• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Olympic shit and pissing show

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ling-team-pursuit-world-champions-dies-age-23

Rest in peace Kelly.

USA's Kelly Catlin, three-time cycling world champion, dies aged 23
  • American won silver in team pursuit at Rio Olympics
  • Minnesotan was also a talented artist and musician

Kelly Catlin on the podium after winning bronze in the individual pursuit final at the 2018 world track championships. Photograph: Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images

One of America’s finest and most remarkable cyclists, Kelly Catlin, has died at the age of 23, USA Cycling confirmed on Sunday.

Catlin helped a dominant US team to three consecutive world titles in the pursuit between 2016 and 2018. She also won a silver medal in the team pursuit at the 2016 Olympics.

Catlin was a force in the individual pursuit too, winning bronze at the World Track Championships in 2017 and 2018. On the road, she competed for Rally UHC Cycling.

“We are deeply saddened by Kelly’s passing,” said the USA Cycling president and chief executive, Rob DeMartini.

“We will all miss her dearly. Kelly was more than an athlete to us and she will always be part of the USA Cycling family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Catlin family. This is an incredibly difficult time and we want to respect their privacy.”

Catlin’s father, Mark, said his daughter had taken her own life.

“There isn’t a minute that goes by that we don’t think of her and think of the wonderful life she could have lived,” Mark Catlin told Velo News. “There isn’t a second in which we wouldn’t freely give our lives in exchange for hers. The hurt is unbelievable.”

Catlin was studying for a graduate degree in computational and mathematical engineering at Stanford, after competing an undergraduate degree in mathematics and Chinese. She was also a talented violinist and artist.

FacebookTwitterPinterest

Kelly Catlin was studying at Stanford at the time of her death. Photograph: Power Sport Images/Getty Images
Last month on Velo News, Catlin wrote about balancing her athletic and academic career.

“Being a graduate student, track cyclist, and professional road cyclist can instead feel like I need to time-travel to get everything done. And things still slip through the cracks,” she wrote. “This is probably the point when you’ll expect me to say something cliché like, ‘Time management is everything.’ Or perhaps you’re expecting a nice, encouraging slogan like, ‘Being a student only makes me a better athlete!’ After all, I somehow make everything work, right? Sure. Yeah, that’s somewhat accurate.

“But the truth is that most of the time, I don’t make everything work.”

BearDownUofA

Festizio
Banning people for smoking pot killed it for me.
I don't get the rationale. The only sports where it would be a performance enhancer are the ones where you need to stay really calm but I imagine that anyone who did that would be too blazed out of their mind for the calmness to really help.
I like how they made the beds out of cardboard so they can't have sex.
Not true. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/19/...-olympic-village-sex-beds-spt-intl/index.html

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Didn't Japan tell them not to do this? Apparently Japan, one of the cleanest and most governmentally competent countries in the world, has completely botched COVID. If Japan tells you it's out of control maybe fucking listen.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Didn't Japan tell them not to do this? Apparently Japan, one of the cleanest and most governmentally competent countries in the world, has completely botched COVID. If Japan tells you it's out of control maybe fucking listen.
I dont know if it's botched as much as maybe its a little tough to manage in a city with 40 million fucking people living in close proximity lol

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I dont know if it's botched as much as maybe its a little tough to manage in a city with 40 million fucking people living in close proximity lol

Low vaccination rates so far. Their pandemic response so far has been correct which is closed borders. Why fuck the border up for the Olympics when delta is around?

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The only pandemic response that works now is zero covid or 85% vaccination rate until they tweak the vaccines. Everyone else is going to be overrun with delta.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
From what I understand Japan hasn't done a great jerb with vaccine roll out. Their population has a history of not trusting vaccines but I think I read 65% (could be pulling that out of my ass) are willing to get this it just hasn't been effectively distributed.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
From what I understand Japan hasn't done a great jerb with vaccine roll out. Their population has a history of not trusting vaccines but I think I read 65% (could be pulling that out of my ass) are willing to get this it just hasn't been effectively distributed.

I think everywhere is going to have to do everyone again with variant boosters anyway due to delta and the next one the UK is inevitably cooking up. Japan will probably just keep borders closed again and cancel Olympics. If they let delta in they are super fucked.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think everywhere is going to have to do everyone again with variant boosters anyway due to delta and the next one the UK is inevitably cooking up. Japan will probably just keep borders closed again and cancel Olympics. If they let delta in they are super fucked.

They can't cancel the olympics tho