• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Moscow Mules

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
PART 3 - PITCHING

Pitchers have 3 main ratings

Stuff = How good they are at striking other players out.
Movement = This rating basically affects how well opposition players hit the ball when they do make contact. Higher movement typically means when opposition players make contact it won't be as good. This is a bit complicated, but basically a high movement pitcher will typically allow fewer HRs (fly balls fall short), have a better ground ball %, and have a lower BABIP (relative to defense/park factors) because line drives and grounders won't be hit as well, allowing your defenders to make an out.
Control = How well a pitcher can place their pitches. The primary effect of this is on walks, but high control pitchers are also easier to control via strategy (pitch around or pitch to contact).

There isn't a great answer on which of these is "most important," as it depends a lot on your ballpark and your defense, but generally speaking High stuff is a good thing for all pitchers because striking a player out is always a good outcome. High movement is really important in ballparks that give up a lot of HRs and for teams that have great defense. High control is important for teams who need to limit on base percentage (typically pitcher friendly ball parks where hits are hard to come by). Ideally you can find pitchers who rock at all 3, but that's not always the case so you have to tailor it for your ballpark. If you have a terrible defense and a highly offensive ball park you'd prioritize stuff and movement and cope with lower control. If you have a highly defensive build in a pitcher friendly ballpark, you'd prioritize movement and control and be able to sacrifice stuff if necessary. If you have a terrible defense in a pitcher friendly ball park you'd prioritize stuff and control and sacrifice movement. Based on ur current terrible defense (-37.9 ZR and Defensive Efficiency = .664) STUFF is going to be the most important rating for your pitchers, since a strike out is probably the only positive outcome.

SO TRAVIS, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STARTER AND A RELIEF PITCHER?

A traditional starting pitcher needs to have 3 highly rated pitches and a stamina of 50+ so that they can succeed for 7+ innings. If they have less stamina they won't be able to pitch as long or as often. If they only have 2 good pitches, batters will start to take advantage of them as they get more at bats during the game.

A relief pitcher doesn't need high stamina and their "stuff" rating is only based on their best 2 pitches (Provided they only pitch a couple of innings). This usually results in relief pitchers having higher "stuff" (more likely to score strike outs) than an equivalent starting pitcher, since stuff is only based on their best 2 pitches. Any pitcher that is capable of starting will also do fine in relief, and I often keep a guy like this on my roster in case of injury to one of my starters.

While it is important to have a good bullpen, it is also good to remember that your relief pitchers will get 1/3 to 1/2 the innings that your starters get, so relief pitchers are inherently less valuable than starters. That's why I budget less money for them in my wage scale and typically take them later in the draft. That being said, nothing is worse than having ur bullpen blow leads so FML.

You can also experiment with non-standard GIMMICK PITCHER SYSTEMS like @ZackMills had great success with where his starters were limited to like 4 innings and he relied on really good relievers since he found it was easier and more cost effective to gather a bunch of good relief pitchers.

BASIC ROSTER BUILD SUGGESTION:
To start, I recommend carrying 12 pitchers total (could use 13 if you had talent or could get away with 11 if you have high stamina relievers and make some adjustments). You will want 5 of these players to be capable starters. You will want 6 quality relief pitchers. The last player is a SWINGMAN (@Irishman) who plays in the bullpen, but has the capability to be a starter (3+ pitches and 50+ stamina). If things go well, he'll eat low leverage innings for you in the bullpen without getting tired, allowing your best lower stamina pitchers to pitch in high leverage close game situations. If you have an injury to a starting pitcher or one of your starters just plain sucks, you can plug SWINGMAN in to a starting spot and don't skip a beat.

STARTERS -

Elite Starter (Goal = #1 and #2 starter in this class. If you are cost efficient and you can land a #3 of this caliber that's even better)- You want 60+ in all 3 ratings, 3 pitches that are all 60+, 50+ Stamina and a good statistical track record. These players demand a premium and you can pay them up to $15M/year. You currently have zero of these players, but the dude you are about to draft and your prospect VIGGO Mandebacka both meet this criteria, so you should be good in a few years.

Solid starter (Goal = Starters #3-5 in this class) - Average ratings is 55-60 (ie they can have one lower 50-55 rating as long as they have ratings that fit ur system). 3 pitches at 50+ and stamina of 50+. Harrie van Kralingen on ur current roster is on the bottom end of this range and he's on a salary of 1.1 M that meets the wage scale. Adding some players in this category at the correct wages would be a good move. Cuirate could be in this category if his 3rd pitch develops and he shows the stats to prove it, otherwise he might be a better RP with only 2 developed pitches. Having your "worst" starting pitcher be at least this good is an awesome way to accumulate wins. Lots of teams have 3-4 good SPs but then lose a ton of games because their #5 sucks or they get an injury and the replacement sucks.

Serviceble/stop gap starter (Whatever you cant fill above through SP #6/SWINGMAN) - Average rating is 50-55 but every individual rating is 50+. 3 pitches that are at least 40+ and stamina of 50+. You have at least 3 players in this category (or close to it) and they are all on the correct wage scale making minimum salary (Lieu, Wilson, Lopez) and one of your other minimum players (Harle) is pretty close and statistically pitching well (if they are playing well, go with it). You have a good number of players in this category, so you want to keep the ones who are pitching well statistically and making the least. As you get better you'll want to phase these guys out and replace them with solid starters instead (while still keeping the wage scale). These guys aren't going to put up good stats unless you build your team to make them shine, but it is better than throwing some shithead with 45 ratings out there and getting CRUSHED.

Relief pitchers -
ELITE RP (Goal = 2 of these) - No rating less than 65 with 2 pitches 65+. You have nobody in this category.

Solid RP (Goal = 3 of these) - High stuff, which should be easy with only 2 pitches (65+) and movement and control both 55+ David Picket is a good example here and is making the right $. Steve Valentine is close but right at the top end of the wage scale with close to $2M salary. I don't like that his control is only 50 and he doesn't have a good track record, but he is making right at the limit (just under $2M) so given the rest of ur team's situation, he's probably a decent player to keep until you can replace him with someone better. MOAR DAVID PICKETS

Serviceable RP/SWINGMAN (remainder of pitchers) - Super high stuff player with a 50 or 45 minimum rating for the others, or a SWINGMAN SP capable pitcher with 50-55 stuff. Generic 55 rated players who play well statistically in your system can also fall into this category. Give them a try and if they pitch well then keep pitching them, since they are cheap. You've got a bunch of these types but some of them are making too much. Don't pay these guys more than $1M, and preferably pay them league minimum.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
In the Dyson Sphere, you throw out all the pitching rules I just gave you and start LOATHSOME CREATURES with 45 stuff and lol as they lead the league in ERA anyway. Like Tim Tebow, you don't try to question how he does it, you just accept it and move on. Poor Leo Leckenby would have his soul ravaged if that travesty of a Moscow defense was behind him, but with the rigger BABIP CHEAT (.178, lol) combination of the Dyson Sphere and a defense of HOOVERS vacuuming up every poorly hit ball, he has an ERA of 2 and a WHIP of 0.94, both ELITE STATS.

Soonerfan09

How do we see minor league box scores? When I try to, it says File Not Found and to check settings. What do now?

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Definitely make sure you know how the park factors work for or against you. My park isn't as bad the one @NML plays in but high "STUFF" guys without really high control and movement (read: unicorns) get lit up in my park since it's a bandbox. On the pitching front that means I have to get creative and use groundball pitchers with high control and movement and surround them with good defense but that comes at a price (good defensive guys with good bats are also unicorns). On the offense front guys that don't have megapower (Niek Ploeg) tend to go yard more often and do better at home than on the road. Having a smaller park also helps keep guys like Ploeg (horrible outfield range) from being strictly DHs but you also lose out by playing him in the field.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
27805598103_5c91c8826e_o.jpg

May have 0 Championships, but Mr. Manager's reputation is still LEGENDARY!!!!!
6 PLAYOFFS AND 0 SHAMSHIPS? OK BARVES

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
They definitely don't work on the website. I can see what adding them does to the file size.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They definitely don't work on the website. I can see what adding them does to the file size.

