• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup - Round of 16 Thread

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Guzan is pretty solid in the EPL, although I don't think he's up to Howard's caliber at this point. We also have a bunch of young keepers in the MLS who could make the jump to a European league or become international quality. Howard could still be around in 2018, too. 39 isn't an unheard of age for goalies, too. I'm not particularly worried about our goalies at this point.

39 is pretty old for international play. Of the 96 goalies on rosters at this World Cup, only 3 were 36 or older. Buffon from Italy (36), Faryd Mondragon from Colombia (43) and Noel Valladares from Honduras (37)

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I'm not really mad about the loss. I think we exceeded expectations in reaching the round of 16, and we could have easily won the game if Wondo wasn't the worst US striker since Robbie Findlay... But, overall, satisfied.

Biggest problem for the US squad was the lack of wingers. I don't know if their tracking back meant they couldn't factor in the attack (I doubt that, though), but they were invisible. Zusi had a couple of okay moments, but Bedoya was fucking terrible the entire tournament. I think if we had some better wingers, we could have beaten Belgium. We couldn't take advantage of their weakness back there.
Agree 100%. With how the formation/last two matches played out I thought Jürgen would've gone with some pace with Green or Johnson as a RW with Cameron at RB or something but we got more of Zusi/Bedoya. A good winger and we would've had a chance on counters.

I think that Bradley tracking back as much as he did made possession/attacking real hard too. It really was Dempsey by himself up ahead a ton.

Who Scored match ratings: http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/836751/LiveStatistics/International-FIFA-World-Cup-2014-Belgium-USA

Cameron was highest rated field player for US and second best in game. Howard got a 10. Zusi got a match worst 6.1 (Johnson was worse but went off early). Omar was awesome too.

ZeekLTK

We can take solace in knowing that at least we're not famous for having this:

statue_manneken_pis.jpg

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Eh, I think the Manneken pis adds character. Plus I think they put up a female version, which even just a bit weirder.

DanishDonut0

Still trying to bring my heart rate down from that game. I really thought Wondo was gonna sink that, when I saw him named to the roster (wanted GAM but...) I thought he would come up with one of his big poach goals but nope, GTFO.

Also have been waiting for Jurgen to release Green. Really thought he was going to in the Germany game but I'm not surprised he waited to keep him as a secret weapon for a bigger game. It was only a little too late. Every single touch he had was gold. I'd love to see a video of all of his touches, there were maybe 4 or 5 times that they switched the field to him and he controlled it with ease.

Despite some fantastic chances that we had, Belgium were the better team. As a goalkeeper I can't even describe Howard's performance or the moisture in all of my knickers.

NML

I hope we bring our A squad to the 2016 Copa America. It'll be nice to have a big tournament that summer to look forward to. Also some great experience for the team.

Summer Olympics - we have a legit chance to see the quarters or even semi's of that tournament.

Teflon, John Anthony Brooks, Green, Will Packwood, Cropper, Shane O'Neil, Luis Gil all have experience with the full national team. Plus you've got possible guys like Zelalem, Pelosi, Duane Holmes, Kellyn Acosta, Emerson Hyndman, Rubio Rubin, Caleb Stanko, and Paul Arriola who are either on the verge or have already cracked their club's first team rotation. Plus we've got Leroy already playing for the U20's in Ben Spencer.

The backline of Acosta, JAB, Packwood, and Yedlin is so dirty. Put O'Neil in front of them with Gil and Zelalem as attacking mids, Arriola and Green on the wings, Spencer up top. LAWD! That's to say nothing of the overage players - could be a great time for Boyd to finally see the field internationally and if Cropper's not ready, bring back TIMMAY! or Guzan.

Renegade

Charge on!
Summer Olympics - we have a legit chance to see the quarters or even semi's of that tournament.

Teflon, John Anthony Brooks, Green, Will Packwood, Cropper, Shane O'Neil, Luis Gil all have experience with the full national team. Plus you've got possible guys like Zelalem, Pelosi, Duane Holmes, Kellyn Acosta, Emerson Hyndman, Rubio Rubin, Caleb Stanko, and Paul Arriola who are either on the verge or have already cracked their club's first team rotation. Plus we've got Leroy already playing for the U20's in Ben Spencer.

The backline of Acosta, JAB, Packwood, and Yedlin is so dirty. Put O'Neil in front of them with Gil and Zelalem as attacking mids, Arriola and Green on the wings, Spencer up top. LAWD! That's to say nothing of the overage players - could be a great time for Boyd to finally see the field internationally and if Cropper's not ready, bring back TIMMAY! or Guzan.

What do you know about Amando Moreno?

NML

Basically correct. But you have to be born on or after Jan 1st of 93 to qualify as under 23. So guys like Joe Gyau and Agudelo won't qualify, despite being 23 at the time of the tournament.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Sounds like the well is filling up at least. As long as we have better players in the attacking spots than we did this year I'll be good. I am disappointed Beasley is old, he really was my favorite player with how he beat you guys over the head with great performances after you trashed him so much. Old man hard work work out there.

NML

As long as we have better players in the attacking spots than we did this year I'll be good.

To be fair, our best offensive player was hurt basically the entire tournament. Jozy holding up play to give our defense a breather and finishing Wondo's sitter are the difference in the game.

NML

I think that's why I'm so impressed that we did as well as we did.

We didn't have our only competent forward, our best field player was off all tournament, and obviously we had an extremely tough group draw. Yet we still advanced.

Besler, Beckerman, and Beasley all had great tournaments that we weren't expecting. Jones and Howard took it up a notch for their swan songs.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
To be fair, our best offensive player was hurt basically the entire tournament. Jozy holding up play to give our defense a breather and finishing Wondo's sitter are the difference in the game.

I know that, Jozy and Deuce weren't the problems, the depth was. So I'd just like to see us have better second options so when someone goes down like Jozy we don't have to put someone like Deuce up there. And then if we can get some of these young guys ready and they are better than what we had (Teflon and Green are already IMO) it will create even more problems for the opponents. This is the first time I'm actually excited about the next cycle. Before it was fun and we'd give it our best shot but the team lacked not only technical talent but also the ability to be dynamic. Teflon and Green are still far away technically but they have the ability to puber it up which can create a lot of accidental chances. It is what RW Leroy lived on.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
I don't mean to be a downer, but don't we get this wave of positivity every World Cup cycle? I feel like we always respond by saying "Well look how American soccer is developing, with this popularity our national team will grow to become more powerful". Maybe that's still the case and I'm too impatient, but that's probably been true since about 2002 or so when we had our best finish ever, and 12 years later half of our team is German dudes with GI fathers who didn't want to sit behind five guys in the German squad.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I don't mean to be a downer, but don't we get this wave of positivity every World Cup cycle? I feel like we always respond by saying "Well look how American soccer is developing, with this popularity our national team will grow to become more powerful". Maybe that's still the case and I'm too impatient, but that's probably been true since about 2002 or so when we had our best finish ever, and 12 years later half of our team is German dudes with GI fathers who didn't want to sit behind five guys in the German squad.

Yes, there's always a wave of enthusiasm around World Cup time that dissipates shortly thereafter. But it feels like each cycle gets a little better, in terms of people paying attention and caring.

As a small anecdotal example, in 2010, I had one other guy in my office who was mildly interested in watching WC games with me. Yesterday, I had the entire office in the conference room watching our game. Now, our company only has 9 guys, so take that with a grain assault. But still, my office went from almost no interest to everybody watching. There were still all the jokes being made about flopping, crying, etc. But that's how Travis was 4 years ago, and now he can name probably 100 African players. Maybe by 2018, the guys in my office will be able to name half the Premier League teams and actually know who some of the USMNT players are.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I am Tmang. Our whole Legal and half of our Land department came to the bar for the Germany game. At 11am on a Thursday or whatever. It was completely packed with business types that had to take off work. This one just seemed more involved than 2010, but maybe that is just me being more involved and more observant of it.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I am Tmang. Our whole Legal and half of our Land department came to the bar for the Germany game. At 11am on a Thursday or whatever. It was completely packed with business types that had to take off work. This one just seemed more involved than 2010, but maybe that is just me being more involved and more observant of it.

My girlfriend has gone from hating the fact that I spend all Saturday/Sunday mornings in the fall lazily going about waking up by lying on the couch and watching sports "where nothing happens" to wanting to become an Everton fan :laughing:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Nah b. The midfield is just awful. Couldn't advance the ball at all.

jdlikewhoa

If we were going to spend 90% of the game defending, Beckerman should've been playing instead of Bradley. Ironically enough we probably would've been able to generate more offense.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Hate on ESPN all you want, but they did a great job with promoting US soccer. People who just watch ESPN in the background everyday were exposed to more coverage of the USMNT than ever before. The series done by 30 for 30 was awesome too.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Local news on the other hand was a typical abortion. "Jozy. The best player? He has been rehabbing an injury from the first game against.........Ghana."

They don't understand any of the soccer-ish language and cannot pronounce anything correctly. It was hard to watch around here.

NML

Nah b. The midfield is just awful. Couldn't advance the ball at all.

Ur better than that, Lando. You know Jozy helps the midfield advance the ball. How often to we play the ball to Dempsey for him to get bulldozed by Kompany and friends? Two dozen?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That's fair, but also doesn't explain the half dozen passes we panicked and put out of bounds, or Bradley's touch.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The ball made it up to Dempsey? :laughing: speed out wide definitely opened things up. Teflon coming on made a huge difference, even though he replaced one of our best players of the tournament.

Jozy can hold up play, but dude is also frustrating weak with the ball at times.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Srs? Even tho I was driving, still was able to read the link... what about the fluuuuuuuuuuuuu?