• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

What is a base defense

fanoftgame

I've heard people say they are 4-3,3-4, 44 base defense. I have also heard people say they are a cover 2, cover 3 base dense.

Is your base defense your personel, coverage or both.

And to say you are a cover two or tampa two base team what does that mean? Does it mean you call that play more than any other. While watching old tampa games it seems like during running downs they where more of a 1 high look. Then on third down or passing down more of a tampa 2 look. Would they be considered base tampa two team?

NY_KIA31

I've heard people say they are 4-3,3-4, 44 base defense. I have also heard people say they are a cover 2, cover 3 base dense.

Is your base defense your personel, coverage or both.

And to say you are a cover two or tampa two base team what does that mean? Does it mean you call that play more than any other. While watching old tampa games it seems like during running downs they where more of a 1 high look. Then on third down or passing down more of a tampa 2 look. Would they be considered base tampa two team?

You got the right idea. Just because a team is say... A Tampa-2 base team..doesnt mean they are lining up in cover 2 sink on 4 yardline. on 1st and goal :) It's there "go to"..the thing they hang their hat on so to speak.

In this game, your base defense is that thing that is getting shredded every which way, no matter what you are in :)

fanoftgame

You got the right idea. Just because a team is say... A Tampa-2 base team..doesnt mean they are lining up in cover 2 sink on 4 yardline. on 1st and goal :) It's there "go to"..the thing they hang their hat on so to speak.

In this game, your base defense is that thing that is getting shredded every which way, no matter what you are in :)

Well at least you don't have to worry about pistol counter as the go to 3rd down and long play :grin:

But in all seriousness I really like teams like Iowa with Norm Parker and the Seahawks who very from their base very little and make adjustments through fronts and personnel. I'm trying to learn more about logical play-calling while deviating from the base as little as possible.