• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Option Offense

Atmore

I know this thread is kind of dead but I'm looking for something different and my biggest question is how is anyone attacking the perimeter when the box is loaded abd the option d is always a give read

There are plenty play you can do.... Where people mess up with this offense is they think they have to "option" every play.... You can get in Flex Close and run Speed Option, WB Dive(bounce it outside), WB Misdirection and all the same plays from normal.... Flex Wing Trips has a bubble screen.... You can even get into Flex Slot or Trips L/R formation sub your HB to slot them pass them out of crowding the box.... Oh FB Load Option from any formation gives you extra blockers going outside.... The option is your main play but make them pay somewhere else them come back to option.... Some games I barely run option because that's all they are setting up to stop.... Get your mind out of I have to option and you will see the playbook covers all gaps and areas to run the ball

Last edited:

fanoftgame

I know this thread is kind of dead but I'm looking for something different and my biggest question is how is anyone attacking the perimeter when the box is loaded abd the option d is always a give read

How loaded is the box? Is there 1 safety or 0? Unless there are 0 safeties in theory you should be able to run triple or midline. :thinking:Unless your getting a lot of bear
fronts which in that case I 'd look to run off tackle, sweeps, pitches or pass U can still get triple off to though.

If its cover 0 you really should be passing.Also take a look at this link and see if it helps

http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/paul-johnsons-if-then-methodology-to.html

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
v1v45e.gif

Slick flanker reverse by Paul Johnson against UNC. It was a ballsy call because they were down 3 with about three minutes left in the game.

LEGEND

Played a guy the other day in a ranked match that just killed me running flex. His play calling was what really set everything up.

I figured him out but allowed him to gash me with qb scrambles. I kept thinking he wouldn't continue doing it and he did the entire game! He'd call a flex verts play and just take off with the qb each time.

That was really the difference in the game... I was down by 17 @ one point. Cut to 3 in 4th qtr but again the vert scramble killed me. I hate when people do that type of stuff but it's not cheating. It's just cpu defenders don't react to it! If I was in zone the LB or DB would just watch him run by them. If man, then no one was there to do anything because their backs were turned chasing receivers.

I started using LB to attack the scramble and he just floated the ball to B back mid scramble. Kinda made me want to run flex again but I won't scramble like that. It just feels cheesy to me.

LEGEND

Did you try containg your ends or spying your most athletic one?

Yeah... It was a pain in the butt! He usually caught me in man and would take off for 20-30 yds. He had a nice little scheme with quick passes... It's similar to what I used to do, when I ran Option. It was really the only big runs he had.

I wouldn't run scrambles like that but he obviously had no issues running them all game. It's like guys who call 4 verts or 5 wide just to bail with the qb at snap. I out rushed him something like 220-130 all of his rushing came from those scrambles. I shut his backs down... His backs did catch for good yds though!

fanoftgame

Played a guy the other day in a ranked match that just killed me running flex. His play calling was what really set everything up.

I figured him out but allowed him to gash me with qb scrambles. I kept thinking he wouldn't continue doing it and he did the entire game! He'd call a flex verts play and just take off with the qb each time.

That was really the difference in the game... I was down by 17 @ one point. Cut to 3 in 4th qtr but again the vert scramble killed me. I hate when people do that type of stuff but it's not cheating. It's just cpu defenders don't react to it! If I was in zone the LB or DB would just watch him run by them. If man, then no one was there to do anything because their backs were turned chasing receivers.

I started using LB to attack the scramble and he just floated the ball to B back mid scramble. Kinda made me want to run flex again but I won't scramble like that. It just feels cheesy to me.

I'm assuming he is doing the sprint out thing. If so its imcredible tough to defend. On Madden 15 ps3 Theat's 90% of the passing game your going to see. The problem is the fast qb's can outrun your lb's and De's. Contains dont work either.

The only way I have been able to contain people who won't stop are cb blitz. The problem is once start that if the have brain in there head the seama are wide open. And you start running these bastardized coverages that are really unsound.

I play one the better gt users on ps3 and while he is generally str8 when he has to pass he is all sprint by 8 secounds of time then either pass or run.

Its cheesy imo. The defenders in zone also do move there coverage to qb sprint outs which is the man issue. However if you put a de in contain and spread the line and the qb still just scramble out qut can you do.

He was a good guy but I stopped playin him because of this.

LEGEND

I'm assuming he is doing the sprint out thing. If so its imcredible tough to defend. On Madden 15 ps3 Theat's 90% of the passing game your going to see. The problem is the fast qb's can outrun your lb's and De's. Contains dont work either.

The only way I have been able to contain people who won't stop are cb blitz. The problem is once start that if the have brain in there head the seama are wide open. And you start running these bastardized coverages that are really unsound.

I play one the better gt users on ps3 and while he is generally str8 when he has to pass he is all sprint by 8 secounds of time then either pass or run.

Its cheesy imo. The defenders in zone also do move there coverage to qb sprint outs which is the man issue. However if you put a de in contain and spread the line and the qb still just scramble out qut can you do.

He was a good guy but I stopped playin him because of this.

Yeah, he did the roll out crap! In zone LB's just watched qb run by. In man the wr's and backs ran everyone off and he'd scramble for 20+. If I ran cb blitz he was able to hit wing back or WR before cb could tackle him. Not to mention the ridiculous broken tackles by the qb.

I put guys in spy and qb just ran past them or broke the tackle. It was one of my most frustrating games.

fanoftgame

Yeah, he did the roll out crap! In zone LB's just watched qb run by. In man the wr's and backs ran everyone off and he'd scramble for 20+. If I ran cb blitz he was able to hit wing back or WR before cb could tackle him. Not to mention the ridiculous broken tackles by the qb.

I put guys in spy and qb just ran past them or broke the tackle. It was one of my most frustrating games.

What I do is put qb contain on conservative. My thought is that you can't stop the qb rollout anyways so you might as well have your secoundary cover their wrs and not get caught in no mans land.

That's how must people play though now. They pick plays with 3 level crossers and sprintout to the side of the crossers buy 7-8 secounds and wait for your defenders to let them get open on the opposite sideline.

Again a main problem is in zone especially defenders don't cross with the offenders. So you end up having half you defense doing nothing on the other side of the field while the offense overloads to the other. If its man no one can defend for that long or they just run with qb.

It really dumbs down the game imo.

LEGEND

Yeah, I've seen that roll out a lot lately. Defenders don't cover it or pass guy off like they are supposed to! They just cover area.... regardless if there's someone there or not.

Every time I see it I'm asking myself... Is this guy really running this carp? It has really dumbed down the game! Most guys will run it all game if you don't stop them.... Even then, they will come back to it often.

fanoftgame

Yeah, I've seen that roll out a lot lately. Defenders don't cover it or pass guy off like they are supposed to! They just cover area.... regardless if there's someone there or not.

Every time I see it I'm asking myself... Is this guy really running this carp? It has really dumbed down the game! Most guys will run it all game if you don't stop them.... Even then, they will come back to it often.

Yea again if they are playing with a mobile qb the de can't really contain it, you have to blitz corners. What makes it really tough is when they don't have a slot. Then most of the time blitzing lbs can't even contain qb. So you have to contain with with outside cbs. Or deal with sideline to sideline sprints out every pass play?

I really don't like to rush anything less than 4 and I will never go less then 3, Which makes it all the more difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fanoftgame

My new strategy against sprint out passing is to user spy and attack the qb.

What you do is pick a defense with a 3 man front. You do this so the guy you spy with doesn't leave holes or gaps in you defense. You call your regular defense but you manually take the fourth rush(usually an olb ). Your job is to make the qb pull up.

I like to put my play in spy because I feel it does better not putting you out of position at the snap and is useful if you get to the edge with the qb and you have to click off and let the cpu make the tackle.

But again you main job is to find which direction you the qb is sprinting out to and take the best angle toward the qb to stop the roll out.

You are not spy like the cpu does because that allow them to sprint to the sideline and buy time for routes to clear. Once you find out where he is sprinting you are booking into the backfield at a cut off angle.

This also helps because as stated before the cpu does a poor job of shifting their zones on sprint out. By denying qb's the sideline you keep the route concepts in the area your defenders can cover.

Here is where I got the idead and kinda what it looks like.

353-Defense-vs-Sprint-Out-Pass.jpg

I have tried it on madden ps3 where sprint out passing is the most used form of passing online. Its also hard to defend in madden imo because of bad pursuit angles and no gameplay settings to tell cpu to stay in their zone and don't attack the qb so he can just through it over your head(which is what everyone wants to do).

Its not full proof by any means. There are guys out here who will sprint the opposite way of the route concept with only one route coming to that side and squeeze it in.:angry:

However, I like this idea so far because I don't have to bastardize my coverage with all these crazy hot routes to try keep a player from getting to the sideline. You playcalling has to be a lot better because your not usering in coverage. Also, if they are mixing the run and playaction you can take yourself out of plays anticipating the sprint out.

Again I feel this issue isn't as present in ncaa as it is in madden however I think its another tool in you toolkit based on real world tactics that can be used.

Here is the Full Article: Defending Sprintout

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I think I have my offense ready to go for my first season in the powerhouse OD. I had two playbooks as of yesterday: a traditional wishbone/flexbone/wingbone playbook & what I call the "gunbone" - split backs, wing sets, and a few spread formations from the gun. @NavyHog invited me to play some unranked because he was bored, and I wanted to test out the playbooks.

I began with the traditional book - total flop. The gap scheme blocking in the game is FUBAR. We had connection issues halfway through, and I only had 50 total yards at halftime calling correct player per PJ's if-then rules.

The second game, I ran my gunbone book, which is based off Wofford's offense. My first play from scrimmage was a 75 yard scamper by the QB on a triple option out of Gun Split Offset. I then began to mix in the other looks once he started playing aggressively with the FS: putting in a wing TE and mixing in motion to keep him on his toes. I drove down the field only to throw a pick. The next drive, I quick snapped from split backs big and had another big run for a TD. In the fourth quarter, I started a drive off with the jet sweep series out of 5WR Trio with the HB slot sub, checked to the bubble screen, and ran to daylight with the slot receiver for a TD.

I'm convinced the Gunbone is the way to go if you're going to play triple option online. I wish we still had the simsports site online, so I could post the playbook. It's a dandy.

Does anyone have the images from that site? I may be able to build something out to replace it. @oneback

Last edited:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I think I have my offense ready to go for my first season in the powerhouse OD. I had two playbooks as of yesterday: a traditional wishbone/flexbone/wingbone playbook & what I call the "gunbone" - split backs, wing sets, and a few spread formations from the gun. @NavyHog invited me to play some unranked because he was bored, and I wanted to test out the playbooks.

I began with the traditional book - total flop. The gap scheme blocking in the game is FUBAR. We had connection issues halfway through, and I only had 50 total yards at halftime calling correct player per PJ's if-then rules.

The second game, I ran my gunbone book, which is based off Wofford's offense. My first play from scrimmage was a 75 yard scamper by the QB on a triple option out of Gun Split Offset. I then began to mix in the other looks once he started playing aggressively with the FS: putting in a wing TE and mixing in motion to keep him on his toes. I drove down the field only to throw a pick. The next drive, I quick snapped from split backs big and had another big run for a TD. In the fourth quarter, I started a drive off with the jet sweep series out of 5WR Trio with the HB slot sub, checked to the bubble screen, and ran to daylight with the slot receiver for a TD.

I'm convinced the Gunbone is the way to go if you're going to play triple option online. I wish we still had the simsports site online, so I could post the playbook. It's a dandy.

Does anyone have the images from that site? I may be able to build something out to replace it. @oneback

If the game worked properly I would play with the traditional option. However, there are a few things that make it very hard to play against users:

1) The inability of WR to block the CB. If you the pitch read there is always a CB there to clean it up. It’s rare that WR will pancake or even stick with a block. That’s why you might as well cut up with QB and get what you can get.

2) The inability to attack the edges with the WB toss. So smart users take away the QB and force you to give to the FB 15 times a game. This could be counter acted if the WB toss worked right. There is never any blocking (see above) and if you audible to the toss, it often pitches it forward like a pass. Twice against Zach it did this and once he got an INT off WB toss (SMH).

To win with it you really have to be creative with the pass. Which is okay, but if you have to pass 30 times a game to win with it then what is the point?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
If the game worked properly I would play with the traditional option. However, there are a few things that make it very hard to play against users:

1) The inability of WR to block the CB. If you the pitch read there is always a CB there to clean it up. It’s rare that WR will pancake or even stick with a block. That’s why you might as well cut up with QB and get what you can get.

2) The inability to attack the edges with the WB toss. So smart users take away the QB and force you to give to the FB 15 times a game. This could be counter acted if the WB toss worked right. There is never any blocking (see above) and if you audible to the toss, it often pitches it forward like a pass. Twice against Zach it did this and once he got an INT off WB toss (SMH).

To win with it you really have to be creative with the pass. Which is okay, but if you have to pass 30 times a game to win with it then what is the point?

Agreed. Throughout the 4th quarter, I kept in the back of my mind the INT I got off the toss and basically treated the game as if the score off it didn't count. In a league game, I'd probably throw an INT on purpose right after it to balance out the bug. It's really a shame rocket toss doesn't work in the game (or any toss of that matter besides on the goal line). PJ uses it about 10% of the time, and it's always either to the sideline or to the end zone.

Again, zone blocking from the gun the almost OP. If you read the fronts and apply the same rules you do to PJ's offense, you can get wide open runs (see above). The blocking is simply coded better. You also don't get those DL's that can swim move like Michael Phelps. Besides my one bonehead pitch read to no one off your user safety, I'd say I played a good game on offense. On defense, I was throwing everything at you, and you seemed to have an answer. I'm not looking forward to facing you in Powerhouse because you dominate TOP & consistently move the chains even if you get behind schedule. You've truly mastered the option game.

Atmore

Agreed. Throughout the 4th quarter, I kept in the back of my mind the INT I got off the toss and basically treated the game as if the score off it didn't count. In a league game, I'd probably throw an INT on purpose right after it to balance out the bug. It's really a shame rocket toss doesn't work in the game (or any toss of that matter besides on the goal line). PJ uses it about 10% of the time, and it's always either to the sideline or to the end zone.

Again, zone blocking from the gun the almost OP. If you read the fronts and apply the same rules you do to PJ's offense, you can get wide open runs (see above). The blocking is simply coded better. You also don't get those DL's that can swim move like Michael Phelps. Besides my one bonehead pitch read to no one off your user safety, I'd say I played a good game on offense. On defense, I was throwing everything at you, and you seemed to have an answer. I'm not looking forward to facing you in Powerhouse because you dominate TOP & consistently move the chains even if you get behind schedule. You've truly mastered the option game.
I've tried running option from shotgun but it's hard for me to keep them guessing without a blanced formtion. I understand the "if then" just not sure how from shotgun. I've played guys who can stack the box and play man outside. Or they get pressure from the man over the slot. What to do if someone sets their defense on "Conservative" forcing the QB to run and scrape over?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I've tried running option from shotgun but it's hard for me to keep them guessing without a blanced formtion. I understand the "if then" just not sure how from shotgun. I've played guys who can stack the box and play man outside. Or they get pressure from the man over the slot. What to do if someone sets their defense on "Conservative" forcing the QB to run and scrape over?

That's when you run QB Wrap. Part of PJ's rules states if the defender is hard to read or scraping, start pulling lineman and ditch the option runs (think shovel option, HB off tackle, etc.). If they're going to scrap, you need to account for the defender with a blocker. See here: http://smartfootball.com/run-game/t...and-the-quadruple-option#sthash.C3Rp4fih.dpbs.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Y Lead Read Option would be perfect for those situations but the TE pulling blocks like a moron and always completely ignores the scrape defender.

If you are going to run the flex from something other than under center, it seems like Pistol is the way to go.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Been messing around with Wishbone Tight and Wide formations. For those guys that play QB aggressive (90% of users) the QB/FB option (Wishbone Tight) is a deadly quick hitter, if it's a QB keeper it is kind of strange as he then sort of runs a sweep outside the tackles.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I just wish they still had Wishbone Normal to make it a complete offense. I watched some film on a high school that runs a "multiple" wishbone where the move the A backs out to the slots to make a strong/weak/trips look. Very interesting.

fanoftgame

Yea that is when you start running you direct hand offs or mid-line. You start running midline and now you basically have a qb iso runs. I know when I'm in the shotgun and people start scraping I really like direct handoffs. Now you regain numbers because the lb/safety takes themselves out of the of play.

Atmore

Yea that is when you start running you direct hand offs or mid-line. You start running midline and now you basically have a qb iso runs. I know when I'm in the shotgun and people start scraping I really like direct handoffs. Now you regain numbers because the lb/safety takes themselves out of the of play.
This has been really working for me. I appreciate it and it has really opened up my passing. I'm still not as solid with my play calling from shotgun as I am from Flex but I haven't made a custom playbook either. I've been using AUB playbook with success in lobby.

fanoftgame

This has been really working for me. I appreciate it and it has really opened up my passing. I'm still not as solid with my play calling from shotgun as I am from Flex but I haven't made a custom playbook either. I've been using AUB playbook with success in lobby.

Glad it helped

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Made a Bob Davie-esque pistol playbook last night after reading some of his articles on the triple option game. I'm still torn between spread, option, and pro style offenses.

The flexbone has pass pro issues, wishbone's blocking is better but only two formations limit the schemes you can run, and the pistol is too predictable for option runs. If only the Wishbone had a 31 personnel look like it used to. :emo:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Yeah you don't have time to go through a lot of progressions passing out of the Flex. If the first two options are covered I'm looking to scramble.

LEGEND

I really miss the old run heavy play book! That was my playbook from day 1 of playing this game. When they removed that PB... they removed some of the other formations also.

The flex has never been the same IMO. I'm thinking of playing around with putting a custom flex book together.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

LEGEND

Added 5 flex formations to my current playbook and played a cpu OD game. I forgot how much fun the flex could be! Ran pretty much nothing but passing plays for 3 qtr's...

My Qb went 19-30 467 yds 5td's 2int's.

I ran the ball the entire 4th qtr... Rushing 49 times for 284 yds and 5td's. I need to tweak it a bit... I have some other interesting ideas as well!

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Added 5 flex formations to my current playbook and played a cpu OD game. I forgot how much fun the flex could be! Ran pretty much nothing but passing plays for 3 qtr's...

My Qb went 19-30 467 yds 5td's 2int's.

I ran the ball the entire 4th qtr... Rushing 49 times for 284 yds and 5td's. I need to tweak it a bit... I have some other interesting ideas as well!

The problem with the flex isn't your default run is the dive play, but when you audible to it, the D pinches the line and blows up the play. Not sure what kind of bug creates that logic, but they pinch every time. When I run flex, I base out of midline and audible to whatever run play beats the front I see. My recommendation to you is to practice midline over and over and over until you have it nailed down. If you can execute midline, you'll be unstoppable.

LEGEND

Right now... my biggest problem is forcing the ball down field! All my int's are from going for the big play! I gotta stop going for the 1 play score.. It's too tempting.

LEGEND

Right now... my biggest problem is forcing the ball down field! All my int's are from going for the big play! I gotta stop going for the 1 play score.. It's too tempting.

The definition of insanity.... LoL

I wrote this and still threw a pick against @JSU Zack trying to force a pass down field... Smh! I may just keep 1 of the flex formations... Flex normal. Listening to what @JSU Zack said... I'm not fully committed to running the flex. So it's a waste of time.

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Thanks for labbing, @LEGEND. My attempt at making what I called a "core wishbone offense" was wishful thinking. I wish EA would have taken the time to fix the flex before they dropped the game altogether. It seemed like the only way I could move the ball on you was in the air. I think at halftime I had -1 yards rushing on 20 attempts (very little was triple) and 120 yards passing on five attempts.

This game has been out for two years, and I've made countless playbooks trying make up for the lack of the flexbone offense. After we finished up last night, I went on a Wing T binge and made a gun offense that was five formations:
  • Gun Normal HB Wk
  • Gun Trio HB Wk
  • Gun Y Trips HB Wk
  • Gun Twin TE Slot
  • Gun Twin TE
Just these five sets seemed effective against the CPU. The only thing that's really lacking is a few of the formations don't have IZ (but have zone read), and there's only one jet sweep in the playbook without any complementary series plays.

You didn't know it last night, but the 12 personnel book I used in the first game had a lot of the jet series in it. I would come out in jet and check to outside zone the opposite way depending on the front. My only concern is there are only a handful of fk jet IZ plays in the playbook (three to my knowledge). What we need is something like this: http://www.bucksweep.com/wingtrevolution.htm.

Image1.gif

The Deleware Wing T has an entire series of 12 plays using this motion, including a counter away from motion, a double option, midline, smash, and waggle pass. The closest thing to this I can find is the 21 personnel flex over formation with the speed sweep, triple, trap, midline, curl seam, and switch plays. That's a nasty formation, but there isn't a complementary balanced formation in the game that will allow to run more traditional Wing T principles and pro style passing.

LEGEND

You gashed me pretty good in that 1st game! The 2nd game... the flex fell right into what I try and do on defense. I've been trying to get pressure on the Qb to hurry throws.

I'm so focused on trying to create pressure schemes that I don't even focus on coverage... Thus the big plays deep! I gotta stop that... It carries over into my user games. I'm busy trying stuff in games with users that... Should only be done in practice or lab sessions.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
You gashed me pretty good in that 1st game! The 2nd game... the flex fell right into what I try and do on defense. I've been trying to get pressure on the Qb to hurry throws.

I'm so focused on trying to create pressure schemes that I don't even focus on coverage... Thus the big plays deep! I gotta stop that... It carries over into my user games. I'm busy trying stuff in games with users that... Should only be done in practice or lab sessions.

I'm the opposite. I use a Saban scheme with a focus on coverage and fire zone blitzes. I think I'm onto something with the Wing T book. The last one I made had some glaring holes, but it allowed me to be balanced and kill the clock. The last user game I played against @NavyHog with the "Pistol T" book I had beat him (no small feat).

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Thanks for labbing, @LEGEND. My attempt at making what I called a "core wishbone offense" was wishful thinking. I wish EA would have taken the time to fix the flex before they dropped the game altogether. It seemed like the only way I could move the ball on you was in the air. I think at halftime I had -1 yards rushing on 20 attempts (very little was triple) and 120 yards passing on five attempts.

This game has been out for two years, and I've made countless playbooks trying make up for the lack of the flexbone offense. After we finished up last night, I went on a Wing T binge and made a gun offense that was five formations:
  • Gun Normal HB Wk
  • Gun Trio HB Wk
  • Gun Y Trips HB Wk
  • Gun Twin TE Slot
  • Gun Twin TE
Just these five sets seemed effective against the CPU. The only thing that's really lacking is a few of the formations don't have IZ (but have zone read), and there's only one jet sweep in the playbook without any complementary series plays.

You didn't know it last night, but the 12 personnel book I used in the first game had a lot of the jet series in it. I would come out in jet and check to outside zone the opposite way depending on the front. My only concern is there are only a handful of fk jet IZ plays in the playbook (three to my knowledge). What we need is something like this: http://www.bucksweep.com/wingtrevolution.htm.

Image1.gif

The Deleware Wing T has an entire series of 12 plays using this motion, including a counter away from motion, a double option, midline, smash, and waggle pass. The closest thing to this I can find is the 21 personnel flex over formation with the speed sweep, triple, trap, midline, curl seam, and switch plays. That's a nasty formation, but there isn't a complementary balanced formation in the game that will allow to run more traditional Wing T principles and pro style passing.

I'm not in a position to use this stuff so I figured I may give you a crack at it. One of the core components of my offense is seamless audibles from one formation to the next, where just a single player moves. Essentially allowing me to create a quick jet type of motion pre-snap. For example, my Pistol Weak Slot (FB) to Pistol Full House series where I would just audible to HB Off Tackle or Read Option to that "jet" guy (you can do Triple Wk too).

One season in one of these ODs, I explored using that same concept but for a Wing T style. And I came up a with a few things. It's been a while so the specifics may be hazy, but one of the things I did was take Shotgun Empty Y Flex as a base, with my HB in the left slot and 2 TE to the right at the Y and also the right slot. Giving you a base of:

--------X----------------T-G-C-G-T------------------Z--------
----------------HB------------------TE------TE----------------
-------------------------------Q--------------------------------

Then just had a built in set of audibles all based out of Wing Trips Wk (or Trips Y Flex). Typically one was Buck Sweep (or Buck Read), one was Read Option, one was Wrap and I dabbled in some Inverted Veer. The audible is more or less seamless, with the HB coming straight into the backfield and all other players remaining the same. That gives you something close to what you're looking for. You essentially have created Jet Buck, Jet Read (Backside DE), Jet Veer (Frontside DE), Fake Jet Counter/Wrap.

The downside is you eat up most of your audibles with one series of plays, which is ultimately why I stopped doing it. But if you limit it to one aspect of your offense, call it your Empty Wing T series and balance it with other series of plays that are already built in to the game like the Gun F Twins Over stuff or under center Jet/Fake Jet Dive/PA stuff, you have one more thing to attack the offense with and keep them guessing while getting the same type of action you're looking for.

If I recall correctly, and again I'm going on memory of something I labbed 8 months ago, there are a few other formations where this type of action works. Empty Trey to Y Trips Wk might work as well, but don't take my word on that. There are a few Empty formations where the #5 man on the field actually lines up on the right, making the audible series impossible.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've long wanted to run a sort of Gun Wing T offense to take advantage of an athletic QB. Had I kept that guy at QB this year in Powerhouse, I was thinking about doing something like it. I think there are ways to make it work within the framework of the game, but you have to be dedicated and have to have the right personnel. Athletic QB, one (or more) very quick speed guys and good TEs. You also have to be completely okay with failure because there would be times the game just doesn't cooperate and you'd be left holding the tattered pieces of an offense together.

In my mind, I would imagine these groups of series, run at varying tempo:

12 Personnel:

Twin TE Slot
Twin TE Slot HB Wk
Wildcat Wing (you can get in and out of Wildcat Wing via no huddle in 12 personnel)

Empty Series:

As described above

Under Center (21):

Ace Big Bunch (End Around/Fk End Around Slash/PA End Around)
Weak Normal (Y Over Fly Series)
Strong I Twins (FB Dive/PA FB Dive/Toss)

A lot of damage to be done with those groups of plays, run at up-tempo in 3-4 play spurts. But again, it would take depth and a certain set of personnel.

fanoftgame

A little Georgia Tech flexbone and pistol flex action tonight.

I apologize for the quality. I just recorded it on a phone and on an old tv. Just thought you guys might like to a few drives. Even though they are short.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?

Tom Osborne's offense was a thing of beauty @TXHusker05. I built a book inspired by them, and I ran for over 300 yards. The option is actually blocked correctly! AND you can flip the plays. The book has a ton of West Coast staples married with the option & spread running game.

I base out of I Formation with Iso,Slants,565 Sail, & Triple Option pass ass the formation audibles. I had everything I needed, but I did notice the CPU plays a 0/double 1i technique against Power I Tight, which blows up anything inside similar
to the 'bone.

I Form Normal
I Form Twins
I Form Y Trips
I Form Slot
I Form Tight
Ace Big
Ace Big Twins
Ace Slot
Power I Tight
Gun Split Slot (DAT COUNTER TREY TRIPLE OPTION!)
Gun Twin TE Slot
Gun Normal Y Slot
Gun Empty Spread

The question is how would this work against a user? Everyone plays aggressive option D, so I still have basically every under center run concept there is: Iso, Power, IZ, Stretch, Counter Trey, & Toss.

Tom Osborne's offense was a thing of beauty @TXHusker05. I built a book inspired by them, and I ran for over 300 yards. The option is actually blocked correctly! AND you can flip the plays. The book has a ton of West Coast staples married with the option & spread running game.

I base out of I Formation with Iso,Slants,565 Sail, & Triple Option pass ass the formation audibles. I had everything I needed, but I did notice the CPU plays a 0/double 1i technique against Power I Tight, which blows up anything inside similar
to the 'bone.

I Form Normal
I Form Twins
I Form Y Trips
I Form Slot
I Form Tight
Ace Big
Ace Big Twins
Ace Slot
Power I Tight
Gun Twin TE Slot
Gun Normal Y Slot
Gun Empty Spread

The question is how would this work against a user? Everyone plays aggressive option D, so I still have basically every under center run concept there is: Iso, Power, IZ, Stretch, Counter Trey, & Toss.

Too bad there aren't more fb plays like trap in the I form or belly. I would love midline and the double dive series. Wish EA devs knew more about football than what they saw on tv.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

to the 'bone.

I Form Normal
I Form Twins
I Form Y Trips
I Form Slot
I Form Tight
Ace Big
Ace Big Twins
Ace Slot
Power I Tight
Gun Twin TE Slot
Gun Normal Y Slot
Gun Empty Spread

I love my Osborne offense playbook, I basically designed it to be a carbon copy of those mid-90s teams and playbooks. I wish I could embed a PDF because I have copies of the actual playbooks. They are available online at some various places, I'll see if I can find a linkable PDF that I can post here.

My Osborne offense is:

Ace Big
Ace Big Twins
Ace Slot
Ace Y Trips
I Slot
I Normal
I Twins
I Twins Flex
I Y Trips
I Tight
Goal Line Normal
Flexbone Normal
Flexbone Wing Trips
Maryland I Wide/Tight
Power I Wide/Tight
Shotgun Spread
Shotgun Empty Spread

Inside zone, outside zone (stretch), counter, toss, HB dive/iso and FB dive/iso, triple option, load/speed option. No power except for the one in Power I and QB Power out of Gun Spread. Incredibly simple, relatively easy to run, surprisingly effective to throw from especially with a good TE.

I actually like the offense a lot vs users because most users do use aggressive option defense. That turns Triple Option into a glorified FB Roll play. If you have a good FB, you can just gash people with it. I know in @NavyHog's option offense, I think he'd prefer seeing aggressive option D too because he can just give that dive for 3-4 every play. If you really want to get on the perimeter with option, use load option and pitch it. But you have to be really careful with that because the angles get weird and occasionally you get a lot of traffic. My favorite time to run load option is when someone has an overhang DB or LB pressed to the line, the read typically becomes them rather than the DE and that is an easy pitch read.

My Pistol offense was built to be a carbon copy of the mid-90s Nebraska offense, just from the Pistol where the FB becomes the Pistol back and the traditional tailback/I-Back becomes a wing/slot player. Concepts are the same, inside and outside zone, counter, strong power is decent enough replica of a pin & pull zone stretch play and I use it as that. No toss, but significantly more effective option plays. Read option essentially replicates Nebraska's dive option, lead option replicates the G-scheme paired with sprint option, the various triple option plays typically turn into glorified FB Trap/Roll type of plays since I get aggressive option D 90% of the time.

Formations are roughly the same as well. Twin TE is essentially I-Normal, Twin TE Slot is I-Twins, Wing Over is I-Y Trips, Jumbo is I-Tight, etc. Pistol Ace, Ace Twins, Slot, Y Trips obviously direct copies.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Here is a PDF link to the 1997 Nebraska playbook, hopefully that works. The best part to me is the last two pages which has the previous year's plays broken down by times run, yards gained, touchdowns scored, etc.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I played around with both my original "Husker Power" Osborne offense and the default Air Force playbook in some exhibition games last night. God it is so much fun running offenses like that. Just to test I changed depth charts to put a "big" HB at FB since I know I don't have a FB at Nebraska in the OD. I ran the FB like 15 times for 80 yards, HB ran another 15 or so for 150. QB ran for 30 or 40.

Those offenses come unglued vs users though, too much aggressive option defense, too many overloaded boxes and press coverage. I really would love to run a multiple option offense, kind of like Air Force or Wofford runs. Similar to Georgia Southern, which itself comes from Sam Houston State, which also led to New Mexico's option offense. Just something option heavy but not 100% undercenter, because that would suck vs users.

After recruiting this year, I should have a bunch more athleticism in my offense. A true freshman ATH with 96 SPD will start at HB, backed up by the current backup to Poland who is 5'8" ~210 and a pretty solid between the tackle runner. I won't have a FB, or even a 2nd TE unless I move an OL to TE but I should have a decent enough HB situation and some athleticism at WR to run kind of an option oriented offense. QB play will obviously be the issue, I basically alternated pocket passer and option runner at QB this year and neither were particularly good.

I'd love to do something truly multiple. Some I, some Maryland/Power I, some Pistol, some Offset Gun, maybe some Flexbone, maybe even some Wishbone. I think it would be fun, don't know if it would necessarily work. As it is I was running an option heavy offense late this season and it wasn't great.

fanoftgame

I played around with both my original "Husker Power" Osborne offense and the default Air Force playbook in some exhibition games last night. God it is so much fun running offenses like that. Just to test I changed depth charts to put a "big" HB at FB since I know I don't have a FB at Nebraska in the OD. I ran the FB like 15 times for 80 yards, HB ran another 15 or so for 150. QB ran for 30 or 40.

Those offenses come unglued vs users though, too much aggressive option defense, too many overloaded boxes and press coverage. I really would love to run a multiple option offense, kind of like Air Force or Wofford runs. Similar to Georgia Southern, which itself comes from Sam Houston State, which also led to New Mexico's option offense. Just something option heavy but not 100% undercenter, because that would suck vs users.

After recruiting this year, I should have a bunch more athleticism in my offense. A true freshman ATH with 96 SPD will start at HB, backed up by the current backup to Poland who is 5'8" ~210 and a pretty solid between the tackle runner. I won't have a FB, or even a 2nd TE unless I move an OL to TE but I should have a decent enough HB situation and some athleticism at WR to run kind of an option oriented offense. QB play will obviously be the issue, I basically alternated pocket passer and option runner at QB this year and neither were particularly good.

I'd love to do something truly multiple. Some I, some Maryland/Power I, some Pistol, some Offset Gun, maybe some Flexbone, maybe even some Wishbone. I think it would be fun, don't know if it would necessarily work. As it is I was running an option heavy offense late this season and it wasn't great.

I think you can definitaley run it against users. The one thing you may want to consistantley run it versus users who blitz and and press alot is a wr who has good press release.

If they are man blitzing all game then run sweeps/toss , and throw to the wr all game untill they get out of it. Having a good route running TE will help alot too. Create mismatches for him vs. safeties and linebackers.

If he is forcing the give thats good run the play to the open A gap all game. Also will help you get the ball to perimeter on heavy blitzes with power/speed option.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Ran the Gunbone last night that I labbed against you previously with some changes. The biggest change is it's a 10 personnel base with Spread HB Wk and Flexbone normal as the primary formations. I was able to use the speed sweep to attack a double-eagle front, and I had some good PA plays. The problem is double-eagle fronts obliterated IZ. Thankfully, I had speed option, trap, and some other nice plays to complement the zone read/triple option concepts. I just couldn't move the ball consistently though. Meanwhile, my opponent just ran it up the gut all game. I also had some bad breaks (lag-induced missed FG's, busted reads on scrape exchange, and a half-ending QB fumble on a sack that went for a TD).

I think what I'm running now can work, but it needs more work. I think I'm onto something, but I need to lab it more.

Edit:

I've all but given up on a pro-style offense. It's far too easy for defenses to just kill you with blitzes without getting off big plays in the air. I remember an interview Bob Davie had when he first took over at New Mexico. He said:
Spread offenses are nothing new. When I was at Notre Dame, we used some option out of the Wishbone, but we never committed to it. After I left South Bend, I told myself if I ever put on the headset again, I would be running a triple option offense. Maybe not what we saw with Tom [Osborne] or with Paul Johnson but something that tips the numbers in the offense's favor. That's what we're going to run at New Mexico. We will be an 11-on-11 offense, we will score points, and we will control the clock.

That stuck with me. If an old dog log Davie has researched teams enough to know the option gives you an edge, there's no reason to not use it in the game. It may be cheese to run zone read 30 times, but if the defense can't stop it, it's on them.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
New Mexico's offense is a lot of fun. It is not dissimilar from what the Academies do, just from Pistol and Gun. A lot of H-Back stuff, a TON of motion, a bunch of split sets, some really interesting stuff. Someone on YouTube put up a few games worth of cut-ups of UNM's offense, they are a few years old but really helps get the gist of it from both all-22 and end zone views:

That is kind of what I have in mind at Nebraska this next season, blended with some under center stuff. New Mexico's OC came from Sam Houston State, which is where Georgia Southern's staff came from as well. They have one of the premier option/rush attacks in FCS ball.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I just tested the Army playbook in an exhibition game and had a lot of fun with it, felt like I was dominating with it... scored only 13 points and turned the ball over 4 times. I ran 48 times for 208 yards and threw 16 of 30 for 234 yards. I feel like I pass better from these formations than I run.

I did enjoy Army Split, Wingbone and Wishbone though, maybe if I want to integrate a little under center stuff into my normal offense, I should look there instead of trying to do Flexbone.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I just tested the Army playbook in an exhibition game and had a lot of fun with it, felt like I was dominating with it... scored only 13 points and turned the ball over 4 times. I ran 48 times for 208 yards and threw 16 of 30 for 234 yards. I feel like I pass better from these formations than I run.

I did enjoy Army Split, Wingbone and Wishbone though, maybe if I want to integrate a little under center stuff into my normal offense, I should look there instead of trying to do Flexbone.

Beware the wingbone pass pro is borcked. Also the counter trey play out of those formations suffers from the QB keep glitch.