• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Yankee's FM14 International Competitions

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
So as not to clog up the general thread with my sperging. I love international competitions, it's how I got into Soccer and will always have a special place in my heart. This extends to Football Manager, and lately I have been following in depth in these competitions. I will probably keep this thread and use it through various game saves I have. Light on the images, one because another post in spanish will send someone over the edge, and two because there's no way I keep this going with images.

The first save I will call Save A. This is the same save that I live blogged the 2022 World Cup on. As a manager I took Sion to the top of Switzerland (still there and a fair power in UCL play now) and then moved to Benfica, where I won the UCL after a very long title drought in 2024. Internationally I took Indonesia to the brink of 2022 WC Qualfication, and am now in charge of Portugal, though that may be subject to change. Of note in the game world is that I am using a USA fantasy mod with a 4-tier system and a combined North and South American Continental cup, so naturally the US and Canada have been performing well beyond their current status internationally.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Championships

Save A

World Cup(Top 4+Host)
2014[Brazil]: Spain def. France, Switzerland def. Belgium
2018[Russia]: Italy def. Belgium, France def. Croatia
2022[Qatar]: Croatia def. USA, Belgium def. England

Confederations Cup
2017[Russia]: Spain def. Belgium, South Korea def. Senegal
2021[Qatar]: Spain def. Argentina(PK), Italy def. Qatar
2025[USA]: Canada def. Croatia, Argentina def. USA

U-20 World Cup
2015[New Zealand]: Brazil def. USA
2017[Denmark]: France def. Brazil
2019[Morocco]: Argentina def. Brazil
2021[Spain]: Brazil def. Chile
2023[Netherlands]: Argentina def. Italy
2025[Denmark]: USA def. Iran

European Championship:
2016[France]: Belgium def. Spain
2020[Turkey]: Spain def. Romania
2024[Italy]: Spain def. England (Portugal: Semfinalist)

African Cup of Nations:
2015[Morocco]: Senegal def. Nigeria; Ghana
2017[Libya] Senegal def. Ghana; Nigeria
2019[Egypt] Cameroon def. Nigeria; Senegal
2021[Tunisia] Senegal def. Ghana; Cameroon
2023[Algeria] Nigeria def. Cameroon; Tunisia

Asian Cup
2015[Australia] South Korea def. Australia; Uzbekistan
2019[Kuwait] Iraq def. China, Iran
2023[China] Japan def. Iran, Bahrain

Gold Cup(All in USA)
2015: Mexico def. USA
2017: Canada def. Costa Rica
2019: Mexico def. Jamaica
2021: USA def. Honduras
2023: USA def. Canada
2025: Puerto Rico def. Mexico

Copa America
2015[Chile]: Argentina def. Uruguay, Colombia
2016[USA]: Uruguay def. USA, Brazil
2019[Brazil]: Argentina def. Peru, Brazil
2023[Ecuador]: Argentina def. Brazil, Chile

Olympic Games (U-23)
2016[Rio] Germany def. Argentina, Italy
2020[Tokyo] Italy def. Argentina, Brazil
2024[Joburg] USA def. Brazil, Italy

World #1 Team
June 2022-September 2026: Spain
Since October 2026: Portugal

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
2024 European Championship

The 2024 club season has come to an end, and the European Championship is about to kick off. We are here in Italy, home of the 2018 World Champions, who met a swift fall from grace after failing to qualify for Qatar 2022, and there are major questions about their talent. Alongside the Italians are the Germans, who are aching for a title after going so many years without one, the Spanish, who fell in the 2022 Quarterfinals but still hold 3 of the last 4 European titles, the English, who finished 4th in 2022, the Portuguese, with a Benfica-heavy side coming off a UCL victory (along with the return of Cristiano Ronaldo), among other very talented teams. Here are this year's groups, with their FIFA Rankings alongside.

Group A:
5. England
7. Croatia
27. Bosnia
30. Austria

Group B:
4. Belgium
12. France
18. Serbia
50. Slovakia

Group C:
1. Spain
13. Holland
26. Turkey
29. Norway

Group D:
22. Italy
14. Switzerland
25. Denmark
31. Nor. Ireland

Group E:
3. Germany
10. Russia
33. Scotland
63. Bulgaria

Group F:
8. Ukraine
9. Portugal
20. Romania
42. Georgia

All the groups look rather tough, though with 16 teams advancing perhaps there won't be too many surprises in play.
Croatia and England will battle it out for 1st in Group A, though the defending world Champions should be able to dispatch the English.
Group B sees 2016 winners and hosts Belgium and France face off, though Serbia are no slouches themselves despite not getting out of their 2022 group.
Group C sees a Spanish side hungry for their 5th Euro title, though they will have to navigate a tough group feature Holland, Norway and Turkey, who would probably be higher rank had they qualified for Qatar 2022.
Group D has the hosts, as well as the Swiss, Danish, and Nor. Irish. Italy will want to put on a good performance and put their 2022 qualification shame behind them (First winners ever to not qualify) here at home, but the pressure may be too much, especially in a very tricky group where any of the 4 could top it.
Group E holds Germany, dispatched by the USA in 2022, and Russia, who were unlucky to fall to the English in penalties. These two will scrap for 1st in the group, but Scotland and Bulgaria are not exactly slacks themselves.
Group F includes Ukraine, always polarizing but grabbed 28 of 30 points in qualifying, a rejuvenated Portuguese side after 2022 embarassment, featuring a young core, Romania, 2020's surprise runner ups with a lot of great talent, and Georgia, who came in 2nd in their qualifying group behind Germany. As with group D, any team can top this group.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
[BCOLOR=#ff0000]Day 1[/BCOLOR]

The tournament kicked off in Rome at 19:45, where France took on Serbia in Group B action. Montreal Impact right winger (And Canadian dual citizen) Jeremy Chevalier bagged a goal and an assist, though Serbia had the chance to go up early after Real Salt Lake winger Zoran Kalajdzic missed an open net. France won, 2-1.

In Group E play, Russia and Bulgaria played in Venice in a boring, 0-0 draw. Russia will need to do better with Germany in their group, while Bulgaria can be proud of their win.

Tomorrow:
Slovakia vs. Belgium
Italy vs. Swizterland (Watched)
Nor. Ireland vs. Denmark
Scotland vs. Germany

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 2

Slovakia 1-3 Belgium

Slovakia got off to a blistering start, with 24 year old Hannover forward Peter Matjan scoring in the 23rd, and the Slovakian defense held up well until 70 minutes in. Lukaku equlaized in the 70th, and despite Trabzonspor RB Loic Charlier getting sent off in the 72nd, Belgium scored twice more, with Man U forward Mompo Koro and Eden Hazard, to seal the victory. Serbian fans must be worried about this result, in truth.