Just do them separately if it gets to be too big. I'll test it after I'm done with all the picture uploads and see how big it gets

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I meant in game. Website is easy.

oh yeah, that should probably be increased anyway since it's only the past 7 days right now. I doubt it makes it noticeably bigger, the messages going from 7 to 60 didn't when I made that change a long time ago.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
PART 4 - POSITION PLAYERS

So this is where the other half of your WARS need to come from, and fortunately for you I've created a handy dandy WAR prediction spreadsheet where you can put in a player's bat ratings, their position, their defensive ability, and their base running ability. Now it is a bit confusing, because statistics for hitting, base running, and defense are usually based on the league average. There is a pretty significant difference between a "replacement" player and a league average player, so that needs to be accounted for in the stats as well. On the right hand side of the spreadsheet I've got WARS WON broken down by category. "Rep WAR" is the adjustment between a replacement level player and an "average" level player (which most of the other stats are based on). Players also get more WARS for playing hard positions than they do for playing easy positions and this is listed as POS WAR. An average CF is worth 1 WAR whereas an average 1B is worth -0.2 WAR, for instance. Now Bat, Run, and Def are all "weighted runs above average" (again, I included an adjustment for this as REP WAR). BTT WAR is then the sum of those statistics and is based on an average season of 140 games started (typical starter, assuming about 1 day of rest a week). If you play them more or less than that, you adjust the amount in the "GS" column. In your case, I kept it pretty simple so BTT WAR = PRED WAR for most of your starters.

Now the cool part about this tool is that you can take a look at different substitute, backup, and platoon options as well. There are a total of 9 positions and 162 games =1458 total games. You go down your roster and distribute all 1458 games between your starters, backups and platoon players and when you get all 1458 accounted for (hopefully within the limits of physics, ie you can't have 1 player playing multiple positions in the same games or playing more than 162 games).

Generally speaking, since there are 9 positions and you need 20-25 WARS from these players to make the playoffs, you want each position to account for at 2.2 - 2.7 WARS on average. Now "Elite" players can generate 3+ WARS by themselves (remember the wage scale) while SOLID STARTERS should generate 2+ WARS in 140 games (so the position as a whole generates 2.2-2.7 counting sub games). Then Serviceable/Platoon starters are going to be above 1 predicted WAR. The filler players, backups, subts, Talismans, etc can generate <1 predicted WAR but they should hopefully have a positive prediction at least.

So for your team I went through and highlighted the guys I really like at their pay scale in green. I left the guys who will be ok Stop-Gaps in white and I highlighted the guys I'd get rid of ASAP. Unfortunately, you don't have any ELITE starters at all. You have a borderline SOLID STARTER in Julio Montoya (He'll be SOLID based on potential ratings hen he's fully developed) and he meets the wage scale as well since he's currently on league minimum! Of the "serviceable" starters you've got Michael Blanc, but he's making too much money for the serviceable portion of the wage scale (3.6 M whereas serviceable starters should make <2M). It's a bummer he's making that much, but ratings wise he's still one of your best players so... might as well keep him until the contract is up. You've got Steven Culley who should be a serviceable starter at 2B and he's making the league minimum, so he fits the wage scale as well. Gustavo Munoz, Mujahid Azim, and Javier Hernandez all fit into the "backup" category, IMO, but they are all making less than 1M/year so they fit the wage scale. Your injured player Jorge Lucero is right on the cusp of being a serviceable/platoon starter and he makes the right wage scale. Ur predicted WARS, taking into account the lack of a 4th OF (assuming you leave Rio brown in CF) you'd win 3.3 WARS with this roster. WOOF.

Players who are bad and make too much money for their services also include Brent McBride and Ken Coleman (Coleman is an asshole personality too, woof).

So according to my wage scale you need to shoot for the following number of players in each category. Also depends a little on how many of each category you have on pitching staff, but assuming 12 pitchers you'll need 13 positon players for the 25 man roster and then some additional depth players in AAA that might be on salary as well.
Elite - 3 players
Solid - 3-5 players
Serviceable/Platoon - 4-5
Backup/Talisman/etc - The rest of the 13 players on the 25 man + at least an additional backup for each position in AAA (remember players can back up multiple positions)

28404771535_e4bd4ae0d1_b.jpg

For Comparison, here is a screen shot of one of my better built NDR teams where I set everything up to utilize multiple platoons and I had good role players and backups too. I had 3 true star players on this team and Julio Manuel was right on the cusp of star. I also had 3 "solid" starters and then several serviceable guys who platooned well together. In the end, the predicted WAR for all 162 games by position shows that I was only week at DH, SS, and RF. Everywhere else I met the 2.2-2.7 WAR goal and then I obviously exceeded it at several positions as well. This team was also really cheap because most of the ELITE players (other than Rafael Juarez) were on cheap contracts at the time. You can see how many platoons I utilized as well, utilizing some players like Dani Rodriguez, Mulia Kusuma, Pedro Chavez, and Jose Vigil who had much better splits against one side than they did overall. I was able to get as many starts as possible for those guys against that handedness (about 2/3 of starting pitchers are RHP and about 1/3 are LHP so assume that when analyzing platoons.

28337852702_18623955a5_b.jpg

I'll email you the spreadsheet tomorrow and you can also view this thread where I explain the BTT system more thoroughly and included vidyas on how to use it!

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/travis7401s-newsletter-subscribe-today.1897/

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
PART 5 - PARAGRAPHS AND EXCEL WHILE AT WORK

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean vitae urna enim. Praesent cursus ligula sed dictum accumsan. Nam varius vestibulum pretium. Integer odio erat, aliquam ut lobortis quis, aliquet eget magna. Aliquam a sapien eu turpis fringilla tristique. Nam consequat quam id arcu suscipit, ut finibus sem facilisis. Sed egestas, nunc eu scelerisque mollis, sapien urna ultrices magna, nec tristique nulla orci sit amet lectus. Fusce at felis sit amet augue imperdiet egestas. Sed ac mauris eget purus porttitor viverra.

Sed purus nibh, lacinia quis risus eget, faucibus porttitor mauris. Etiam lacinia pellentesque erat, sed aliquam sem semper id. Mauris a gravida metus. Donec elementum erat sit amet tellus pellentesque sodales. Quisque mattis elit id nunc efficitur, eget vulputate leo pretium. Quisque vulputate in velit ut tempor. Nulla sodales pellentesque nisi. Duis id molestie velit, non consectetur quam. Phasellus id leo euismod tellus mattis auctor sit amet at odio. Vivamus vitae hendrerit nulla. Sed gravida dictum rhoncus. Cras vestibulum ex diam, id accumsan libero laoreet eget. Fusce ornare vulputate volutpat. Proin scelerisque neque orci, ac volutpat purus tristique commodo. Nulla blandit ornare orci, ac dapibus augue vestibulum vel.

Vivamus fermentum sapien vel est fringilla ornare. Pellentesque ac cursus magna. Ut finibus eleifend nisi, at vehicula massa aliquet quis. Quisque at arcu in ante vulputate feugiat. Vivamus laoreet ligula id est elementum condimentum. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Suspendisse magna odio, congue vitae nulla sit amet, mattis congue arcu. Sed congue dapibus felis, laoreet lobortis massa mattis lacinia.

9uBAkwo.jpg

In molestie diam vel tortor dignissim vulputate. Nam et blandit justo. Phasellus et dignissim quam, eu euismod diam. Ut imperdiet blandit vehicula. Donec eu elementum velit, quis eleifend neque. Nam faucibus diam ultricies erat ullamcorper accumsan. Sed sit amet metus ac elit lacinia tincidunt vestibulum non neque. Donec eget porttitor arcu. Pellentesque lacinia nibh sit amet euismod aliquet. Vivamus at lacinia nulla. Curabitur vel augue id dui scelerisque consectetur. Fusce libero quam, blandit quis leo vitae, ullamcorper blandit velit. Fusce non quam mattis metus luctus sodales. Nunc molestie tincidunt nunc, eu tristique lorem elementum blandit.

