• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Gregg subbing Pepi off for Ferrera who I'm guessing also could have played for Mexico is kinda baller

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Zimmerman was awesome tonight. Wasn't just hoofing it forward constantly when he got possession.

bruin

STFU brick let me black out in peace tonight lol

Like you’ll said, Mexico ball chasing in the second half had me cackling. Why they came out in the last min? Hate the cold. Steffen with much needed confidence.

Let’s win the damn hex.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
If CONCACAF has no desire to enforce even the most minimal field quality, we should start playing every home qualifier in fucking Alaska

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
US might need 7 points from the next window at this point. There isn't much room for error right now. 10 points gets us through, especially if we beat Panama at home. But we go to Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica next. God help us if we need something at Saprissa on the last game.

Snorky's Shame

US might need 7 points from the next window at this point. There isn't much room for error right now. 10 points gets us through, especially if we beat Panama at home. But we go to Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica next. God help us if we need something at Saprissa on the last game.

If the US holds serve at home they should still qualify even if they lose all three. Drop points at home and it gets complicated. Panama still has to go to Mexico and the United States.

Not as worried about playing Costa Rica as I usually am for three reasons.

1. They seem to be between generations right now
  2. They’re not as deep as the US and the third game of the window has killed teams without the depth of Canada, United States and Mexico (see the Honduras collapse against the he United States)
  3. I don’t think Costa Rica has played a qualifier at Saprissa since the new stadium opened. Thanks to a track, the new stadium is a lot less intimidating than Saprissa.

That said, all you have to say is Couva and every USMNT fan worries again.

So it looks like the Canadian players want to play the US game in Toronto, not Vancouver. I guess they could play at SkyDome but the game is most likely at BMO. Also probably means the US will have to play in Texas or Florida in the next window.

VAR might be implemented in the last two qualifying windows. I don’t know why they just didn’t do it at the start.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

2. They’re not as deep as the US and the third game of the window has killed teams without the depth of Canada, United States and Mexico (see the Honduras collapse against the he United States)
  3. I don’t think Costa Rica has played a qualifier at Saprissa since the new stadium opened. Thanks to a track, the new stadium is a lot less intimidating than Saprissa.

Yeah, I agree with all that. I think we could get a point there, and if were anything but the last game, I would be pretty confident of it. But if we need a point there on the last game, I will not be feeling good. It will probably come down to not losing against Panama in the last window to qualify, which should be doable.

I also just double checked, and the first tiebreaker is GD. That's a plus for us, too.

You're right that we're likely okay with 3 home wins and nothing else. There's no margin for error on those home games, though.

Snorky's Shame

Yeah, I agree with all that. I think we could get a point there, and if were anything but the last game, I would be pretty confident of it. But if we need a point there on the last game, I will not be feeling good. It will probably come down to not losing against Panama in the last window to qualify, which should be doable.

I also just double checked, and the first tiebreaker is GD. That's a plus for us, too.

You're right that we're likely okay with 3 home wins and nothing else. There's no margin for error on those home games, though.

Yeah, I don’t want to go to Costa Rica needing a point either. Maybe Costa Rica is eliminated by then but I have a sneaking suspicion they’ll still have a chance at the playoff spot in the last match day. Next window is huge for them. Need to beat Panama before going to Mexico & Jamaica.

Snorky's Shame

The next window:

El Salvador in Columbus
Canada in Hamilton
Honduras in St. Paul

Winter is coming. Cold is fine, freezing rain/snow is not.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
how did we end up with the crappier Roldan

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Why does Weston's first touch look like Zardes?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It feels like we’re controlling play and just creating nothing to show for it outside of a corner.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Every free header we've gotten in the middle of the field or in a vaguely threatening position has been headed aimlessly out of bounds or rigut back to Canada. It's like they think you can't pass using your head.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Spent all stoppage aimlessly hoofing the ball upfield. Cool strats Gregg

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Zardes touch is so, so bad that he's a net negative. We would have been better off with no striker on the field but Acosta in front of the defense.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
Zardes touch is so, so bad that he's a net negative. We would have been better off with no striker on the field but Acosta in front of the defense.
It sure would be nice if he actually lived up to his nickname more than once every 6-12 months or so.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
If US doesn't win this upcoming match... we are in serious shit. Still matches at Mexico and ending at Costa Rica.

If the US holds serve at home they should still qualify even if they lose all three. Drop points at home and it gets complicated. Panama still has to go to Mexico and the United States.

That said, all you have to say is Couva and every USMNT fan worries again.

So it looks like the Canadian players want to play the US game in Toronto, not Vancouver. I guess they could play at SkyDome but the game is most likely at BMO. Also probably means the US will have to play in Texas or Florida in the next window.

VAR might be implemented in the last two qualifying windows. I don’t know why they just didn’t do it at the start.
I agree with a lot of this however-- They have to go to Azteca back to the US then to San Jose, CR which is hellacious travel.

CR isn't good but they're worlds better than TnT last cycle. I'm curious if that last match day is a must win if they'd move it to Saprissa.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
6 points, including beating Panama, should be enough. But we have no room for error now at home. And we're going to be playing in brutally cold weather against Honduras. It has the potential to go sideways on us if the bounces go against us.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Whoever thought playing a night game in St. Paul at the beginning of February was a good idea is so fucking stupid lol. Like I can't even imagine the thought process on that decision outside of literally no one in the room ever having been to Minnesota in February (highly likely).

This isn't Columbus where the slightly cold temps are maybe an advantage over a Central American team, wind chill of -20 is miserable for everyone lmao.

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I think the match was supposed to be in Portland until Canada decided to play in Hamilton instead of Vancouver.

bruin

Mexico dropping points last night at home was big.
Considering how down Costa Rica is.

I cackled like a prime Verne when I saw Zardes starting.

Now no Adams on Wednesday.