• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NML's NCAA Baseball Dynasty

NML

I used to freaking love this game, but it's been a decade since I played. Baseball season is starting up and wanted something to play, so went with this.

I'm playing with 06 - I never got 07 and it didn't sell nearly as well, so I'll trust that 06 was good enough. Got some sliders from OS and played one inning of a practice game. Good to go!

I'll twitch stream it all if you'll are interested. Playing with my Mountaineers, who have never been very good at baseball. They haven't been to the tournament since 1996, and have never made the College World Series.

To set the scene, here's the intro video from the game:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Is this the one where pitches would flash a color code so you could actually read the rotation on shitty standard def TVs? That shit was ingenious

NML

Over this game for a bit. Do you still have a copy?

I probably do somewhere, but I'm playing the emulator version

Is this the one where pitches would flash a color code so you could actually read the rotation on shitty standard def TVs? That shit was ingenious

Haha yeah, it's amazing. It also lets you actually take pitches since you can read the movement better.

And the analog stick swing, which I'm surprised isn't common nowadays

NML

Alright so I played a bunch and simmed a bunch, and we find ourselves 9-7 heading into conference play. We're 5th in the conference, which is certainly overperforming. However, I went 4-4 and the CPU went 5-3, so we are much closer to a .500 team (granted the CPU games were easier).

We open with a three game slate at home vs Seton Hall, who is also at 9-7. Followed up with a quick nonconference home stand vs Witchita State, and then back to Big East play.

I've hit the ball well, but not often for power. Cirillo should be one of the best bats in the conference, but he's been just slightly above average. Matty Wood at second has done very well, currently on the third team all conference watch list. Valenzula at SS has been the biggest disappointment, hitting below the Mendoza line.

Our staff has started to do okay - Amointe won his last two starts after dropping his first two, and finds himself second team all conference at the moment. Rierson isn't very good, but I seem to pitch well with him - he's 3-1 with a sub 3 ERA. Sorensen is 0-3 with a 6.3 ERA WOOF. Our bullpen has been a mixed bag - Baxter has been good, but only pitched four innings. Carrillo is 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA. But random freshman Wunsch is 3-0 with six scoreless innings and Valencia and GOATZ, who have a combined two decent pitches, have combined for 26 innings with eight runs. Not great, but considering they aren't any good, I'll take it.

I'm two for two with my challenges, hitting above .280 and getting 10 K's in separate series. Next one is less than four errors over a three game stand (Witchita).

Our season goals, which are much more important, are attainable. Need a pitcher with 8 wins (two at three right now), someone to make third team all conference (three as of now), hit 50 HRs as a team (18), and win 25 games (9). Could go four for four there, which would do a lot for our program prestige.

ZackMills

Have mercy

You say this like we can read the rotation on our non-shitty HDTVs now, haha.
But yeah, I don't get why other games didn't steal the color system. That would have saved Cartman from swinging at so many AJ Burnett curve balls in the dirt. :laughing:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I kind of assumed it had improved, lol. One of the reasons I quit playing the show. Just guessing at every pitch.

ZackMills

Have mercy
Yep, I agree that it blows guessing.

The other thing that was cool about that color system is it was different from pitcher to pitcher. Pitchers that were better at hiding the ball only allowed you a split second to see it, others showed the color for a second or so.

NML

Yep, I agree that it blows guessing.

The other thing that was cool about that color system is it was different from pitcher to pitcher. Pitchers that were better at hiding the ball only allowed you a split second to see it, others showed the color for a second or so.

Yeah, occasionally I can catch it while they are still in their windup

I love the basically entirely analog gameplay too. Makes hitting so much more interesting and fielding isn't just hitting a button.

NML

It just goes to show you how good vidya could be if the makers (in this case, EA) didn't make shit for the masses that sells regardless.

They knew this game wouldn't sell unless it was a legitimate and susbstaintial improvement over other baseball games (which has every 12 year olds favorite player) and they came up with multiple features that could've revolutionized baseball video games.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
It just goes to show you how good vidya could be if the makers (in this case, EA) didn't make shit for the masses that sells regardless.

They knew this game wouldn't sell unless it was a legitimate and susbstaintial improvement over other baseball games (which has every 12 year olds favorite player) and they came up with multiple features that could've revolutionized baseball video games.
Disagree. This was basically a rushed reskin of the sequel to MVP 05, which was the GOAT OF ALL TIME baseball game.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
And the flashing pitch indicator was from MVP 05. But it also featured a song that is on several critics worst songs of all times list. That Louis XIV song or whatever.

NML

We're at 14-14 about halfway through our season. Here's what the conference standings look like:

1. Seton Hall 17-11 (5-1)
2. Louisville 14-12 (5-1)
3. #24 Rutgers 18-10 (4-2)
4. UConn 15-13 (3-3)
5. Villanova 13-13 (3-3)
6. West Virginia 14-14 (3-3)
7. Notre Dame 11-15 (3-3)
8. USF 9-19 (3-3)
9. #15 Pittsburgh 18-8 (2-4)
10. Georgetown 13-15 (2-4)
11. St. John's 12-14 (2-4)
12. Cincinnati 8-20 (1-5)

As you can see, we have two teams in the top 25, but overall the conference is pretty average. This is good news for us, as it's not outside the realm of possibility that we could make a tournament run (assuming we get there).

In 2006, the Big East switched to an 8 team conference tournament - so we could easily make it. However, if it's based on 2005, it's only the top four. That's a little more of a stretch for us. Won't really know until it happens.

Our pitching has started to calm down a bit. Amonite has won four straight starts, and finds himself 5-3 with a sub 3 ERA and suddenly in the picture of Big East pitcher of the year. Sorenson has finally leveled out, although he still off the pace from the level we need our #2 to be. Rierson has fallen off from his unsustainable hot start, and looks more like a borderline pitcher. Baxter has cost us two games out of the pen, but we lack any other options there. Carillo is okay. Obviously my bats are still great all around and Cirillo is finally starting to add some pop. Snell is hitting almost .400 with eight homers and 30 RBIs.

Recruiting-wise, I basically made the decision to find two pitchers and a replacement for Snell in the outfield. None of the three are going to light the conference on fire, but all should be adequate to see time. I didn't really chase any big signees, but likely will next year after we have a little more prestige.

Goal at this point is to finish above .500 and make the conference tournament.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
This thread makes me really miss the MVP baseball series. I never really got into the college baseball variant, probably because all of the players were terrible and the rosters were from 2 years prior.

NML

Yeah I think this year's roster are actually 2005 - since most schools hadn't released their 2006 in early January. I'm guessing they released the game so early to try and get some extra sales from people with a baseball video game itch that early.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Yeah I think this year's roster are actually 2005 - since most schools hadn't released their 2006 in early January. I'm guessing they released the game so early to try and get some extra sales from people with a baseball video game itch that early.
Yeah. They took the 2005 roster and basically created ratings based on stats. So high SBs = High Speed. HRs = Power.

It was the year after where they literally just were like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and just literally moved rosters between teams depending on how they were ranked in each version. The #1 ranked team in the first version was the roster for the #1 ranked team in the 2nd version, and on down the line.

Reactions: NML

Wolfman21

how are you playing this? Emulator? Xbox? Playstation?

I got an itch to play this yesterday and i used to have a copy for regular xbox, but i must have lost it or got rid of it or something because i can't find it.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Any progress? I set the PS2 up and I've been playing a Fantasy Draft Owner Mode on MVP 2005 for about a month.