G24bDQf.jpg

Nam et ligula sagittis elit venenatis hendrerit. Praesent venenatis pulvinar semper. Praesent quis ante pharetra, ultricies lectus eu, feugiat eros. Vivamus condimentum nisi ut laoreet ultrices. Vestibulum luctus dapibus felis et malesuada. Nullam aliquam varius magna, sodales sagittis eros rutrum vel. Donec non leo scelerisque libero malesuada ullamcorper. Nulla dictum risus non lacus hendrerit tristique. Donec condimentum feugiat mauris, vitae malesuada tellus hendrerit vitae. Maecenas imperdiet purus elementum ante mattis mollis. Suspendisse sagittis tortor at lacus aliquet, sed dapibus libero fringilla. Curabitur sodales arcu ac nisl vehicula, quis laoreet felis feugiat. Etiam fermentum orci et quam hendrerit consequat.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit!

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/travis7401s-newsletter-subscribe-today.1897/

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
What's an average Range Factor on this game per position? From what I can tell, they're all extremely high.

I set the following minimums based on position for my organization in descending order of defensive importance (My LF being more important than my RF and needing 55 range is a bit of an anomaly due to my park factors).

CF - 70
SS - 65
2B - 60
3B - 55
LF - 55
RF - 50
1B - 35

Most people in the league would use the following order and low end range for each position:
CF - 60
SS - 60
2B - 55
3B - 45
RF - 45
LF - 45
1B - 30

Players can get by with less range if they have elite ratings in other defensive categories, but generally range is most important for defense.

Soonerfan09

I set the following minimums based on position for my organization in descending order of defensive importance (My LF being more important than my RF and needing 55 range is a bit of an anomaly due to my park factors).

CF - 70
SS - 65
2B - 60
3B - 55
LF - 55
RF - 50
1B - 35

Most people in the league would use the following order and low end range for each position:
CF - 60
SS - 60
2B - 55
3B - 45
RF - 45
LF - 45
1B - 30

Players can get by with less range if they have elite ratings in other defensive categories, but generally range is most important for defense.

I was actually talking about the RF statistic in fielding stats, although what you posted is useful information too.
After doing a little more research, they aren't quite as high as I thought earlier, but they still seem to be pretty high. I think there are just too many variables for the RF statistic to really matter enough to use it in anything other than certain situations.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Oh gotcha, you are talking about the positional rating for RF? The position rating is a bit hard to understand in this game because it is more of a measure of their experience at the position (provided they have the minimum individual fielding ratings to play a position). If a player has suitable fielding ratings to play a position they WILL get to 65+ rating at that position with enough practice/game time, but the amount of time it takes to get that positional rating depends on the difficulty of the position (CF and SS take longer to learn) and the player's intangibles (intelligence, work ethic, etc). If the player doesn't meet the minimum individual fielding ratings for a position, it doesn't matter how much experience you give them, they will never become good at it (ie Playing a guy with 45 range at SS). What I've found is that the individual ratings for range/errors/etc are the best predictor for actual statistical success, but the position rating serves as a modifier. If a player has a 65+ positional rating, they will typically outperform their individual fielding ratings and you can get away with lower ratings for range/errors than you normally could for that position (typically this is older guys with experience who lose range through aging). If a player has 55-60 positional rating they will perform as expected. If a player has a 40-50 positional rating they will underperform their individual defensive ratings, but are still usually ok if they have high individual ratings. If a player has a position rating <40 they will typically under perform by a TON.

So this really highlights the importance of building player flexibility through experience in your minor league system. You will have certain players you draft or obtain through IFA who have the individual rating skillset to be good at a certain position, but no position rating. You'll need to give them experience at those positions in the minor leagues so that by the time they reach the WBL they are accomplished (hopefully at multiple positions). Here is a good example: I drafted this dude EARL PEOPLES as a middle infield player (2B/SS) but noticed he also had great OF ratings (75 range, 60 errors, 60 arm) but no OF ratings. I decided to get him experience at CF this season and he has already gone from 0 positional rating to 40. In the next few years I'll be getting Earl time at 2B, SS, and CF (players will lose positional rating if they haven't played that position in a long time) as well as adding time at LF/RF and maybe 3B. He doesn't have the bat to be a great WBL player, but he has the potential to be a + or ++ player at 2 key defensive positions (SS and CF) which could make him a valuable backup in case of injury. Players also learn really well if they are on your spring training roster. Spring training spent at a position can be worth a whole season of experience, so keep this in mind as you add flexibility to your roster. I typically want all of my WBL players, other than C/1B/DH, to be able to play 2-3 positions well at a minimum. That makes dealing with injury much easier.

So the reason you see a lot of LF/RF etc with 65+ position ratings is that it isn't a super hard skillset so a lot of players meet the minimum individual fielding requirements for the position and they are also fairly easy positions to learn so players learn them quickly.

Here is how I look at fielding ratings and how they relate to position:

Range = Most important see minimums
Errors = 2nd most important for all positions, want a nice high value for this.
Arm = Most important for 3B and RF
TDP = Most important for SS and 2B

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Lesson 6 or whateva is all about managing ur entire organization for cultivating future WBL talent. First I talk about the organizational depth chart in OOTP and then I discuss how I set up my own organizational depth chart.

*one thing I forgot to mention is that you can create "Shortlists" for your players and it makes it real easy to keep track of them that way, even if they leave ur system.

Lloyd Carr

Where can I read about the BTT and ERA+ rating metrics again, @Travis7401 ?

edit: nevermind, I found it. Looks like Buffalo will be bad forever, because I am way too impatient and lazy to figure out the BTT method and how to work excel.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I talk about intangibles a bit in the vidya I just made, but I'll expand on it a bit more here:

There are 6 traits that are visible (Leader/Loyalty/Desire for Win/Greed/Intelligence/Work Ethic) and then there are apparently "hidden" personality traits that are only viewable in the player editor (which only the Os have access to) which include stuff like "team captain, prankster, cancer, clutch, TALISMAN (I made this one up), etc). A lot of times you can deduce these "hidden" traits through deduction by looking at personality ratings, personality description (on the player page) and clubhouse reports.

Some intangibles have team chemistry implications, some have financial implications, some have development implications, many of them overlap.

Here I show how I view them in order of importance in each category. All 6 tie to clubhouse dynamics to some extent. 3 of them tie to development and 3 of them tie to contract/financial negotations.

Clubhouse Implications: (all 6 effect this to some extent but some of them are situation dependent:
Leadership, Work ethic, Intelligence, Winner (makes morale even more tied to record), Loyalty (High loyalty players might get sad if they are in the last year of a contract and you haven't extended them), Greed (if player is high greed and you aren't paying him enough he'll be mad about it)

Development:
Work Ethic, Intelligence, Leadership

Financial Implications:
Greed, Loyalty, Winner

Here is the blurb from the OOTP manual that describes everything:
Players in OOTP have six different personality ratings that come into play in various ways. Personality ratings use the same scale as other player ratings. In general, higher personality ratings are better. The one exception is Greed, in which a lower score is better (for the GM).Personality ratings aren't exact. On the Player Profile, you can get some clues as to the player's personality:

There is no default view with personality ratings, but you could easily create a custom view with these ratings. When viewing personality traits in a view, traits are rated in a five-level scale: very low, low, average, high, very high.

The six personality ratings are as follows:

[xtable=skin1|border:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Rating{/td}
{td}Description{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Leadership{/td}
{td}A player's ability to lead. Players with high leadership have some positive effect on other players in the clubhouse, potentially affecting both their performance and their development.{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Loyalty{/td}
{td}How loyal a player is to his current team. Players with high loyalty may be more likely to sign extensions.{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Desire for Winning Team{/td}
{td}How important it is for a player to be on a winning team. Players who need winning teams factor this into their decisions about where to sign contracts or extensions. Player morale can suffer greatly if this rating is high and the team is performing poorly.{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Greed{/td}
{td}How greedy the player is. Greed is a strong factor in contract negotiations, and can have a negative impact on morale if the player feels he is underpaid.{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Intelligence{/td}
{td}How intelligent the player is. Intelligent players have a positive effect on other players in the clubhouse, and can influence in-game decisions and player development. Unintelligent players are also more prone to drug suspensions.{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Work Ethic{/td}
{td}How strong the player's work ethic is. Players with a strong work ethic can have a positive effect on other players in the clubhouse, and can influence player development. They are also somewhat less prone to slumps. Players with poor work ethic are also more prone to drug suspensions.{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

I only really care about leadership/work ethic/intelligence when evaluating draft/IFA prospects. I mostly only look at the other stuff in a free agent context (especially desire for winner if my team was bad).

So how much does this shit matter? On an individual level I don't think it matters all that much. You can cope with assholes by offsetting them with good guys. As long as you have a happy clubhouse, you should be outperforming expectations. So what you have to watch out for is that tipping point between a happy clubhouse and a disgruntled clubhouse. You can take the best team in the league on paper and they'll have a losing season if they are having clubhouse issues. You can take a loathsome team to the playoffs if they have a happy clubhouse.

ANECDOTE TIME:
In 2050 I had a truly loathsome team and I somehow made the playoffs because everyone was so FUCKING HAPPY and my "clubhouse leader" was identified as Douglass Tagg. I laughed about this because he was my worst player by far, what a pain!

In 2051 I made one single change that I thought would take my team from loathsome and lucky and turn them into a legit playoff contender. I took the Loathsome Douglass and demoted him to AAA and brought in the best 3B in the game at the time, Rafael Juarez to take his place. On paper this was literally a +5 WAR improvement year over year and I was sure I'd make the playoffs. Instead, despite Juarez's great personal performance winning 5.1 WARS, the team had their worst performance under Mr. Manager. I had taken a team leader off the team and replaced him with a complete asshole and my clubhouse dynamics fell apart and everyone was pissed as fuck.

After that, Douglass has always been on my WBL roster (and I also added other guys with great intangibles as well) and my team always seems to be HAPPY AS FUCK, even when they go on the occasional long losing streak that might snap a lesser clubhouse and send them into a death spiral. Zero Losing seasons with Douglass Tagg on the WBL roster.

Watch the WBL for long enough and you'll start to see a pattern of which teams underperform compared to their on-paper ratings and which teams over-perform. The difference is often a happy clubhouse.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Where can I read about the BTT and ERA+ rating metrics again, @Travis7401 ?

edit: nevermind, I found it. Looks like Buffalo will be bad forever, because I am way too impatient and lazy to figure out the BTT method and how to work excel.

I made a vidya showing how to use the btt calculator. As long as you set your player positions correctly it is just a matter of copy/ paste into the calculator.

If you want provide assistant gm services for a 3rd round pick...

Soonerfan09

Lesson 6 or whateva is all about managing ur entire organization for cultivating future WBL talent. First I talk about the organizational depth chart in OOTP and then I discuss how I set up my own organizational depth chart.

*one thing I forgot to mention is that you can create "Shortlists" for your players and it makes it real easy to keep track of them that way, even if they leave ur system.

Just got around to watching the video. I like the way your spreadsheets look, very nice and organized. I would like to do something like that, but right now I too lazy. I might do it after school starts though. Instead, since I don't have much going on, I've spent a lot of time getting to know my team. I check the box score of every game my MLB plays for that sim, and check every player in AAA AA A players card and check their last 5 games and season stats and sometimes ratings if they are doing above or below average.

A question I have from the Lesson 5:
Do the field ratings improve or just the position ratings?

Thanks for all the videos and thanks for telling me when you were going to post them after you posted them.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
fielding ratings can improve, but they usually don't move all THAT much. Position ratings will go from nothing to 65+ if the player has the right fielding ratings and gets the experience they need.

Soonerfan09

Moscow Mules 2061 Opening Day Roster

Moscow finished the 2060 season going 84-78, missing the playoffs by one game. The Mules weren't expected to take the competition for the 4th and final playoff spot down to the wire and according to the BNN, they aren't expected to this season either. Moscow is predicted to go 78-84 tying Lisbon for 5th in the league of champions.

Pitchers

SP
P Stefano 'Two Shoes' Pierleoni
- Pierleoni came to Moscow last offseason by way of Seoul. He went 16-9 last season, starting a league high 34 games posting a 2.88 ERA and racking up 149Ks. He finished the season with 4.5 WARs won. Stefano is far and away the ace of the staff and could be the first 20 game winner for Moscow since Boys Kiene in 2052.

P Máximo Gabriel
- Gabriel was traded from Istanbul at the end of last May and proceeded to start 22 games for Moscow, going 11-5 with a 2.48 ERA, 125Ks, and 3.1 WARs won. Gabriel will need to put up similar numbers to last season if Moscow wants to continue improving their record under corch Sooner Fan.

P Alonso 'Truck Stop' García
- Garcia was signed this offseason as an upgrade over locker room favorite Bo Liu. Liu went 5-16 last season, but still managed an ERA under 4 (3.91) and posted a positive WAR (1.7). Garcia is expected to improve on Liu's win total from 2060.

P Manuel Díaz
- Moscow traded for Diaz at the end of the 2059 season. Diaz started 33 games for the Mules in 2060, exceeding all expectations by going 16-7 with a 3.57 ERA, and 1.4 WARs won. If Diaz can repeat that performance, Moscow will have a great chance of making the playoffs.

P Guo-quiang Chen
- Moscow acquired Chen from the Ottomans in July of 2059. In the 2060 season, Chen went 12-11, starting 31 games with a 4.21 ERA and 0.8 WARs won. Chen gave up 37 HRs last season, a number that must go down if Chen plans to maintain his spot in the rotation.

RP
P Lando Andreassan
- Andreassan was signed as an IFA by Moscow in 2049 and has been with Moscow since. Although he spent the entire season on Moscow's active roster in 2060, he only appeared in 9 games, throwing 9.2 innings (I have no idea why he was rarely put in the game). Lando should expect to see an increased workload this season.

P David Pickett
- Pickett was traded to Moscow from Kabul in 2055. In 2060, working as a MR, Pickett went 0-2 in 46.1 innings, 4.27 ERA and 0.5 WARs won. Pickett will need to show a lot of improvement if he wants to stay in Moscow for the 2062 season.

P Amato Rivera
P Eulogio Xavier
- Rivera and Xavier are both new FA signings that should add talent and experience to the middle of the Moscow bullpen. Xavier in particular should expect a heavy workload this season.

P Joe Crowley
P Xavier 'The Sheriff' Miranda
- Crowley was signed as a FA last offseason and served as a setup man for the Mules. He went 1-5 in 59 innings with a 3.36 ERA. Miranda was claimed off waivers (Halifax) in October of 2059. For the 2060 season, The Sheriff led the Mules bullpen with an 11-6 record (4 saves) in 101.2 IP, 1.95 ERA, 1.9 WARs won. Miranda is the indisputable leader of the bullpen and along with Crowley, will be leaned on heavily.

P Nail Kavur
- Kavur was drafted by the Mules in the 2nd round of the 2054 draft. 2060 was Kavur's first season in the big leagues and he went 5-7 with 44 saves, a 3.09 ERA and 0.9 WARs won. Kavur blew 7 save opportunities last season, a number that needs to go down if Kavur wants to be considered an elite closer.

Summary - It's no secret that Moscow's league leading Defensive Efficiency had a huge impact on Mule pitching last season and will this season as well. Moscow pitching will need to keep the ball in the park and avoid walks to be successful. The starters did a great job of making quality starts and throwing deep into the game last season, something we would like to see continue for the 2060 season. The bullpen needs to be more consistent, but we will welcome a performance similar to last season.

Fielders
IF
C Francisco Medina
C Esteban Paz
1B Dennis 'Dino' Sparks
3B Alejandro Romero
SS Juan Villanueva
SS Júlio 'Matador' Montoya
3B Luis Romero
SS Leonardo Rodríguez

OF
LF Dennis Arkell
CF Amelio Oliva
RF Ha Alisjahbana
CF Juan Patino
CF Johan Knegt

I will finish the rest after the OU game....probably in a few days.

Soonerfan09

YA WOO MULES BASEBALL!

Great to see Corch Fan's first ever draft pick, Trevor Mintey, pick up a game 7 World Series win in what will probably be his last WBL appearance. It was also nice to see potential HOF'er Jesus Varela win another shamship before riding off into the sunset. This was probably the most talented team I've ever had, in all phases of the game. Quite a few veterans on the squad though, so it will be interesting to see where we go from here. Definitely losing an impact player already, but we will have the budget to continue this model, but we also have a few up and coming pieces if I want to take a different approach. Should be a fun offseason.