• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Lleget was having a great year with Galaxy/playing well with the NT until that injury in the WCQ. I think he will be an important player this cycle. His issue is he's 26 and hasn't played that many matches being buried at West Ham then getting hurt. But I like him.

I think Aaron Long is going to be important too. He's a late bloomer but has been gr8 in MLS/looked good in these two matches.

NML

Pulisic just scored a nice goal that may end up being the winner in the German Cup

First goal since October?

Edit: uh ended up being three more in extra time and went to PKs :laughing:

Last edited:

ebarws6

stAy
Pulisic just scored a nice goal that may end up being the winner in the German Cup

First goal since October?

Edit: uh ended up being three more in extra time and went to PKs :laughing:

i tuned in just in time for the pulisic goal, thought I was watching highlights. crazy ET

Reactions: NML

NML

Little midweek lunch time murrican on murrican action?

giphy.gif

Adams vs JAB on ESPN3

doh

Sargent getting start today on FS2 (if anyone in the world gets that)

Also Confederations Cup done... Cordeiro saying that after 2021 they're probably ditching Gold Cup. May do another North + South American Tournament every 4 years.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Super Copa America is fine with me. I think FIFA ultimately wants to switch everyone over to Nations League style play (althought Conmebol has had it with WCQ forever). Will miss Confed Cup tho.

doh

I wonder if they'll bring back Confed Cup for 2026.

Logistically it was impossible to do it for Qatar because of the summer. But a 2025 Confed Cup would mint money for FIFA in the US. Could also do an expanded one with 12 teams (Canada, US, Mexico auto qualify). It's far into the future, but it's just too much free money for FIFA to turn down.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah, their logic is they need room for expanded playoffs, but aren't most of the continental champs going to be qualified by then, anyways? Especially with more spots in play.

And if not, you could always just replace them with another team from that confederation to round out the cup. I don't know how that'd work, but like you said, I can't see them turning down free money.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Champions League can probably run pretty easily like Asia's, just split the sides until the Finals (or maybe say, Quarterfinals if you want to be fair). Definitely too much money not to see a tournament every 4 years.

doh

The lawsuit does not provide a breakdown of how much revenue the women’s and men’s teams generate annually.

:laughing:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Eh, that's probably irrelevant to their actual claim. It's certainly relevant to the USSF's defense. And, also, the union has said they want an equal share of the revenue they generate (or at least that's how I read that statement):

Don't see the problem here. If the men are getting 50% of the revenue they generate and the women are getting 25%, that's ridiculous and probably illegal.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Meh, the SheBelieves Cup is just a USSF-created made-for-TV event because it was "costing too much" to send the women to Portugal every year to play in the Algarve Cup.

doh

Eh, that's probably irrelevant to their actual claim. It's certainly relevant to the USSF's defense. And, also, the union has said they want an equal share of the revenue they generate (or at least that's how I read that statement):

Don't see the problem here. If the men are getting 50% of the revenue they generate and the women are getting 25%, that's ridiculous and probably illegal.

Didn't they agree to a collectively bargained contract recently?

And it's not ridiculous. If the WNT matches make way less money and the profit margins are smaller, then they should be paid differently. The stakes at Men's WC (as well as revenues, prize money) are astronomically higher.

Also the WNT players are employed by US Soccer. The MNT are not. That's a huge difference.

NML

If you want to see why the USMNT gets a higher percentage, look at the attendance for January vs March when they play in a couple weeks. The men have name recognition, and USSF takes a hit when the big names don’t play.

Doesn’t happen for the women. Hell, the worst attended USSF events were the only competitive matches over the past two years (Women’s CONCACAF Championship)

The USWNT should compare their income vs every other women’s national team (and my guess is they are near the top)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think those are valid reasons for why the women make less in total, but I'm not sure they're valid reasons for why the women get less of a percentage than the men.

