• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

NML

The new Concacaf WCQ format is so dumb

http://bit.ly/2xIj5OE

I mean it’s great for the US, and ultimately CONCACAF is going to set up to make the path for US/Mexico as easy as possible, but it just sucks for all those teams on the fringe. If you are the 7th best team, you have to win your group of 4, then win three knockout games, then beat the 4th place hex team and THEN you go to a playoff match against another confederation.

It’s clearly a way to make the Nations League and Gold Cup more important aka profitable

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations

giphy.gif

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The new Concacaf WCQ format is so dumb

http://bit.ly/2xIj5OE

I mean it’s great for the US, and ultimately CONCACAF is going to set up to make the path for US/Mexico as easy as possible, but it just sucks for all those teams on the fringe. If you are the 7th best team, you have to win your group of 4, then win three knockout games, then beat the 4th place hex team and THEN you go to a playoff match against another confederation.

It’s clearly a way to make the Nations League and Gold Cup more important aka profitable

I'm reading this right? Hex starts next September, with the top 6 teams from FIFA rankings participating. Top 3 qualify for WC. The rest of the CONCACAF teams play in a tournament, where that winner plays the 4th place team in the hex for the right to play in the playoff for the WC?

Yikes. I'm not sure how much easier that really makes qualifying for the US, because the "challenge" has always been the hex.

It also gives teams a big incentive to manipulate their world ranking to get directly into the hex.

Such a shitty federation. Too bad CONMEBOL is just as bad.

Snorky's Shame

Top six right now:

Mexico
United States
Costa Rica
Jamaica
Honduras
El Salvador (lol, this team would finish dead last in MLS, they’re shit)

This format is designed to give the Caribbean countries more games. I thought we have the Nations League for that.

NML

Not sure why they wouldn’t use Nations League as the qualifying platform for the hex. Four group winners plus you could add two play in games for the runners up. As of now, it doesn’t really do anything for the top teams besides a chance to put the US and Mexico against each other again.

It’s bad for the fringe teams, 7 to 12 or whatever, and good news for everyone else. If you are Bermuda, you don’t really have a chance to make the World Cup via the hex, but you could certainly benefit for 3-5 extra windows of competitive games that are so hard to come by (even if it ultimately still ends in elimination). If you’re the US, playing Saint Vincent and the Grenadines doesn’t do anything for you besides a possibility of tripping up before the hex.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I wonder if it's a way to make the big teams pay attention to the Nations League? You don't want to send a B team now and tank your world ranking right before the whole thing is seeded. But I don't know enough about how FIFA world rankings work to know that for sure.

NML

Dest still starting with Ajax... at left back. I think he might prefer his right foot doe

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
He'll probably play the Dutch Supercup next weekend. First two leftbacks aren't back from Copa America and not fit. At worst, he'll be on the bench.

Reactions: NML

NML

This probably doesn’t mean much, but I also said that when another teen played for them during a US tour

He was a lot of fun to watch during the u17’s

doh

Alex Mendez signs with Ajax.

Should be interesting. He is an incredible passer but plays zero defense. Not a great atholete/poor fitness. I'm sure Ajax will try to rectify those problems with their reserves side. Good news too is if he isn't good enough to play there, they'll move on quick so he won't be stuck at a club forever like some of these US guys.

doh

Seems like for the first time in a while in a few years there are lots of Americans to follow in Europe. Some interesting stuff this week with player movement:

* Gloster to PSV. Their defense has been awful so far and they have a loanee starting at LB so he's got a shot. Eerste Divisie is way higher level than he's played and he's 19 so that's good too. He will play a lot for their 2nd team I imagine and perhaps get a shot to make some appearances with the first team. Fee was $280k could get to $1m which is something but not a lot.

*Mignolet to Club Brugge. Horvath is screwed there. Has to get out to get regular minutes.

*CCV to Stoke on a loan. Meh... needs to get off Spurs books. Getting loaned every year to another team isn't great for these guys careers. At least he will theoretically play this year.

*EPB to Austria Wien. Another guy who needs to get off a big teams books. He wasn't automatic starter at NAC Breda last year who was horrendous. Seems like a lost cause at this point. He's just not played a lot and he's 22. Seems like combo of injuries and terrible management. Maybe this is the year he can turn it around.

*Newcastle signed a new RB. Looks like Yedlin is on the way out. I've never really thought he was all that great but he's better than anything else currently at RB.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Steffen to Fortuna Dusseldorf on loan should be interesting. Looks like he'll be their number one, as far as I can tell. That's a good move for him. I wonder if he'll ever play for City, but he's at least playing at a higher level than MLS.

doh

Dest played final 40 min of league match and then final half today in CL qualifier. Looked better on Saturday than today. Pretty mixed-- some nice attacking moments followed by terrible giveaways and fouls. Still 18 and more promising than any other RB we have.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Thanks, putrid international break, now I don't have shit to watch tomorrow. Iowa-Rutgers? I'd rather eat Chick-fil-A

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Holden is a retard. Calling Morales "a player that's in good form" is the guy who Lozano just ran by like he's standing still

doh

I didn't like Berhalter being named HC but didn't hate it... I still have no clue why US Soccer waited 12 months to hire an MLS coach. WTF were they waiting for?

But honestly it's not his fault. The players just aren't good enough.

doh

Dest turned down US call-up. Hopefully this ends soon either way.

It's almost been a perfect storm to screw the US: Dest becomes starting RB out of no where, Dutch have no good RB, US calls him up and plays him out of position for 2 bad friendlies.

doh

Also 4 Americans in the UCL... yay!

Adams/Weah- hurt
Pulisic- never plays
Dest- potentially gone

Oh fluff.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Potentially? The US is never gonna complete for a WC in his lifetime. He'd definitely be our best RB but at least the Netherlands MIGHT contend, even if he he just MIGHT play. If I'm him it's an easy call.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
He can pick up a UEFA Nations League Trophy with the Dutch or something. USA won't even win the CONCACAF Nations League.

Snorky's Shame

I’d like to keep watching this US game but there’s just so much more interesting things to watch.

Klinsmann might be right saying this is a waste of time for the US and Mexico.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I actually forgot about Cannon. Losing Dest isn't a catastrophe.

doh

Kinda excited for this match in Canada. They have some serious attacking talent and I figure Toronto will be rocking.

doh

Berater sucks and should be fired.

But the players deserve lots of the blame. They just play with zero passion. The first time I'd seen in a while was that Gold Cup Final but it's gone. Some of it is on Berhalter but at some point they have to show up.