• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Defensive Discussion

Atmore

Got to mix things up. I almost never blitz as it doesn't get there fast enough. Drop 7 or 8 and try to shut down the middle of the field. My favorite defense is 4-2-5 Over. I always recruit a lot of fast FS/SS types.
I do the opposite and blitz ALOT then mix in different looks of cover 2 and 3. I think it's 425 Over Cover 3 Cloud changes the assignments of the secondary and I have got many coverages sacks or INTs off it. My biggest problem is someone who rolls out or scrambles alot

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I will also call a blitz and then hot route the blitzers to doublr team or drop back into various zones. The guys I play are going to ID and kill most straight zone or man defenses.

Atmore

I will also call a blitz and then hot route the blitzers to doublr team or drop back into various zones. The guys I play are going to ID and kill most straight zone or man defenses.
I start the game vanilla and just change things as I go along. I blitz on early downs and then play coverage.... If I can get them in 3rd and 8 or more that's how I get coverage sacks.... I get lit up at times because you can't stop everything but long drives, turnovers and at least 4 sacks a game is my goal

Atmore

I see a couple of you gues saying you go all coverage for your DBs but I took a look at default rosters and most of the best players in the game are Hard Hitters. I may be wrong but I think EA has put extra emphasis on them to be better (Higher Ratings Overall Ratings) like Scrambling Qbs or Power Backs.... Or is it just me

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I see a couple of you gues saying you go all coverage for your DBs but I took a look at default rosters and most of the best players in the game are Hard Hitters. I may be wrong but I think EA has put extra emphasis on them to be better (Higher Ratings Overall Ratings) like Scrambling Qbs or Power Backs.... Or is it just me

I think is more of the tackling stay threshold triggering the "hard hitter" style of play. From what I've seen, those guys cover just as well.

Atmore

I think is more of the tackling stay threshold triggering the "hard hitter" style of play. From what I've seen, those guys cover just as well.
Never thought about that lol. I do know the CB from ORE(can't remember his name but it's long)is the best I EVER seen rather it's CPU or user games. I try my best to just stay away from him and base CBs I recruit off of his ratings

Atmore

Got to mix things up. I almost never blitz as it doesn't get there fast enough. Drop 7 or 8 and try to shut down the middle of the field. My favorite defense is 4-2-5 Over. I always recruit a lot of fast FS/SS types.
Being that I'm not a defensive guy at all and new to this 425 what makes you like Over better than Under? I still trying to figure alot out like how to defend the run when they come out in trips formations. It seems like it just completely opens up the middle of the field and I have to try and hurry and press man align so no one shifts

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Being that I'm not a defensive guy at all and new to this 425 what makes you like Over better than Under? I still trying to figure alot out like how to defend the run when they come out in trips formations. It seems like it just completely opens up the middle of the field and I have to try and hurry and press man align so no one shifts

Spend some time researching d-line techniques. That's really what separates the various fronts. It changes who is responsible for what gap.

The whole reason people use trips is to attack two high (middle of the field open/MOFO) defenses. The best way to counter is to drop a safety into run support on the trips side.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator

That is why I am 90% zone if I'm in a 4-2-5 (with maybe a guy or 2 hot routed to play man). I don't waste time with the man align function because it doesn't work right IMO. I will play an under front with 4-2-5 if I do want to play some man as they line up closer to the WRs.

Unless I'm playing @TXHusker05 I pretty much focus all my energies to stopping the pass. If I'm fortunate enough to get to a 2nd or 3rd and long I will usually go to a 3-3-5 nickle or dime 2-3-6.

I have a custom multiple defensive book that I use (that includes lots of different fronts), but my prefered alignments are 4-2-5 Over and Under. I usually base in Cover 3 zone. I used to alternate between Cover 3 zone and Cover 1, but I found that I got eaten alive by Corner routes when I was in Cover 1, so now I use it sparingly.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Set option to aggressive and clobber up the middle for the give to the FB. It would be great if you could counter with HB toss or speed sweeps, but they are never blocked right.

Atmore

I played a guy last night and he came out in I-Form 2te 2 RB. I came out in 425 Normal but he would hurry up to the line and snap. My players would all be out of position every time spread outside of the TEs. I figured out to man align to get them back inside.... I never had that happen before

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I played a guy last night and he came out in I-Form 2te 2 RB. I came out in 425 Normal but he would hurry up to the line and snap. My players would all be out of position every time spread outside of the TEs. I figured out to man align to get them back inside.... I never had that happen before

4-2-5 is useless against compressed heavy formations. The alignment issues will kill you. You'll have safeties and corners a mile away from the ball. I used to eat people alive running my Osborne offense with 2 TE and 2 Back or 2 TE and 3 Back (Maryland I) when they were in 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. I could run Iso, Inside Zone and Stretch all game long.

I don't see much heavy/compressed stuff in ODs these days but any time I do, I immediately go 4-4 or 4-3 Under. It isn't perfect, but at least players line up right. If you base in 4-2-5, I would highly recommend having 4-4 in your defensive playbook and making it an audible. That way if you're encountering alignment issues, you can quickly audible to 4-4 (with 4-2-5 personnel on the field) and the alignment issues will be fixed.

JAR201166

335 bear vs spread it to run it/quick pass teams has been working for me lately. Baiscly if you have a monster in the middle like @JSU Zack s picture you can force them to go east/west an its easier to stop runs that way.

fanoftgame

4-2-5 is useless against compressed heavy formations. The alignment issues will kill you. You'll have safeties and corners a mile away from the ball. I used to eat people alive running my Osborne offense with 2 TE and 2 Back or 2 TE and 3 Back (Maryland I) when they were in 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. I could run Iso, Inside Zone and Stretch all game long.

I don't see much heavy/compressed stuff in ODs these days but any time I do, I immediately go 4-4 or 4-3 Under. It isn't perfect, but at least players line up right. If you base in 4-2-5, I would highly recommend having 4-4 in your defensive playbook and making it an audible. That way if you're encountering alignment issues, you can quickly audible to 4-4 (with 4-2-5 personnel on the field) and the alignment issues will be fixed.

Have you ever thought about using nickle normal formation with the big formation sub to get another safety on the field. Essentially 425 personal with "less" alignment issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

tskillet

Does anyone have tips on stopping the corner route from the outer receiver in SG tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanoftgame

Does anyone have tips on stopping the corner route from the outer receiver in SG tight?

Anytime I see a compressed formation I manually user the flat/force player and take away the corner route .

Also can play cover 3 to strong side of formation on and put the seam curl player to a purple.

Also rush 3play cover 4 with purples

Hope this gives u some ideas

tskillet

Definitely, thank you. The flat/force player - is that the side of the field closer to or farther from the sideline? I tried googling and had no luck.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Definitely, thank you. The flat/force player - is that the side of the field closer to or farther from the sideline? I tried googling and had no luck.

Both flat players in Cover 3 are force defenders, their job is to contain runs and not let the runner get outside. It doesn't matter whether it's the flat defender to the boundary or the field. Those Cover 3 variants you see (Cloud, Sky, and Buzz) simply identify who the force player is (Cloud=corner, Sky=safety, and Buzz=backer). So you can pick whichever player you want to user (say you prefer playing with a safety) and use Cover 3 Sky to play the flat with the safety.

fanoftgame

NP we need more defensive discussions here anyways

Craig7835

I'm STILL having a hard time running against 3-4,whether it's an inside run or outside run.I can never get any good yardage. Any suggestions?

fanoftgame

I'm STILL having a hard time running against 3-4,whether it's an inside run or outside run.I can never get any good yardage. Any suggestions?

That's kind of a vague question. What offense are you running. What jind of personell do you have?

You might find better answers in the dedicated threads based on your offense as well.

Hope this helps

fanoftgame

What are ur guys thoughts on subbing in secoundary guys in on medium passing downs eg. 2nd 7 3-5 ect vs keeping in your linebackers if there zone ratings are not to different.

Is the added speed worth loosing the block shedding (especially since they will be blocked by wrs) and tackling of libebackers?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
What are ur guys thoughts on subbing in secoundary guys in on medium passing downs eg. 2nd 7 3-5 ect vs keeping in your linebackers if there zone ratings are not to different.

Is the added speed worth loosing the block shedding (especially since they will be blocked by wrs) and tackling of libebackers?

I routinely formation sub for 2 formations:

dime 3-2-6 and nickel 3-3-5. If I have safeties with good blk shedding (in the 70s) I will put them into the LB spots (unless I have a really fast LB with good coverage). Does it help? Not sure, but I would like to think they can cover better than LBs. I won't put CBs at the LB spots because IMO that's a bit cheesy.

fanoftgame

I routinely formation sub for 2 formations:

dime 3-2-6 and nickel 3-3-5. If I have safeties with good blk shedding (in the 70s) I will put them into the LB spots (unless I have a really fast LB with good coverage). Does it help? Not sure, but I would like to think they can cover better than LBs. I won't put CBs at the LB spots because IMO that's a bit cheesy.

Thanks. The thing I don't understand is does zone cvr rating make up for lack of speed because the know how to cover their zone better?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Thanks. The thing I don't understand is does zone cvr rating make up for lack of speed because the know how to cover their zone better?

Your guess is as good as mine. I play a lot of zone and it appears that the higher the zone cvg the better they cover their area (especially when combined with high awareness).

fanoftgame

I'm trying to do the impossible and get some use out of stud Dlineman most notably the DT.

1. Using over and under forms to put on wide side to at poa on field side runs.

2. Using athletic dt in zones to spy and influence drags.

One I'm thinking of is you the line twist that don't work as a way to change who the de and dt matchup with on passing situations.

Ur thoughts

bluejay13

@bluejay13 has gotten some success out out his line, which I would really like to know the secret to

I'm at work now but I run a read and react scheme that my old high school runs. The key to playing on the D-Line is to focus on where the guards are going and not get distracted by looking at all the fancy stuff in the backfield pre-snap.

If the offensive lineman stands straight up for pass protection you wait a split second to determine if it's a screen, if not then proceed to attack the QB in the pre-assigned gap(it shows up as a directional arrow if you reveal the play pre-snap).

Now taking in run blocks is a little different because the of the various types:

Reach block: the lineman wants to hook you inside (toss)

Base block: the lineman takes a step to put his ass where the point of attack is (playside guard and center on Iso)

Pull block: lineman takes a step backwards to gain momentum and "kick a man" out of the play (power)

Double & chip blocks: 2 lineman double team a defensive play down and the outside blocker eventually releases to base block in the 2nd level (playside TE & tackle on a power if there's an odd front because the pulling guard will "kick out" the end man on the line of scrimmage)

Anyway back to work, I can post more later!
The key is reading the offensive line for either run or pass first and not looking in the backfield pre-snap

bluejay13

I'd be really interested more on this discussion. Especially on defending pulling schemes, specifically counters

Still at work but run a guy into the pulling guard or tackle as soon as possible to create a huge fucking mess in the backfield! Sometimes the defensive line doesn't get stats for creating piles but the linebackers will clean it all up since they will be running free

bluejay13

Also I forgot to add down blocks to the list stated early. I will later, back to work I go

bluejay13

Now I am just gonna start adding random notes:

Down block: lineman takes defender on with an angle advantage to create a hole (playside of power)

To combat power you can play an odd front with the nose tackle being head up on the center and bullrush him back into pulling guards/tackles or you can be the end man on the line scrimmage but don't go for the tackle, slide down and take on the guard.

In a base Cover-2 Man if you look at your defensive assignments pre-snap you will see how the linebackers are "manned" up to each back. If you notice, the lines showing the man assignment go through each gap said player is responsible for

fanoftgame

How are you guys defending vertical shake out of 5wide?

3x2
The inside slots are high rated route runners.

Inside guy on 2man side runs shake route. Everyone else verts

bluejay13

How are you guys defending vertical shake out of 5wide?

3x2
The inside slots are high rated route runners.

Inside guy on 2man side runs shake route. Everyone else verts

Cover 4 or Cover 1 Robber

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, those will work. Or you can play 2 Man Under if you run a 3 down front and hot route the blitzing LB to a robber zone. Either way, you have to take away the shake route manually. You can do that in any coverage but Cover 2 or 3 won't cover all the verticals.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
@bluejay13 when attacking the gap on pass plays, do you literally just run straight into the gap or do you try the pass rush moves (or whatever they're called)?

bluejay13

@bluejay13 when attacking the gap on pass plays, do you literally just run straight into the gap or do you try the pass rush moves (or whatever they're called)?

I like to bullrush and then shed the block to which ever way the gap is(left/right) although a good defensive lineman can bullrush the offensive lineman straight into the QB. For finesse moves I use it as soon as I read pass pro and collapse down to where the gap was otherwise you will just run into another offensive lineman protecting a different gap. Hopefully that makes sense? Just mix and match what types of moves suit your players more.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I like to bullrush and then shed the block to which ever way the gap is(left/right) although a good defensive lineman can bullrush the offensive lineman straight into the QB. For finesse moves I use it as soon as I read pass pro and collapse down to where the gap was otherwise you will just run into another offensive lineman protecting a different gap. Hopefully that makes sense? Just mix and match what types of moves suit your players more.

