• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
giphy.gif

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Malik Tillman and Gabriel Slonina have chosen to play for the U.S. over Germany and Poland, respectively. Anyone know anything about these guys?

Snorky's Shame

Malik Tillman and Gabriel Slonina have chosen to play for the U.S. over Germany and Poland, respectively. Anyone know anything about these guys?

Slonina plays for the Fire so I see him a lot. He just turned 18 but took over the starting GK spot in the middle of last year.

Elite shot stopper, iffy in possession but very mature for his age. Supposedly a generational talent in net but it’s hard to get a good read on that because of his age and well because the Fire suck. Real Madrid has already had a bid rejected for him.

Poland really did recruit him hard though, their coach was at the US Open Cup game vs Omaha in April.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
What the hell is going on with this field

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
What a fucking weird story. Makes $700,000 a year but won't pay for a $5 shot even when facing being arrested? On the other hand why the fuck is the bar going through the process of arresting someone over a $5 tab? I guarantee multiple people skip out on bills every night and they aren't getting arrested. Doesn't add up lol

Last edited:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That big ass striker from FC Cincinnati makes it.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Why can't USA be any good at mens soccer? Seems like there should be plenty of guys who are too small for other sports that could carry us. I don't ever remember a legit national star from the USA.

To be faaaaaair I'm the casualist of soccer fans doe.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think we should finish 3rd in the group at a minimum, with a chance to advance with the last group game.

We probably have the second most talented team after England. Wales has Bale and Ramsey and that's really about it. Joe Allen may not be healthy, too, so we should really dominate that midfield. Iran will be a pain to play. They're going to try for 0-0. Even with our talent, our center backs are glaring weaknesses. Ramsey and Bale can exploit that.

It wouldn't be terribly surprising if we won the group, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we finished last either. I'm not the biggest fan of Gregg, so I'm thinking it will probably be a disappointment.

NML

the usmnt is the youngest squad in the entire competition. that’s probably a mostly bad thing but at least none of the old guard made it. they got a terrible draw and almost definitely have the toughest group at the entire tournament. i also cannot think of a worse matchup for them than Wales - who have absolutely no interest in having possession but are clinical on the counter, something the usmnt is weak defending. going to be a lot of pointless possession for the us in that one. i imagine people are looking past iran but they are probably the best team in asia and not a pushover in the least

this, however, is a fascinating story and one that could really bump up the usmnt chances

technically they DID announce the squad yesterday, but then delayed the press conference after more push back. azmoun missing would be a massive blow for them - and by extension, huge for the usmnt

looking at the squad, there’s a notable miss at center forward and no one is in form (except maybe pepi who isn’t even going). my guess is they go with sargent over weah, but personally prefer going with one of pulisic, aaronson, or reyna central because it’s crazy to me that one of them would sit. based on the announcement, im guessing aaronson plays in midfield with the other two wide. mckennie also not fit which is a big blow.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Why can't USA be any good at mens soccer? Seems like there should be plenty of guys who are too small for other sports that could carry us. I don't ever remember a legit national star from the USA.

To be faaaaaair I'm the casualist of soccer fans doe.

The U.S. didn't start investing in soccer like other countries until fairly recently and even then it's probably not comparable to the best teams

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
it's not just money, it's also cultural. The only team sport people give a shit about in Brazil is soccer. There aren't 2-3 other cheap options.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think the most telling thing is my favorite "CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THE USMNT WOULD LOOK LIKE..." tweet hasn't even been udpated! LeBron and KD in 2022? Does Odell even play anymore? lol LAZY!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Jude Bellingham has been a massive difference maker for Ingerland. Don't worry though guys, as that Germanic steeliness should wear off by the second game.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Why does every soccer player have to roll around like a bitch at the slightest contact? It's so hard to stomach.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Because they know there's a decent chance they'll be rewarded for it by the ref.
Why can't they fix that with a bad actor card or something. I can't believe the US is alone in thinking it's ridiculous.

Also Iran looks terrible. Hopefully we can win that one.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They hired a firm to investigate a guy kicking his future wife of 25 years once as an 18 year old? I don't understand this at all

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So does that statement mean they are looking into who was trying to get GREGG fired and letting him take a step back for a bit until it blows over or what? It sounds like whoever it was had dirt on more than GREGG because it mentions multiple members of the organization by outside individuals. What a shitty statement

Are they going to fire him because he kicked his wife of 25 years when they were both 18?