• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Option Offense

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
I started a thread on the Option in oldtopia, and now here it is again on Nutopia. My mega-dynasty uses the option attack. Actually, it's more of a spread-flex system that incorporates these formations:

Flexbone - Every variation
Wingbone - Every variation
Wishbone - Wide
I Form - Normal
Power I - Strong
In NCAA 13, I added the Far - Pro formation.

I tend to use the Triple Option and Tr Ctr Weak a lot, as well as read. I used to go no-huddle with this, but later in my dynasty I reverted to normal tendencies. Among the generic playbooks on 14, Spread Option is my cup of tea, of course.

What about the rest of you? Share your videos on your option offense formations, and so on.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I tried to make a balanced option attack, but it struggles against elite competition. If your line is not incredible, prepare for a long day because the passing is subpar. It's not just the plays but the pocket protection is a lot shorter for formations like Flex Slot/Trips. It's really quite depressing that this offense has been neutered over the last few years.

I have considered running a Wishbone offense. Against users, some of my best success has been with Wishbone Tight using zone, toss, and blast runs and then hitting up top to the TE.

fanoftgame

The problen I ran into with undercenter option is the lack or just str8 off tackle runs. No option just hand offs or qb power type runs.

I played against slackerelli one of the better option guys on ps3. We both ran flex. We ended up playing slopoy games because if you get into the bear front and force the dive the offense is in trouble. There us no room for the fb against a bear defense. If you logically tried load play its to cloudy to read this year(although you can make it a blind read if you know your opponent doesnt switch option rules). I would switch option rules so he couldnt make blind reads on speed or load. So we ended up passing more often then not or runnig cntr dive/ sweeps all game.

I would have loved to run flexbone kind of like spread teams run their offense. Single back direct hand offs vs 2 high. Triple vs 1 high. Sweeps and quick passing vs cover 0. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Since we have a few option guys in t the spread thread. Let's revive this one. Any one catch the army game? Monken's team looks much better than last year's.

Atmore

Since we have a few option guys in t the spread thread. Let's revive this one. Any one catch the army game? Monken's team looks much better than last year's.
I have the Army game DVR'd was probably going to gwt to it tomorrow.... Watching the Fl St vs. Citadel tonight....
I DVR any option team that runs option and will fast forward to watch them on offense only lol.... Was like WTF watching GT vs. Wofford because Wofford changed offense from wingbone to shotgun.... Wofford Wingbone was nasty but I'm on a serious hunt to find any GA Southern footage.... I know they play GT in 2 games but GA Southern has always had the best Flex offense

Atmore

....back to Option or atleast flexbone I am really trying to find a way to make the regular Dive play work.... no matter I think the correct read/time to run it or how the Oline will block it doesn't work out consistently.... Even in user games the Oline gets blown up or they block wrong

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Getting very pissed off in regard to audible/no-huddle snafu's. Yesterday I audible to a WB Toss, my left and right side of the OL switch (WTF? LOL) and then my QB tosses it fwd into my OT back. Any speed sweep, WB or WB dive is FUBAR if it's an audible or no huddle.

Getting very pissed off in regard to audible/no-huddle snafu's. Yesterday I audible to a WB Toss, my left and right side of the OL switch (WTF? LOL) and then my QB tosses it fwd into my OT back. Any speed sweep, WB or WB dive is FUBAR if it's an audible or no huddle.
Yeah. I don't run the no huddle for that reason. I haven't had a problem tho if the audibled play is ran to the right. But like I said, I like to huddle up so I am not exposed to it as much as others.

I have the Army game DVR'd was probably going to gwt to it tomorrow.... Watching the Fl St vs. Citadel tonight....
I DVR any option team that runs option and will fast forward to watch them on offense only lol.... Was like WTF watching GT vs. Wofford because Wofford changed offense from wingbone to shotgun.... Wofford Wingbone was nasty but I'm on a serious hunt to find any GA Southern footage.... I know they play GT in 2 games but GA Southern has always had the best Flex offense

GS is on a few times this year since they moved up to the FBS. They have been on WatchESPN the last two weeks but I haven't gotten the chance to watch them. Last year's GS coach is the new coach at Army. I really like what he is doing, but it's only been one game. GS new head coach is from Sam Houston St. which I have followed for the last few years. He runs a pistol triple option and it is fun to watch. From what I have read he is running the pistol at GS too and they just dusted Savannah St. on Saturday so it sounds like he will do well there. The Navy game wasn't televised in my area :(.

I DVR all of the teams I like to watch which are either power run teams or option. I haven't gotten to watch New Mexico or AFA yet, but they are saved on my DVR. At the very least we can use this thread to discuss the games/schemes/coaches of the previous week.

Last edited:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
For me it doesn't matter if it's right or left, either way my QB is dead meat.

Atmore

If I no huddle I stay in the same formation, I pass mainly and if I run It would be Sting, Quick Option. If it's a triple option I only run it to whatever side the play is designed no flip.... the main thing is after the play I just sit there let the players get in position then find my play to call.... I no huddle when thwy come out in a defense I know I can take advantage of or I know the Dive read is automatic

Atmore

Yeah. I don't run the no huddle for that reason. I haven't had a problem tho if the audibled play is ran to the right. But like I said, I like to huddle up so I am not exposed to it as much as others.

GS is on a few times this year since they moved up to the FBS. They have been on WatchESPN the last two weeks but I haven't gotten the chance to watch them. Last year's GS coach is the new coach at Army. I really like what he is doing, but it's only been one game. GS new head coach is from Sam Houston St. which I have followed for the last few years. He runs a pistol triple option and it is fun to watch. From what I have read he is running the pistol at GS too and they just dusted Savannah St. on Saturday so it sounds like he will do well there. The Navy game wasn't televised in my area :(.

I DVR all of the teams I like to watch which are either power run teams or option. I haven't gotten to watch New Mexico or AFA yet, but they are saved on my DVR. At the very least we can use this thread to discuss the games/schemes/coaches of the previous week.
Didn't know the coaches switched up like that.... I watched some of Air Force game and it was typical missed oppurtunities with open WRs....

Didn't know the coaches switched up like that.... I watched some of Air Force game and it was typical missed oppurtunities with open WRs....

I know AFA lost but I am looking forward to watching it anyway. Army's QB Angel Santiago was really effective through the air. At one point he was 6-6 but they were all big plays down the field from play action.

Atmore

I know AFA lost but I am looking forward to watching it anyway. Army's QB Angel Santiago was really effective through the air. At one point he was 6-6 but they were all big plays down the field from play action.
I wish run/pass commit was out of the game and play action was more effective

I know I keep saying it but Army's offense was something to watch! They actually use a TE regularly! I love it. Anyone care to do a write up on their offense? I am currently finalizing mine but it won't be done for a week or so. I keep adding and subtracting stuff. It doesn't help that I can't shake my love for the power game. Currently, my book has a few pro sets, but I may add more. I like to keep my books at no more than 20 formations and I'm currently 15. I will finalize my audibles and do some testing with what I have this week.

Atmore

I know I keep saying it but Army's offense was something to watch! They actually use a TE regularly! I love it. Anyone care to do a write up on their offense? I am currently finalizing mine but it won't be done for a week or so. I keep adding and subtracting stuff. It doesn't help that I can't shake my love for the power game. Currently, my book has a few pro sets, but I may add more. I like to keep my books at no more than 20 formations and I'm currently 15. I will finalize my audibles and do some testing with what I have this week.
Watching Army vs. Buffalo now.... I hate they changed the Speed Options in 2014 and the B-Back doesn't go out as a lead blocker anymore.... only in Flex Close does he go out as a blocker

Watching Army vs. Buffalo now.... I hate they changed the Speed Options in 2014 and the B-Back doesn't go out as a lead blocker anymore.... only in Flex Close does he go out as a blocker

I never include flex close in my books. After watching Army use split wing X & Z and normal i'm debating if I can pull that off too. I doubt it since the splits are too close and all the plays aren't there in the split wing sets.

