• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Official 2014 BYU Thread

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU and ASU have a home and home for 2020 and 2021. They will play in Tempe in September 2020 and in Provo in September 2021.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I was going to skip this, but I know there's some interest in how BYU does in setting up its schedule as an independent. So here's what was released on Monday:

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Aug 29, 2014Friday{/td}
{td}Connecticut{/td}
{td}East Hartford, CT
Rentschler Field
{/td}
{td}8:00 PM MDT{/td}
{td}ESPN{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sep 6, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Texas{/td}
{td}Austin, TX
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sep 11, 2014Thursday{/td}
{td}Houston{/td}
{td} Provo, UT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}ESPN{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sep 20, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Virginia{/td}
{td} Provo, UT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Oct 3, 2014Friday{/td}
{td}Utah State{/td}
{td} Provo, UT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Oct 11, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Central Florida{/td}
{td}Orlando, FL
Bright House Networks Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Oct 18, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Nevada{/td}
{td} Provo, UT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Oct 25, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Boise State{/td}
{td}Boise, ID
Bronco Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nov 1, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Middle Tennessee{/td}
{td}Murfreesboro, TN
Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nov 15, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}UNLV{/td}
{td} Provo, UT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nov 22, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}Savannah State{/td}
{td} Provo, UT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nov 29, 2014Saturday{/td}
{td}California{/td}
{td}Berkeley, CA
California Memorial Stadium
{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Having the UConn game on ESPN is big, even though it's a Friday. The Texas game is the big one of the season. I have a feeling Boise State will be moved to a Thursday. Overall, not the most exciting schedule. But I think Houston and Central Florida will be good teams, even if they don't have the name of a Michigan or Penn State. They may be better than those teams, but don't get viewed that way just by name.

BYU's AD did say they had a team penciled in for late in the season and it fell through at the last minute. That's why Savannah State is the senior game for the season.

No bowl announcement yet, but rumors are that they are trying to be involved in the Christmas Day Bowl that's trying to be formed or something like that. Lots of opportunities for wins this season, but unless the offense figures out how to score they won't be good enough to make any national noise anyway.

Craig7835

That schedule looks favorable.The Texas game will be a good one especially if you all can rack up 550+rushing yards on them again but I doubt it. So are gonna be a run based Spread team like they were most of last season or they gonna surprise us again?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I wish I had an answer for you, Craig. Fans would love to see them pass more. Taysom Hill is no Steve Young with his arm, but he's good enough to throw. Hopefully the OL will be good enough to give him more time and with another year under his belt he can pass better. They got some good receiver's on signing day that should help out immediately. But I wouldn't be shocked if they run just as much as last year.

Most fans have said 10 wins or bust. While I might agree, winning at Texas won't be easy. I think people are overlooking UCF because they aren't a name team, but that game may be tougher than expected. Houston will want revenge, so that one could be a toss-up. USU wants revenge and, IMO, is due a win in the rivalry. And Boise State is not an easy place to win. But 7-5 will show no growth in the team, especially if the offense struggles like last year. I think anything less than 9 wins should be considered a disaster. Not that 9 is simple, but 10 is definitely in reach. Even if they end up not being all that great of a team.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I forgot to mention that there will be an alternate uniform during the season. My guess is the go black again and they'll do it for the Nevada game. That's my guess.

Bdub

If Taysom develops into the player everyone says he will, I can't imagine less than 10 wins. UCF will be hard because playing on the other side of the country is always a challenge.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I love Taysom and think he's a real talent. But unless Anae does better at play calling, he's kind of hamstrung. The OL has to perform better, too. If they click, 10 wins easy (IMO).

Renegade

Charge on!
I wish I had an answer for you, Craig. Fans would love to see them pass more. Taysom Hill is no Steve Young with his arm, but he's good enough to throw. Hopefully the OL will be good enough to give him more time and with another year under his belt he can pass better. They got some good receiver's on signing day that should help out immediately. But I wouldn't be shocked if they run just as much as last year.

Most fans have said 10 wins or bust. While I might agree, winning at Texas won't be easy. I think people are overlooking UCF because they aren't a name team, but that game may be tougher than expected. Houston will want revenge, so that one could be a toss-up. USU wants revenge and, IMO, is due a win in the rivalry. And Boise State is not an easy place to win. But 7-5 will show no growth in the team, especially if the offense struggles like last year. I think anything less than 9 wins should be considered a disaster. Not that 9 is simple, but 10 is definitely in reach. Even if they end up not being all that great of a team.

Your fans may be forgetting that we gifted you the game in Provo. Our question is whether our offense is clicking, and by October, I'd expect something to be working.

Craig7835

Yeah I noticed that about 70% of the offense last year was straight up running-which is good-but I guess BYU fans are used to them airing it out more.I'll admit I'm not a fan of them,but I like watching those guys play & the way Mendenhall stuck to the LaVell Edwards WCO offense-sort of-during his time there,then they went to a more ball control Spread based offense.I think Hill needs to work on his mechanics a little bit better because there were moments he was on & then off again.If the offense improves,I think the Cougars will be 9-3

coogrfan

Definitely not thrilled with the prospect of playing your home opener on a short week. The only bright spot from a Houston POV is that you'll be coming off the UT game while we will have played Grambling.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Last November, Southern Miss said they were pushing back their 2014 game at BYU to a later date.

An addendum to the contract that was signed back in October but never announced, says the game will now be November 19, 2016.

The 2015 game at Southern Miss has not been affected.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Jamaal Williams recently plead not guilty to underage drinking.

He's been practicing with the team this spring. So either he's been hiding it and there will be repercussions or he's really not guilty and Bronco agrees so he's still with the team. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Aside from how it affects the team on the field, hopefully it's a good lesson for the young athlete with a lot of talent.

Wooly

I hope BYU doesn't treat the underage drinking (assuming he did it) any differently than the law does. It's such a minor thing to me. I know he agreed to the honor code, and I like that BYU does a good job of sticking up for its morals, even when it hurts athletic, but underage drinking is just not where I would want to see BYU take a harsh stand. I get it if there is a pattern of problems, and I don't condone underage drinking, but it's one of those things that is relative minor in the big scheme of things. This an opportunity to teach a lesson without unnecessary punitive measures. BYU should let him show he can learn from it and move on.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Bronco recently said that he knew about it a long time ago and it's already been resolved. It's a non-issue for the team at this point and he's in good standing.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The BYU/Boise State game will be on Friday, Oct. 24. No surprise since this is a game with traditional non-Saturday teams that ESPN or ESPN2 could get some viewers out of.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Officials with BYU football announced Thursday a home-and-home series with UCLA. The Cougars will travel to the Rose Bowl on Sept. 19, 2015, and the Bruins will come to LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 17, 2016.

2015 currently has 7 road games, including @ Michigan and @ Nebraska. I would expect one road game will be moved to another season or something. My guess is that's already in the works and just hasn't been announced or something.

I've avoided putting anything here about the allegations against BYU that the former Director of Football Operations gave gifts and such to players. I figured it will either lead to nothing or minor punishment from the NCAA and was going to wait. Since I posted this, though, I figured I'd at least bring it up.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Interesting breakdown of the numbers. The most frustrating thing, especially of late, for Mendenhall's teams have been losing games that they seemed to be capable of winning. Turnovers, obviously are a big part of that. If the offensive inefficiencies can be turned around, BYU can start making noise again nationally. That's what it's going to take to convince the Power division that seems to be coming that BYU deserves to be included (at least more than teams included that don't deserve it as much).

Bdub

Interesting breakdown of the numbers. The most frustrating thing, especially of late, for Mendenhall's teams have been losing games that they seemed to be capable of winning. Turnovers, obviously are a big part of that. If the offensive inefficiencies can be turned around, BYU can start making noise again nationally. That's what it's going to take to convince the Power division that seems to be coming that BYU deserves to be included (at least more than teams included that don't deserve it as much).
BYU certainly deserves to be included. The question is BYU willing to give up something to join a power conference. Say do something like Utah did and give up some of their share of money for a few years.

Bdub

I see no reason why they wouldn't. The only thing that really isn't negotiable for BYU is Sunday play.
I agree, you always hear rumors about BYU being hard to work with and not wanting to negotiate or concede on anything. A lot of teams in the Mountain West were glad to see them go. Now I think that all of that is probably a little over blown. However at some point you have to wonder if there is some truth to it.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Was looking through Utah's schedule…what's up with no Holy War for the next 2 years?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
They said they want their out of conference to be an A level team, a B level team and a C level team. Then they announced a series with Michigan.

Right there they admitted BYU is an A level team to them.

Later they announced a series with Fresno State. There's no reason why those games couldn't have been BYU.

Most local think that by dropping the series, they got a lot of flak and realized what the game means to the state. I kind of don't think it will happen again.

Bdub

They dropped them so they could play Michigan. If they had kept BYU on the schedule it would make for an insanely hard season.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Biggest problem for BYU going forward is the fact the ACC/SEC don't consider them to be in the power category. That basically closes both of those conferences that decided to go 8 league games up to them. I know Syracuse was close to/had discussed a 1-1-1 series (neutral game at Meadowlands) with them.

Big XII is hard as those teams all have 9 conf games. I bet Big Ten teams too will schedule less once they go to 9.

It looks like the Pac-12 changed their "no non-conf games other than ND after the first four weeks" rule too with the home/home BYU has with Cal which helps. I see future games at Utah/USC/Stanford to end the season for the Cougars.

Brick

BYU is more annoying than notre dame. apparently "the code" is to act like a douchebag after every play.

btw does @Irishman like the fighting corch kid killers anymore now since he shuns tradition?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
At media day early last week, BYU's AD indicated they are still talking to SEC and ACC teams. It will be interesting to see who. I hope they happen and are announced soon.

With SOS being important for the playoff, I could see a team that has a low-end Power 5 team (say Vanderbilt or Duke, just as an example) pick BYU as a way to raise the SOS.

When the PAC-12 said "No OOC games after week 3" everyone thought that was the nail in the coffin for indie BYU and they'd have to crawl back to the MWC. BYU, however, found a way around that. With the Notre Dame games late in the season, some team ends up having a late season bye. The PAC-12 doesn't want that so BYU was able to slip in to fill that hole (that's what she said).

I wouldn't be surprised that BYU can find a way to play games despite what the conferences are saying. There are ways to make things work. Also, selling that the games will be on ESPN is a big deal to teams. More than playing BYU, I think teams like knowing they have a guaranteed ESPN game and find that more enticing.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU announced a home-and-home with Washington. Sept. 2018 in Seattle. Sept. 2019 in Provo.

BYU's AD commented that the 6 remaining games in the Notre Dame series may be in jeopardy because of the new ACC agreement. BYU has played twice in South Bend and has been waiting for a return game to be scheduled. The remaining 6 games were to be by 2020, but nothing is on the schedule yet.

BYU expects to hear from the NCAA on the allegations of gifts to some students over the past several years. From everything out there, it sounds like any punishment will be very minimal. It's almost a non-story.

Wooly

It seems like BYU keeps running into this problem where the return game is always after the travel game, and then teams back out.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
It seems like BYU keeps running into this problem where the return game is always after the travel game, and then teams back out.

It's a problem on ND's end too. UConn scheduled a series with them and ND refused to come to Rentschler, they would only play them at The Meadowlands or Gilette.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Bronco revealed he was targeting playing Syracuse as the season opener this year, but ended up with UConn when they started looking for other teams in the area they could play. Sharing, just because it was interesting.

Bdub

I saw Bronco taking shots at Utah for not playing them this year. Did he want to lose again or what?

Wooly

Bronco revealed he was targeting playing Syracuse as the season opener this year, but ended up with UConn when they started looking for other teams in the area they could play. Sharing, just because it was interesting.

Why the Northeast? What is the draw for them?

Wooly

I saw Bronco taking shots at Utah for not playing them this year. Did he want to lose again or what?

One of the best rivalries around, I am really going to miss this matchup. Damn you modern CFB...and get off my lawn!:emo:

Bdub

One of the best rivalries around, I am really going to miss this matchup. Damn you modern CFB...and get off my lawn!:emo:
Agreed its an awesome game. I just found it funny that the coach who has lost 4 years in a row is saying the Utes are scared to play them.

Wooly

That's not the northeast. They have a lot in the VA area, but the West is where all the LDS people are. They already play in the west of course, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to play anywhere else in particular since there are not many LDS anywhere but the west. Sure, the NE has more than the deep south, but it doesn't seem like enough to matter either way really. At least playing the south more might help a little in recruiting. Not only do they have more athletes down there, but they might find a few that are also devout Christian and willing to come to BYU with that honor code. That seems like a bigger issue for future success of BYU. Their recruiting pool is not getting any better. They say they have about 40 kids a year they can target, which is pretty damn small. Those are the kids with enough D1 talent, good enough grades, and are willing to live the honor code (or at least say they will). BYU is going to need a lot more than just the usual LDS recruiting pool if they want to keep up with the elite in CFB. The northeast is not going to help with that.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Why the Northeast? What is the draw for them?

Bronco specifically mentioned how nearby Palmyra (often called the "birthplace of the LDS Church) is. And while Wooly's points in later posts have a point, there is still a good number of members of the Church that are close enough to make the trip that would otherwise never get to see BYU play.

Wooly

Those are reasons for scheduling a football game? Interesting Mendenhall (who I quite like). I don't choose game sites based on church history. If you are going to travel, at least try and find games at locations that help build the program, not so LDS people can come watch. We have satellites now days, everyone can watch whatever wherever. BYU needs to focus on recruits, not where Mormons live and what they get to watch.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Former QB Max Hall was arrested over the weekend for shoplifting and drug possession in AZ. He was arrested in a Best Buy where they found stuff from there and a nearby Wal-Mart. He was also found with a "personal-use" quantity of cocaine.

Let the jokes begin.

In all seriousness, though, I hope this is rock bottom for him. With two accusations in his life of beer being poured on his family by opposing fans (I'm not saying he lied, but it seems odd), his "hate" comments and now this, it's obvious he's got a lot of issues. So hopefully this is where he starts to turn things around instead of continuing down the path he appears to be headed.