• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Stopping the no huddle

CJ_24

I'm sure this question has been answered a million times, but I'm lazy and entitled so I'm starting my own thread.

I got this game (ncaa 14) a while ago and I really dislike how much the cpu goes no huddle. It's unrealistic to me and, more importantly, it's a pain in the ass to stop. So what are some good base defensive packages to use to shut down the cpu (on default setting, I don't play often enough to mess around on difficult levels) and to keep them from marching up and down the field in the no huddle?

I tend to use a nickel a lot because the cpu always like to go spread, so the nickel gives me an extra db but still has enough lineman and linebackers to be in a position to play the run. I would prefer to use a 4-3 or a 3-4 as the base defense (as most defenses do) and I usually have athletic enough linebackers to cover a slot receiver, but the game, imo, usually tries to punish you for having the "wrong personal" in so if I go 4-3 against a 3 wr set, I usually give up yards. I don't like it, because I feel like it shouldn't be that big of a disparity, but I get it.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The easy answer is to tell you to stop trying to play defense in NCAA 14, because it'll never happen.

The hard answer requires a little more information. What are you doing on defense? Playing base zones, zone blitzes, man, etc.? Who are you usering? What is beating you?

In terms of too many teams going HUNH, I don't think it's too inaccurate, though I do think the speed they do it is unrealistic. They all go faster than Oregon. If you want to change it, you can go to Coach Info (I believe) and change the no huddle style (or whatever it's called) of the HC and OC of teams to Conservative or Balanced.

JAR201166

I don't have much of an anwser for the cpu because it tends to go into god mode. Break 8 tackles Qb hits every read right its awful but vs a user I would say you have got to stop the run first I like to use bear fronts where you cover up the guards. It slows down the inside zone plays always play the Qb on the zone read. If they start running outside a lot sneak in a corner blitz or contain the linebackers.

Schauwn

Versus the CPU, I'll stay in 4-3 80% of time, unless they go 4 or 5 wide, in which case I'll move into nickel. Out of both formations I tend to rely on Cover 3 quite a bit. I find that depending on the skills my DBs have I can sometimes give up the big comeback route or corner route to a good QB, but the play calling is so bad in the game that they wont keep going to it, forcing you to change. Instead they'll go to something else that wont work.

I'll usually play the safety that is going into the robber zone so that I can come up and play run D if my front 7 isn't doing well, or play the trips side if the CPU goes unbalanced. This will also help with slip screens and if your LBs are fast enough they should be able to get to their flat zone in time to take care of any bubble screens and if they aren't you can spread them towards the field so that they have a head start, this just leaves you susceptible to weak side runs.

CJ_24

Two more questions. How do I consistently contain the option? How can I consistently force more turnovers?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
How do I consistently contain the option?

The key is having a defender in the alley while keeping enough defenders in the A/B gaps to stop the dive read. From my experience, usering the Mike linebacker allows you to stop the dive and then audible an end or outside linebacker to spy the QB. You just have to remember to play your assignment. The option will probably still get three-five yards, but it won't break your back.

Alternatively, run Cover 3. The safety will drop down to the 2nd level, and the flat defenders will contain the run if they can get off receiver blocks. Note this does not work if the offense has the H back cross the formation as a lead blocker for the QB.

How can I consistently force more turnovers?

Against users, disguise your coverages. Use base align to show a Cover 2 look while actually running Cover 1/3. Use show blitz to hide the opposite.