• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 11 - The Civil ConFLiCT

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Is there going to be a point where commercials ruin watching college football. Look at this, from Michigan - Minnesota, which was a shitty game that went quick because neither team could pass:

There are multiple breaks where the commercial time is roughly equal to the real time between commercials. The worst part about this is the revenue from these commercials go to people like Jim Delaney or (insert AD here) and virtually zero goes to the guys actually generating that revenue.

Renegade

Charge on!
Is there going to be a point where commercials ruin watching college football. Look at this, from Michigan - Minnesota, which was a shitty game that went quick because neither team could pass:

There are multiple breaks where the commercial time is roughly equal to the real time between commercials. The worst part about this is the revenue from these commercials go to people like Jim Delaney or (insert AD here) and virtually zero goes to the guys actually generating that revenue.

Yeah, I feel like the commercials should be less frequent and more pre-planned like in basketball. We know that after the next change of possession after the 10 minute mark, there will be a commercial break, for instance.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, I feel like the commercials should be less frequent and more pre-planned like in basketball. We know that after the next change of possession after the 10 minute mark, there will be a commercial break, for instance.

As long as it's the commercials for a game on ESPN, that's fine. Those CBS games that go commercials at all of the normal times PLUS whenever there's a timeout are terrible.

Lightningwar

Administrator

Been ruining it for decades. Went on a visit to Colorado when they played CSU in 95. Game started around 9pm mountain time. We left at the beginning of the 4th quarter after midnight. Every 3rd play was a commercial break. My dad said "I dont know how anybody can get tired out there when they have so many breaks in between a couple of plays.".

Gatorfan4life

UCF Alumni
I laugh about the civil conflict thing every time I see it. Its ridiculous. you cant just create a rivalry out of thin air. I hope they keep trying to give us that trophy and we keep leaving it or sending it back.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

Been ruining it for decades. Went on a visit to Colorado when they played CSU in 95. Game started around 9pm mountain time. We left at the beginning of the 4th quarter after midnight. Every 3rd play was a commercial break. My dad said "I dont know how anybody can get tired out there when they have so many breaks in between a couple of plays.".

My first or second game as a Michigan student was Michigan-Houston in 1992. David Klinger had left for the 92 draft so Houston had some unprepared QB at the helm of the Run and Shoot. The game was on ABC at 3:30 since both teams were ranked in the top 20. Michigan DC Lloyd Carr and the Michigan defense made it a long night for the Houston offense. Houston had many three and outs which took like 20 seconds off the game clock. Michigan won 63-7 and the game got over a little past 8 o'clock. 4.5+ hour game!

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

The free education is worth more than zero.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The free education is worth more than zero.

Don't trog at me.

I know you're not being serious, but let's talk numbers. The Big Ten is getting $2.64 billion over 6 years for football TV rights. That's $440 million a year. There are 1,190 football players in the Big Ten. That means each football player is generating about $370,000 per year. In return for that, they're getting a $50,000 scholarship? Seems fair! And this is just TV revenue, not accounting for ticket sales or merchandise sales.

These numbers are obviously simplistic, but it's a pretty ridiculous contrast.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Don't trog at me.

I know you're not being serious, but let's talk numbers. The Big Ten is getting $2.64 billion over 6 years for football TV rights. That's $440 million a year. There are 1,190 football players in the Big Ten. That means each football player is generating about $370,000 per year. In return for that, they're getting a $50,000 scholarship? Seems fair! And this is just TV revenue, not accounting for ticket sales or merchandise sales.

Something something I'd play for free. :nebraskaman:

jdlikewhoa

Don't trog at me.

Well let's be realistic. That $50,000 scholarship is really worth $200,000 when it saves you from paying student loans/interest for the next 25 years.

Bdub

I'm all for paying the players but I don't see how you ever make it work. I think it would end in there being 5 or 6 great teams and then everyone else. It would be the football version of the NBA.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I'm all for paying the players but I don't see how you ever make it work. I think it would end in there being 5 or 6 great teams and then everyone else. It would be the football version of the NBA.

Pay schedules for everybody. Then allow players to profit from their name and likeness.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Apparently the trophy is missing and the rivalry is over.

tenor.gif

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

Is college football not like this already?

Bdub

Is college football not like this already?
No, there may be only a few teams every year that have a chance, but there are a lot of teams that can get themselves to that level. Look at the rise of Clemson for an example, or Georgia this year. Georgia won't be there every year but they can make a run once in a while. If you start paying players, you will never see a team outside of the blue bloods compete for a championship.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
No, there may be only a few teams every year that have a chance, but there are a lot of teams that can get themselves to that level. Look at the rise of Clemson for an example, or Georgia this year. Georgia won't be there every year but they can make a run once in a while. If you start paying players, you will never see a team outside of the blue bloods compete for a championship.

