• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm not all that worried about him. He was clearly exhausted last year, had 2 different coaches, and was clearly affected negatively by the world cup qualifying debacle. He only scored once in 2018. I was just hearing and seeing better things about McKennie the second half of the season than Pulisic.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
His big goals for the US is pretty insane:
  • Against Ghana in the 2006 WC
  • Goal that advanced us against Egypt in the 2009 Confed Cup
  • Goals against Brazil and Spain in the 2009 Confed Cup
  • Tying goal against England in 2010 WC
  • Goals against Ghana and Portugal in 2014 WC

That doesn't include things like goals in qualifying - like his winner against Costa Rica in the snow game. And it doesn't include the huge goals he scored for Fulham, either (regulation saving goal, goal to beat Juventus in the UEFA Cup). His record is crazy.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Most accomplished US player of all-time. I actually don't think anyone is close.

Landon's lack of doing anything in Europe automatically disqualifies him.

EDIT: I should say field player too.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Most accomplished US player of all-time. I actually don't think anyone is close.

Landon's lack of doing anything in Europe automatically disqualifies him.

EDIT: I should say field player too.

I think Landon was probably more talented, but yeah Dempsey definitively accomplished more. Landon had a few more tools than Dempsey did: he was faster and a better passer. But Dempsey has balls the size of Texas, so he got way more out of it.

I'm also not sure a goalie is more accomplished than Dempsey. Howard and Freidel had longevity, but they never really got to the heights that Dempsey did. Freidel may have been a top 5 goalie for a while, but his team didn't do a ton. Howard, although really good, was never at that level.

doh

Friedel basically didn't miss a match playing in the PL for 10 straight years. Finished top 5 in the PL. Was a huge cog in the best WC performance ever. Was part of a PL best XI.

I think his credentials are better.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
His big goals for the US is pretty insane:
  • Against Ghana in the 2006 WC
  • Goal that advanced us against Egypt in the 2009 Confed Cup
  • Goals against Brazil and Spain in the 2009 Confed Cup
  • Tying goal against England in 2010 WC
  • Goals against Ghana and Portugal in 2014 WC

That doesn't include things like goals in qualifying - like his winner against Costa Rica in the snow game. And it doesn't include the huge goals he scored for Fulham, either (regulation saving goal, goal to beat Juventus in the UEFA Cup). His record is crazy.

NML

Roster announced later today. No Pulisic because of injury

Novakovich scored again yesterday. Got to watch him for a bit and that entire team is built around him, which is crazy for a loanee. I imagine he’ll start up top for these friendlies.

NML

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Zack Steffen(Columbus Crew SC)

DEFENDERS (9): John Brooks (Wolfsburg), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City), Eric Lichaj (Hull City), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Nantes), Shaq Moore (Reus Deportiu), Tim Parker (New York Red Bulls), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Schalke 04), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain)

FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Fortuna Sittard), Bobby Wood (Hannover), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC)

Novakovich - Wood
Weah - Adams - McKennie - Arriola
Robinson - Brooks - Miazga - Yedlin
Steffen

Is my guess for starters

NML

Hes killing it in Columbus. When he’s just ask to run at and past people and tap in goals he’s not terrible. It’s that whole “passing” and “taking a good first touch” thing that gets him

doh

Yeah Zardes makes really intelligent diagonal runs through the lines and before Galaxy ruined him by trying to make him a winger, he had a great season there. Finally he's actually playing where he should be.

NML

Dat back line got me a chub

Immediately flaccid with Julian Green at left mid while Tim Weah sits on the bench

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Arriola is pure garb. Why is he on the roster?

NML

All my optimism about Robinson is gone. Holy shit he’s getting destroyed

Arriola is pure garb. Why is he on the roster?

We just don’t have any traditional wingers in our player pool. I guess Bedoya? Woof

Brooks Lennon might fit but he’s not at this level yet

NML

And the obvious answer to that is - don’t play with traditional wingers

But Sarachan is 102 years old and knows no other way

NML

Here’s my player ratings after that shit show

Good: Brooks, Yedlin
Fine: Miazga, McKennie
Meh: Steffen, Adams
Awful: Robinson, Wood
Fuck You: Trapp, Green, Arriola

I know we brought on subs but they couldn’t have been more insignificant

Unpopular opinion: I know the result doesn’t matter, but we would’ve looked infinitely better tonight with Jozy up top

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
You beat me to it but yeah. It's 2018. Ryan Giggs retired like 40 years ago. Nobody plays with real wingers. They turn them into fullbacks in a 5-3-2.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
giphy.gif