• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Defensive Discussion

LEGEND

I tried a bit from 425 and had success but the most pressure came from nickel normal blitzes! I used 425 normal and 4-3 over-plus to change up! I have 1 blitz from 335 nickel and 3-4 odd I think it is... It's the 3-4 formation that looks like the 4-3.
What defense did you run the heavy blitz with? I see most people play 34 or 334 to either blitz or Mac cover any down. Very rarely seen a blitz heavy 4 man front defense. I try with my 425 but sometimes it's just a half a second to late and they get the ball off

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I tried a bit from 425 and had success but the most pressure came from nickel normal blitzes! I used 425 normal and 4-3 over-plus to change up! I have 1 blitz from 335 nickel and 3-4 odd I think it is... It's the 3-4 formation that looks like the 4-3.

I only ever run 2 blitzes, double A gap blitz out of either Nickel Normal or 425 Normal (I have both set up as the only blitzes in the formation so I can quick audible to them) and a SS blitz out of 425 Over. I typically hot route the blitzing LB to a spy when I do that though.

I rarely blitz, maybe a few times a game, but it is usually well timed. I can't imagine being blitz heavy against users, that's just asking for someone to roast you with slants and/or verts. Our leagues are way too pass heavy to be blitz heavy. That said, if someone lines up in 2x2 10 personnel spread or empty, blitz the ever loving shit out of that. Those two looks are auto blitzes for me.

LEGEND

I only ever run 2 blitzes, double A gap blitz out of either Nickel Normal or 425 Normal (I have both set up as the only blitzes in the formation so I can quick audible to them) and a SS blitz out of 425 Over. I typically hot route the blitzing LB to a spy when I do that though.

I rarely blitz, maybe a few times a game, but it is usually well timed. I can't imagine being blitz heavy against users, that's just asking for someone to roast you with slants and/or verts. Our leagues are way too pass heavy to be blitz heavy. That said, if someone lines up in 2x2 10 personnel spread or empty, blitz the ever loving shit out of that. Those two looks are auto blitzes for me.
I've mixed in the man A gap blitzes with zone blitzes and man and zone coverage. It's worked better than I ever anticipated!

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I only blitz if I'm getting gashed by the run. Or my opponent is in the red zone and I'm just grasping at straws to try and get a stop.

I'm basically hoping to create a 2nd-12 and then I play coverage. If I get stuck with a run blitz, and it's a pass, I'm usually looking at giving up a big play.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I only blitz if I'm getting gashed by the run. Or my opponent is in the red zone and I'm just grasping at straws to try and get a stop.

I'm basically hoping to create a 2nd-12 and then I play coverage. If I get stuck with a run blitz, and it's a pass, I'm usually looking at giving up a big play.

I'm the reverse, I rarely blitz vs the run and only blitz when I'm trying to make a sack. I like bringing blitzes vs people who go no huddle vs me, especially after a completed pass to set up like a 2nd & 2-6. A lot of people get out of control going tempo and i can time up a blitz off of tempo and get them in a 3rd & Long.

Blitzing for pass rush in this game is all about feel. Against people who huddle most of the time, I rarely blitz because it is too hard to disguise it.

jonsapp7487

Husker I am I long time lurker. I would like to get a game in with you and pick the mind of the hurry up guru. My gt is Noles Run Wild

LEGEND

For the most part... I'm enjoying the blitz heavy scheme. It's making opponents have to make quicker reads and cutting down on guys taking off with the QB. Was starting to grow tired of playing guys who called pass plays with running with QB being their only intentions.

The dropped picks are definitely more frustrating now though! Dropped 5 in a user game yesterday... Although I did catch 3 others. Learning how to disguise it more each game... I'm also mixing it with zone blitzes and catching opponents off guard.

It works for me... The pressure off normal looks catches most by surprise.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
For the most part... I'm enjoying the blitz heavy scheme. It's making opponents have to make quicker reads and cutting down on guys taking off with the QB. Was starting to grow tired of playing guys who called pass plays with running with QB being their only intentions.

The dropped picks are definitely more frustrating now though! Dropped 5 in a user game yesterday... Although I did catch 3 others. Learning how to disguise it more each game... I'm also mixing it with zone blitzes and catching opponents off guard.

It works for me... The pressure off normal looks catches most by surprise.

Base align base align base align.

Also, look into rolling coverages (safety comes down & opposite side of the secondary shifts to deep zones.

LEGEND

Base align base align base align.

Also, look into rolling coverages (safety comes down & opposite side of the secondary shifts to deep zones.
Yeah did this a bit yesterday... Learning which to call and which not to call! Also.. Which and when they work best!

LEGEND

How do you base align again?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk 2
You press y and then A I think it is? Hahaha it's hard to think of without controller in my hand!

It might be y and then right on D pad my bad! I honestly can't remember right now!

jonsapp7487

Does Anybody know how to stop or slow down the play pa cross out of Shotgun tight. The play destroys man and zone. I personally think it could be the best route combination in the game with the poco, a crosser , a angled corner then that stutter and go over the middle. We have a guy that runs this play and hb wheel out of split close and hb wheel out of tight all game. Just when you think you have it covered he will roll out and throw the wheel backside. the Throwbacks are real gentlemen the half roll just makes the zones bight down.

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
Does Anybody know how to stop or slow down the play pa cross out of Shotgun tight. The play destroys man and zone. I personally think it could be the best route combination in the game with the poco, a crosser , a angled corner then that stutter and go over the middle. We have a guy that runs this play and hb wheel out of split close and hb wheel out of tight all game. Just when you think you have it covered he will roll out and throw the wheel backside. the Throwbacks are real gentlemen the half roll just makes the zones bight down.
i use that play allot, blitz 6 and you will get the sack before the PA animation is over

LEGEND

This was my need a score quick formation... Never had a blitz stop me! You can cancel the PA or block the RB and it still works well.

fanoftgame

Off top of my head.

First my gameplan settings on contain qb is always conservative(helps defenders stay in zone longer).

Secound, I found when defending the compressed formations usering a flat or curl/flat player on the edge of the defense is best. Main reason is outside breaking routes are the big plays from theses formations. By playing the flat defender you can take a away the corner(big play) then rally to crossers and drags.

User the defender on the open side of the field.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Almost ready to just blitz all game an pray for turnovers defense is ridiculous in this game

I run a few Cover 0 blitzes from game to game, but I wouldn't make it a core concept. The better players (and the CPU) will get the ball out quickly and you are going to be toast. My recommendation is mix things up (don't rely on man or zone) and you have to get away from using the DL. If you think it is a pass use the MLB or Safety and cover the middle of the field. Even if you have no clue on how to user pick the opponent doesn't know "you don't know how to do it". Also if you don't know it is something you can eventually learn to do.

LEGEND

Switched to 3-4 defense... Finally found a defense I seem to understand! Now I just have to research and see what player types work best!

I know that the nose is not the force position it should be. You can have a beast at nose and they never command the double team like they should!

Atmore

For anybody playing 425 how do you play run defense with 4 WR? I play on aggressive but been thinking conservative to force runs outside.

fanoftgame

For anybody playing 425 how do you play run defense with 4 WR? I play on aggressive but been thinking conservative to force runs outside.

manually move boundary slot defender closer to box to keep numbers advantage in box

fanoftgame

So do you play aggressive or conservative? Option

Aggressive.

I used to do conservative but now I only use it when people start using those op qb counters/wrap plays :emo:

To mathematically be sound against any option type play you need to be plus 2 in the box vs the run. Normally against prostyle you need be plus(single high safety). But, with the read game you need another defender for the qb. That where slot formations help you. You cheat off them from single high look and now your plus 2.

One thing that that always stuck with me about defending zone read was from smartfootall.com is, that the zone read is really just a zone run with a better ability to hold backside pursuit.

So basically I focus on stopping the run (iz or oz) at point of attack. I do that by putting a defender in the gap the run is suppose to hit. In theory this should force the ball carrier to bubble(bounce) and allow time for pursuit.

Ex: iz hits opposite A gap(go by play art on the field).
ncaa-football-14-option-2.jpg

So if your in 3-4 solid cvr 3 sky defense The A and b gaps would be defended. The rb get the ball and has to bend it back to find and opening which gives you mor time to pursue with your superior numbers.

The picture above doesn't have the defense I described but just immage the lb over the center is on the los. Now the zone read in ncaa 14 gives the rb alot of space to so you have to anticipate it. You know by alignment you taken care of the A and B gaps so you he has to bend it back to the c gap. You could take the defender over the slot reciever and move him into the box anticpating the cutback to the c gap. Sorry for the poor example I just did a quick google search.

Again zr is hard to defend in this game but these are some of my strategies.

Last edited:

Atmore

Aggressive.

I used to do conservative but now I only use it when people start using those op qb counters/wrap plays :emo:

To mathematically be sound against any option type play you need to be plus 2 in the box vs the run. Normally against prostyle you need be plus(single high safety). But, with the read game you need another defender for the qb. That where slot formations help you. You cheat off them from single high look and now your plus 2.

One thing that that always stuck with me about defending zone read was from smartfootall.com is, that the zone read is really just a zone run with a better ability to hold backside pursuit.

So basically I focus on stopping the run (iz or oz) at point of attack. I do that by putting a defender in the gap the run is suppose to hit. In theory this should force the ball carrier to bubble(bounce) and allow time for pursuit.

Ex: iz hits opposite A gap(go by play art on the field).
ncaa-football-14-option-2.jpg

So if your in 3-4 solid cvr 3 sky defense The A and b gaps would be defended. The rb get the ball and has to bend it back to find and opening which gives you mor time to pursue with your superior numbers.

The picture above doesn't have the defense I described but just immage the lb over the center is on the los. Now the zone read in ncaa 14 gives the rb alot of space to so you have to anticipate it. You know by alignment you taken care of the A and B gaps so you he has to bend it back to the c gap. You could take the defender over the slot reciever and move him into the box anticpating the cutback to the c gap. Sorry for the poor example I just did a quick google search.

Again zr is hard to defend in this game but these are some of my strategies.
Maaaaan I want to thank you this has helped my defense so much. I run 425 and sometimes end up in funny alignments with DL one way, LBs and SSs another. I fill in leftover gaps with backside player or FS. I've seen it so many tines were they run into an interior blocker and gives more time to make the tackle. Thank you man

fanoftgame

Maaaaan I want to thank you this has helped my defense so much. I run 425 and sometimes end up in funny alignments with DL one way, LBs and SSs another. I fill in leftover gaps with backside player or FS. I've seen it so many tines were they run into an interior blocker and gives more time to make the tackle. Thank you man

Glad I could help

fanoftgame

Also don't forget to pay attention the the alignment of the backs to tip you off to the type of runs you may face. Ex: if the back is parallel to the qb expect: iz zone read, regular oz. If he is slightly behind the qb or in pistol the oz is pretty much eliminated so make sure your front is prepared to handled inside runs.

Atmore

Also don't forget to pay attention the the alignment of the backs to tip you off to the type of runs you may face. Ex: if the back is parallel to the qb expect: iz zone read, regular oz. If he is slightly behind the qb or in pistol the oz is pretty much eliminated so make sure your front is prepared to handled inside runs.
Yeah I figured that part out but getting people set can be a task if they are doing no huddle. For outside zone RB alignment I try to keep a DE outside the playside tackle and scrape way outside with FS to force a cut back inside to LBs. I also have DL rush playside to also force a longer path to the outside. Pistol blocking is tricky to me though because the run can go anywhere inside and I don't always take the correct angle towards the runner.

fanoftgame

Yeah I figured that part out but getting people set can be a task if they are doing no huddle. For outside zone RB alignment I try to keep a DE outside the playside tackle and scrape way outside with FS to force a cut back inside to LBs. I also have DL rush playside to also force a longer path to the outside. Pistol blocking is tricky to me though because the run can go anywhere inside and I don't always take the correct angle towards the runner.

Smart keeping DE outside the playside tackle(assuming there is no TE). That's exactly what you want to do.

Pistol can be tough because technically they can run anywhere even oz. That's one of the reason a couple years ago I became more of a prostyle undercenter guy. I like the ability to run anywhere without tipping off the defense. The pistol does this with the added ability to run iz read game. TBH if I was a real coach I'd probably run a pistol type offense.

But yea pistol can be tough especially sets with no slot to cheat off of. However, the essence of strategy is maximissing your strength and limiting your weaknesses.

If you are in single high defense the strength of your defense in the running game (numerically) will between the tackles. That's where your want to force the ball. Are you going to stop them for no gain every play? No, but over the course of the game if you are force the run into your numbers on a consistent basis you should have the advantage. Especially since I don't feel the pistol is blocked really well consistently in this game.

Make sure you watching your opponent and gaining information and tendencies. What is the initial track(the path the rb should be taking based on playart) of the of rb? If it A gap(s) the put people there and take away his lineman leverage against you.

Long story short I think your doing the right thing. Your taking away his ability to maximize the strength of the play by taking away his aiming point gaps, and forcing him into your numbers. That's pretty much the best you can do. It's hard to stop the zone read in this game.

(For my basketball fans)It's like playing steph curry the best strategy is to switch all screens and force him to take tough off the dribble shots. However, alot of the times he still kills you with that. Sux but, it doesn't change the fact that its still the best strategy against him. Defensively you want to take away you opponents strengths and make him beat you with his weaknesses over the course of an entire game (even if its a good weakness :) )

Atmore

Smart keeping DE outside the playside tackle(assuming there is no TE). That's exactly what you want to do.

Pistol can be tough because technically they can run anywhere even oz. That's one of the reason a couple years ago I became more of a prostyle undercenter guy. I like the ability to run anywhere without tipping off the defense. The pistol does this with the added ability to run iz read game. TBH if I was a real coach I'd probably run a pistol type offense.

But yea pistol can be tough especially sets with no slot to cheat off of. However, the essence of strategy is maximissing your strength and limiting your weaknesses.

If you are in single high defense the strength of your defense in the running game (numerically) will between the tackles. That's where your want to force the ball. Are you going to stop them for no gain every play? No, but over the course of the game if you are force the run into your numbers on a consistent basis you should have the advantage. Especially since I don't feel the pistol is blocked really well consistently in this game.

Make sure you watching your opponent and gaining information and tendencies. What is the initial track(the path the rb should be taking based on playart) of the of rb? If it A gap(s) the put people there and take away his lineman leverage against you.

Long story short I think your doing the right thing. Your taking away his ability to maximize the strength of the play by taking away his aiming point gaps, and forcing him into your numbers. That's pretty much the best you can do. It's hard to stop the zone read in this game.

(For my basketball fans)It's like playing steph curry the best strategy is to switch all screens and force him to take tough off the dribble shots. However, alot of the times he still kills you with that. Sux but, it doesn't change the fact that its still the best strategy against him. Defensively you want to take away you opponents strengths and make him beat you with his weaknesses over the course of an entire game (even if its a good weakness :) )
Man I was giving up 150+ in the run game but now it's right at 100 and lower. The only reason they get that is off QB scrambles. The best ypc for a RB has been 4.0 and for this game thats good for this game. I've been getting more INTs because they are being forced to pass.

fanoftgame

Man I was giving up 150+ in the run game but now it's right at 100 and lower. The only reason they get that is off QB scrambles. The best ypc for a RB has been 4.0 and for this game thats good for this game. I've been getting more INTs because they are being forced to pass.

ku-xlarge.gif

That's what I like to hear

LEGEND

Found a overload blitz that works consistently with one simple adjustment. If they have more than two players running routes... it will get there! If you slide protect... It will still get there!
It's not a nano... It's strictly more rushers than you can block. The reason slide protect doesn't work is... The overload comes from angles. It's the Lb's that shoot through. If you slide... You'll pick up Lb's but a DE or DT will go through untouched.

My only issues so far... Is finding plays that look similar. I could send it every down... But that's cheesy! The pressure is so intense... They have at most 2.5 seconds b4 being sacked. So with the pressure... comes many sacks and picks. If they try to quick pass they risk db's jumping the routes or throwing directly to a blitzing LB. I came across it completely by accident. I had 1* TX St. In a dynasty.. You had to start as a 1* team.

I was three seasons behind the other users. So their teams were stacked! I had decent Db's but they lacked speed. I was getting killed in man and zone! I started the season 0-3

I decided I had to blitz and it had to get there! I initially Found the blitz... but it worked occasionally. I made various adjustments and came across the simple crashing of the defensive line. I reeled off 10 str8 wins including the bowl game.

Actually... I may have just come up with a compliment blitz and coverage while writing this... I'll test later when I get home and update this post.

Last edited:

guardman23

Found a overload blitz that works consistently with one simple adjustment. If they have more than two players running routes... it will get there! If you slide protect... It will still get there!
It's not a nano... It's strictly more rushers than you can block. The reason slide protect doesn't work is... The overload comes from angles. It's the Lb's that shoot through. If you slide... You'll pick up Lb's but a DE or DT will go through untouched.

My only issues so far... Is finding plays that look similar. I could send it every down... But that's cheesy! The pressure is so intense... They have at most 2.5 seconds b4 being sacked. So with the pressure... comes many sacks and picks. If they try to quick pass they risk db's jumping the routes or throwing directly to a blitzing LB. I came across it completely by accident. I had 1* TX St. In a dynasty.. You had to start as a 1* team.

I was three seasons behind the other users. So their teams were stacked! I had decent Db's but they lacked speed. I was getting killed in man and zone! I started the season 0-3

I decided I had to blitz and it had to get there! I initially Found the blitz... but it worked occasionally. I made various adjustments and came across the simple crashing of the defensive line. I reeled off 10 str8 wins including the bowl game.

Actually... I may have just come up with a compliment blitz and coverage while writing this... I'll test later when I get home and update this post.

Pinch the d line then crash out re blitz the olbs an spread them?

LEGEND

Pinch the d line then crash out re blitz the olbs an spread them?
I don't want to give it away just yet... But that's not it. You show blitz crash D line... Move OLB that's just off LOS.. You put him on LOS.

LEGEND

I don't want to give it away just yet... But that's not it. You show blitz crash D line... Move OLB that's just off LOS.. You put him on LOS.

Actually, found another blitz to go with this one... It uses the same setup! It's from 3-3-5 Sam.

JAR201166

Actually, found another blitz to go with this one... It uses the same setup! It's from 3-3-5 Sam.

Go on I hate it but run commit is the only thing I can find to counter act the aggressive blocking setting