Somewhat, it'll be easier to see in action. We need to play again this summer. I'm putting together an Urban Meyer offense that I think will be a better offense to run against you and get a sense of what you're doing. Running Air Raid didn't help me see you combat pulling guards or double blocks since...there aren't any haha.

fanoftgame

Cover 4 or Cover 1 Robber

How do you guard the shack route across the field with only one middle hook defender. Even if you rush three the shack goes across the field and you get a high low with the middle post. My safeties in cvr 4 don't seem to activate until the player is 15-20 yards down field.

In cover 1 I'm kinda worried about the.auto curl/out route to outside reciever

fanoftgame

I Don't know if anyone has seen MPFSU's videos but they are really good. Its a shame he know longer posts.

Youtube.com/user/MPFSU

I really liked his defensive coverage breakdowns.

I messaged him on another forum and he said he basically stays in the same shell of whatever his base coverage is and makes adjustments to how his opponent is attacking the coverage.

Here is link to the thread I asked him a question in.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?7554-FSU-s-Cover-2-Base-Defense-series

What I don't understand is what happens if they attack you vunerability in the coverage and and your adjustments at the same time? EX: cover 2 defense with a post route and an angle route from the rb and the rest verts.

Also where can I find information on different variations of each coverage so U know how to take away what my opponent is doing within my base defensive structure?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
How do you guard the shack route across the field with only one middle hook defender. Even if you rush three the shack goes across the field and you get a high low with the middle post. My safeties in cvr 4 don't seem to activate until the player is 15-20 yards down field.

In cover 1 I'm kinda worried about the.auto curl/out route to outside reciever

That 3 down 2 Man Under variant would fix both of those problems I think.

In Cover 4, you can try adjusting your safeties.

fanoftgame

Thinking about basing out of cover 6.

Been really getting into defense alot lately and been doing really well with cover 2.

I like having a man for all medium and underneath routes.

I tried cover 3 and been killing myself trying to find the answer to the quick game/ when the rb gets involved in the passing game.

I would like to get the flat defenders to play more of a true curl/flat so I don't have to worry about seams and can free up inside backer for the rb.

Then get to the flats if there is a threat. From what I see they just at best collision the seam then go to the flat late. I don't mind going to the flat late but they don't play curl zone if there is no flat threat.

I also ran into a sitiation where I felt my user defense wasn't adding that much more to the hook defenders pattern reading.

I always hated the fact that the deep defenders do almost nothing. I figure I can get the best of both worlds with me usering someone who would ensemtially do nothing and be a run defender during run plays and a the 5 pass defender in passing defense.

Anyone else base out of cvr6 or been able to handle intermediate passing in cover 3

bluejay13

Thinking about basing out of cover 6.

Been really getting into defense alot lately and been doing really well with cover 2.

I like having a man for all medium and underneath routes.

I tried cover 3 and been killing myself trying to find the answer to the quick game/ when the rb gets involved in the passing game.

I would like to get the flat defenders to play more of a true curl/flat so I don't have to worry about seams and can free up inside backer for the rb.

Then get to the flats if there is a threat. From what I see they just at best collision the seam then go to the flat late. I don't mind going to the flat late but they don't play curl zone if there is no flat threat.

I also ran into a sitiation where I felt my user defense wasn't adding that much more to the hook defenders pattern reading.

I always hated the fact that the deep defenders do almost nothing. I figure I can get the best of both worlds with me usering someone who would ensemtially do nothing and be a run defender during run plays and a the 5 pass defender in passing defense.

Anyone else base out of cvr6 or been able to handle intermediate passing in cover 3

For cover 6, I like to set the off-corner on the single receiver side. It gives the look of man coverage so hopefully the person you are playing hot routes a curl to that single receiver. The underneath linebacker on that side will jump the route every time. I don't use Cover 6 as a base defense but it's my go to play to set up a "interception" trap later in the game. I will use it after I let the opposing player complete a couple hot route curls on me so he thinks it's "money" every time.

Hope that helps somewhat on how I use Cover 6!

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
With Cover 6, if I get trips I like to man the solo receiver so I can concentrate on the trips side. That's really the only adjustment I make.

fanoftgame

With Cover 6, if I get trips I like to man the solo receiver so I can concentrate on the trips side. That's really the only adjustment I make.

I'm a little worried about 2 things

Option defense and the post from the weakside

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Well, you can take the option away yourself by playing the middle or weakside LB. The post can be a problem, yeah, but how many people do you see throw posts? I don't see it very often.