• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
The second Gulati and Arena basically shrugged their shoulders at the qualification fiasco and implied that one bad game explains away years of incompetence, they should have taken a flamethrower to the whole thing.

NML

Shockednotshocked that Timmy Chandler told Wood to not risk playing with a slight knock

Fuck that guy

NML

I truly think one of the best moves (maybe the best?) that US Soccer ever made was giving JK control over the technical side of development. What he did with that aspect is so massive that it will completely change the outlook on US Soccer forever - and I disagree with the suggestion that he didn’t give it the attention it needed. Either he did, or someone else did on his behalf.

But he just doesn’t have the traits you look for in a coach.

I thought the article was great but way too light on Arena. Thought it really showed the echo chamber that exists within the upper levels of the federation - especially from people without a soccer background.

There’s another great long form to be done on Landon and Jurgen and all that shit over a decade

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
lmao

Ultimately, Arena elected to use the same lineup he had against Panama four days prior. He reasoned that an overly defensive lineup would signal to his team that he was playing only for a draw. Furthermore, all the starters from the Panama game wanted to play again.

what a tactical genius! He is literally just Soccer Dad. He's basically corching the team on weekends and walking around clapping a lot and being encouraging.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Same. Seems like a lot of bitchy players with an axe to grind because they didn't like playing for JK.

Ironically I think the tone of the story does more to explain what's wrong with US soccer than the actual substance of it.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think the article mostly shows how bad the incompetence was/is at the USSF. Deciding to fire JK before the hex but then giving him an additional two games because Gulati didn't want to make the decision is bad. It further shows how bad of a coach JK was for the national team. I'm still astounded that we advanced out of the group at the 2014 WC, although that was probably more because Portugal sucked than us doing much of anything.

Arena was definitely one of the primary sources for this article, so he's painted in a pretty positive light. I take most of that with a grain assault. I'm not sure Arena qualifies the US if he gets an extra two games, because they were Mexico and then @Costa Rica. It's not like he only faltered at the end - there was still a bad loss to Costa Rica, a loss in Trindad, and a draw in Panama.

NML

I'm still astounded that we advanced out of the group at the 2014 WC, although that was probably more because Portugal sucked than us doing much of anything.

The reality of coaching is that the vast majority of them have relatively no impact. That’s only further exacerbated with an international corch who gets maybe 15 training sessions a year.

Unfortunately, JK might fall in that 10% who have a negative impact on the team. Seems like he had no idea how to control a locker room. You can be a hard ass or you can be easy going, but player’s HAVE to feel like you’ve got a plan - that everything they are doing has a purpose. Seems pretty universal that wasn’t the case

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Wait... the guy who rather play Zusi over Landon, refused to play Pulisic in the '16 CA and played a formation no one understood in the biggest qualifier had no clue what he was doing? Good thing the Ringer wrote a 100,000 word article on it.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The behind the scenes shit with Gulati sneaking around behind people’s backs then getting scared shitless to actually make a move was the most interesting part.

Man that guy is a fucking turd.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Wait... the guy who rather play Zusi over Landon, refused to play Pulisic in the '16 CA and played a formation no one understood in the biggest qualifier had no clue what he was doing? Good thing the Ringer wrote a 100,000 word article on it.

This was all written in FAVOR of a coach who let the players who "wanted" to play do so in the Trinidad game.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Shoot that shit Corona. There's nobody at the back post and 2 guys in position to cash in on a rebound.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
So it appears to be totally impossible to buy the jerseys with the rainbow numbering. To me this seems stupid to me.

NML

So where we at on a corch? Interim coaches all got extensions until end of the year. Read Louis van Gaal, Big Sam, Juan Carlos Osorio, and Gregg Berhalter over the past month. Don’t hate any of those, don’t particularly love any either.

I know they are just friendlies, but we have some great opponents over the next three windows for a new coach to try some things out.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Osorio is too close to MLS for me.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Saw Matias Alemeyda, corch of Chivas pop up on reddit. Whoever we pick will be bad tho until Pep decides to bring it home for us in 2026

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
So where we at on a corch? Interim coaches all got extensions until end of the year. Read Louis van Gaal, Big Sam, Juan Carlos Osorio, and Gregg Berhalter over the past month. Don’t hate any of those, don’t particularly love any either.

I know they are just friendlies, but we have some great opponents over the next three windows for a new coach to try some things out.
Osorio has gotten embarrassed in every knockout stage match he's coached. No thanks.

NML

Not quite the first team lineup, but pretty close. For French Super Cup vs Monaco

DjwMtxdW0AA2iFR

NML

GOOCH 2.0 with the winner for Sunderland

First time they’ve won on opening day in a decade. USA chants followed

Edit: Weah scores the third for PSG

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Mr. Manager doesn't capitulate to whiny primadonnas. Weah reached out and wanted me to tell him how great he was and I said that he probably had a spot on the bench in the future, or something like that :laughing:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Whenever I'm not playing a semi-pro team like a masochist, I always shoot down people who promote hisself in my scouting feed. "I would be one of the best players in the First Team". Oh yeah, then why are you a free agent in mid-October?

NML

Some random USMNT notes as we swing into the season

Weah scored on opening day for PSG - came on in the 80th minute and hit the post too. Plenty of games to go around there so I imagine he stays put. Probably moved himself into “lock” status for every camp moving forward.

Following up with another teenager who’s broken through, McKennie seems to have become a first choice player at Schalke. He’s a ton of fun to watch if you missed the summer friendlies, gonna be a beast.

WOOD made it back to the bundesliga with Hannover. Hasn’t been a normal starter in preseason, looks like he’s the third striker on a team that starts two.

Romain Gall was part of the U20 that made the quarterfinals in ‘15, and he just moved to Malmö in Sweden. Only American to appear in the champions league so far (though they were eliminated and move to Europa League).

Hyndman moved to Hibernian on loan. EPB is at NAC in Holland. Miazga to Nantes. Antonee Robinson (the future left back) is on loan at Wigan. Novakovich is at Fortuna Sittard.

Few people I’m surprised haven’t moved yet: Cameron, CCV, Tyler Adams, Olosunde, and Keaton Parks.

Random list of people who have fallen off and are either done or extreme longshots to make the first team anytime soon: Haji Wright, Ethan Horvath, Bill Hamid (back in DC), Rubio Rubin, Mix, Cody Cropper, Zelalem, and Acosta (which is the most surprising).

Brazil and Mexico during the September window, two weeks until that roster.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Weah seems like our only other legit shot to be a European star other than Pulisic.

NML

Based on what? Pulisic played in 42 of BD’s 48 matches. Weston was closer to fringe first team.

Schalke has a better season than Dortmund, but don’t think I agree on McKennie > Pulisic last year.

They along with Weah should see multiple Champions League matches. Don’t remember the last time we had three players in the group stage, especially on legitimate knockout round contenders. Had a couple years with Yermaine and Kljestan.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Pulisic started off red hot and then tailed off. He didn't do much the second half of the season, but I think that was mostly down to a more pragmatic manager. If I remember correctly, McKennie was getting more run as the season went on, and I remember hearing/reading from people that follow the Bundesliga that he was coming into his own and arguably surpassing McKennie.

Might just be a bit of a bitter taste from Pulisic struggling after the US was eliminated from the world cup.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Whats the corch situation, any updated rumors?

Also, I think part of Pulisic falling off is that he's so young and he probably wasn't used to playing 40+ games at that level. He looked gassed during our summer friendlies

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think he's falling off because he's the American Super Hans and we've pinned all of our hopes and dreams on him and he's becoming petulant because he knows everyone around him will always suck on the USMNT.

NML

Pulisic was third in minutes (second among field players), fourth in goals, and first in assists for Dortmund last year.

I don’t know how he did towards the end, but if he “tails off” and is still (arguably) a team as good as Dortmund’s best player, I think he’s doing okay.

He’s 19