• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Boxing Thread

evil1

Oh no, no, no. The ref stopped that at exactly the right time. McGregor was barely on his feet, hadn't attempted to throw a punch for over a minute, and had gotten tagged with about 12 punches without much resistance.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
No he stopped it too early because now there's the "it was stopped to early" thing.

chibob

Two girls I know who are in Vegas, they booked their holiday the same week as the fight by pure coincidence and they ended up watching it on some guys laptop outside a bar with like a 100 other people.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Something was definitely... Off

This was the most aggressive I've ever seen Floyd in a fight. He was literally walking into punches that if he were having a more skilled opponent, his ass is probably on the mat.

Maybe that was the plan to just let McGregor punch hisself into fatigue.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

This was the most aggressive I've ever seen Floyd in a fight. He was literally walking into punches that if he were having a more skilled opponent, his ass is probably on the mat.

That was definitely the plan. Plus he could be aggressive, he had no fear of losing. In other fights there was the chance he'd lose so he couldn't be so unguarded

bruin

He knew McGregor couldn't hurt him. That's why he basically stood right in front of him all night. Floyd hadn't fought like that since he was Pretty Boy.

He said he was going to fight like that and he did.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I mean it was a decent fight early all things considered. McGregor managed to even win a few rounds but man when he got gassed, it was a wrap

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I mean it was a decent fight early all things considered. McGregor managed to even win a few rounds but man when he got gassed, it was a wrap

Was Mayweather not doing the late career counterpunching? That last round he actually looked like a legit boxer again.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
He won round 1 (Mayweather let him win it) maybe round 2 and/or 3. I don't think he did but you could argue that.

Mayweather just let McGregor punch himself to death then picked him apart. I guess it's considered 'close' because it went to the 10th but Floyd hasn't legitimately knocked someone out in 11 years and was way up on every scorecard. Plus McGregor didn't put him into danger at any point.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
MacGregor showed out a lot better than I thought he would, but that might not be saying much

doh

He also just tried to bait him into headlocks and penalties to frustrate him. It was amazing. McGregor just looked so bad even when landing a few punches. Only angry crackers are complaining about it being called early.
I was shocked the ref did nothing about all the hammer and rabbit punches.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Fight was OK, but there was absolutely zero chance of McGregor winning. I was just disappointed that Floyd was unable to put McGregor down for a "real" KO.

I'm not disputing the referee's decision to call the fight. He certainly did his job wrt protecting a boxer who clearly was no longer in the fight, and was eventually going to be KO'd.

I'm wondering if the lack of "tape" on McGregor affected Floyd's preparations. One of the strengths of any elite boxer is being able to game plan your opponent - figuring out their weaknesses and how to exploit them. Other than the fact that MMA fights are a lot shorter, and presumably their stamina is correspondingly less, there wasn't anything to judge McGregor's strengths/weaknesses. Yes, he was a novice boxer, but it's not like he's just some schlub from the streets who was completely unfamiliar with fighting.

So I think Floyd had to box him straight up for several rounds before he figured out how to take him down. Once he did, though, it was just a matter of time.

McGregor, for his part, did an okay job of staying upright, and making Floyd come at him. Floyd's forte is defense and counterpunching, and with as unorthodox an opponent as McGregor, he couldn't really employ his usual arsenal. McGregor was also visibly bigger than Mayweather, and I'm wondering if Mayweather was trying to see just how hard McGregor could possibly hit him before he started being aggressive.

I didn't have a dog in this fight (I was rooting for the meteor, remember) but, being off-put by the trog McGregor fans I was watching with, suddenly found myself rooting for Mayweather.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I liked how Floyd kept turning his back and bending over. What a warrior. He's the most boring fighter I've ever watched.

doh

MMA trogs acting like a moral victory cause he didn't go down. This isn't Raging Bull.
I love the McGregor dick riders acting like this is a huge win for him because he lasted 10 rounds. Money hasn't knocked anyone out in 10 years. He hit him hard maybe twice?

It's the ultimate result for the MMA clowns because they can say 'OMG NO ONE HIT DA MATCH DIZ AINT A REEL SPORT'.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Pernell Whitaker was also similarly defensive-minded.

Defensive fighters are boring as shit. It's like watching Tim Duncan play basketball.
I don't think this was defensive as much as it was his gameplan you claim he didn't have. He was trying to get under his skin and win rounds. I think Floyds fights are generally boring, but I don't buy that he didn't know what he was doing from round one.

bruin

Lol. Floyd was anything but boring last night. Sure, he only threw like 5 punches in the first round (only round McGregor won, imo) but he was coming forward the ENTIRE fight.

Nothing like it in over 10+ years for him.

He actually threw some forearms too, which was getting back at Conor for his rabbit punching like a little bitch.

IMG_3107.JPG

evil1

Watched a full replay of the Mayweather-McGregor fight. The biggest observations to me were:
  • Floyd was the power puncher. He was the one who continuously pressed forward and he consistently was able to walk McGregor back. When they landed punches, Mayweather's were the stronger and more powerful punches. This was a complete reversal of what most people expected.
  • McGregor's footwork was really good. His punches were often a little sloppy, but he moved like a legitimately good boxer.
  • As a whole, Floyd did not look sharp. Maybe it was age or rust from the 2 year layoff, but he just looked off. His game plan might have been an A+ but his timing and skills were a C- by his usual standards.
  • Everyone recognizes that Floyd's game plan was to entice McGregor to throw a lot of punches early, tire him out, and then pick him apart. A key part of that plan was that Floyd never let McGregor rest. By always moving forward, Floyd kept continuous pressure on McGregor and forced him to either throw more punches or to keep moving.
Now we just have to wait for Canelo-GGG

bruin

Great card in Carson this Saturday night. Labeled as SuperFly as all three fights on HBO are in the Super Flyweight division. Roman Gonzalez vs Srisaket Sor Rungvisai in a rematch. Chocolatito was robbed on the undercard of GGG-Jacobs back in march.

Also, US debut of Naoya Inoue from Japan who is a WBO champ. Nicknamed the monster and is already in the top 10 p4p by the Ring.

Cuadras-Estrada should also be great.

bruin

Had it 116-112 for Golovkin.

They'll be a rematch, likely Cinco de Mayo weekend. Hopefully just not in Vegas.

bruin

Great triple header Saturday night on Showtime.

Three JR. Middleweight title contests from Brooklyn.

Charlo vs Lubin is straight fire.

I’ll DVR cause Dodgers and Bruins on at same time, but this card should be v good.

bruin

The Charlo’s are straight goons. Boxing needs these personalities. Good for the sport.