• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 14 Thread - Sussudio

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Glad I didn’t bother wasting time writing up.

Both sides of the ball, OU has superior talent up front. You can mitigate that on offense but you sure can’t on defense. OSU had no chance. In 1-2 years time that’ll change, as their defense and offense both mature up front, + a maturing QB in Sanders who may be the most gifted in conference. OSU fans don’t see it now but Gundy has done one of his best coaching jobs yet. I don’t care what anyone says, this was a great season. If we can get Wallace or Hubbard back, we are automatically contenders for the Big 12. Gameplan wise, not a whole lot Gundy/offense could do. They just got beat up front.

Specifically, 2021-22 looks like the big year for OSU. Sanders a junior, time to develop skill talent, and a senior heavy defense.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I just want it to be noted that Minnesota football's best season in 60 years included getting bitchslapped by both Wisconsin and Iowa, Gophers basketball is straight dumpster fire, Twins got swept by the Yankees for the billionth year, and KIRK will most certainly blow the Vikings season on some dumbass play.

Glad I'm not a Gopher so I can pretend like I don't actually care. At least I can cheer for a good hockey team instead of being stuck with their shitty ass team to top it all off.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Mike Gundy corches scared against OU.
This a bad take, there’s simply too much difference in talent on both sides up front. Without Gallimore and Murray next season, our offensive front will likely present more challenges for OU next season. On the flip side, we have a ton of freshman and sophomore defensive players in general but especially up front. That’s the difference. Next two years will be perfect opportunities for OSU to make runs at a Big 12 title.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I just want it to be noted that Minnesota football's best season in 60 years included getting bitchslapped by both Wisconsin and Iowa, Gophers basketball is straight dumpster fire, Twins got swept by the Yankees for the billionth year, and KIRK will most certainly blow the Vikings season on some dumbass play.

Glad I'm not a Gopher so I can pretend like I don't actually care. At least I can cheer for a good hockey team instead of being stuck with their shitty ass team to top it all off.
And yet, I don't feel bad for you.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
This a bad take, there’s simply too much difference in talent on both sides up front. Without Gallimore and Murray next season, our offensive front will likely present more challenges for OU next season. On the flip side, we have a ton of freshman and sophomore defensive players in general but especially up front. That’s the difference. Next two years will be perfect opportunities for OSU to make runs at a Big 12 title.

I was just trying to get you to show up after you didn't give me a PREVIEW WRITEUP of the game. :laughing:

Soonerfan09

Glad I didn’t bother wasting time writing up.

Both sides of the ball, OU has superior talent up front. You can mitigate that on offense but you sure can’t on defense. OSU had no chance. In 1-2 years time that’ll change, as their defense and offense both mature up front, + a maturing QB in Sanders who may be the most gifted in conference. OSU fans don’t see it now but Gundy has done one of his best coaching jobs yet. I don’t care what anyone says, this was a great season. If we can get Wallace or Hubbard back, we are automatically contenders for the Big 12. Gameplan wise, not a whole lot Gundy/offense could do. They just got beat up front.

Specifically, 2021-22 looks like the big year for OSU. Sanders a junior, time to develop skill talent, and a senior heavy defense.
Nope. OU’s oline and dline only getting better hermano.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

I root for like 60 teams and none of them went 10-2 (besides 10WINNESOTA)

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
I still think OU, if they win next week, gets absolutely exposed in the playoffs. Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson are just far superior in talent up front, and OU’s secondary is soft as fuck

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Nope. OU’s oline and dline only getting better hermano.
No shit. But having more mature/experienced players up front closes the gap for a competitive game. And that will make for a huge difference.

After that it’ll come down to QB play.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I still think OU, if they win next week, gets absolutely exposed in the playoffs. Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson are just far superior in talent up front, and OU’s secondary is soft as fuck

No doubt. But making the playoff is better than not making the playoff.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I guess. This whole sport is fucked competitively, so I really only care about conference competition these days. I don’t think any big 12 team will compete nationally (like truly compete) for a while.

Maybe. OU is about to have their 4th straight top 10 CROOTIN class so we'll see.

Edit: CURTIN, sorry.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

CandidCourteousChamois-small.gif

Soonerfan09

They won’t get exposed, everyone already knows who OU is and who the best teams in the country are. It’s tOSU, LSU, Clemson, and two other schools.
No shit. But having more mature/experienced players up front closes the gap for a competitive game. And that will make for a huge difference.

After that it’ll come down to QB play.
As long as OU keeps getting better up front defensively, it won’t be a competitive game. OSU has been able to compete recently because they’ve held their own up front (and then some) and been able to get the ball to their play makers. OSU missing their best WR and starting QB helped OU a lot tonight, but a legit dline (and to a further extent, a good secondary which OU will hopefully develop as well) will further the talent gap between OU and OSU. It isn’t going to get close.

Obviously OSU can still knock OU off, but the talent gap isn’t getting closer.

Lightningwar

Administrator
FSU game went about as expected. Comical at times. Like when Gata decides up 23 points to fake a punt from their own 19 and fail. Only to be outdone by FSU's inept playcalling\execution and they missed a FG.

Regular season is done. One more game of Harlon Barnetts idiocy. This week we should hopefully have a new head coach that can attempt to fix the disaster Jimbo Fisher left and Taggart made worse.

Overall not a bad day though. Miami lost, Dumbo lost by 43 points, Bama not going to CFP.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

lmbo @TonyGin&Juice left TITLE TOWN for this?

digs

sun of nothing
ASU season went pretty much like last year. 7-5 isn't bad, especially given the number of freshman ASU played. I think the team could have went 10-2 just as easy as 4-8. Somehow pretty much always in a < 7 point game. After going 4 games \ 6 weeks without even having a lead, last 2 games were pretty satisfying. I'd be really curious to see the amount of time ASU lead games this year. I think outside of Kent State and Sacramento state, we didn't hold a lead until there was less than 3 minutes left in any game til Oregon. Overall I think the team exceeded expectations, despite the 4 game losing streak. Had fun trogging up and going to the games too. HERM you got me for another year.

I think Eno Benjamin announced he was going out for the draft while I was driving home (or so my dad said anyway). Think that'd be kinda weird. Only needs like 900 rushing yards to be ASU's career leading rusher, and he had a decent but not really spectacular year this year -- mostly due to a makeshift offensive line and everyone stacking the box against a freshman QB. I think Jayden Daniels is the real deal if he stays healthy and doesnt just plateau. He's been a bit inconsistent in placing the ball at times, though some fault lies on next to no offensive line protection for the first 10 games, and a really high number of drops, but thought his decision making looked great for a freshman. Will miss Aiyuk next year doe.

Wooly

Maybe. OU is about to have their 4th straight top 10 CROOTIN class so we'll see.

Edit: CURTIN, sorry.
What is wrong with their defense with all these highly ranked recruiting classes? OU used to live off their defense under Stoops. It's like a complete 180 now, all points and no defense.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
What is wrong with their defense with all these highly ranked recruiting classes? OU used to live off their defense under Stoops. It's like a complete 180 now, all points and no defense.

Mike Stoops didn't know how to stop an offense that wasn't three yards and a cloud of dust.

Wooly

Mike Stoops didn't know how to stop an offense that wasn't three yards and a cloud of dust.
I meant with Bob Stoops as HC, but
I don't follow football as much as I used to. When did OU last have good defenses? It seems like it started slipping the last few years under Bob, but was great most of his time there, especially with Venables as DC.

Either way, it's hard to understand how a team with so much athletic talent can be so bad on defense, even with a bad coordinator. You would think the talent alone would come through at a certain level. They seemed completely inept the last couple of years.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
OU's defense in 2015 wasn't terrible, but other than that they've been bad (or worse) since 2010-ish. Mike Stoops didn't really have a scheme or plan for trying to defend spread offenses and it showed in how he recruited. Grinch at least has a philosophy.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Well a huge part of that is skewed towards offensive side of the ball. Riley's team is incredible at attracting high-caliber athletes on that side of the house.

The other half of the equation is that everyone woefully overrates/estimates the talent on defense. Motley, Brown, Turner-Yell, Boo Radley, and whoever else they trot out there at DB are undersized, soft DBs that wouldn't sniff the field in SEC or Big 10 land. Nevil Gallimore and Kenneth Murray are the only two athletes on that side of the ball that are anything exceptional. They have decent athleticism at defensive line but that's kind of it.

All these years of getting trashed downfield against high powered offenses were a function of a few things:
1) Extremely talented QBs up and down the Big 12 playing in efficient, cutting-edge offensive systems.
2) Being anchored by a defensive coordinator that was trying to run schemes that simply were too complicated for the players on the field.
3) Everyone collectively overrating OU's defensive talent because they're a top tier college program, their defensive players must be superior athletically.

If you want to see athleticism, look at Baylor's defense. They've got some athletes up front and that's why their D is #1 in the Big 12. Until teams are able to steal more SEC talent, the Big 12 will always lag behind on the defensive line. Why?

Demographics. Do a simple demographics assessment and you'll see we lack sorely in population compared to the PAC, B1G, and SEC. Hell, where did the spread evolve? Where do the modern trends repeatedly come from? Big 12 country. Why?

It's like a market. Flyover country lacks superior/elite talent up front and what it does produce gets poached by SEC land. Inefficiencies up front drive innovation elsewhere. But anyway, the Big 12's population issue puts them behind the 8 ball specifically at defensive line. The first wave of anti-spread innovations is already here with most teams resorting to a 3-down front and flooding the field with DBs. Iowa State and Baylor, arguably the two best defenses in the conference this year, are at the forefront of this push. I'm curious what the next trend is on either side of the ball for flyover country.

OU's defense in 2015 wasn't terrible, but other than that they've been bad (or worse) since 2010-ish. Mike Stoops didn't really have a scheme or plan for trying to defend spread offenses and it showed in how he recruited. Grinch at least has a philosophy.
That 2015 defense I think was better. But you also have to consider 2015 was a down year. Mahomes and Rudolph were growing/emerging into starting roles. Baylor had QB injuries. TCU had Boykin but those wheels came off mid-season due to injuries. Iowa State was still Iowa State, Kansas etc. Looking back at it, the Big 12 was down that year. It's similar in that way to this year. Lots of new coaches/QBs. While Grinch is absolutely an improvement, wouldn't celebrate yet. Look who returns:

-Charlie Brewer, best QB in the conference (IMO)
-Purdy, 2nd best QB
-Sanders, with another offseason to learn the offense he runs + understand defenses across the league
-Seth Doege, a QB that looks pretty darn salty
-Possibly Ehlinger?
-Both Duffey and Bowman at Tech, both solid QBs.

The next season is shaping up to be the deepest for the Big 12 since maybe 2008/2010/2011. Next season is a far better litmus test for Grinch than this season. I like Rattler's ability, but until someone proves it at the D-1 level you just never know how that's going to shape up. Some fun QB battles to be had though.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Grinch is getting better ATHOLETES on defense. Lots of tall, rangy, fast guys who like to hit people. Blows my mind how bad OU has been at tackling the past few years. Hard to coach bad habits and techniques out of kids completely in one year.

Haven't seen enough of Rattler yet to be able to tell if he'll be a star but I get the feeling he will. The rest of the skill talent on offense is ridiculous and Bedenbaugh has earned my trust; the OL has had its struggles this year (four new starters) but they've gotten better as the year has gone on.