• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sports Bar Random Discussion Thread

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I've entered the sports wasteland that appears every year between the Superb Owl and the start of beisbol. Ughh, nothing but hockey and basketball on my favorite sports talk radio station. Wake me up on opening day or maybe spring training.
Good year to jump on the Stars wagon. They'll probably shit out in the playoffs due to defense issues but they score a ton

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

worst2first

My wasteland starts after the nba finals. Baseball and NASCAR don't do it for me.

It's a funny thing. I am not a real baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination. I doubt I could name more than a handful of players not on the Rangers' roster. Yet I have come to love going to Ranger games and following the team.

I'll watch March Madness because I love underdogs and they're still allowed to play defense in college basketball but other than that I have little to no interest.

@kella I have tried to get into hockey without luck. I appreciate it but I don't really enjoy it.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
My wasteland starts after the nba finals. Baseball and NASCAR don't do it for me.

This is me. That two month stretch between the end of the NBA Finals and the start of exhibition footbaw is torture. Like @worst2first, I'm a very casual beisbol fan (Doyers) but I really don't get that interested in baseball until after football has already started.

At least there's MLS Soccer.

sayo

YEET
I'm going to have to strongly disagree here. It's a common complaint about the nba, but an argument could be made that the league as a whole has the best defensive play ever. Players are more athletic than ever in addition to systems being more complex. Yes, they can't be as physical as before due to rule changes but they definitely helped the game more than harmed it.

My opinion is going to probably be unpopular here but the lack of offensive quality in the college game gives off the appearance that better defense is being played.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I'm going to have to strongly disagree here. It's a common complaint about the nba, but an argument could be made that the league as a whole has the best defensive play ever. Players are more athletic than ever in addition to systems being more complex. Yes, they can't be as physical as before due to rule changes but they definitely helped the game more than harmed it.

My opinion is going to probably be unpopular here but the lack of offensive quality in the college game gives off the appearance that better defense is being played.

You mean a 5'11" point guard dribbling out the game clock down 1 and heaving a 30 foot 3 pointer to win is not quality high octane offense?

worst2first

Look at the NBA in the 80s and compare it to today. That's when they were allowed to play defense.

I also don't like how much the refs influence the outcome of games. Far too many of the fouls called are purely judgement calls. If it isn't certain a foul occurred, let them play. It's clear that star players are treated differently by the refs than everyone else. I strongly suspect that the league intentionally manipulates games in order to get the matchups they want or to extend playoff series to increase revenue. I can't prove it, but things just fall into place to benefit the league too often for me to chalk it all up to coincidence.

Regardless of all of that though, I just don't find the NBA to be that entertaining. I know a lot of people do and that's okay. A lot of people like professional wrestling too.

sayo

YEET
Fair enough. They were allowed to be a lot more physical back then, but the team defense you see nowadays can't be matched. I don't know, it's just a great time for the league right now. The Spurs/Warriors are changing the way teams approach the game. It's crazy to think that just ten years ago, iso ball ruled the league and Detroit was winning conference titles by scoring 80 points. :Sleeping:

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Those detroit teams had gr8 defense. I dont know how they are being brought into this discussion. All Ben Wallace could do was play d. Tayshaun Prince had the length and speed to hang with virtually anyone. Rip Hamilton could lock down most 2s. Sheed could pull down the boards, which is partially defensive by not allowing 2nd chance points.

sayo

YEET
Oh my bad. I guess I bring up Detroit because that period was where a lot of fans fell off. There just wasn't a whole lot of entertainment there. Yeah, Detroit had a stellar defense but the league was still full of iso ball bullshit that plagued the early 2000s

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Yeah, the type of basketball played in the early and mid 1990s in the Eastern Conference was some of the ugliest, most unwatchable basketball ever. It was like Greek soccer every game in the East, with scores in the 80s all the time, and fouling galore. If that's great defensive basketball, then fuck great defensive basketball. Or perhaps you want to outlaw the forward pass in football as well?

The Spurs' championship run two seasons ago was some awesome team basketball, and only improved upon by what the Warriors have done the past two years.

osick87

Community Liaison
At my first NLL game aka Lacrosse for guys named Dougie.

The fights are basically hockey fights without having to worry about losing your balance. It is like a @GatorTD NHL fight.

osick87

Community Liaison
I didn't look at the roster that much.

The defending champs moved here because rent was cheaper and the only time I've seen the building more full was for Memorial Cup or the Brier.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
2020_Summer_Olypmics_Logo.png

Last edited:

Soonerfan09

I'm sure this has already been posted (prolly by Mak 6 years ago), but this is the first time I've seen it.

Fuck you! And fuck me! And fuck everybody!

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Sweet Jebus the Rio Olympics are turning into a Grade A+++ Dumpster Fire.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_...tries-pay-air-conditioning-rooms-rio-olympics

This runs the list to:

1) Sailing, Kayaking, Canoeing, Rowing, Swimming leg of the Triathlon, and Open Water Swimming to take place in open water rife with sewage, disease, and life-threating bacteria.
2) Athletes need to pay for air conditioning in the Olympic Village rooms. Thankfully, the average August high in Rio is only 78 degrees.
3) Venues to be powered by temporary generators

Rio Olympics.....Catch the Fever or Dysentery or MRSA or Flesh-Eating Bacteria or......

So, Australia try to check into their rooms in Rio today.

http://deadspin.com/rio-olympics-athletes-village-declared-uninhabitable-1784219622

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Hach, my man, i'on think you quite understand the purpose of this thread brah lol

please try posting these soccer related things in their appropriate thread

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
try to get this back on track

was gon post this in the NBA thread, but this transcends basketball

but Pop, doing Pop things

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/26/1...-kaepernick-national-anthem-protests-comments

"My players are engaged citizens who are fully capable of understanding what their values are, and what they think is appropriate and inappropriate, and what they feel strongly about. Whatever actions may or may not be taken are their decisions, and I’m not going to tell anyone ahead of time that if they don’t do A, B and C, they’re going to be gone or traded. I think that’s ignorant."