Italy 2-0 Switzerland

The hosts were welcomed warmly in Bari, and bgun well after Swiss LB Yuri Ribeiro scored on his own goal following a corner in the 3rd minute. Italy dominated the game from here, and Seattle Sounder LB Antonio de Angelis scored again in the 56th to give the hosts a comfortable win.

Nor. Ireland 1-3 Denmark

Denmark looked very strong, with Philadelphia winger Viktor Fischer putting the Danish ahead in the 26th, while former Sion man and current Juventus star (or as I like to call him, the anti-Bendtner) Glenn Meyer scored twice, in the 63rd and 91st, to finish the victory off. His Juve teammate, Ross McKinstry, scored for Northern Ireland in consolation.

Scotland 0-3 Germany

An abosolute slaughter down in Palermo by the Germans. The first half looked a one-sided contest, though Scotland managed to hold them out. It wasn't for long, as 60M Euro man Felix Hartmann from Montreal scored in the 47th, while Thomas Muller and Julian Draxler added goals of their own.

Tomorrow:
Austria-Croatia
England-Bosnia
Romania-Georgia(Watched, because I gotta scout)

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Why are all these players playing in MLS?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Why are all these players playing in MLS?

I am using this mod: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=8550 which is similar to Milo's (though not nearly as indepth) which turns the US system into a 4-tier system with the top tier similar to the Barclay's PL and all the players generated on the talent level of Brazil rather than what it is originally set at. That + the new continental club cup that combines North and South America gives out similar money to the UCL. So all the clubs are a lot better.

Just in the Top 10 clubs by reputation in the world, you have LA Galaxy, Montreal, Santos, and NY Cosmos. Similar with the Top 25 richest club, a lot of them are American or Canadian, so they are pumping up talent like nobody's business.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Following. This is awesome, as a newbie to soccer, international competitions (world cup) is obviously what got me interested and what I enjoy the most.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 3

Austria 1-2 Croatia

The World Champions got off to a good start in Genoa, with City striker Petar Ciglar scoring in the 41st, while Barcelona winger Vladimir Duspara doubled the lead in the 71st. Both were key parts of that 2022 run. Austria grabbed one back with Inter Milan (current Aston Villa) forward Andreas Weimann's goal in the 75th, but the Croatians had too much quality and defended well to finish it out.

England 1-0 Bosnia

The English brought another big name roster to this tournament, though these days it's an unusual complaint: Too much talent abroad. Just 9 players from England on this team, with the rest in the United States or Brazil. It worked for hte moment, as Left back Dexter Allen from Seattle, a 40m Euro buy from Chelsea, put the English ahead in the 7th, and they never looked back. They'll need more firepower, however, against Croatia.

Romania 4-2 Georgia

A thrilling game in Udine, Romania looked hungry to repeat their 2nd placed finish (Romania always ends up really good, no idea why) from 2020. Nantes' Alexandru Maxim scored with 5 minutes in, while West Brom's George Tucudean scored his first of two in the 14th. Georgia won and converted a penalty in the 21st by Viktor Tsetsvadze, but 28yo Liverpool winger Dorin Rotariu grabbed one back in the 28th, and Georgia could never recover. This result will loom ominously in the minds of Portugal and Ukraine.

Tomorrow:
Holland-Spain
Turkey-Norway
Portugal-Ukraine

What a day, 1 vs. 13, Turkey and Norway who are both Top 30, and 8 vs. 9. Wish I could watch them all.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Following. This is awesome, as a newbie to soccer, international competitions (world cup) is obviously what got me interested and what I enjoy the most.

Yeah, me too. I'm going to do another save eventually and probably add even more competitions (Like a every 4 years North vs. South America one and some regional European tournaments on off years) and start it back from 2014, Most of these guys are regens, which is fun for me because I get to learn the stars of the game (And I recommend that people do this once your games go 10 years in) but maybe not as obvious for viewers.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 4, now with more Liveblog

My game against Ukraine is the nightcap, so we got the new from San Siro Milan, at least, earlier in the day. It was a 2-1 smash and grab for Holland, who went up two within 21 minutes and only allowed an own goal against the Spaniards. While the Top 3 generally qualify from their group, Spain are in a sticky situation with Turkey and Norway to play next.

Ukraine coming out in a 4-4-2, I'm countering with the same system I use for both Benfica and Portugal, a 2-3-2-1-2 system (that is more of a 4-1-2-3-0 in defense) that focuses on high pressing and usually ends up creating a diamond around the field. With Ukraine fielding two guys down the wing, we'll be out numbered, but I love having 2 strikers going up against two center backs, especially because with David Soares and Edgar Correia, my two Benfica youth products, are perfect together in a Target Man-Center Forward combo. I have wingers like Ronaldo, Bruma, and Everton regen Fernando Viana to switch up to one of my backup formations to stretch the field more.

Ukraine have a star-studded lineup, with Stuttgart (who are oil rich) 25yo midfielder Vlaidslav Alexandrov the key cog and Chelsea's Ivan Ushakov to his right. the danger will come from this area, so My CDM and LWB Sandro Dias and Antonio Gumiel will have to watch the area a bit more than usual.