Last edited:

Atmore

I never include flex close in my books. After watching Army use split wing X & Z and normal i'm debating if I can pull that off too. I doubt it since the splits are too close and all the plays aren't there in the split wing sets.
Army did alooooooooooot of plays that are not in the game but Flex Close is a Gem! Counter Option "gives" can easily be taken to the house.... There is a pass play in that formation that damn beats all coverage no changes.... I play in Normal and Close mainly then Twins to stretch the defense.... Wing trips just for a different look and get a mismatch

Atmore

This the play I call it when I'm on one of the far hash marks.... whatever side the B-Back is running his pattern is always towards the short side of the field (so by play diagram that's the right side)

So Triangle and Square beats man
X and Circle can beat alot of coverages but say it's Cover 3 if your patient the defender in the flats zone will trade off of X to cover R1 and that's when you gun it to X.... or even Circle in the little gap between say purple zone or LB in Yellow

uploadfromtaptalk1410247142526.jpg

Atmore

One thing about Close unless they press WR straight put the huddle it's so much easier to know if they are on zone or man.... so from a passing perspective look at the compressed/ tight sets in shotgun and you can make those yourself

d4b8b96bff68370825c89aaae1fe4a21.jpg

Close Corners or Playaction Corner Flat do you know how many plays you can make with this? Send both A-Backs on drags.... Put one on drag and one slant.... put one on slant the other drag and one Wr on Streak and etc....
uploadfromtaptalk1410247918849.jpg

Atmore

Another favorite pass I use from Close.... this is for short yardage or inside the 10 with ball in the middle of the field....Hike the ball run right (if QB is right handed) about to steps then drop back and your A-Should ne open if not check the Safeties for the WR running similar route.... then you have the C route or B B-Back out the backfield for a check down

uploadfromtaptalk1410248391760.jpg

Atmore

This guy thought he could stay with his option defense set on Aggressive all game.... when you know this go to Flex Close and run Triple Option Cntr and read your blocks (notice how I set the Safety up by going in then going out)

fonzilla

This guy thought he could stay with his option defense set on Aggressive all game.... when you know this go to Flex Close and run Triple Option Cntr and read your blocks (notice how I set the Safety up by going in then going out)

Was that a user game??

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Thing is that guy is an idiot sitting in a 3-3-5 with 5 guys on the short side of the field. The smart players, most of the guys I play on here, put option on aggressive and clobber the middle for the give to the FB. To bad WB toss is a flawed play. To win I mostly have to pass with a few occasional decent runs on the option pitch. I'm not complaining because I enjoy the challenge, but I rarely see such a clean "give".

Sweet run. How fast is that FB?

Last edited:

Atmore

Thing is that guy is an idiot sitting in a 3-3-5 with 5 guys on the short side of the field. The smart players, most of the guys I play on here, put option on aggressive and clobber the middle for the give to the FB. To bad WB toss is a flawed play. To win I mostly have to pass with a few occasional decent runs on the option pitch. I'm not complaining because I enjoy the challenge, but I rarely see such a clean "give".

Sweet run. How fast is that FB?
Yeah your right but I was just showing another example.... This guy was run commiting and I still was able to run option and get pitch off.... this wasn't one of those plays though lol.... Online I use Texas and use all RB's their personal are perfect for flex.... I had another guy I had 200+ yards on but he made the game freeze so I couldn't record any highlights.... he was in Bear fronts and Clogging the middle..... I may not be the best I will over time find something that works and when you do something else will open up

Last edited:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I play in a OD in another league and the guy I was playing wasn't very good and I don't know if he knew about gameplan settings. Anyway long story short I ran for around 300 yards (9 min qtrs) and 130 of them was to my FB. Nothing to big like you were showing, but a lot of consistent 5-12 yard gains.

However, most of the guys on here are much harder to gameplan for.

Atmore

I play in a OD in another league and the guy I was playing wasn't very good and I don't know if he knew about gameplan settings. Anyway long story short I ran for around 300 yards (9 min qtrs) and 130 of them was to my FB. Nothing to big like you were showing, but a lot of consistent 5-12 yard gains.

However, most of the guys on here are much harder to gameplan for.
Yeah it was the same for me in my old dynasty before alot of people just kinda slowly quit but basically my Flexbone is 10 times better than before.... I played a guy in my old dynasty 3 games and figured out Flex Twins Triple option Str is good for 4-2-5 or 4-4 because he was taking away the dive and the exchange is slower I had time to figure out my next move rather to cut up or stretch out option.... then Speed Sweeps to get him to blitz outside then QB Midlines back up the middle.... then started passing.... I lost one.... won the second but the third I had like 4 INTs and a fumble no way I was gonna win lol.... When I play in these lobby games I want to win but I been forcing myself to run, run, run and run to try and figure things out against all the crazy different fronts you will see with this offense

fanoftgame

Just won an online ranked game Navy vs Oregan user 31-14

183 yrds rush 226 yards passing his record was about .500 but it still felt good putting in that work.

He quit in the 4th lol

Atmore

Just won an online ranked game Navy vs Oregan user 31-14

183 yrds rush 226 yards passing his record was about .500 but it still felt good putting in that work.

He quit in the 4th lol

You was Navy? If so that's impressive with a team like that I play with Texas because they have everything I need online and match up against the Fl St and Ore users

fanoftgame

Go another one:grin: User was 90-53. He took the Buckeye's to Annapolis thinking he was going to get an easy win. Left with and OT 2point conversion Goalline stand loss.:cool:

I did have to pass more this game band run mor pistol flex because my reads undercenter were bad. How do you guys consistantly make the right read undercenter. I never have issue in pistol or shotgun, I think because of the timing of the read. Undercenter the read seems to be faster than the give pull animation by the defender. So what looks like a pull read say midline would be easy to see as give in shotgun if I would have a split secound longer for lineman animation to run its coarse.

I try going into practice mode and cpu games but they don't mix it up and its usually the pull read. The give read where the animation isn't finished is hardest for me.

Any tips.

Atmore

Go another one:grin: User was 90-53. He took the Buckeye's to Annapolis thinking he was going to get an easy win. Left with and OT 2point conversion Goalline stand loss.:cool:

I did have to pass more this game band run mor pistol flex because my reads undercenter were bad. How do you guys consistantly make the right read undercenter. I never have issue in pistol or shotgun, I think because of the timing of the read. Undercenter the read seems to be faster than the give pull animation by the defender. So what looks like a pull read say midline would be easy to see as give in shotgun if I would have a split secound longer for lineman animation to run its coarse.

I try going into practice mode and cpu games but they don't mix it up and its usually the pull read. The give read where the animation isn't finished is hardest for me.

Any tips.
Maaan I might have to bring Navy out in an online game but what camera view do you play on? Coordinator Cam makes it easier to pass and option reads.... What I do is just stare (LITERALLY) at whatever player is my dive read.... if the play is right and his first move is diagonal (down to the left) towards you it's a keep if his first steps are straight down it's a give....

Even with QB Midline you should run the play to the DT on the outside shoulder of your G....(running to the right) if the DT goes towards the Guards left shoulder it's a keep....if he more towards his right or straight down give.... you seem to be doing good regardless

Atmore

OK Atmore between you and watching Navy over the weekend I'm gonna add flex to my pb.
This is something I do.... In my offline Dynasty I will play a while game using 1-2 formations.... last night I played in Flexbone TIGHT.... I normally only use the Cntr Triple Option as Redzone play(Its an automatic give no Dive Read Player....run play towards DT in between C-G)and that formation was very effective creating mismatches.... I'm going to try it out more in an User game later though

I just don't like tight. There is something about it that I can't get my head around. I basically treat my A-Backs more like wings in the Wing T. I take speedy guys and groom them via the FB or TE slot so they improve their blocking skills. I like having the split end in there to spread things out a bit. One of these days Atmore we will play a lobby game whenever I get some free time. I am really looking forward to testing my skills against you.

Atmore

Flexbone Tight "PA Switch"

This guy was stacking the box and actually timed himself blitzing right buuuuuuuut he thought it was an option play.... I have 3 people wide open lol....

Flexbone Tight "Flood"

He sold out to stop run and kept run commiting on the goalline.... so -->

fanoftgame

when defending the flexbone normal formation what personel do you like. The b backs are a pain in the azz from a matchup perspective. Thy are too fast for line backers but stronger than dbs in running game. I just recently found the nickle lb ss swap group which to me is a better matchup. What I would ideally have is to safties subbed for the outside backers who would be fast enough to cover but also strong enough to play the rb's block.

How do you guys feel about the wingbone? I like the concept but the plays all seem broken and/or ineffective. The only plays that work well are the option plays, but I need standard run plays to make my offense go.

Atmore

I just tried to play a game with NAVY and it was like pulling teeth! They are so slow EVERYWHERE! I still ran for 161 and passed for 189 but it was not easy playing against Texas. The most frustrating part was the QB missing open men. At one point I ran the same play 3 times and he missed an open player every time smh and lol....I ended up losing 36-20 because of plays like the one I just mentioned happened to be unconverted 4th downs inside my 30 lol.... I would have easily beat this guy using my usual Texas but oh well it was kinda fun at times

Atmore

How do you guys feel about the wingbone? I like the concept but the plays all seem broken and/or ineffective. The only plays that work well are the option plays, but I need standard run plays to make my offense go.
Wingbone is not diverse at all.... The pass plays such so I don't use it.... I like having the threat of 3 possible Rushers or 5 possible Receivers every play

With all that said the running to me is better than Flexbone.... The HB Dive, Toss, and Speed Options are definitely better in Wingbone normal

Atmore

....after some messing around in my offline dynasty and I figured out how to really run the trap option reads for dive and triple.... I need to experiment against a 3 man front to make it official

JAR201166

I was watching the Jsu game saturday an noticed they ran a veer triple option anyone ever seen that? Wish it was dvred so I had a video...

Atmore

Just took down an fsu user with navy online 24-20. 117 yards rushing 221 in the air.

You can't come into Norfolk unprepared for the flexbone thinking its going to be sweet :cool:.

Underdog victories ftw.

Just wanted to share that with my fellow flexbone/option users.

edit: here is very poor quality vid of the last defensive stand a recorded on my phone. Just n case anyone wanted to see.

If you can stand the quality and would like to see more offensive drives i'll post.

I suggest 360 or 480 p so you dont see the blurred lines on my old tv lol​

Man I thought I was going to see some option lol.... Good stuff though I gave up on using Navy because the passing was so bad....

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I was watching the Jsu game saturday an noticed they ran a veer triple option anyone ever seen that? Wish it was dvred so I had a video...

They've been running stuff like that all year. It's available on WatchESPN.

They also have a sweet jet sweep series I broke down a few months ago.

fanoftgame

@Atmore

I had some option clips of that game at the time but nobody replied so I thought no wanted to see it. I think I deleted the clips off my phone but I might have one left. If I do I'll post.

KATOblaze

I know this thread is kind of dead but I'm looking for something different and my biggest question is how is anyone attacking the perimeter when the box is loaded abd the option d is always a give read

JAR201166

I know this thread is kind of dead but I'm looking for something different and my biggest question is how is anyone attacking the perimeter when the box is loaded abd the option d is always a give read
You can still pitch off the DE an it works sometimes