• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Pac-12 Thread

NML

It was pretty clear I didn’t say yes to the bet. I would’ve taken a line of like 10 but you bitched out.

I’ll always look to money mouth with homers

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Skeeter vs NML?

giphy.gif

-YTC

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
2019 USC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Aug. 31: Fresno State
Sept. 7: Stanford
Sept. 14: at BYU
Sept. 20 (Fri.): Utah
Sept. 28: at Washington
Oct. 5: BYE
Oct. 12: at Notre Dame
Oct. 19: Arizona
Oct. 25 (Fri.): at Colorado
Nov. 2: Oregon
Nov. 9: at Arizona State
Nov. 16: at Cal
Nov. 23: UCLA

TWO Friday games, Larry Scott?

Mikeleachfuckyou.gif

Larryuuuuuu! Laryuuuuuu!

Man, other than UofA and probably Cal - not many gimmes on that schedule. Prolly be 3 point underdogs to BYE, let alone BYU.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Schedule looks pretty weak.

Appropriate for a pretty weak team, then.

Fresno always plays us tough. The narrative is that "these are kids who feel jilted that USC never offered them, and they want to show the dumbfvcks at SC they belonged in big boy footbaw all along!"

The reality is that they're a pretty decent footbaw program in their own right, for a mid-major that rarely gets any press, while SC is a perennially overrated program because of all the flashy CROOTS we get out of the L.A area.

We get Furd, Oregon, and Utah at home, but also go to Washington and ND.

Honestly not sure what 2019 will look like. KK getting hired on as OC gives me hope that at least the offense should be improved, but the fact is that the head turd is still in charge, and he's an offensive-minded guy, so I don't know how much autonomy Kingsbury will be given to run his offense, or if Paulay Helkett will meddle in it to ensure that we only score points in the first half.

Craig7835

I don’t think Kliff would’ve gone somewhere he can’t run the offense he wants

Then again the same was true about Matt Canada and LSU...

You gotta understand about Matt Canada's situation that was more of Eddie O handicapping him & changing the offensive gameplans. Watch the bowl game LSU was in against Notre Dame,Odgeron made his business to sabotage Canada's offense in that game

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You gotta understand about Matt Canada's situation that was more of Eddie O handicapping him & changing the offensive gameplans. Watch the bowl game LSU was in against Notre Dame,Odgeron made his business to sabotage Canada's offense in that game

That’s what I mean. Canada was told he could run his offense the way he wants and then that turned out to be false.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Helton basically shoved Tee Martin over and told him he was gonna run the offense now, after Martin proved woefully incapable of running anything other than recruiting (which he was actually very good at).

So I don't know if Helton will actually allow KK to be semi-autonomous as an OC, or if he wants KK as basically a caddy and sometime offensive consultant while Helton goes back to running the offense (into the ground).

Soonerfan09

Helton basically shoved Tee Martin over and told him he was gonna run the offense now, after Martin proved woefully incapable of running anything other than recruiting (which he was actually very good at).

So I don't know if Helton will actually allow KK to be semi-autonomous as an OC, or if he wants KK as basically a caddy and sometime offensive consultant while Helton goes back to running the offense (into the ground).
I don't think many teams would hire Kingsbury and not let him call plays.

Brick

the league is just so boring now. outside of MINSHEW the offense in this league is downright shit right now. i think that is the main problem. and is it gonna get better? thought cal would be rolling at this point with baldwin, oregon can barely score a TD with NASHNUL arm talent, arizona wasted tate. why isn't washington better? it is just not gonna be a good league if not built on offense.

Wooly

I am pretty sure it's associated with fewer kids playing football in youth and high school programs in California, and most of the country really. It's still king in the south, but you see the foundation of youth football taking a hit all over the rest of the country now.

Even here in my area, which is not a football place by any means, you see significantly fewer kids playing youth football. The number of teams is down. There are only so many kids athletic enough to play CFB, and the numbers going down everywhere but the south has to make to harder for PAC 12 schools. It's just harder to get kids to travel far from home to play.

Of course FALK is from my town, but he is the rare exception (and he was developed in more competitive CA HS leagues before coming back to Logan to play here) around here.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I am pretty sure it's associated with fewer kids playing football in youth and high school programs in California, and most of the country really. It's still king in the south, but you see the foundation of youth football taking a hit all over the rest of the country now.

Even here in my area, which is not a football place by any means, you see significantly fewer kids playing youth football. The number of teams is down. There are only so many kids athletic enough to play CFB, and the numbers going down everywhere but the south has to make to harder for PAC 12 schools. It's just harder to get kids to travel far from home to play.

Of course FALK is from my town, but he is the rare exception (and he was developed in more competitive CA HS leagues before coming back to Logan to play here) around here.

Lol @Wooly - you sound like another poster on another board I frequent who laments the state of football in America, especially in the West, and especially as it pertains to the waning fortunes of USC football.

Basically he laments the changing demographics (Asians and Latinos make lousy footbaw players) of the student body, the state, and the West in general.

I counter that finding 85-ish freakishly athletic kids to play footbaw for you is no harder now than it was 20, 30, 50 years ago. Heck, identifying them is easier today because of the plethora of camps, skills seminars, private coaches and the like.

The overall number of kids participating in football might be lower as a percentage of the population, but I think the kids who do participate in it are better trained and more highly skilled on the average than their dads and granddads.

Wooly

Lol @Wooly - you sound like another poster on another board I frequent who laments the state of football in America, especially in the West, and especially as it pertains to the waning fortunes of USC football.

Basically he laments the changing demographics (Asians and Latinos make lousy footbaw players) of the student body, the state, and the West in general.

I counter that finding 85-ish freakishly athletic kids to play footbaw for you is no harder now than it was 20, 30, 50 years ago. Heck, identifying them is easier today because of the plethora of camps, skills seminars, private coaches and the like.

The overall number of kids participating in football might be lower as a percentage of the population, but I think the kids who do participate in it are better trained and more highly skilled on the average than their dads and granddads.
It is happening, but I not lamenting it. I would discourage my kids from playing football, hell even from playing sports. It wasted a lot of time for me growing up.

Football has a problem going forward because the youth game is shrinking. I agree the training is better, and finding athletes is easier, but that won't offset the trend down in interest and participation.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/...-are-playing-football-A-study-in-13319241.php

I don't know how much that affects teams in the west right now, but my guess is that it is. If you have to go further away from home to recruit, it's just harder. Some kids just won't go far from home no matter what.

CA has seen about a 1percent annual decline in HS football players for the past 10 yrs. At the same time, there growth rate is about 1percent per year. That says kids have been turning away from football, and it's gone on long enough to affect recruiting, I would think.

While the rest of the country is seeing declining numbers is youth and HS football, it's actually going up in the south. That means recruiting is getting even more skewed to the south. We are 10 years into this. That might contribute to the Pac 10 being down. USC can go get the kids from the south, but what about the mediocre programs? It's been getting harder and harder for them.

At the national level, youth flag football now has more kids than tackle football.

Wooly

He has a point about the football demographics too. Asians and Latinos are just smaller on average. No amount of training is going to make them big enough to play D1 football. CA demographic changes don't bode well for college football in the West. Not a bad thing per se, just reality.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
He has a point about the football demographics too. Asians and Latinos are just smaller on average. No amount of training is going to make them big enough to play D1 football. CA demographic changes don't bode well for college football in the West. Not a bad thing per se, just reality.

Well yeah. This guy laments the changing demographics for reasons besides football, too - so you can imagine why I dislike him. In the case of Asians, not only are they smaller, but they also tend not to participate in sports, period. Most Asian parents I know look at sports as diversion and recreation, not as something to put serious time and effort into, except as it pertains to helping their child earn a college scholarship. So that's why most of the ones who do play sports, tend to play individual sports like golf or tennis or swimming where size and athleticism is far less important than in team sports like basketball and football.

But this guy's particular beef, as I eventually sussed out, is that his kids did not get into USC, despite him being an alum and a donor, and basically he blames it on USC (like many other California schools) favoring admissions of foreign (mostly Mainland Chinese, Injuns, and Koreans) students over California resident kids.

He extrapolates the changing face of USC's student body as meaning there's less interest in USC football, meaning less donations, meaning less money to compete with the SEC big boys, which means a Western football program will never again come close to winning a title.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Well yeah. This guy laments the changing demographics for reasons besides football, too - so you can imagine why I dislike him. In the case of Asians, not only are they smaller, but they also tend not to participate in sports, period. Most Asian parents I know look at sports as diversion and recreation, not as something to put serious time and effort into, except as it pertains to helping their child earn a college scholarship. So that's why most of the ones who do play sports, tend to play individual sports like golf or tennis or swimming where size and athleticism is far less important than in team sports like basketball and football.

But this guy's particular beef, as I eventually sussed out, is that his kids did not get into USC, despite him being an alum and a donor, and basically he blames it on USC (like many other California schools) favoring admissions of foreign (mostly Mainland Chinese, Injuns, and Koreans) students over California resident kids.

He extrapolates the changing face of USC's student body as meaning there's less interest in USC football, meaning less donations, meaning less money to compete with the SEC big boys, which means a Western football program will never again come close to winning a title.

920x920.jpg

bruin

mique juarez left the program-once the 2 recruit nationally. saban was irate he stayed here locally, iirc..

you can go back to the 2015 class, besides chosen and meadors that class that was ranked in the top 10 turned out pretty bleak. believe 16 players of 22 signed never stayed within in the program for 2 years. ended up being mora's demise.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Would that class be seniors or 5th years now?

Only having 6 with the program for more than 2 years is pretty brutal. If you have a couple of classes like that, that can tank a program for a while. Michigan had to climb out of a huge hole because they had classes with similar numbers of washouts recently. Both under DickRod and Hoke.

bruin

It's been pretty rough. Right now there is only 70 scholarship players and three scholarship QB's for spring ball. Chip has said he always wants 5 on scholarship. I was hoping he'd be able to bring in a grad transfer this winter, but it didn't work it. He's basically cleaned house. I think something like 30+ players have left the program since he was hired.

Also, the recruiting tactic has been switched drastically. Tons more offers and the staff is getting out there. Maybe he didn't like the way the media was bashing him. Who knows. He deff is a different type of dude. A bowl bid would be a success imo this year.