1' Portugal start off, Sandro Dias plays it towards Soares who can't catch up. Hot out of the gate is a good sign, though.
4' Dortmund's 10m Left winger Ivan Volkov plays in a very high lobbed cross but it's caught well by Keeper Cyril Bernard. On the ensuing play, Volkov is found while running in behind by the captain, City man Denys Garmash, who plays him in past Ie and Janco, and Volkov slots it behind Bernard. GOAL Ukraine 1-0
5' Benfica start quick, with RWB Jose Pedro bombing down the line quick, and playing a ball in to David Soares, who shoots straight into the defender's legs, out for a corner.
7' Maxym Koval makes a dumb error on a goal kick, giving it straight to Soares, who just whiffs from 30 yards away instead of dribbling to get closer. Thinking about subbing him.
9' A quick Ukrainian counter is stuffed out by Jose Pedro, who plays it forward to AMC Filipe Vargas, who runs half the field to find LWB Antonio Gumiel coming in, though his shot is just over the bar.
17' Antonio Gumiel has acres of space on the wing, and plays a light ball on the ground to find CM Paulo Borges in the box. His shot goes near post and goes IN! Past Koval! GOAL Portugal 1-1 News from the other game being played simultaneously shows Turkey up 1 after the 14th minute.
21' Edgar Correia receives the ball from Deep from Sandro Dias, and tries to play Soares in, but the speedy forward is pushed off the ball by Ukraine CB Doroshenko.
31' Excellent defensive save after a lapse in judgement from Ukraine. Correia was played in by Paulo Borges who is having a monster game getting forward from CM, but Koval pops it up high in the air for CB Daudov to clear it with a header off the line!
41' Jose Pedro bombs down the line again, and the ball is poorly cleared by Krystov, who clears it back out to Jose Pedro who now finds David Soares without a marker, and it's an easy finish for a GOAL PORTUGAL 2-1
42' Ukraine look unprepared to deal with 3 forwards rushing at their 2 CBs, Soares again finds space behind, though this time the shot goes over.
45' Another one just before the break! Borges finds Correia with the Hockey assist from deep, and Correia plays a beautiful one-two with the number 10, Vargas, as Ukraine try to triple-man mark Vargas and end up leaving a weird 4 on 3 for Portugal. Correia's finish is cool as you like. Goal PORTUGAL 3-1. Enes Unal scored the 2nd for Turkey and they are up 2-0 at half as well.
HALFTIME

68' After a while passing it around outside the box, Antonio Gumiel finds a shot that goes straight to Koval. Elsehwere, Unal has scored against for Turkey, who lead 3-0.
Three subs for Portugal, Ronaldo on for Soares, Benfica's Carlos Abreu and Marcelinho on for Hector Espinoza (CM) and Sandro Dias respectively.
72' Borges again finds Gumiel wide, and Gumiel in turn finds Correia, though the header is on the wrong side of the bar.
74' RONALDOOOOO RWB Jose Pedro receives the 1-2 from CR7, and skips past the Ukrainian LB to find CR7 all alone in the box for a simple tap in for the 39 year old. GOAL PORTUGAL 4-1
91' FINAL! Portugal, more like Benfica plus Ronaldo, defeat the Ukrainians 4-1 in their opening match after beautiful combination play from the Forward trio, the wing backs, and deep balls from Paulo Borges. Ukraine will feel disappointed after starting so quickly. Turkey also win 4-0 over Norway, with Adnan Januzaj(who choose Turkey in this timeline) providing the finisher in a big warning to Spain.

A wonderful day for soccer, as Holland upsets Spain 2-1, while Portugal fought back to demolish Ukraine 4-1, and Turkey beat Norway 4-0, with 2 goals and 2 assists from Enes Unal, the 27yo Atletico man who had a 9.6 match rating. With one round of every group complete teams now know where they stand and what they have to do to advance.

Tomorrow:
Belgium vs. France(Watched)
Germany vs. Bulgaria
Russia vs. Scotland

Russia will need to grab points against Scotland while Germany look to secure the group with a win tomorrow. Belgium vs. France is one of the most anticipated group fixtures of the tournament and surely won't dissapoint.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
2qnworr.png

There's that 3rd goal. This pretty much sums up my system, those two guys (Gumiel and Pedro) on the wings are my wing backs, but they are so far forward in attack. It's high risk, high reward, but my CDM usually pulls back into a back 3 anyways like Barca did a couple years back. (He isn't in this picture but he is still the furthest guy back). I love that they are so fluid now, those 1-2s are deadly when there's no spare man for the opposition.

Also, CR7's goal in this game made him Portugal's all time leading scorer, which is awesome considering he retired after the 2014 WC and just came back when I took charge. Also the oldest ever scorer in the Euros at 39 and 134 days.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Tables after 1st Round:

A
Croatia 1-0-0 +1 3
England 1-0-0 +1 3
Austria 0-0-1 -1 0
Bosnia 0-0-1 -1 0

B
Belgium 1-0-0 +2 3
France 1-0-0 +1 3
Serbia 0-0-1 -1 0
Slovakia 0-0-1 -2 0

C
Turkey 1-0-0 +4 3
Holland 1-0-0 +1 3
Spain 0-0-1 -1 0
Norway 0-0-1 -4 0

D
Denmark 1-0-0 +2 3
Italy 1-0-0 +2 3
Switzerland 0-0-1 -2 3
Nor. Ireland 0-0-1 -2 3

E
Germany 1-0-0 +3 3
Russia 0-1-0 0 1
Bulgaria 0-1-0 0 1
Scotland 0-0-1 0

F
Portugal 1-0-0 +3 3
Romania 1-0-0 +2 3
Georgia 0-0-1 -2 0
Ukraine 0-0-1 -3 0

Now for Day 5

Belgium 0-3 France

In the Olimpico in Rome, these two giants faced off to control Group B. Stuttgart LW Anouar Bah opened the scoring after grabbing the rebound from a corner he crossed in and powering it past Courtois in a brilliant individual effort. Chevalier found Sion Forward Blaquier on a cross in the 30th to put France up 2. Montreal's Chevalier grabbed another goal for himself in this tournament in the 42nd to go up 3 in the 42nd. France secured the win, as Belgium lacked attacking bite. Jeremy Chevalier has been a revelation this tournament for France, and he could very well carry them to a title.

Germany 2-2 Bulgaria

Germany were unable to continue their good form from their game with Scotland, despite Max Martin of Man U and Thomas Muller scoring each before the 18th. Hristo Pavlov grabbed himself a brace for Bulgaria before the break, and neither team could score after half time.

Russia 3-0 Scotland

Russia grabbed a vital win ahead of their finale vs. Germany. Former Benfica man Maxim Klimov scored early in the 2nd, while Oleg Minko and Konstantin Proshin of Real Madrid and PR Islanders also grabbed goals. They will hope to draw against Germany to secure 2nd in the group, but the worst they can finish now is 3rd. Scotland meanwhile, will need to beat Bulgaria to have a shot of advancing.

Tomorrow and the following day:
Slovakia vs. Serbia
Italy vs. Denmark
Switzerland vs. Nor. Ireland
Georgia vs. Portugal (not live blogged)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 6 & 7

Serbia 1-1 Slovakia

The lone game on Matchday 6, played in Pisa. Serbia scored early on a goal from Reading's Goran Radunovic, but Viktoria Plzen's Milan Lalkovic answered in the 32nd, and the rest of the game finished tied in spite of a Novak red card for Slovakia in the 81st.

