• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
March 5th we go to Kharkiv to face Ukraine. I'm hoping for a good result, Ukraine has a stingy defense (see: France) and some attacking power with Yarmolenko.

Fun thought question to start off the thread: If Julian Green calls JK today and says he'll play for the US if he gets to start every game in Brazil, do you take that offer?

NML

No. If he was starting consistently for Bayern, or even just playing consistently, it'd be a different story.

We'd take a major hit at striker with him there instead of Jozy or Aron. I'm not even sure I'd do it even for just a roster spot.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
He can play on the wing, as a second striker, or up top at center forward. He's just 18 and he's been getting serious looks on Bayern Munich for the future. Suffice to say, if he even hits 50% of his potential he'd be an easy starter on our team within a couple of years. Stevan Jovetic for City or maybe a younger Dempsey would be fair comparisons, imo.

Rob's FSU

I do not know what a "Jovetic" is. Please enhance your answer using color, food and other metaphors.

NML

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

NML

Seems like he's 50/50 at this point. I think JK could lock him up if he gives him spot #23.

So, back to yankee's original post - if we give Green a spot on the World Cup roster, is it worth it? I'm trying to think who #23 was in 2010... Edson Buddle?

NML

If the option is whether Eddie Johnson is #23; our 4th string striker (Jozy, AJ, Boyd) and third string LW (Donovan, FJ [possibly Shea]) then I'll take Green. I think that's what JK has to decide

Snorky's Shame

Start all three games? No.

Roster spot? Yes.

Realistically though, the US isn't winning this World Cup. If he's the real deal, get him as much time as possible.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Find a soccer post where Yankee doesn't mention Jovetic, win a cookie. UR gonna be hungry.

Looks like he scored today doe. Hmmmmmm.

I am Ghost on Green. Definitely give him a spot, maybe run him out as a sub against Germany if already eliminated.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Definitely give Green a spot. Hell, have him be the "3rd keeper" if necessary. Run him out in one game. Would be worth it, no matter what we do in the World Cup.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Here is something I was marinating on earlier today.

Going forward, could the situations of players like Subotic and Rossi actually benefit us? I.e., Subotic's national team was, I believe, banned from UEFA qualifiers at some point, and Rossi can't even get on the roster for Italy and never played in any super important games that I can recall, either. Has anyone made the "right" choice? Possibly Najar, who might get lost in our midfield depth.

Does this influence Julian Green? I think it clearly influenced Johansson, but he also knew that Iceland had a really unlikely shot at qualifying out of Europe too.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Is he more of a striker or winger? And the follow up to that would be what's the depth like for young guys at his position in Germany? I'm not nearly as familiar with the younger guys in Germany like I am with other countries.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Um Germany is fucking loaded, basically forever.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Well yeah, I guess a better question is would he be a normal player on their 23 man roster or would he be a fringe guy for tournaments? Because he would clearly be in our 23 all the time.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
In the future I'm sure he'd get time if he hits his potential. But currently Germany is stacked at midfield; their roster right now is really young and they have some serious talent coming up as well (Meyer, Draxler, and Werner to name a few).

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
To be fair, Rossi got really unlucky with injuries. He would have arguably been Italy's top striker for the past 5 years without the injuries.

Renegade

Charge on!
BhAULo5CEAAL8EC.jpg

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
A little misleading, too. Klose has 14 goals in 19 World Cup games, but I'd honestly rather have Donovan than Klose on the US team.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah but you would have rather had Klose up until 2010, haha. Now he old balls.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Roster for Ukraine:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Oguchi Onyewu (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Packwood (Birmingham City), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Barnsley), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (Utrecht), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar)

NML

Won't play doe. But he's got every chance to get the fourth striker spot for Brazil.

bruin

Ukraine friendly postponed. One of the refs car was bombed.

trying to find a link.

Renegade

Charge on!
Mix, Bradley, and Ream pulled out of training camp. Mix has a minor injury, Bradley wanted to train with Toronto, and Ream's wife had a baby this week. Mix and Bradley are going to Brazil regardless, though I would have liked to see Ream get a match in.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Saw on Twitter that Holden left the Bolton Reserves game with another knee injury. First game since he got hurt in July playing for the US. Ugh. Feel terrible for him.

Renegade

Charge on!
Brek Shea in hot water for flipping off his own fans at Barnsley. Apparently they were laying in the team for a 5-0 defeat to Huddersfield.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
what in all fucks is that photo

wait, so Green is in camp?