• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Shea with the worst cross I've ever seen. Dribble into box, slowly roll ball on the ground at Ukraine CB

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Another pathetic cross from Shea. GIIIIIIIT OUT

Renegade

Charge on!
So here's my 23 for Brazil:

Goalies

1. Howard
2. Guzan
3. Rimando

Defenders
4. Cameron
5. Evans
6. Besler
7. Gonzalez
8. Goodson
9. Beasley
10. F. Johnson
11. Orozco/Brooks/Castillo

Midfielders
12. Donovan
13. Zusi
14. Diskerud
15. J. Jones
16. Bedoya
17. Shea
18. Dempsey
19. Bradley

Forwards
20. Altidore
21. Johannsson
22. Boyd
23. Green/Wondo/Magee/E. Johnson

My ideal starting lineup:

Howard
Cameron Gonzalez Besler F. Johnson
Bradley
Zusi Diskerud Dempsey
Donovan Altidore
Thoughts?​

Milo

Match ups are important, but default I'd go...

Howard
Cameron - Gonzalez - Besler - Johnson
Bradley - Jones
Zusi - Dempsey - Donovan
Altidore

Caveat that I'd switch in Johannsson for Dempsey if Clint continues to struggle.

Shall we do a draft?

Last edited:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I'm done with Dempsey. Unless he's sitting on 12 goals for Seattle on Jun 1 I stick Arjo in the 10 spot

Renegade

Charge on!
I'm done with Dempsey. Unless he's sitting on 12 goals for Seattle on Jun 1 I stick Arjo in the 10 spot

He did look shitty last night, but so did most of them. I don't really want Yermaine Yonez in there. Bradley can play defensive mid just fine. The only advantage to Jones is if his presence lets Bradley do more creating. But I'd rather have the two forwards, and I'd be fine with moving Donovan to LM and putting Aron in the starting XI.

Renegade

Charge on!
Gideon Zelalem looks to be accepting a Germany U-17 call-up, which will prevent him from playing for the US. He can't do a one-time switch because he's not US eligible at the time he plays for another country. Not that it looks like he's likely to get US citizenship anyway, even if he would agree to play for us.

Renegade

Charge on!
http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/03/...f-the-u-s-soccer-radar-nightly-soccer-report/

The rule is this:

- If you're eligible for two countries when you begin youth play in an official match, then you can do the one time switch as long as you're not capped at the senior level (e.g. Aron Johannsson)
- If you're eligible for only one country when you begin youth play in an official match but later become eligible for a second country, you're not eligible for the one-time switch.

Essentially, the only way he would be eligible for the US is if he had US citizenship before he plays an official match for Germany...then he could do the one-time switch to us at the senior level. But since he doesn't have his citizenship yet, he won't be eligible for the switch even if he gets it -- assuming he does get capped by Germany U-17.

But I think the idea that a kid living/working in Europe whose family now lives in Europe as well (iirc) getting US citizenship is pretty much a pie in the sky. His connection to the US is pretty tenuous at this point.

NML

His possible eligibility is that he should be eligible based on, if I'm remembering correctly, that he lived here for several years and his dad is a citizen, yes?

If so, and I don't have the by laws in front of me so I don't know for sure, it's possible they could say he was a citizen, even if he didn't have citizenship at the time.

Renegade

Charge on!
He was a permanent resident (green card), much like Andy Najar. But turning that into actual citizenship is a long process, and unlike Andy in MLS, Zelalem is out of the country. Ibesevic is another similar case of a guy who was living here legally but then left without completing the citizenship process. One of my law school buddies does immigration law, so I'll ask him, but from the little I know about the area, it's a pretty remote possibility. Better to focus on Julian Green, Shawn Parker, and the like who already have citizenship.

Basically, whenever Congress gets around to passing an immigration bill (if ever), US Soccer needs to have some highly-paid lobbyists to insert a provision for fast-tracking citizenship cases like this. I don't know if we would have gotten Andy, but the fact that his citizenship wasn't going to be coming anytime soon certainly influenced his decision.

NML

Well they did pass something pretty recently, moving the time frame up to 5 years or 3 years for married athletes. Nagbe will have citizenship next December because of this, I believe.

Renegade

Charge on!
Well they did pass something pretty recently, moving the time frame up to 5 years or 3 years for married athletes. Nagbe will have citizenship next December because of this, I believe.

Did not know that. It's a start, though it sounds kind of like the loophole David Regis used:

Regis was naturalized in Los Angeles under a special provision of the Immigration and Naturalization Act. The provision requires the applicant's spouse to be a United States citizen living abroad and employed by the Government, by an American research institution or by an American corporation that promotes foreign trade and commerce, according to Bill Strassberger, a spokesman for the I.N.S.'s western district.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/21/s...olyglot-us-world-cup.html?src=pm&pagewanted=2

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
His possible eligibility is that he should be eligible based on, if I'm remembering correctly, that he lived here for several years and his dad is a citizen, yes?

If so, and I don't have the by laws in front of me so I don't know for sure, it's possible they could say he was a citizen, even if he didn't have citizenship at the time.
Im assuming his dad is a naturalized citizen?

Renegade

Charge on!
The last report I saw is that his dad is going through the naturalization process but doesn't have his citizenship yet.

Anyway, this seems to clear it up: http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

The child was under 18 or not yet born on February 27, 2001: At least one parent is a U.S. citizen, the child is currently under 18 and residing in the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to lawful admission for permanent residence.

Like I thought...pretty difficult to satisfy that if he's working in England.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
1979470_10152008062829632_1941794929_n.jpg

The away jersey is confirmed.

Snorky's Shame

Looks like I'm only getting one World Cup jersey this year, Netherlands home.

Jerseys have gotten more expensive recently. $90 for a replica now. It was $70 in 2006.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Green will be in camp for the México friendly

http://soccer.si.com/2014/03/18/bayern-munich-julian-green-usa-mexico-april-klinsmann/

When asked if there was a possibility that he could choose to play for the U.S. at this year’s World Cup — and be tied to the U.S. for good — Green nodded his head.
“Yes, I think so,” he said. “If I can play a World Cup at 18 years old, it would be great, amazing. But I have to train hard.”
Green said Klinsmann had mentioned the possibility of playing for the U.S. at the World Cup, but the coach has not guaranteed him a spot on the World Cup team if he chooses to wear the Stars & Stripes.
“But the chance is there,” Green said with a smile. “I have to play well, and we will see.”

RandyMarshJizz.jpg

Last edited:

NML

I've come around to giving him a spot, no reason not to. Is Agudelo really going to do anything this guy can't? Gonna be kinda sad that one of Boyd or Eddie Johnson doesn't go doe. I'd bet Boyd; he just don't bring anything different, while GAM can play winger and is a monster in the air.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I would be pretty shocked if EJ doesn't make the final 23. You're right that he can play winger, and he's made some good contributions in this cycle. Boyd, on the other hand, is still a pretty big unknown.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Even then, I'd probably rather play Dempsey up front and move around the 3 attacking mids behind him.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think they may just be misinterpreting that link above, but Fox Soccer on TV said that Green decided to play for the US altogether. TFWIW grain assault etc.

Twellman's Inside Sauces corrobate: