• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 6 2015

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Not a lot of great matchups this week. Only two games where both teams are ranked in the top 25:

Northwestern at Michigan - top two scoring defenses in D-1....final score could be 3-2.

Cal at Utah - BYU is still the best team from Utah that Michigan has played @Bdub but somehow Utah is ranked 5th and host 23rd ranked Cal....a team that I know nothing about.

In other "marquee" matchups:

Charlie Strong continues the death march of the Longhorns with a trip to the Cotton Bowl to get pounded by Oklahoma.

#22 Iowa hosts a plucky Illinois team who just "upset" Nebraska

Notre Dame hosts Navy in a rivalry game that no one outside of South Bend understands

Georgia travels to Knoxville to see how Butch Jones will outcorch hissself this week

Baylor goes to Lawrence, Kansas to see if this is the week that the Bears score 100.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Can't wait to read all of you people complain about the slog that Michigan-Northwestern will be. I think there's a good chance it's a 10-3 final score.

I still don't know if Northwestern is actually legit or not. They got the bad version of Kevin Hogan, which is the only reason they throttled Stanford like they did. And besides that team, they've really not played a good team. You could say the same thing for Michigan, except their defense has been more dominant.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Can't wait to read all of you people complain about the slog that Michigan-Northwestern will be. I think there's a good chance it's a 10-3 final score.

I still don't know if Northwestern is actually legit or not. They got the bad version of Kevin Hogan, which is the only reason they throttled Stanford like they did. And besides that team, they've really not played a good team. You could say the same thing for Michigan, except their defense has been more dominant.

There needs to be a prop bet of Baylor TDs against Kansas vs the total score of the Michigan-Northwestern game. :laughing:

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
after 2013 i'm not going to predict a 40-point win over texas. no way OU should have lost that game and they did. but texas is reel e bad this year.

Lightningwar

Administrator
after 2013 i'm not going to predict a 40-point win over texas. no way OU should have lost that game and they did. but texas is reel e bad this year.

I was in Dallas that day and went to the state fair. That was a shocking game. Hot as well that day as well.

Lightningwar

Administrator
FSU\Miami this weekend. Miami comes off a pathetic loss to Cinci but FSU has all sorts of offensive woes after a lame win against WF. Dalvin Cook is most likely not playing this weekend and Pender is out which puts a couple of unprovens in at RB. This has the making of a signature win for that used car salesman looking Al Golden. Which they will do nothing with except prolong his stay.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
31-13? more like 31-28, with the refs spotting OSU 20 yards on a 5-yard run late in the 4th to put them in FG range for the win

bruin

the fact that Larry Scott schedules these Thursday night games in LA is fucking mind bottling.

Going to be 50k at kickoff Thursday night at the Coliseum. Same with at the Rose Bowl in two weeks against Cal.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Baylor is averaging 9.4 yards per play. Leading the nation in yards per game at 745, which is 115 yards more than 2nd place.

Against Texas Tech, Baylor ran for 368 yards, at an average of 7.08 yards per carry. Both of those numbers brought their season averages down.

-YTC

Brick

Oregon is somehow a 20 point favorite over Washington State. Jump on that @PSUEagle. I'm not sure they even cover that with Adams at QB. Wazzu has played over their head against Oregon since Leach showed up. Not sure why this year will be different, especially considering Oregon's pass defense. Should be a good game.

Boston College is -9 against Wake Forest. BC has scored 24 points in their last three games combined, and two of those were 7 and 0 totals. Wake has been competitive in every game this year and has scored at least 16 in every contest. I don't see BC putting up more than 20 points. That offense is putrid. A double digit line for a team like that is crazy.

Penn State -8 against...anyone is fairly questionable. Indiana looks okay on offense even with the backups in.

Pitt is also -8 against Virginia, who is coming off a bye.

Man, lots of TD+ lines for bad teams/offenses this week.

Last edited:

Bdub

Not a lot of great matchups this week. Only two games where both teams are ranked in the top 25:

Northwestern at Michigan - top two scoring defenses in D-1....final score could be 3-2.

Cal at Utah - BYU is still the best team from Utah that Michigan has played @Bdub but somehow Utah is ranked 5th and host 23rd ranked Cal....a team that I know nothing about.

In other "marquee" matchups:

Charlie Strong continues the death march of the Longhorns with a trip to the Cotton Bowl to get pounded by Oklahoma.

#22 Iowa hosts a plucky Illinois team who just "upset" Nebraska

Notre Dame hosts Navy in a rivalry game that no one outside of South Bend understands

Georgia travels to Knoxville to see how Butch Jones will outcorch hissself this week

Baylor goes to Lawrence, Kansas to see if this is the week that the Bears score 100.
Utah will lose and it will hurt. Their DBs are not good enough and they will think they are bad ass being ranked #5. Combine those 2 and they will crash hard.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I'm curious @goblue96 why you say BYU is better than Utah. I only saw parts of the BYU game against Michigan. But even as a fan I wouldn't say that.

Utah is a killer of the bye week. I expect them to win this week despite all the distractions. They may be more prone to lose to ASU next week.

Interesting fact I recently learned:

In the first episode of Inside BYU Football (a behind-the scenes show that everyone's doing that is on BYUtv), a defensive player got a 15 yard penalty during a scrimmage. Bronco pulled the player aside and said that (I don't recall the exact number) about 75% of the time when the defense gets a 15 yard penalty the offense gets a TD out of it.

All season, I've paid attention to this. Only twice (out of perhaps 15 times or so?) did I see this penalty not result in a TD. And one of those was because there was less than 30 seconds left in a 17 point game.

An amazing stat!

PSUEagle

@Brick

Was thinking the same thing re: Wazzu when I saw that line. I very nearly played them when they were getting 17 last week against Cal. Even if you believe they have a letdown (I don't since Oregon is still everybody's Super Bowl in the Pac 12) the Ducks pass defense is so atrocious it won't matter, like you said.

As the resident Penn State guy who's subjected himself to watching that shitshow each week, I'll say this about that line: if that Diamanté kid or whatever his name is plays at QB PSU has a good shot at covering IMO. He simply doesn't have a DI arm or great athleticism. If the starter who got hurt vs OSU plays, I'd take IU straight up TBH.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I think Sudfeld should be playing, I think we just out for the rest of the OSU game. I like IU. It's at PSU but they scored 27 on OSU, so I'm guessing they can score at least that with Sudfeld and Howard back. As bad as IU's defense is, I doubt PSU scores more than that.

I wouldn't touch anything with Wazzu, they're so inconsistent. I wouldn't be surprised if they won and I wouldn't surprised if they lost by 40.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think Indiana has a better than even shot even if Sudfeld doesn't play. Penn State got out gained by freaking Army last week. Even with their best running backs out, that's not good. Indiana could score 20 and still win. If Sudfeld does play, I think it could get ugly for Penn State.

Bdub

I think Indiana has a better than even shot even if Sudfeld doesn't play. Penn State got out gained by freaking Army last week. Even with their best running backs out, that's not good. Indiana could score 20 and still win. If Sudfeld does play, I think it could get ugly for Penn State.
The whole conference is complete shit. When does OSU drop in the rankings?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The whole conference is complete shit. When does OSU drop in the rankings?

When they lose to Michigan.

Serious answer: probably soon. Another underwhelming performance like that, and it'll happen. The problem is they might pull a Florida State from last year and waltz into the playoff while looking shitty. The only teams that I think have a decent shot to beat them are Michigan State and Michigan. I don't think Michigan happens because their offense isn't good enough. Michigan State's back 7 is not that good this year so that's something you know urban will try to exploit.

Bdub

Michigan has a great shot at winning the conference. They are better than every team except OSU and that's a rivalry game so who knows what happens. How MSU couldn't exploit Oregons awful defense has to be a real concern for them.

bruin

Serious answer: probably soon. Another underwhelming performance like that, and it'll happen. The problem is they might pull a Florida State from last year and waltz into the playoff while looking shitty. The only teams that I think have a decent shot to beat them are Michigan State and Michigan. I don't think Michigan happens because their offense isn't good enough. Michigan State's back 7 is not that good this year so that's something you know urban will try to exploit.

Kannel said something similar today on Russillo. Gotta agree.

Watching Zeke Elliot bail out Cardale each week will be fascinating.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Ohio State plays Maryland this week. Michigan just beat Maryland 28-0, with Michigan's offense looking pretty shitty. If Ohio State doesn't beat them by a bigger margin, or their offense doesn't put up 28 points, then shit is really going to hit the fan.

This reminds me a lot of when Addazio came in as offensive coordinator for Urban when Mullen left. I could easily see Ohio State following that trajectory, and getting beaten in the first round of the playoff. Unless Michigan is actually 1997 Michigan this year, I don't think anyone beats Ohio State this year.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
I predict Skyler Howard continues to be a cocksucker at QB. At least it's a night game, so I have plenty of time to get drunk before heading to the stadium.

Also, wtf has happened to UCF @Renegade ?

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Ive been predicting Tennessee to beat Georgia all off-season....and then they just got absolutely dick punched by Arkansas so thats not looking good.

Im also nervy as fuck at UF going to Mizzou. Absolute trap waiting to happen.

bruin

I had Navy being the only L on the Irish schedule in the predictions thread.

Keenan Reynolds still thy gawd tho

Last edited:

Soonerfan09

I'm curious @goblue96

Interesting fact I recently learned:

In the first episode of Inside BYU Football (a behind-the scenes show that everyone's doing that is on BYUtv), a defensive player got a 15 yard penalty during a scrimmage. Bronco pulled the player aside and said that (I don't recall the exact number) about 75% of the time when the defense gets a 15 yard penalty the offense gets a TD out of it.

All season, I've paid attention to this. Only twice (out of perhaps 15 times or so?) did I see this penalty not result in a TD. And one of those was because there was less than 30 seconds left in a 17 point game.

An amazing stat!
You should have watched the OU last week. Pretty sure they had a 15 yard penalty on almost every one of WV's possessions.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
I leave the country and suddenly Iowa is 5-0 and ranked for the first time in 5 years.

Fucking typical.
Id say Iowa has to be the front runner to be the sacrificial lamb to Michigan State/Ohio State for the BIG title.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

PSUEagle

Ive been predicting Tennessee to beat Georgia all off-season....and then they just got absolutely dick punched by Arkansas so thats not looking good.

Im also nervy as fuck at UF going to Mizzou. Absolute trap waiting to happen.

:laughing:

Funny you bring those games up: I'm strongly considering taking UT and Mizzou. Really, if Butch Jones wasn't such a corch it'd be a no brainer for me: UGA's current QB's make Hutson Mason look like an All-American.

@Brick The Pitt line already jumped to -10:djscripclub:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Id say Iowa has to be the front runner to be the sacrificial lamb to Michigan State/Ohio State for the BIG title.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

We'll know more this week, but I think that's Northwestern. Iowa is going to come crashing down at some point. They are not a good football team. If Wisconsin had a QB or any sort of offense, they would have won that game 30-10.

DHawkeye

Eterna Optimis
We'll know more this week, but I think that's Northwestern. Iowa is going to come crashing down at some point. They are not a good football team. If Wisconsin had a QB or any sort of offense, they would have won that game 30-10.

The defense isn't really the problem (although we have terrible depth), but even if Iowa wins, I doubt it'll be smooth sailing through the league. We've gotten by mostly on guts and luck thus far. And all it'll take is one bad hit on Beathard, and you can kiss the B1G shampshrimp game goodbye.

That said, if the horseshoe currently lodged up Ferentz's ass stays put, we have about as good a shot as anybody. The West is so fucking awful this year.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
The defense isn't really the problem (although we have terrible depth), but even if Iowa wins, I doubt it'll be smooth sailing through the league. We've gotten by mostly on guts and luck thus far. And all it'll take is one bad hit on Beathard, and you can kiss the B1G shampshrimp game goodbye.

That said, if the horseshoe currently lodged up Ferentz's ass stays put, we have about as good a shot as anybody. The West is so fucking awful this year.

I think you mean "New Kirk"

Renegade

Charge on!
I predict Skyler Howard continues to be a cocksucker at QB. At least it's a night game, so I have plenty of time to get drunk before heading to the stadium.

Also, wtf has happened to UCF @Renegade ?

We promoted O'Leary lackey to OC, and he sucks. That is the biggest problem; his playcalling is bad, and his gameplan is bad.* Also the OL is awful on an epic level; like I'd guarantee there are D-2 schools with better O-lines. Incidentally, the OC was previously the OL coach. And O'Leary is trying to become AD so that he can make this guy the HC. Good news is that O'Leary is going to be dismissed at the end of the year (limited buyout on his contract, so he will "retire" I bet).

Also injuries and youth, but we should still be 3-2 with a decent OC and if we had an OL that could block my grandmother. The coaches were overconfident against FIU and thought they could run a vanilla offense with no effort and win that game. At least that shocked them out of their minds, then our starting JR QB went down on the first drive against Stanford and we've been playing a R-FR and true FR since then. Of course, O'Leary fucks with the kids' minds, and he is awful at a QB controversy. Apparently he told the FR that if he threw another INT (it happens when the DL is in the backfield before you have the snap), that he'd never play another down at UCF. So just O'Leary being an old curmudgeon fuck has made the situation go from really bad to atrocious.

Otherwise, there's a lot of youth; we lost a boatload of seniors last year and had a couple of guys declare early (Jacoby Glenn is a dumbass and listened to some agent), so we're recovering from that. But if O'Leary hadn't gotten rid of our previous OC, I think we're still sitting at 3-2 even with the injuries.

*There is a rumor that has been corroborated some that the OC is trying to install a more up-tempo gameplan and more passing and O'Leary is shitting on him during the game. I believe it, because O'Leary used to bitch at the previous OC for throwing the ball too much with Blake Fucking Bortles behind center, so this young guy who has only ever worked for O'Leary probably does as he's told. The good drives we had against USC and Tulane were all based on quick, short passing routes since the OL can't pass protect long (but pass protect way, way, way better than they run block), but we move away from it the next drive back to trying to be Wisconsin and/or running long, slow developing pass plays.

Also, against FIU, after the JR QB drove the team down the field on the last drive, O'Leary elected to center the ball and run it 3 times with under a minute left so the he could attempt a 42-yard "chip shot" [his exact words] FG with a true FR kicker whose sole experience thus far had been some wobbly XPs, instead of trusting his JR QB to keep moving the fucking ball and just scoring. So it's been pretty much all downhill since then since O'Leary pissed all over the offense's confidence by relying on a FR K. The kid doesn't have enough leg and had to kick it low, and I think FIU tipped it, but regardless, it was nowhere close. We also have another true FR K who has the nickname "Legatron" because he booms 65 yarders in practice and handles kickoffs for us, but he lost the O'Leary mindgame battle (he also tells the kickers he's going to cut them if they miss one) during the summer, so the guy with enough leg to kick it over the defense and with the power to get it there didn't get to kick because O'Leary likes to fuck with their minds and thinks "fieldmanship" [i.e., responding to his old school ways the way he wants] is more important than fucking ability. (This is also why we lost to Penn State in Ireland last year, because we started the D-2 quality QB with "fieldmanship" over a good QB)

Last edited:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
:laughing:

Funny you bring those games up: I'm strongly considering taking UT and Mizzou. Really, if Butch Jones wasn't such a corch it'd be a no brainer for me: UGA's current QB's make Hutson Mason look like an All-American.

@Brick The Pitt line already jumped to -10:djscripclub:
This may be the best quote Ive ever heard...Regarding Mizzou last year @ Florida.

Former Gators linebacker Michael Taylor: "The last two years we played them, they were just upstanding citizens. You would talk mess and would say something disrespectful to them and they were just like, 'OK.' They were just nice guys helping you off the field. And they were good, which kind of disturbed me. Like, 'Say something, talk trash, do something.' Don't just be nice."

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Karl Joseph sustained a season ending knee injury in practice. Best player on our team.

Football is such a stupid sport why do I even watch it. Fuck.
Yeah was coming to post. Awful news for y'all. We lost our MLB. Not the best player but still high quality and a long time starter.