Clemson and Georgia aren't blue bloods?

I think it will make it easier if you pay the players properly. If you're say, Ole Miss, your boosters can just start dropping cash directly on the players to get them to come. Smaller schools without cash will disadvantaged, but that's already the case. You can make it so not much changes.

coogrfan

My first or second game as a Michigan student was Michigan-Houston in 1992. David Klinger had left for the 92 draft so Houston had some unprepared QB at the helm of the Run and Shoot. The game was on ABC at 3:30 since both teams were ranked in the top 20. Michigan DC Lloyd Carr and the Michigan defense made it a long night for the Houston offense. Houston had many three and outs which took like 20 seconds off the game clock. Michigan won 63-7 and the game got over a little past 8 o'clock. 4.5+ hour game!

The qb in '92 was David's little brother Jimmy, and we weren't ranked (4-7 the year before, finished '92 4-7 too...the beginning of a lost decade for UH football). 4+ hour games were routine for us in the R&S era.

Brick

For all the people complaining about Alabama and Clemson or whatever, college football, at least if you're in a power five conference, gives you a chance to make a run at a national championship. I think the Big XII is a perfect example of this. Every single progrum, with the exception of Iowa State, in that conference has flirted with a BCS title game or playoff appearance in the past 10 years. Even the Kansas schools and Baylor. Of course the blue blood progrums are going to be more consistent from year to year, but no program truly has no hope.

As bad as Kansas, Oregon State, Wazzu, Wake, UNC, Rutgers have been in the past, they have all had really great seasons in the past 10-15 years and have been among the best teams in the country.

Bdub

Clemson and Georgia aren't blue bloods?

I think it will make it easier if you pay the players properly. If you're say, Ole Miss, your boosters can just start dropping cash directly on the players to get them to come. Smaller schools without cash will disadvantaged, but that's already the case. You can make it so not much changes.
For this to work you have to believe that all schools cheat. I think the reality is not that many schools have boosters that outright pay players. I think the reality is more grey. I think it's more like great player comes and maybe somebody buys them a car or takes their family to Disneyland kind of thing.

goblue96

For this to work you have to believe that all schools cheat. I think the reality is not that many schools have boosters that outright pay players. I think the reality is more grey. I think it's more like great player comes and maybe somebody buys them a car or takes their family to Disneyland kind of thing.

Or an RV. UCLA great Steve Bono lived in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Soon after he committed to UCLA, a brand new RV appeared his parents driveway.

Renegade

Charge on!

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Still a well above average season for State if they can win out. They won't. Will it be BC, Wake, or UNC? I'm gonna go with BC AND Wake.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
"Civil Conflct must be the most rubbish faux rivalry out there with the only common thread being Sandy Hook and Pulse Orlando. Convoluted rivalries are trash. Lock em up and kill em all. #mdr #honteaux" -Hachikus

Renegade

Charge on!
Exactly which of Mississippi State's wins is so good that it offsets two losses, a near loss to UMass, and is better than the beat down UCF delivered to a ranked Memphis team?

Renegade

Charge on!
Top 5 is the same, TCU up to 6th. Miami and Wisconsin getting no respect.

Some thoughts on Wisconsin relative to UCF:

UCF and Wisconsin have a similar strength of schedule.
Both teams are undefeated.
UCF's best win is better than Wisconsin's best win.
And the 2 teams even shared a common opponent. UCF beat Maryland by 28 on the road. Wisconsin beat Maryland by 25 at home.

Tell me again why they are 8th and we are 18th?​

goblue96

And the 2 teams even shared a common opponent. UCF beat Maryland by 28 on the road. Wisconsin beat Maryland by 25 at home.

Why is Alabama 2nd and Wisconsin 8th and UCF 18th?

Because the media rates the SEC higher than the B1G which is rated higher than POW6R. That in turn trickles down the "selection committee" with a little from a cable sports network headquartered in Bristol, CT. So, here we are.

NML

Why is Alabama 2nd and Wisconsin 8th and UCF 18th?

Because the media rates the SEC higher than the B1G which is rated higher than POW6R. That in turn trickles down the "selection committee" with a little from a cable sports network headquartered in Bristol, CT. So, here we are.

Bama has been to five of the past eight NCG, winning four. Don’t think they need any SEC BIAS to help them be ranked highly

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad

Does it matter? The Cartel isn't gonna put a Group of 5 team in the playoffs unless their is total Armageddon

Renegade

Charge on!
Does it matter? The Cartel isn't gonna put a Group of 5 team in the playoffs unless their is total Armageddon

I don't really expect to make the playoff. That the fix is in on that is evident. But I'd at least like to be ranked like similar teams.

Last edited: