• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup - Round of 16 Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm so happpy for Green, literally everyone rides him like he's fucking seabiscuit and tries to think they are smarter than Pep and JK and how Donovan should be in or who knows, then he goes and does that. Fux da hatas, it's just like me in pro clubs.
You look more like Bradley in pro clubs.

Did people really hate on Greene? There were other guys worth cutting before Donovan in that argument.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Yedlin and Johnson as the wingbacks, going forward? Need to find the next Beckerman and Jones too, since they'll be arthritic before the next World Cup.

All things considered, getting to AET in the round of 16 was better than most people expected. And we were within Wondo's flubbed point blank shot of winning in regulation. But there's still a sizable talent gap between our team and the top teams in the world.

Soccer talk will obviously die down now in this country, but hopefully a decent number of casual fans will pay attention to MLS and/or European leagues now, too, and not go completely dormant for the next 4 years.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Match was between the 2 best keepers in the tournament and it lived up to it. Courtouis had some clutch saves

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Soccer talk will obviously die down now in this country, but hopefully a decent number of casual fans will pay attention to MLS and/or European leagues now, too, and not go completely dormant for the next 4 years.

Nah - soccer is as popular as ever in this country and is continuing to grow. I remember when few Americans were even aware that we were hosting the World Cup back in 1994. Now, I drive around and I see Chelsea stickers on cars, random people wearing Manchester United shirts, Barcelona ballcaps, Internatzionale pullovers, and Galaxy gear is nearly as common as say, Clippers or Anaheim Ducks gear. Long way to go before the Galaxy and other soccer clubs are in the forefront of the mind the way Lakers, Dodgers, etc. are, but 15-20 years ago, you probably couldn't find an American-born non-soccer fan who could name even ONE foreign soccer club or player.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Had more than a few at my buddies place so fuck this...

Tactics we used sucked. Dempsey as lone striker doesn't work and even though Wondo blows still should've used him earlier. The set up was to play way way too deep.

Anyone who defended Zusi on here should be banned from any soccer thread. He sucks. Same with Bedoya.

Also maybe sometime Bradley will find his touch. Maybe sometime before 2018. He fucking gave the ball away so many times he shouldn't have played this match. I know he is our "best field player" but my god he was a complete piece of shit this entire tournament. He also went back too deep.

Not really "proud" or feel "satisfaction" or whatever. We played legitimately pre-2002 style of jsut shell and try to counter. Nothing going forward. No advancement in the national side.

Finally if you don't think Landon would've helped go smoke some more crack.

Snorky's Shame

To be fair to Besler, a fresh attacker (especially one the size of Lukaku) against a defender on the field for 90 minutes isn't a fair fight. Just think of a short yardage FB on a tired LB.

No complaints here, Belgium deserved to go through. Now the US has to find a way to get Zelalem citizenship.

doh

To be fair to Besler, a fresh attacker (especially one the size of Lukaku) against a defender on the field for 90 minutes isn't a fair fight. Just think of a short yardage FB on a tired LB.

No complaints here, Belgium deserved to go through. Now the US has to find a way to get Zelalem citizenship.
The US didn't deserve to go through because we played so negatively. I just don't think JK had his best performance today.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Fuck that was frustrating. 2018 we can finally get these old fucks out and get good players in. Top 3 players? Green, Teflon, Rimando

doh

Green looked very confident when he came in. No big eyes. I approve. More of him and yedlin please
no more of Bedoya who did ZERO the entire tournament and Zusi who is good at… uh… anything?

/me ranting done

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
ITT Doh has no idea how this sport works when the opponent has the best winger in the EPL, the best CB in the EPL (sorry Kos), and a host of other guys making $100k a week. And we started MLS players, and Cameron out of position. And our best attacking fullback got hurt 10 minutes in.

And they rested like 7 of their starters before this game and had the shortest travel schedule.

Shall I go on?

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Damn midfield killed us all tournament.
Beasley & the defense were boss'n
Sucks Timmy had to lose that game.
That free kick where Dempsey had a 1 on 1 was a really really sexy set piece.

doh

ITT Doh has no idea how this sport works when the opponent has the best winger in the EPL, the best CB in the EPL (sorry Kos), and a host of other guys making $100k a week. And we started MLS players, and Cameron out of position. And our best attacking fullback got hurt 10 minutes in.

And they rested like 7 of their starters before this game and had the shortest travel schedule.

Shall I go on?
Yes the US wasn't the better side. I've never argued that. But it took an insane performance from Howard to get to Extra Time. Hard to win when you don't play a forward basically. Hard to relieve pressure.

If you think Dempsey playing up top is the best way to attack them then you probably have less of an idea how this sport works than I do.

Renegade

Charge on!
I'm still so fucking pissed at Wondolowski. Fucking "poacher" had one that I could have put in and he choked it. Sonofabitch!!!!!!! God damn, Aron or Boyd puts that shit in!

Clintmartian

Stringer Bell
Klinsmann should have a Good Will Hunting moment with Howard.

ezu5y8up.jpg

It's not your fault.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I don't think Bedoya is a bad player, he just doesn't really have a spot on this team the way they "want" to play, that's for sure. He's not good enough in the middle to facilitate wing play to Johnson/Beasley. He was just out of position at least tactically. Reminds me of drunk FIFA against my old roommate and taking the super teams and trying to get all the best players on the field. 2011 Man City with Carlos Tevez at CDM? sure

Renegade

Charge on!
I don't think Bedoya is a bad player, he just doesn't really have a spot on this team the way they "want" to play, that's for sure. He's not good enough in the middle to facilitate wing play to Johnson/Beasley. He was just out of position at least tactically. Reminds me of drunk FIFA against my old roommate and taking the super teams and trying to get all the best players on the field. 2011 Man City with Carlos Tevez at CDM? sure

What does he play in France, because he was on a roll last season.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Well, he was playing against Ligue 1 defenders :laughing: