• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Boxing Thread

bruin

After seeing what Fury did to Klit, I agree.

Just don't want to hear AJ is the next Lewis after beating up a 41 yo man.

Eddie Hearn knows what he's doing.

Now, Spence-Brook at the end of May. Spence can be a star here. Needs to win. Think Brook should have moved up to 154, but credit to him taking on his mandatory and fighting GGG and Spence back to back.

chibob

Great fucking fight.

HBO is showing their replay tonight at 8:00PT.

Agreed.

Was very impressed by Vlad.

That uppercut was insane by Joshua.

Still worried that he can't take hits. Seemed to lose his legs when Vlad landed a couple hooks.

The fight was fought at such a distance last night I kept thinking how did Mike Tyson always manage to get on the inside so much? Joshua with his power should really look to be more aggressive and force his opponents around the ring.

bruin

The fact that Klitschko stayed up from that uppercut-respect.

Mike Tyson had some of the best head movement in his prime that allowed him to get inside. Joshua likes to box more (see rounds 1-4), but when he comes out possessed and aggressive, it's something else.

Joshua's chin is still questionable. White hurt him a couple years back.

Don't want to wait for Fury, but he does deserve his chance.

Wilder/Joshua in the U.K. Is 'ugeee

chibob

I don't think Wilder is a good enough boxer.

For me he's in that class below the likes of Joshua, Klit, Fury

More likely we'll see Bellew v Wilder first but that will be a Wilder domination.

bruin

Wilder vs Bellew would be lame.

Wilder has the strongest KO power of any Heavy. He can lose to any top 5 Heavyweight, but he can also put any of them to sleep.

chibob

Wilder vs Bellew would be lame.

Wilder has the strongest KO power of any Heavy. He can lose to any top 5 Heavyweight, but he can also put any of them to sleep.

Undoubtedly a great puncher with great power but I think that's all he's got.

But agreed a Bellew fight would be boring and one sided. Early knock out.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Just saw the replay of Klitschko-Joshua.

I haven't seen as entertaining a heavyweight fight in a long, long time. Probably not since the early-mid 1990s with the likes of Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, a fading Tyson and a young Lewis, a rejuvenated George Foreman, etc. The heavies have been mostly boring since.

I was impressed by Wladimir's fortitude.

I am forever amused hearing a huge black guy speaking in a sing-song British accent. :laughing:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Canelo got ahead early, realized that Chavez couldn't possibly hurt him or win rounds, and just mailed it in from about Round 4 on. Boring boring boring, especially for a fight featuring two messicans.

At least there wasn't all the ghey Mayweather clinching.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Which one is the guy who eats unseasoned steak handed to him by sly?

bruin

That was basically a 3 hour promotion for GGG-Canelo. Biggest fight in Boxing. Just awesome. Jerruh is going to go all out to have it in his backyard in Jerry's world. 90k possibly.

I'll be surprised if JC JR ever fights again.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
That was basically a 3 hour promotion for GGG-Canelo. Biggest fight in Boxing. Just awesome. Jerruh is going to go all out to have it in his backyard in Jerry's world. 90k possibly.

Thought they said Vegas last night? Still up in the air on site?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

Surprised he ever went into boxing at all. Yes, I know his dad is as famous as they come in boxing, but boxing is probably one of the worst possible ways to make a living, unless you really have very limited options and/or are extremely talented in the ring.

JCC Jr., as the son of a rich and famous man, had basically unlimited options for ways he could choose to make a living. He clearly doesn't possess the talent of his dad, and probably doesn't have a shred of the hunger and drive his dad had (or any other came-from-nothing professional boxer). For him, boxing is just a hobby, and against any halfway-competent competition, he will be outclassed.

bruin

Thought they said Vegas last night? Still up in the air on site?

Yes. T-Mobile (where the fight was last night and is the favorite to get the fight) AT&T Stadium and MSG (Mecca, but not enough Messicans in NY).

bruin

Errol Spence Jr. vs Kell Brook in the U.K. this Saturday. Best welterweight fight this year. Spence gonna shit all over Brook.

2:15 PT on Showtime

bruin

Anthony Joshua was on Corden the other night.

Hopefully he fights in the states in the next year or so.

evil1

I could be talked into the Mayweather-McGregor PPV...depending on the undercard...and the price

52cfd8f4ad3cf23f5d08fce0fbc9dc4c.jpg

bruin

I could be talked into the Mayweather-McGregor PPV...depending on the undercard...and the price

52cfd8f4ad3cf23f5d08fce0fbc9dc4c.jpg

100 bucks, at least.

probably will see Mayweather's top two guys he's promoting, IBF Jr lightweight Champ Gervonta Davis and Badou Jack's debut at 175.

bruin

Pacquiao's next fight on July 1st will be televised on ESPN. Against Jeff Horn in Australia for Pac's 154 WBO title.

Top Rank and Bob Arum struck a mega deal with ESPN. Lomachenko and Crawford's next fights will likely be on there too.

So with the Golden Boy contract and now this, looks like ESPN's commitment to boxing is real.

bruin

Good fight. Thought Pac clearly won, but closer than many thought.

Credit to Horn for going for broke.

Rematch will for sure be on ESPN and will do higher ratings.

evil1

Good fight. Thought Pac clearly won, but closer than many thought.

Credit to Horn for going for broke.

I think the judges gave every close round to Horn because a) he fought in front of his home crowd, and b) he kept surviving when most people thought Pac would steamroll him.

I think it's time for Pac to retire. He isn't the type of boxer who out points the opponent, and he hasn't had a knockout since 2009.

bruin

Judges could have been swayed by all the blood gushing from Pac's head as well from the headbutts. Same thing happened to Chocolatito in March (which was also a bogus decision.)

Pac has lost a good step and his accuracy on his punches. Still a top 10 Welter, but wouldn't mind seeing him go out with a rematch against Horn in his homeland then calling it a career.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Haven't seen the fight, but from everything I've read, it was Pac-Bradley all over again where Pac clearly out punched his opponent but the fight was given to Horn because they wanted to set up a rematch.

Pac is getting old and no longer is the exciting fighter he once was. He fights more cautiously and controlled now, and I think that is part of why his losses (by decision) to Bradley and Horn have come. As @evil1 pointed out, he hasn't had a knockout since 2009, and that, for better or worse, was his trademark coming up.

Pac was actually "retired" a while ago (although boxers are notorious for never actually retiring for good until they physically can't do it anymore) but I know he's likely to continue fighting as long as he gets paid. Mayweather gets a lot of press for his extravagant lifestyle, but among boxers (and athloletes in general), Pacquiao probably goes through money faster than anybody. It's kind of what happens when your entourage is quite literally 100 people strong. :Dizzy:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Am watching my recording of Pac-Horn now. Horn has a very strange sort of gait in the ring. I can see how he throws opponents off their rhythm.

Also, Horn is coming at Pac like an enraged pit bull. Pac looks overconfident and dismissive of Horn.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Through 7 rounds, Horn's unorthodox movement results in those head bashes that opened those cuts on Manny's head. Plus Horn just looks like he's controlling the fight.

Pac is allowing Horn to control the pacing of the fight, which to the casual observer makes it look like Horn is winning handily.

The punch count is overwhelmingly in Pacquiao's favor, but they're mainly soft, ineffective touches that aren't hurting Horn.

Also, in the past, Pacquiao, when facing an undisciplined, wild-swinging charger like Horn, would have knocked him the fuck out. The fact that Horn hasn't been hurt, and it is Pacquiao who looks mostly on his heels makes me feel like the "bogus" decision wasn't as suspect as initially thought.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
After watching the entirety of the fight, my judgement is that Horn, despite not really hurting Pacquiao (even taking into account the nasty bleeding scalp wounds) controlled the fight by basically always moving forward and being the more aggressive of the fighters. The punch count was heavily in Pacquiao's favor, but I only saw a small number of punches that seemed to stagger or even bother Horn.

Pacquiao nearly ended the fight in the 9th, but couldn't put away Horn in any of the last three rounds, and that, in addition to the home city and country advantage, helped push Horn to the victory.

bruin

The outrage was the 117-111 card. Didn't help viewers were obliged by Atlas' and Stephen A. Smith's goading that it was a robbery. Bradley-Pac I was a robbery, this was a close fight that Pac won, IMO.

4.4.M viewers on ESPN. Lomachenko fights on ESPN Aug 5th.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Rematch will male a shitton of money.

If Horn tries the same shit against Mayweather, it will resemble ballroom dancing. Both boxers just spinning round and round the ring with little actual hitting.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
The outrage was the 117-111 card. Didn't help viewers were obliged by Atlas' and Stephen A. Smith's goading that it was a robbery. Bradley-Pac I was a robbery, this was a close fight that Pac won, IMO.

4.4.M viewers on ESPN. Lomachenko fights on ESPN Aug 5th.

I know absolutely dick about boxing and I remember feeling the same way, that it was a much closer fight than whatever that old fucking handjob who was yapping was saying. But Round 9 has got to be the tiebreaker, I thought it would be a Pacquiao split-decision. Obviously whatever stats they pulled up favoured Pacquiao heavily but it's my understanding that kind of shit is never really considered in the decision.

While I think that kind of result and subjectivity that factors in the decision making is exactly why boxing is struggling, I actually really enjoyed watching that fight and definitely never would have if it wasn't free on ESPN. I think featuring boxing during these slow sports months is great for both sides.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Obviously this is all part of the show and stupid, but I still watched it. So Floyd is obviously going to win a boxing match with ease, but if a real fight broke out, he would lose in 3.7 seconds. Must be tough because he has to talk enough smack to make it look good, but not so much that McGregor gets pissed and starts a real fight.

bruin

Lol, ok Joe Rogan.

Love the "if a real fight broke out" crowd.

Please I'd LOL so hard if Conor once he starts getting abused in the 2nd round starting throwing elbows or kicks. He'd lose %50 of his purse. But the UFC frat boys would cum till New Years.