• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

PES 2016 (ps4, this is not slovenia)

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
After probably 1000 seasons games over the last five years, endless puber fuckery, and a thoroughly enjoyable turkeys experience, whenever yankee was offline, I was on an amazon bender and picked this up.

Stay tuned for my impressions. Or don't.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
yeah, I don't even know what online looks like. Offline FIFA is so rote and predictable...

chibob

Will be interested to see how this turns out - always loved PES. Havent played it in years though.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Live from the bdub family school year beginning pep talk

tumblr_m9hj5tZY4z1qakgigo1_500.jpg

osick87

Community Liaison
I assume the Ute might be talking about the PC release which apparently is still a PS3 port.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Based on what you'll are saying about FIFA, if I buy a soccer game this year, it will probably be this one.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Undefeated in seasons after 1 game. Bayern 1-0 RM.

Plays very deliberate compared to FIFA. The menus and UI are lulz, but for someone with no idea what I was doing, I did ok in-game.

More to come...

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
PES menus are intentionally labyrinthian, it is much Japanese, such glorious Nippon. Half of learning the game is figuring that shit out.

Broadcast that shit ninja

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
So, this game is great.

After beating RM 1-0 in my first game, I have gotten absolutely demolished 4-0 in consecutive games, one seasons and one friendly. This guy that just beat me playing as Bayern to my PSG was some kind of savant, and it should have been 10-0.

He didn't get his second until 65' or so, but then his third goal was just the dirtiest linking of passes I have probably ever seen. Every one looked fluid, was weighted well, and just found spaces/lanes that don't exist in FIFA. Unfortunately they just have highlights after the match, not full replay, so I can't show all but the last pass, but the movement was so cool I just sat there dumbdounded as everything worked for him. That said, even though I was outshot probably 9-1 at one point, I still felt like I had a few looks with Ibra when it was 1-0 that I could have finished, had I some idea of timing. Matchmaking in all 3 games has taken about a minute.

I feel like everyone playing this game is very good, there are no pubers to beat up on- their press is crazy, I didn't get the ball out of my half for 15 minutes, but it didn't feel cheesy like FIFA, and getting beat up felt earned.

------------

I downloaded a bunch of kits and logos off pesworld, but when I went to import them it looked like a shitload of work, probably anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour per league depending on how much you want to edit. Player names and likenesses are in the game already, though, so it's just if you want the proper kit, logo, etc. and not "North London" and a generic kit for Arsenal.

They even have manager faces and shit, but without any identifying names, they were all a bunch of twink brits that I have no idea who they are...You can set up all kinds of ridiculous tourneys using the official logos, which makes it more official. I guess you can even edit stadiums, but fuck that...Honestly, if I could pay some puber $100 for a half-day to set everything up, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Having the ability to set up a proper champions league is nice, and there are a fuckload of international teams to use if you want to set up an African Cup @Zeek @Hart4Heisman, or libertadores, etc.

I think you could take the time to do the EPL and maybe, maybe, another division or the Bundesliga, and it'd be indistinguishable from FIFA, except there's no DONG, which is kind of a dealbreaker, but I'll allow it.

--------------

Gameplay wise, it's no contest, this game is much better. Just a more fluid, realistic game.

FIFA does most everything outside the actual game and the tournament options/depth better, at least what I've seen to this point.

I am going to play around a bit in offline, but aside from Turkeys, I don't see a need to play FIFA unless you are a hardcore EPL fan or you have no patience for PES's persistently bizarre UI. No verdict on career or anything yet, since I don't really get down with those.

---------------

Buy this game so we can run some friendlies, followed by an African tournament that we will all lose interest in around the third group game...

Last edited:

Bdub

The one gripe I have is the goal keepers are awful. If the CPU shoots it's going in 90% of the time.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I watched a few videos and it's crazy how weird it looks - just because at this point I'm so used to FIFA. It looks like of ham fisted but maybe that's a good thing in this case to distance itself as much from FIFA as possible.

I also saw some other really cool things, like honest to god early crosses (think Blind to RVP in the World Cup), bicycle or scissor kicks at good times, etc.

Have they really not improved importing yet? When this was on PS2/PS3, lol. It was like a science project getting modified team, league, and rosters uploaded. I figured now it would be nothing other than downloading and throwing on a USB stick.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
You have to manually assign whatever USB content you have. LAWD

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
I get on the sticks after about 10 beers and 3 bowls with this game every single time and end up losing 6-1 on the reg. But it's so fun. The press is brutal, almost impossible, and matchmaking is kind of limited (meaning you can't really ensure you won't face Bayern no matter what kind of quality team you choose), but whatever. This game is light years better than FIFA in feel and engagement.

Nothing feels rote, ever.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
The one gripe I have is the goal keepers are awful. If the CPU shoots it's going in 90% of the time.
I'm playing the fifa demo and this one trying to see what I like better. This comment is what is killing the game for me.

Being a novice at both, it's super annoying when pretty much every shot goes in. So far I've had more fun with fifa, the demo is way better, especially for a beginner. That said pes feels like it plays better, although to me not enough to justify it, besides goalies sucking. Maybe that Will change once I get one of the full games.

Right now I'm leaning fifa, if pes patches the goalies id probably go pes though.

Bdub

Yeah the goalie issue was what drove me away from it as well. Overall I think PES feels more like I think soccer should be. If they patch the goalie issues I will be playing it again.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I get on the sticks after about 10 beers and 3 bowls with this game every single time and end up losing 6-1 on the reg. But it's so fun. The press is brutal, almost impossible, and matchmaking is kind of limited (meaning you can't really ensure you won't face Bayern no matter what kind of quality team you choose), but whatever. This game is light years better than FIFA in feel and engagement.

Nothing feels rote, ever.

To me, it looks to me like Konami has done a much better job of actually watching real games played at the highest level and building some of the rarer, but still very feasible things into the scoring aspect.

I mean, rounding the keeper with a fake in FIFA seems nigh impossible. I considered myself above average online and I don't think I've ever successfully done it, even with a clean break and no pressure. The ball of course magnets right to them.

That long shot on the poor clear by Asamoah is something you literally can't do in FIFA no matter how good you are, because the weird physics of the ball (long headed clearances basically don't even exist) and the fact that unless you're just sitting on that midfielder and letting the CPU vie for the header, the guy always runs off in some stupid ass direction and the ball just drops, usually to the other team to counter with.

I may go PES next year. I haven't played FIFA in months. The old clubs crew has dwindled and the online Seasons mode is fucking dumb.

They're very obviously pouring every single resource they have into marketing FUT (I won't even say developing FUT, they hardly make significant changes year to year) and I don't think that's going to change.

Snorky's Shame

This is worst year for soccer games for a long time.

This game is decent game offline but it's a steaming pile of shit online. Can't defend, keepers suck, no fouls and MyClub sucks. Scripted games are in abundance as well.

The worst part is the promised option file import never came to pass and I have no time or desire to manual edit things anymore. Without the option to import files I'm not getting this game next year.