament of Nations with the USWNT in August either.

2) This game was not included in our season ticket packages.

3) It took me 2 hours to get to the game. I live less than 20 miles from the stadium.

I’ll write more later.

doh

So looks like Paulson/Portland is protesting the LAFC match yesterday because they used too many international players. What a clown.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Some people are losing their shit in Nashville over this MLS soccer stadium and where they are putting it. They had an open meeting the other night. This opponent is worth a watch lol.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
giphy.webp

This guy has a...loose grasp on economics.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I don't know what they gonna do if it doesn't pass lol. It was 7 votes short at the preliminary vote.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That guy might have an IQ of 150 but his accent and speech patterns just make me immediately assume he's a JAR

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
What’s the major hang up/complaint? I couldn’t watch the video.
They are planning to put the stadium at the State Fairgrounds. They are leasing 10 acres to the billionaire owner for 200k per year for 30 years.

The people who like to go to the shitty flea markets held there are mad lol. They don't want it turned into more of the same in new Nashville...mixed use development. Retail and residential and hipsters. Taxpayers are also footing like 250 million for the stadium.

I no longer live in Davidson county, but I do work there. I could give two shits about soccer, so I am truly neutral on this, but why doesn't the billionaire just buy the land from the city and pay for his own stadium?

There is also the issue that the nutjob brought up in his statement. That land was conveyed to the state on condition that certain agricultural events are held there per yer and if they are not, the land reverts back to the original owner's heirs.

Snorky's Shame

Welcome Club Internacional de Futbol Miami to MLS.

61cb6fc6e8dce8d534c003c61931cb11.jpg

Nashville stadium gets final approval from the Metro Council.

Wow, going from 10 teams in 2004 to 26 in 2020 that quickly. That’s one team per year.

Snorky's Shame

30,000 seems a bit ambitious. I’d imagine Tennessee State will probably be using that stadium as well.

EDIT: Tennessee State doesn’t play all it’s games at Nissan Stadium anymore, didn’t know they moved some games back to campus.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
The initial talks were that Vandy would lol. I haven't heard TSU or Vandy mentioned since the final plans came out. The old Nashville Speedway is staying put. That is the only thing I cared about. Glad that is staying. That place has some history behind it.

Snorky's Shame

Yeah, that was the problem with Miami earlier. The Hurricanes wanted to share the new stadium with Beckham’s team but capacity would have been too small for the Hurricanes and too big for the MLS team.

There is something similar going on right now in San Diego with the San Diego State West proposal going up against the Soccer City proposal for use of the land Jack Murphy Stadium sits on. I got my money on San Diego State winning that.