• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Rose Bowl: Oregon Vs Florida State

Brick

The media will play up the "US AGAINST THE WORLD" angle for Flazzu. Oregon will be favored (line opened at -8.5), and Mariota (Christ) vs. Winston (Satan) will fuel hype.

That's as much as I'll say about it.

I think it's as simple as Mariota vs. Winston performances, field goals (Oregon is shaky where FSU is nearly automatic), and turnovers. I don't see either offense having trouble moving the ball.

I'm concerned about Florida State's athleticism on defense, but they haven't shut anyone down this year. Teams have not had trouble running on them this year, and they are not good at getting in the backfield to force sacks (107th in country) or TFLs (52nd).

I feel good about the matchup, but playing a team that "just wins" is concerning.

Brick

#1 concern: Mariota's ability to run.

I think Flazzu did a good job of limiting big runs by Florida and Boston College's QBs. The atholetes are better and faster in space than any Oregon has faced this year. Keep in mind the Ducks didn't play USC.

Then again, those two teams (Florida and Boston College) posed an almost non-existent threat in the passing game.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Mariota is going to destroy FSU's defense. Better hope Oregon's D can get a stop against the Rapist though, otherwise Oregon will miss a FG to lose in classic Oregon fashion. Recruit a kicker for fuck's sake. Stop kicking field goals.

Brick

Oregon's special teams corch is great, but they haven't had a good kicker in a long time.

They tried and signed this kicker who was the #2 recruit in the country when he came out. He has been replaced by a local walk-on.

At least it's not Alejandro Maldanado. They are actually 15-18 combined this year, which is great, but I have no faith in anything more than 40 yards.

Schnieder was actually 3-3 against Utah with a 42 yarder, and 3-4 Friday. And in between that Wogan was 3-3 in games against Colorado and Oregon State.

But it's a Kicker 1, Kicker 2, Kicker 0 situation.

Brick

I doubt the crowd will be more Oregon than Flazzu fans. Even though Flazzu fans made the trip last year. It will maybe be even, with the neutrals supporting Oregon.

Aren't these games attended half by Lizard Oil and Fortune 500 Peeps anyway? @GR8 2 B FL G8R

fsuprime

I figure a bunch of pac 12 herp derp fans will come out from usc and ucla. It's already happening on the forum :)

Had some usc guys in front of us at title game last year just enjoying the game

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I doubt the crowd will be more Oregon than Flazzu fans. Even though Flazzu fans made the trip last year. It will maybe be even, with the neutrals supporting Oregon.

Aren't these games attended half by Lizard Oil and Fortune 500 Peeps anyway? @GR8 2 B FL G8R

Brick needs to join us in the Stock/Investment thread and walk the path to lizardhood with crude oil investments.

DanishDonut0

Oregon's special teams corch is great, but they haven't had a good kicker in a long time.

They tried and signed this kicker who was the #2 recruit in the country when he came out. He has been replaced by a local walk-on.

At least it's not Alejandro Maldanado. They are actually 15-18 combined this year, which is great, but I have no faith in anything more than 40 yards.

Schnieder was actually 3-3 against Utah with a 42 yarder, and 3-4 Friday. And in between that Wogan was 3-3 in games against Colorado and Oregon State.

But it's a Kicker 1, Kicker 2, Kicker 0 situation.

That miss on friday was awful though. I look forward to more of that on new years day

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn

I didn't think FSU traveled well?

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Most Noles fans live here already. Might make the trip just for kicks. tBD

Lightningwar

Administrator
To be fair the 3 worst defensive rushing performances were against team that rank high in rushing. Ironically we held GT to 7 yards below their avg last night.

My concern right now isnt Oregons offense. I know we will get lit up. My concern is their defense looks a lot better than it typically has in the past. If this turns into a track meet Im worried Oregons defense will shut us down on offense.

bruin

I figure a bunch of pac 12 herp derp fans will come out from usc and ucla. It's already happening on the forum :)

Had some usc guys in front of us at title game last year just enjoying the game

Good god, can only imagine the tailgating scene for this one. Rivals the ASU/Texas Holiday bowl from years ago?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I like the way Oregon looks this year with Roboqb, gigantor rb, and huge dlinemen... of course that means they will lose.

Brick

To be fair the 3 worst defensive rushing performances were against team that rank high in rushing. Ironically we held GT to 7 yards below their avg last night.

My concern right now isnt Oregons offense. I know we will get lit up. My concern is their defense looks a lot better than it typically has in the past. If this turns into a track meet Im worried Oregons defense will shut us down on offense.
It's not a great defense, but the thing that's a little bit different than in the past is they have two beasts on the d-line that are consistently pushing into the backfield.

It's a 3-4 scheme and Arik Armstead (6'8" 290) and DeForest Bucker (6'7" 290) are both strong and really athletic. They don't get bullied and they'll both play the whole game if they can. They are the first guys that Oregon has had in a while that wouldn't look out of place on a defense like LSU, Alabama, Flazzu. True atholetes.

The problem is they don't have depth and it's painfully evident here. Look at Arizona and UCLA. Oregon held Arizona to 3 points in the first half in Autzen. Armstead went out with an injury before half and Arizona ran wild. Then against UCLA, they had their worst game against the run of the season without Armstead. Otherwise they have been solid.

Since Flazzu hasn't ran for over 200 yards against an FBS opponent and is 104th in the country rushing, they should be okay there.

The two corners, Ekpre-Olomu and Troy Hill, are seniors who have played a lot. They don't blow coverage much and tackle very well. I think they'll do a good job against Flazzu's receivers. The nickel guys are shaky. Dargan, the senior S, has a lot of picks and Daniels is solid.

It's not a shut-down defense by any means. It's still largely bend-but-don't-break. The linebackers don't make many too many big plays. They're just mostly okay. Hybrid DE/LB types Tony Washington and Christian French do a decent job. Joe Walker will make a few big tackles.

It's mostly sack and TFL by committee. No one single guy you have to really worry about slicing into the backfield.

If Buckner and Armstead are wrecking shit like they did against Arizona, they'll be in good shape.

Last edited:

Brick

O'Leary is worrying me. Oregon hasn't really faced much of a threat from traditional TEs this year.

Green will do his thing but Hill and Ekpre-Olomu should at least keep him from running wild and make a few plays on the ball in big spots.

Can't believe Oregon is a 9 point favorite. I don't like mad atholetes. As the game comes closer I feel like more people will side with Flazzu.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Yeah, 9 points is insane. I can't remember a team with a similar resume getting less respect than FSU. I think it's some perverse punishment for Winston, IMO

Brick

i'm a bit wary of the talent/atholete factor on defense. i know they're young and haven't been good this year, but they still have faster/freakier guys than the better defenses oregon faced this year. michigan state and stanford are great, yeah, but they don't have the same level of talent. and oregon hasn't faced usc the past two seasons.

i think it's one of those things where either flazzu's defense shows up and makes some plays to give them confidence, or oregon runs over them all game. i don't see a middle ground.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
fsuprime probably gonna move the line to 6 by hisself.

Are we partying for this? Might could drive to the golf course

Lightningwar

Administrator
We are young on defense. But this is how I expect the game to go. We spend the first qtr out of position allowing huge plays by Oregon. If we can survive that initial onslaught and only be down 17 or less. Then we have a chance. If it is 21+. We will not find enough stops to get back in the game. This team had to replace a shitload of talent from last years squad. And a lot of those positions were filled with true freshman. I think beating this years Oregon is a tall order. But I will hold out hope since I will give this years squad one thing. They seem to figure out how to win. And all of those close games should help us if we can keep it close going into the 4th qtr.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Brick has it covered haha. I also get worried facing ridiculous athletes, even when it's a team that isn't statistically dominant (like FSU or kiffin's USC teams) just because the MATCHUPS can really fuck up oregon's offensive attack if there are a few freaks out there playing lights out.

To me doe, it's going to be the halftime adjustments that can decide the game reel quick. Both coaching staffs have shown that they can make good adjustments, and oregon's D generally tightens up as the game progresses. FSU wins a lot of games in the 4th. This could be like the Oregon Wisconsin rose bowl where a big fumble gave the ducks the seperation they needed to win it.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
B4_QRjKCEAIja5F.png

fsuprime

I like the way Oregon looks this year with Roboqb, gigantor rb, and huge dlinemen... of course that means they will lose.

one of the smallest DL and OL we will face all season, one of the few bright spots i see playing the Ducks haha, as brick said Robo QB has been playing great since their OL became healthy.

Try not to move to another major city once UF loses to ECU @GR8 2 B FL G8R

win or lose i will enjoy the weekend up in Santa Barbara after the game @TrojanMan

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@fsuprime is gonna lose his house when oregon blows them out

Nah, b. Now that FSU is the dog Jameis isn't even going to fuck around with his betting scheme of letting the other team cover the line and still winning. He can just play with his full retard stronk all game long and destroy Oregon.

Gimme the dogs in both Semi final games. This ain't ur da-da's OSU team either, they won't get blown out in typical OSU fashion with Corch Irving Fryar at the helm.

fsuprime

Unsure. We stayed downtown at a b&b and drove to the wineries last time.

Waiting for final plans for that part atm

Just bought game tickets yesterday.

Simo77

Nah, b. Now that FSU is the dog Jameis isn't even going to fuck around with his betting scheme of letting the other team cover the line and still winning. He can just play with his full retard stronk all game long and destroy Oregon.

Gimme the dogs in both Semi final games. This ain't ur da-da's OSU team either, they won't get blown out in typical OSU fashion with Corch Irving Fryar at the helm.
Full retard stronk is unresistible

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
That Alabama team was awesome and Florida had no skill position players left... He still kept it within 20 points (and the game was one score until midway through the 3rd)... and that might be one of the biggest Irving Fryar losses I can think of (other than getting crushed twice the year after Tebow).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/urban-meyer-1.html

You know what I'm talking about when I say "your daddy's OSU blow out." I'm talking losing 41-14 and never being in the fucking game at all.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Staying in Solvang @TrojanMan

luh me dat Solvang. Where are you staying? Wine Valley Inn is a good spot, if you haven't booked a room already.

Ebelskivers for breakfast? Fuck. Yes. Best ones are at a place on Copenhagen Dr. I can't remember the name, but it's the old school diner-looking place that has a walk-up to-go window for Ebelskiver orders. Also got to hit the Old Danish Fudge Kitchen (ha.gay sounding) on the corner.

Root 246 is a good restaurant if you want something nicer. East side of Alisal, and about a block south of the main drag.

If you go wine tasting.....favorite wineries are Demetria, Firestone, Curtis, Zaca Mesa, and Blackjack. And if you go into Los Olivos, there are two tasting rooms in town worth going to: Coquelicot and Tensley.

Brick

No apprent depth at corner, so this is a pretty awful loss. Third corner is Chris Seisay and he's a RSFr. It was Dior Mathis, and he's a senior, but was pretty much benched after getting torched early in the season.

Greene gon have a field day.

FUUUUUUU why couldn't they have lost a WR or LB or something? Cornerback and d-line have no proven depth. Maybe Seisay plays well. I don't know enough to make a judgment. He's not Olomu though, obviously.

Last edited: