• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Shampship Week Thread brought to you by Crootin shoes

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
And that's where the BCS went wrong. It was perfect between 1998 and 2004. The whining of USC and its' supporters were what prompted the switch to the human polls weighing twice as much as the computers.

-YTC

Who in the world thinks the BCS was perfect in all of its' selections? It was far from infallible, as evidenced by the debacle of the 2011 season. The point is that, with the BCS, you never had to worry about more than 2 undeserving teams getting a shot at the shampship. Every other system has a number higher than that. Therefore, no other system placed the importance on the regular season that the BCS did.

Now, you can lose to 4-8 teams, lose by a billion points, or lose to your rival by double digits in the last game of the regular season and still be in contention for the shampship. IMO, that's awful, and it's an awful thing for how awesome the regular season in CFB is.

-YTC

Truly a PERFECT system

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
If we keep going, this whole playoff sham may even let a team in with

lBgT3M.gif

losses in!

Hey, wait a minute...

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Precisely.

The BCS had to (in many occasions) choose between undeserving teams. I've argued many times that the BCS selected the wrong teams to play in the championship game. It was perfect, because you never had to worry that more than 2 (honestly, doe...1) undeserving teams getting a shot. No other championship format (other than EPL) can say that.

-YTC

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Precisely.

The BCS had to (in many occasions) choose between undeserving teams. I've argued many times that the BCS selected the wrong teams to play in the championship game. It was perfect, because you never had to worry that more than 2 (honestly, doe...1) undeserving teams getting a shot. No other championship format (other than EPL) can say that.

-YTC

Except between 1998-2004, it was PERFECT!

Imagine losing your final game by four touchdowns, not winning your conference, and still getting into the title game. Man, this playoff system sucks!

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Except between 1998-2004, it was PERFECT!

Imagine losing your final game by four touchdowns, not winning your conference, and still getting into the title game. Man, this playoff system sucks!

It was perfect.

The perfection isn't in the teams selected. The perfection is in the number of teams selected and the formula used to select those teams. If the problem is that an undeserving team gets a shot, then how would giving MORE undeserving teams be a great fix? News flash: It isn't.

-YTC

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Define "deserving." This is the dumbest argument.

You really think 11-1 SC was less DESERVING of a title than a team that got blown the fuck out in their last game? What about a Nebraska team that loses by 26 to fucking Colorado deserves a title over a one loss Oregon team?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

You really think 11-1 SC was less DESERVING of a title than a team that got blown the fuck out in their last game? What about a Nebraska team that loses by 26 to fucking Colorado deserves a title over a one loss Oregon team?

Which season are you referencing?

-YTC

NML

There’s no perfect system because footbaw has an extremely small sample size. With SSS, a playoff is definitely the “best” way to determine a champion.

NML

And this whole discussion means fuck all because decisions are made based on $$$ and not determining DA BEST TEAM

It’ll be a 16 playoff before long

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
There’s no perfect system because footbaw has an extremely small sample size. With SSS, a playoff is definitely the “best” way to determine a champion.

Completely agree with the first sentence. I'll just argue that the BCS was the closest thing to a perfect system in order to keep that SSS meaningful.

-YTC

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
The fucking basketball tournament has 68 teams and people still bitch about teams getting left out. There will never be any system where people don't bitch because people are bitches.

The shit will continue to get tweaked as they continue to see just how much money these playoffs bring it. My biggest problem is them playing on NYE. So fucking stupid.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni

2003 and 2001, i.e. some of the perfect seasons

I will readily admit that there are seasons where there are multiple "deserving" teams of a chance to play for a National Championship. However, I also readily admit that there are seasons where there are 1 or none "deserving" teams of a chance to play for a NC.

I'd happily embrace any system that had the smallest chance possible of allowing undeserving teams to win a NC, even if it means that deserving teams get left out some years.

-YTC

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
The fucking basketball tournament has 68 teams and people still bitch about teams getting left out. There will never be any system where people don't bitch because people are bitches.

The shit will continue to get tweaked as they continue to see just how much money these playoffs bring it. My biggest problem is them playing on NYE. So fucking stupid.

i think the reason people bitch about bball is b/c the gap b/t the haves and have nots isnt as wide as it used to be. There are some smaller schools that could, on any given night, get hot and upset a larger school. They added more teams to the tournament (imo) for the drama that may or may not occur. How many for sure teams got knocked out in the first 2 rounds over the past couple of seasons?

There should be an outlier for the USF's or whoever was undefeated this year. I stopped paying attention when LSU lost to Troy, AT HOME of all places, but have a play in game against somebody else who was on the bubble. But to just deny them is crazy

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
i think the reason people bitch about bball is b/c the gap b/t the haves and have nots isnt as wide as it used to be. There are some smaller schools that could, on any given night, get hot and upset a larger school. They added more teams to the tournament (imo) for the drama that may or may not occur. How many for sure teams got knocked out in the first 2 rounds over the past couple of seasons?

There should be an outlier for the USF's or whoever was undefeated this year. I stopped paying attention when LSU lost to Troy, AT HOME of all places, but have a play in game against somebody else who was on the bubble. But to just deny them is crazy

I, personally, bitch about the NCAA BB tournament because it makes for a completely meaningless regular season. A team could literally lose every single regular season game and still win the shampship.

-YTC

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I, personally, bitch about the NCAA BB tournament because it makes for a completely meaningless regular season. A team could literally lose every single regular season game and still win the shampship.

-YTC

thats what happened here last year in High School sports lol

the private/charter schools kept crying b/c they kept losing to the public schools in the playoffs

so they have a select bracket for those schools. I reffed a playoff game where both teams combined had 10 wins on the year. One team won 2, the other 8 :nebraskaman:

Gatorfan4life

UCF Alumni
Ive never understood the argument for the regular season diminishing in importance. To me, the regular season is as unimportant as it has always been when you consider it only ever mattered for less then half the schools in the first place. My schools regular season meant nothing this year, just like every other year. If anything, the expansion of the playoffs would actually give more teams regular seasons meaning so we can stop pretending we are all playing Division 1 football and actually start doing it.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Anyone have a guess who was ranked #1 in the first ever BCS rankings

It was Juicy, wasn't it?

As far as the whole playoff skebbable, I would have been happy with the "old" system, long before the BCS, and where teams were locked into their conference bowl matchups because it meant that multiple bowls all had national championship implications. In a year where say, #1-#4 were each playing in a different bowl, against four different opponents, it might be intriguing if say, #1 was playing a relatively weak #15 opponent, while #3 and #4 were matched up with say, #7 and #5, respectively. If #1 has a pedestrian win, while #4 destroys #5, it was conceivable that #4 leapfrogs everyone (in at least one of the polls) and is crowned champion.

The BCS, Imo, was the worst of both worlds because it rendered the above scenario impossible, and was essentially a playoff, albeit a two-team, one game playoff, which of course meant that it was merely a beauty contest. If you didn't start the season highly ranked (or were in the SEC) your chances of making it to the title game were very low, even with an undefeated season. 2004 Auburn is a perfect example of this. USC and Oklahoma both held serve, going wire-to-wire as #1 and #2 all year, while Auburn, with an undefeated record in the mighty SEC, was left out.

Lightningwar

Administrator

Truly a PERFECT system

I remember watching that game live. I dont even know what the NU defense was trying to accomplish. So baffling. But it seemed to set in motion Solich being fired 2 years later and 15 years of misery for NU.

I supposed like anything it can be a point in time to show the beginning of the end.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Meh, Deserving is a pretty open term too tho. If you lose to Northern Iowa in a loser goes home game you don't deserve to be national champions anyways (see Kansas the last 9 tournaments or whatever)

sayo

YEET
Yeah. The colors just look awful.

I forgot Ivin Jasper is Navy's OC. Dude barely played at Hawaii when I was a kid.