The thing I don't know is how collective bargaining factors into all of this. If you agreed to set compensation in collective bargaining, then does that mean you can later sue for gender discrimination? I honestly don't know.

doh

The women get a lower % than the men because the women are full-time employees of US Soccer. USSF pays their salary, health benefits, etc. Men JUST get the bonuses from matches.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Oh, I see. I didn't get that you meant that. Presumably, that stuff will be accounted for as the lawsuit goes on.

bruin

i watched some of that shebelieves cup games against england and brazil. the women's team def should be paid higher than the men. tobin heath is a tank out there and 10 x better than anybody we have.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It is pretty amazing that we can produce technical players like Heath and Rapinoe on the women's side and, outside of a few notable exceptions, we don't get that with the men.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Rapinoe is better with either foot than 10/11 of the USMNT donks we throw out there are with their dominant foot.

Our women's fundamentals and technical competency make our men look atrocious. Remember when Carli Lloyd legit scored a 60 yard goal in a wc game? I can't imagine anyone in the pool on the men's side even attempting that. Maybe Trapp or McKenie?

NML

Rapinoe is better with either foot than 10/11 of the USMNT donks we throw out there are with their dominant foot.

Our women's fundamentals and technical competency make our men look atrocious. Remember when Carli Lloyd legit scored a 60 yard goal in a wc game? I can't imagine anyone in the pool on the men's side even attempting that. Maybe Trapp or McKenie?

Couple reasons the WNT have a technical advantage

1) the whole game is slower: the players, the passes, the pressure. So it’s much easier to take a great touch and deliver a good ball when all that happens

2) they look 10x better than most other WNTs because women have been playing soccer here longer than most countries and have WAY more avenues to continue their development (with more financial incentive)

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations

Couple reasons the WNT have a technical advantage

1) the whole game is slower: the players, the passes, the pressure. So it’s much easier to take a great touch and deliver a good ball when all that happens

2) they look 10x better than most other WNTs because women have been playing soccer here longer than most countries and have WAY more avenues to continue their development (with more financial incentive)

Oh I know. But the optics aren't great for your average American donk who just tunes into the world cups to be jingoisitic.

NML

The March roster...

5136770919f2378bbe1bda3adad4c6d5.jpg

Omar is back? Tim Ream? Baird?

My only pary are that a bunch of u23/u20 guys are going to those camps (Weah, Sargent, Novakovich, etc)

NML

A game where some decent players will be playing!

Berhalter announced that Adams is going to start at RB and do the role that Lima did in January, where he tucks inside in the attack. It’s a really great fit for Adams when we play games that we should control (is Ecuador one of those? Maybe?). But there’s two issues to me

1) Adams isn’t an elite defender, and while he’s a great ball winner, it’s quite different when you are isolated vs talent wingers. So in games where we won’t see as much of the ball, does this make sense?

2) You also knock out Yedlin from a position he’s had for a while, and it’s not as if Yedlin is some MLS lifer who needs replaced. I think playing him as a RM has value - especially if Adams tucks in and needs more cover wide - but in the 4-3-3 he likes to play, I’m just not sure he fits so high up.

I love Teflon and while he’s about as good as he’s ever going to be, that level is a mid-tier EPL FB/wing back, and that’s a level that we just can’t have sitting on the bench.

Steffen withdrew with injury, too. Here’s my guess for lineup

Arriola - Zardes - Yedlin
Pulisic - McKennie
Bradley
Ream - Brooks - Miazga - Adams
Johnson

Could see Long in place of Reams or Miazga, Johnson at GK, or Morris for Yedlin.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I forgot about him but Fulham fans seems to love Tim Ream, which I'm not sure says more about Ream or Fulham fans...

bruin

I'll flip to it back and forth between the tournament. Ecuador is a middle of the road South American squad so lets see how we look..

any chance we can bring mallory pugh or christen press off the bench?

NML

Here’s my guess for lineup

Arriola - Zardes - Yedlin
Pulisic - McKennie
Bradley
Ream - Brooks - Miazga - Adams
Johnson

Could see Long in place of Reams or Miazga, Horvath at GK, or Morris for Yedlin.

Long for Miazga, Morris for Yedlin, and Trapp for Bradley.

First time Adams, McKennie, and Pulisic have played together

NML

My god Brooks was made for this system. It’s also only been four minutes but it’s nice to see what this is capable of with some quality attacking players. It only worked in Columbus because they had one of the ten best MLS players of all time

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
These tracking vests they wear under the shirts makes it seem like they all have scoliosis

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Hardly anything more than that. He shot it into someone's shin and the keeper was looking at Twitter or something and it went in over him.

NML

Not sure on McKennie’s injury - didn’t look good but if it was a break, they would’ve wanted to stabilize it right away. Tells me it’s either a bruise or muscular. Either way shouldn’t be long unless it was somehow his ACL

Meh on the performance. Hard to be upset with three wins in three, and three clean sheets, but still some questions. Not impressed with the attack, largely because Zardes does little to nothing

NML

A 1-1 draw vs Chile with basically the second team is fine. My only disappointment was that Berhalter bunkered in for the last 20 - why are we trying to grind results in friendlies? Just stick with the system.

Hopefully Omar showed enough to never come back. Horvath is a distant #3 for me and maybe not even that when you consider Guzan. Zardes did enough for me to say he’s going to be in camp every time going forward (only player to play in every match), but it’s going to be Jozy if he can get/stay healthy.

Quick guess for Gold Cup

GK: Steffen, Johnson, Guzan
FB: Yedlin, Adams, Ream, Garza, Lima
CB: Brooks, Long, Miazga, Zimmerman
Holding: Bradley, Trapp
CM: Pulisic, McKennie, Lletget, Roldan
Wings: Arriola, Morris, Lewis, Wood
FWD: Altidore, Zardes

Wood not getting called in means he’s a bit of a long shot, but it’s hard to imagine he’s not there and someone like Corey Baird is. Yedlin probably starts at winger with Arriola on the other side, Adams at RB.

Almost always a surprise call up, maybe Romain Gall, Kenny Saief, or some U23 like Weah or Sargent

doh

Zardes is in great form. He just creates goals. I'm probably the highest on him of anyone in the country but I've always liked him.

I agree I never want to see Omar again. He looks finished. Horvath's passing was horrific.

That's a great roster guess. Baird/Weah I bet would make it over Lewis/Wood depending on how Baird plays for RSL. Lewis isn't even first choice on NYCFC. Wood's had a bad year although I guess he has more flexibility than Baird/Weah. I also think maybe one more CM or FW and only 3 out and out wingers with the idea that Pulisic or Yedlin could slide out there. Maybe Novakovich if he continues to play well for Fortuna.

NML

Don’t know if much has made me feel as old as watching Claudio Reyna’s son playing for the US

NML

Long went down with an injury last night. Luckily Miazga and CCV had great runs to end the season, so I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal if he does miss the GC. Yedlin also had surgery last week. Haven’t seen a time table

Rumor is that Weah, Adams, and Sargent will be with the GC squad and not the U20 World Cup. Adams I get, Weah is fine, but Sargent has barely played. For me, I’d rather him play every minute versus being our third striker (I can’t seem him starting over Zardes just based on Berhalter having never worked with him). Also, if this was going to happen this way, why weren’t Weah and Sargent with the full NT in March? Weird choices

U20 roster is coming out tomorrow, I think. There’s a timeline where we call our best under 20’s and we have a legit shot at winning, but it’s not this one. Still should be a good squad though

And U17’s start the knockout round of qualifying at 6pm today. Have to win two games to go to the U17 WC in the fall. There’s a couple REALLY nice players on this squad - Busio, Reyna, and Las the GK (who made one of the coolest saves I’ve seen)