Portugal 6-1 Georgia

Running the same 2-3-2-1-2. Georgia runs a 4-3-2-1 Christmas Tree but it's real narrow. They have no DM so I will look to exploit the wings and the area in front of their defense. Correia and Soares will occupy their CBs, while Gumiel and Pedro will be far up due to no wingers to worry about. We could be outnumbered in deep positions but I'm not too worried about it. Marcelinho in for Borges, Lopes in for Vargas and Bayern's Joao Guia in for Inzaghi Ie in stamina rotations. We are at Bari for this game.

In the 5th, a Kenia clearance goes horribly wrong as David Soares sprints behind to catch up to it, and slots it past the keeper to go up 1-0. In the 9th, Paderborn midfielder Jano slots one in from a freekick as his shot easily goes over Portugal's two-man wall. Soares continues to get in behind but Georgia's keeper, Koln's Nasiopalous, has been immense in goal today with 6 saves just by the 40th minute. Soares scores in the 41st, but Georgia are quick to run to the assitant to call for Offsides, but it's a no go. 2-1 Portugal. Correia found Soares on a long ball coutner play, but Nasiopaulos stops him yet again. CB Iovaldo Janco scores on the following corner, which was Portugal's 10th for the game.

Edgar Correia and Marcelinho are subbed off at half for Ronaldo and SKC's Mutaro Andem, as both picked up slight knocks. Gumiel finds Soares running in behind, and it's a 4th goal as it bounces off the keeper and in. That is the hat trick for the Benfica starlet. Georgia cannot handle Benfica's width and Gumiel and Pedro are essentially offensive wingers at this point. Marcos Lopes finds Antonio Gumiel with a through pass and he easily puts it past the keeper. Nasiopaulous put in a good effort but has been broken down this half. Everton's Fernando Viana will get his first cap under Arda Trogran(me) as he is being subbed on for Jose Pedro in the RWB role, but as we see here he'll be up top anyhow. Lopes puts in a corner and Sandro Dias picks up the mess to score. 6-1 for Portugal.

An astonishing win for Portugal. No one thought they were this good, plain and simple. A hat trick for Soares and an assist hat trick for Atletico's Marcos Lopes tells the story. Georgia could not deal with their width. 19 shots on target compared to 1 for Georgia is a microcosm of the game itself.

Denmark 1-3 Italy

Atletico's Gugielmelo Giordano was key for Italy securing passage to the next round, as he hit a brace. Former Sion man Glenn Meyer grabbed another goal to push his tally to 3 on the tournament, but it wasn't enough as the hosts came out victorious in Milan. Italy held 61% percent.

Switzerland 3-1 Nor. Ireland

Sion's Noah Hercod grabbed a hat trick, and an Own Goal from Burki was the only attacking chance Nor. Ireland managed. Switzerland's performance was impressive and sets up an enticing match up in the 3rd match round to decide who will grab 2nd in this group. Nor. Ireland, with a -4 GD, are virtually eliminated at this point.

Tomorrow:
Bosnia vs. Austria
Croatia vs. England
Ukraine vs. Romania

The loser of Bosnia vs. Austria could be eliminated and would certainly be put in the danger zone, while the winner of Croatia-England could go top the group. Ukraine need a win to bounce back in Group F, while Romania's last chance at a point could come in this game as Portugal look up to the task.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 8

Croatia 0-3 England

The World Champions against the English. The English get off to a wonderful start as Liverpool Striker (and Sturridge clone) Dan Jeffrey is played in by Ward-Prowse and runs behind the defense to score. It seems exploitation of high lines has been a theme this tournament. Reading CB Matt Partidge scores off a corner, played in by Jeffrey, to go up 2-0 in the 44th. Nightmare so far for the Champs here in Turin. Ward-Prowse finds Will Hughes in the box in the 77th to put England up 3-0. Croatia's GK cleared away W-P's initial set piece but couldn't catch it and Hughes cleaned it up easily. City striker Petar Ciglar had a chance late but Jack Butland was there to save easily. England closed it out, and sent out a warning notice to the World Champions.

Bosnia 0-2 Austria

Panathinaikos striker Deni Alar grabbed himself a brace at 34 years old, and Bosnia had no shot in this game. Bosnia will need a win against rivals Croatia to salvage a chance at advancing, while Austria will want to grab points to be one of the 4 3rd place teams in the next round.

Ukraine 0-2 Romania

Another goal fest for Liverpools' Rotariu and WBA's Tucudean as Romania shock the 8th ranked team in the world. With 6 points (As Portugal), they have advanced for the next round, and Ukraine will need a win (a draw will surely knock them out) to simply advance in 3rd place out of group F. Ukraine are simply being outclassed this tournament, which is shocking given their quality.

Tomorrow:
Spain vs. Turkey(Watched)
Norway vs. Holland

Group C play heats up as Spain must play the team that beat Norway 4-0 in a match that could see them sent home, while Norway will look to gather their pride as Holland could secure qualification to the next round.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 9

Spain 3-0 Turkey

Spain start off quick as Gio Simeone (yes Diego's son) cleans up the mess of Turkey's GK Dereliogu in the box to put Spain up 1. Iker Munian hit the bar in the 20th but the danger was cleared. 24 year old winger Sergio from NYCFC puts Spain up 2 in the 46th after a slick pass from 25yo Daniel of Bayern. Spain's two youngest players on the roster. Turkish LB Erdi Ferat is whistled for a penalty, and Gio Simeone converts from the spot, though it was a controversial call. The whistles blows with Spain at 61% possesion and Turkey looking like a team that just got beat 4-0, not the other way around. Sergio and Gio were the stars today for Spain, though their safety is not guaranteed.

Norway 1-2 Holland

Holland grabs their 6th point of the groups with a late winner. Norway took the lead in the 32nd with a strike from Hull's Thomas Brustad, but Holland won a PK with Adam Maher in the 45th and then left it late for Barcelona's Gianni Mukendi. Holland advance on points, while Norway need a win over Spain just to be in consideration.

Tomorrow:
France-Slovakia
Belgium-Serbia
Scotland-Bulgaria
Germany-Russia(watching)

France have advanced but Belgium and Serbia will fight for 3rd. Bulgaria could advance in 2nd or 3rd with a win over Scotland. A German or Russian loss could see them fall to 3rd if Bulgaria wins.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Well it doesn't always work. I got smashed 5-1 by the USA and lost 0-1 to Belgium in pre-tournament friendlies. My system is basically Bielsa's Chile (because obviously that's the system I'd try to copy), one of my wing backs is a converted winger while the other is a natural wing back. It originaly started as a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond but I love me some attacking wing backs and so I just had my anchor drop into the back line when needed. 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 give me a good amount of trouble.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 10

Russia 0-0 Germany Bulgaria 2-0 Scotland

Both games running simultaneously. Russia naming an unchanged lineup with their wide diamond, while Germany is coming out in a 4-4-2. Pavlov scores in the 18th for Bulgaria, which puts all 3 teams tied at 5 points and will see all 3 advance with Germany winning GD. In the 36th, former Benfica man Maxim Klimov rings one off the post. In the 39th Real Madrid's Oleg Minko is found by Kokorin and gets it back to him on a 1-2, but Kokorin shoots straight into a defender's legs. Bulgaria's Ganev scores in the 38th, for Bulgaria's second. Right now it's Germany-Bulgaria-Russia based on GD.
Germany-Russia tied at the break. Klimov is found at the top of the box all alone in the 53rd, but ter-Stegen makes an excellent save to keep it scoreless. A Minko cross in the 74th is just tipped over by Ter Stegen, and the ensuing corner is cleared. Dzagoev skies one over in the 76th. Guney Aydemir had a chance in the 78th from a corner go over. In the 85th a Draxler free kick hit the wall, but an ensuing cross nearly went in on accident. The game ends uneventfully, and it'd be a stretch to call this 0-0 draw thriling. Barring something bizarre, all three of Germany, Bulgaria, and Russia, will advance.

France 1-0 Slovakia Serbia 0-3 Belgium

Montreal's Jeremy Chevalier was at it again today for France, as he netted one home to secure all 9 points possible for France over Slovakia. Elsewhere, Chelsea's Tamer Demircan grabbed 2 for the Belgians and Lukaku added on himself, to give Belgium the 6 points and secure their passage to the next round. Serbia and Slovakia, with just 1 point each, will almost certainly be eliminated from this Euro.

Tomorrow:
Austria-England
Croatia-Bosnia

Portugal-Romania
Ukraine-Georgia

Austria would like a draw to advance comfortably, while Bosnia need a win and some help to even scratch third place. England are guaranteed a space in at worst 3rd based on the results of other groups.

Portugal and Romania are on 6 points each, so the winner here (or a draw for Portugal) will see them take the group. Ukraine and Georgia, meanwhile, both need a win to avoid elimination despite finishing 3rd.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Well it doesn't always work. I got smashed 5-1 by the USA and lost 0-1 to Belgium in pre-tournament friendlies. My system is basically Bielsa's Chile (because obviously that's the system I'd try to copy), one of my wing backs is a converted winger while the other is a natural wing back. It originaly started as a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond but I love me some attacking wing backs and so I just had my anchor drop into the back line when needed. 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 give me a good amount of trouble.

Are you playing some Medel-sized munchkin at CB?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I've got Joao Guia from Bayern who is 6'1 with 15 jumping, Nuno Tomas from Betis who is 5'11 7/8 with 7 jumping, Vitor Berenguer from Benfica who is 6'0 with 14 jumping, and then I've got the Gineau-Bissau grown Iovaldo Janco and Inzaghi Ie who are each like 6'4 with 15+ jumping. My anchor, Sandro Dias (Who drops in to become the Medel), is 5'10 with 7 jumping, though. All my twinks are in attack. My two wing backs are like 5'4 and 5'8 respectively.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 11

Portugal 1-1 Romania Ukraine 5-0 Georgia Austria 1-0 England Bosnia 0-1 Croatia

All 4 games played simultaneously, oddly. Portugal is naming a rotation lineup, with PAOK striker Areias in for Soares, SKC's Mutaro Andem and Benfica's Paulo Borges in the midfield, while Benfica's Carlos Abreu plays Anchor and Ie and Guia are in the back line. Nuno Tomas and Everton's Viana are in for Gumiel and Pedro, who are rested this game. A risky strategy, no doubt for stamina porpoises. Romania is at full strength with Rotariu, Tucudean, and Maxim looming ominously, while captain Vlad Chiriches remains in defense.
In the 3rd, a Tucudean shot was just parried wide by Vito Alfonso, the young Benfica keeper who came along for the ride and got the start today. A Mutaro Andem shot went nowhere in the 17th. Ukraine's Shulyak scored in the 16th to put them up one in the other game. In the 19th, Tucudean finds the always dangerous Rotariu in oceans of space, and he easily chips over the inexperienced keeper. 1-0 Romania. Shulyak grabbed his brace for Ukraine in the 21st, putting them up 2 on Georgia. The two Group A games remain scoreless. In the 25th of the Bosnia-Croatia game, World Cup hero Domegag Tomecak was sent off, while Petar Ciglar scored in the 28th to put Croatia up 1 for the time being. Portugal continues to push up against Romania but cannot get anything going. In the 37th, Correia finds Areias after a Romanian defensive error, but Areias can only find the keeper's gloves. In the 42nd, a beautiful combination play started by Tomas, finds Andem, then Correia, then Areias, and finally Marcos Lopes, who curves around the keeper to level it up.

In the 55th, Shulyak grabs his hat trick for Ukraine, practically securing their 3 points but not necessarily their advancement. He grabs a 4th in the 57th, making it the best performance of the tournament so far. In the 65th, three Portugese subs come on, Ronaldo, Soares, and Gumiel for Correia, Areias, and Tomas. A Ronaldo shot was saved well and eventually ruled offsides in the 69th. He skies another one a minute later. Portugal have been caught off 8 times so far by this well organized Romanian defense. In the 73rd, Tucudean was unlucky not to score as he wimpily hit a header straight towards Afonso. In the 77th, a CR7 freekick just goes over the bar. A similar situation occurs in the 79th for Romania, as Vaduz mifdiler Vasile Lupu hits a FK perfectly to the top corner, only to be denied by Afonso. A Fernando Viana run ends terribly as the Everton winger skies it. Soares found Marcos Lopes in and the ball hits the back of the net, but it's ruled off. Sead Koalsnic gets sent off in the Croatia-Bosnia game in the 83rd, leveled it to 10 on 10, while NE Revolution forward Matthias Berger scores one on England to put Austria up 1-0 (And tie the group three ways on 6 points) A Darin Rotariu counter is finally cut out by Inzaghi Ie. Yatsenko scores Ukraine's 5th against Georgia in the 87th. The final whistle rings in the San Filippo, and a much deserved draw for both sides.

So in Group F, Portugal grabs 1st thanks to a better GD/More goals scored, while Romania takes 2nd. Ukraine are in 3rd, and while a 5 goal show certainly helps their case (props to 22yo Schalke forward Yuriy Shulyak), it may not be enough as they have just 3 points to show for their efforts. They require a big loss from the Swiss, Danish, Turkish, or Spanish (Depending on who grabs 3rd in those groups) to advance. Slovakia, 3rd in Group B, are eliminated.

In Group A, Austria's surprising win isn't enough to knock the English out of 1st, but it does grant Austria 2nd, and an easier second round draw. Croatia will advance with 6 points in 3rd, but will face a tough challenge in the next round [Note, the system is so convoluted for 24 teams that I basically have no idea who will draw whom, these Euros are going to be a mess]

Tomorrow:
Spain vs. Norway
Holland vs. Turkey

Italy vs. Nor. Ireland
Swiss vs. Denmark

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 12

Spain 4-0 Norway Netherlands 0-3 Turkey

Spanish and Turkish delight today, as Spain completed a drubbing of Norway, who finish the tournament with 0 points and a -9 GD, while Turkey bounce back from their 3-0 loss to dish one out of their own, banishing Netherlands to 3rd in the group (Where they will still advance) Spain got to a big start early, with Gio winning and converting his 2nd penalty of the tournament, while Gerard Deulofeu, now at Udinese, bagged one in the 7th, and Gio grabbed another in the 10th. It was an onslaught from the beginning, though the last goal, by NYCFC's Sergio, didn't come until the 85th. The consolation for Norway is their very young team, and a navigatable WC Quals group with Ukraine and Denmark. Turkey, meanwhile, surprised the Dutch, as Januzaj scored in the 11th and Enes Unal grabbed another brace to bring his tally to 4 (Tied with Soares, Gio, and Shulyak for lead). All 3 teams advance, of course, and quite frankly all 3 could very well make it to quarterfinals.

Italy 6-1 Nor Ireland Denmark 0-2 Switzerland

Denmark and Switzerland will fight for 2nd, and possibly their survival if either drops below 0 GD (which would let Ukraine slip through. Former Sion teammates (I coached both) Bruno Andre and Glenn Meyer lead the lines for their respective teams, though Meyer has the upper hand with 3 goals scored this tournament. It's a flat 4-5-1 vs a 4-3-3 here in Milan. Italy take on Nor Ireland but should like their chances for 9 points in total. The Danish game has been quiet, though the Italian game has seen 3 goals, one for Cerutti, Giordano, and O'Hara to keep it at 2-1. If the Danish and Swiss draw, both will advance and knock out Ukraine. In the 36th Glenn Meyer's back heel shot was saved well by Yan Sommer. Pia scored Italy's 3rd in the 37th. In the 40th, a swift counter attack from Xhaka and Kasami finds Bruno Andre on a 45 yard L1+Triangle pass, and Andre touches past the keeper and has an easy tap in. Goal Switzerland.
By the 57th, Italy have scored twice more, with Romani and a PK from Giordano. Meyer's shot saved against by Sommer in the 63rd. 89th minute, Swiss still up and Denmark would go home here with a loss. Andre is found by Zuffi, and he grabs his second of the game! Heartbreak for the Danes. Giordano grabs his hat trick for Italy and missed a second penalty. Shaqiri nearly scored on a free kick. Denmark out of time here and will be going home behind Ukraine. Perhaps they'll get revenge in World Cup Qualifying. And that will end it.

Italy and Switzerland advance with 9 and 6 points, while Denmark only manage 3 and lose out to Ukraine on GD for the 4th and final 3rd place spot. Bruno Andre and Glenn Meyer seen after the game embracing, and former coach Arda Trogran meets them both on the field to catch up on their past exploits at Sion.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Group Stage Recap and Second Round Draw:

Final Tables:
Group A:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]England 2-0-1 +3 6[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Austria 2-0-1 +2 6[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Croatia 2-0-1 -1 6[/BCOLOR]
Bosnia 0-0-3 -4 0

Group B:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]France 3-0-0 +5 9[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Belgium 2-0-1 +2 6[/BCOLOR]
Slovakia 0-1-2 -3 1
Serbia 0-1-2 -4 1

Group C:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Spain 2-0-1 +6 6[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Turkey 2-0-1 +4 6[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Holland 2-0-1 -1 6[/BCOLOR]
Norway 0-0-3 -9 0

Group D:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Italy 3-0-0 +9 9[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Swiss 2-0-1 +2 6[/BCOLOR]
Denmark 1-0-2 -2 3
NorIrlnd 0-0-3 -9 0

Group E:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Germany 1-2-0 +3 5[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Bulgaria 1-2-0 +2 5[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Russia 1-2-0 +3 5[/BCOLOR]
Scotland 0-0-3 -8 0
(No idea why Bulgaria is ranked ahead of Russia consider H2H is even and Russia has better GD)

Group F:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Portugal 2-1-0 +8 7[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Romania 2-1-0 +4 7[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Ukraine 1-0-2 0 3[/BCOLOR]
Georgia 0-0-3 -12 0

Player Stats:

Average Rating:
Guglielmo Giordano, Atletico/Italy 8.50
Adnan Januzaj, NYCFC/Turkey 8.40
Dorin Rotariu, Liverpool/Romania 8.37
Iovaldo Janco, Benfica/Portugal 8.35
Sergio, NYCFC/Spain 8.20

Goals:
Guglielmo Giordano, Atletico/Italy 5
Yuri Shulyak, Schalke/Ukraine, David Soares, Benfica/Portugal, Enes Unal, Atletico/Turkey, and Gio Simeone, Sao Paulo/Spain, 4 each

Assists:
Jose Pedro, Benfica/Portugal, Marcos Lopes, Atletico/Portugal, Stephane Durand, Nancy/France, Adnan Januzaj, NYCFC/Turkey, and Guglielmo Giordano, Atletic/Italy, 3 each

MOTM:
Dorin Rotariu, 3

Key Passes:
Adnan Januzaj, NYCFC/Turkey 12
Marcos Lopes, Atletico/Portugal 6
3 others, 5

2nd Round Draw:

The gimme games are over from here on out. Here is the tournament tree:

England-Belgium
Germany-Romania
Switzerland-Turkey
Ukraine-Italy
----
France-Holland
Croatia-Portugal
Spain-Russia
Bulgaria-Austria

Other than the outlier game of Bulgaria-Austria, the remaning 7 games features teams who all realistically have a shot at winning the title. England and Belgium square off in a scintillating tie, Germany, who struggled, play Romania, who have overacheived, Switzerland barely qualified while Turkey have been hot and cold, Ukraine just smashed Georgia 5-0 but play the hosts who did a 6-1 smashing themselves. In the other half, France and Holland play what could've been a semifinal match, the world champion Croatians play a dangerous Portuguese team, without their magic man Domagoj Tomecak, The world #1 and defending champs Spain take on a Russian team that has not allowed a goal yet, and two surprise contenders, Bulgaria and Austria, face off to see who truly has what it takes.

(I hate this draw)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
So based on Croatia's scouting report most of their goals come from their left or from their forward. That means Ciglar, and maybe someone else (unless they opt to leave him alone up top with Tomecak out), plus Duspara on the left. Probably their two most dangerous players, so that makes sense. They are most vulnerable to goals down their right, so my left. So I am considering dropping Pedro back (Even though he's 5'4 and can't block crosses) and sending Gumiel further forward to link with Correia and Vargas down the left. Most of Croatia's goals are from Finesse shots, which means I can't let Duspara cut in. If they are running their usual 4-4-2, that means either pushing him back with Pedro, having Pedro man-mark him, or doing something stupid and switch to a normal 4-3-3 to have Viana or Ronaldo press Duspara back.

The good news is that Radosevic is also out, and Croatia lack a normal holding midfielder, so the attacking triangle can do a lot of damage against their 2 CBs. With Gumiel forward, they'll create 4v4s at the back and prevent Croatia's LB from overloading in forward position as he'll need to stay back to cover. My midfield diamond should be able to win possession against a flat 4-4-2, so it's just a matter of watching for Ciglar/another forward on the counters if Pedro can do his jerb and stop Duspara. If he can't, then the Barcelona winger will almost surely add to his total of 2 goals/3 assists so far this tournament.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 13- Round of 16

England 2-1 Belgium

We're here in Turin. England naming an unchanged lineup from their past two games. Belgium giving captain Lukaku, Hazard, and de Bruyne the three places in the attack ahead of Mompo Koro. Belgium gets off to a flying start as Hazard finds Lukaku in behind, and his cross is fumbled by de Bruyne, but Butland looked rooted to the spot. England passing it around well in front of Belgium. Ward Prwose plays a beautiful 1-2 with Ross Barkley, and then the English playmaker skips past a Belgian defender, and the shot goes off Courtois and in. How will Belgium respond? They've looked vulnerable after conceding. In the 17th, Ward-Prowse hits a cracker of a free kick, Courtois stood no chance. The loyal Southhampton legend has England up two in just 17 minutes of play. Lukaku heads into the side netting in the 20th. Dan Jeffrey of Seattle nearly scored on a volley from his club teammate Ross Barkley. In the 36th, W-P gives Jeffrey the ball from the spot, and he nearly scores before a great Courtoius save. Belgium counters in the 39th, and De Bruyne hits a beautifull volley while being marked in the box to make it 2-1 England. W-P misses a dfree kick badly in the 44th. 62% possesion for England at the half, they are playing Belgium off the park.
Phil Jones off with injury in the 48th in the first. Belgian CB Kalala made a last ditch tackle to prevent a Dan Jeffrey goal. Barkley skies a shot in the 47th. Dan Jeffrey had a goal ruled off in the 48th. Courtois sweeps a Ross Barkley pass to Jeffrey in the 57th. Ward Prowse finds Barkley but it's another ruled offsides, correctly, of course. A Hazard cross finds de Bruyne in the box but the volley is cleared confidently by Jack Butland in the 60th. Will Hughes is found in behind in the 67th but it's wide. England terrorizing Belgium in behind. Kalala finds de Bruyne on a switching ball, and de Bruyne nearly hits it in on an out swinging ball. Zakaria Bakkali is denied in the 83rd for Belgium. Belgium desperate and just crossing it in hoping to hit Mompo Koro or Lukaku. One last chance for Belgium here on a corner. Ball falls to DEMIRCAN AND SAVED BY JACK BUTLAND! ENGLAND WIN 2-1! 57% possesion and 2 goals from Ward-Prowse are enough to send the 2016 champs home and end the Belgian golden generation.

Germany 2-0 Romania

The 2020 runners up were outclassed by Germany, as Man U winger Mike Martin grabbed two for the Germans within the first 30 minutes. Rotariu and Tucudean were shut down by a stout German defense, and yet another England vs. Germany game is set to occur here in Italy in the Quarterfinals.

Tomorrow:
France vs. Holland
Portugal vs. Croatia

#12 vs. #13 and #9 vs. #7, in what should be two captivating matches. And of course, what a difficult pod to reach the semifinals out of, it is a shame that 3 of these teams will be eliminated before the Semis, as Seedorf's Holland, Montanier's France, Trogran's Portugal, and Mamic's world champion Croats have been playing great Soccer this tournament.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 14 part 1

France 1-0 Holland

France were on the brink of extra time when substitute 24yo winger and Afro Owner from PSG Paul Bassong hit a strike in the 90th minute to send them through. France were content to play on the counter all game, conceding possesion (44%). Star man Chevalier had a slight knock and was not risked, but should be back for the game against the Croatia-Portugal winner.

Portugal-Croatia preview:

Trogran is going with his usual Benfica/Portugal lineup, the diamon shape with the normal starting XI. Lopes, Marcelinho, Guia, among others to start in earlier games, are on the bench. Despite talk that Portugal would play a bit more conservative, Pedro looks set to maintain his usual duty and take the fight to Duspara. Croatia have 22yo Hrovoje Znaor Nancy forward paired up with Petar Ciglar, while Palic is in for Radosevic in a normal 4-4-2.

-------Bernard-------
-----Janco-Inzaghi---
Pedro---Dias---Gumiel
---Espinoza-Borges---
--------Vargas-------
----Soares-Correia--

vs.
------Ciglar-Znaor----
---------------------
Duspara-Kova-Pal-Halilo
---------------------
Ninic--Siklic-Zigante-Vrsaljko
---------Kalinic------------

Espinoza and Borges will be tasked with controlling the midfield, while Vargas will look to bomb forward and overload Croatia's defense. Correia needs to pin Vrsaljko back and combine with Gumiel to attack Croatia's right, while Duspara and Ciglar will look to combine as usual and grab some goals down the shaky Portuguese right.

LIVE BLOG COMING

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Let the game begin:

0' Croatia kick off. Duspare immediately runs past Pedro, but he blocks a cross with his body, somehow. Corner. Dias clears after a dangerous sequence.
3' Gumiel finds Espinoza in space, and he takes a shot that is saved easy by Kalinic.
4' Borges steals the ball from an on rushing Vrsalko, and Correia has acres of space to run into. He takes it nearly to the byline, but by then two defenders have caught up and he punts it into them for a corner. The ensuing kick is cleared easily.
5' Gumiel finds Correia again, and this time he heads it into the side netting. Soares finds Gumiel running in behind on another play, but Kalinic saves his tame shot easily.
10' A Gumiel cross is cleared by Siklic for a corner, and the ensuing Vargas cross his the bar.
11' A Kalinic error on the ensuing goal kick misses Siklic and falls onto the feet of Dias. He plays a ball to Vargas, who waits for Espinoza to stay onside. He does, and the ball is easily slipped past Kalinic. GOAL 1-0 Portugal
12' Petar Ciglar ruled offside, though he was in behind and had a chance.
14' Espinoza finds Vargas just behind the two strikers, and in a 3v2 situation with the center backs. The ball is played quickly to Soares, and then Correia, who runs in behind and bags another goal against Kalinic. GOAL 2-0 Portugal
15' Duspara breaks quickly, but the counter is broken.
16' Portugal break with numbers again, as Gumiel bombs down the left, and it's a 6 on 6 in the box. Correia's shot is parried well by Kalinic, but Espinoza is left unmarked and scores again. GOAL 3-0 Portugal
21' Duspara finds Halilovic wide, who finds Duspara again, but his shot is wide.
22' Pedro finds Soares from a Throw in, catching Croatia off guard. Correia gets into position and heads in from a foot away as Kalinic was rooted to the spot. Unbelievable.
GOAL 4-0 Portugal
30' Ciglar finds Znaor in the box, but his shot is parried by Bernard.
31' A Soares shot goes way wide.
32' Znaor is brought down by Inzaghi on a goal scoring opportunity, but no card given. He will be able to continue, though.
34' Ciglar finds Znaor in the box after a quick counter and a nice dribble past Iovaldo Janco. GOAL 4-1 Portugal
36' Espinoza nearly finds his hat trick from a corner, but it goes over the bar.
Half: 3 changes for Portugal, Viana for Pedro, Ronaldo for Soares, and Abreu for Correia. Switching to 1 up top to consolidate defensively.
52' Ciglar stops running after getting through on goal for some reason.
64' Znaor gets in behind and slots one past Bernard. GOAL 4-2 Portugal
66' Croatian Smash and GRAB! Znaor isolates Janco and slips one to Ciglar who puts is cleanly past Bernard. GOAL 4-3 Portugal
69' Gumiel bombs down the wings, past the defender, and slots one home to increase Portugal's lead, GOAL 5-3 Portugal
71' Ciglar caught out again, but just barely.
79' HAT TRICK FOR ZNAOR! Tomecak's replacement gets space in behind yet again, and chips one over Bernard who is left looking like a fool. GOAL 5-4 Portugal
88' A powerful shot from Ronaldo is just blocked by Kalinic. Croatia counter well on the ensuing play, but Kovacic is eventually dispossed by Inzaghi.
FINAL We have come to an end here in Bari in a thrilling affair which Portugal took control of early, but Croatia battled to storm back after 3 Portuguese substitutes left them out to dry. In the end, Portugal were able to pull off the victory, and will face France in the Quarterfinals.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
The Correia goal, now with more color. Exactly what I talk about when I want to overload their center backs. No defensive mids for their opposing team = Bad time for their defense. Pink is their back line, yellow their mids, green their forwards. Blue is my triangle, maroon my midfielders (including wing backs)

2ceq4b4.png

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 15

Yesterday's Portugal-Croatia game ties the 1960 France-Yugoslavia game for Highest scoring game at the Euros.

Bulgaria 2-0 Austria

The winner of this game plays the winner of Spain-Russia, and both teams were looking to keep up their good run. In the end, Bulgaria's crushing defense, combined with a quick attack, two goals in the first 10 minutes, one from Ipswich's Ganev and another from Nancy's Nedelev, were the difference makers in this game. A great performance from Bulgaria, who must be laughing at their #63 FIFA ranking at this point.

Spain 4-1 Russia

Both teams have a shot to win. Offense vs. Defense here. Russia threaten from a corner early but the danger is cleared. Daniel recovers the clearance, and nearly scores on Akinfeev, who clears out for a corner himself. On the ensuing corner, Angelinyo crosses in, and the ball eventually finds Munian from a Gio Simeone pass, and he slots it in easy. 1-0 Spain. Dzagoev finds Stoke man Maxim Klimov, but de Gea saves well. Sergio from NYCFC hits a blazer from 25' out in the 19th minute, and the ball hits off of Akinfeev's gloves and in. 2-0 Spain. Angelino of Real Betis steps up to take a free kick in the 34th, and the City product slots home a wonderfully struck freekick. 3-0 Spain. CB Isidiro Leon finds a ball from Thiago Alcantara in the box, and Akinfeev is helpless yet again. 4-0 Spain. Konstantin proshin combines well on the left, finding Smirnov who hits Klimov, and Klimov hits a well stuck ball into the left corner. 4-1 Spain. The game ends without much fanfare, as Spain demolish Russia at the Olimpico. 57% possseion for Spain. 31 fouls for Russia, and it was as ugly a game as you could imagine.

Tomorrow:
Ukraine vs. Italy
Switzerland vs. Turkey

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 16

Italy 1-0 Ukraine

The hosts packing a stud lineup as City and former Benfica RB Thomas Borgna has recovered from a knock and is back in the starting lineup. (I taught him how to attack the Bielsa way, so he knows his stuff). Ukraine return their 4-4-2 with 4-goal man Yuriy Shulyak leading the line and Ushakov coming down the right to support him.

First half has been pretty much every player on each team getting offsides called. 6 between the two teams. De Angelis found Romani in the box but the City striker's header just went off the bar, and Berardi couldn't get to the rebound in time. It's been stop-start, 15 fouls between the two, pretty even possesion. A slug fest here, essentially. Romani hit a chipped shot in the 60th that just went over the keeper as well as over the bar. Just 1 shot for Ukraine compared to Italy's 15. Giordando got in behind and just sent it over Koval yet again. Italy are either offsides or off target, while Ukraine cannot get the ball forward at all.

Extra time now. A very exciting play in the 96th as Keeper Mustacchi's clearance falls straight to Igor Yesaulenko, the 18 year old Donetsk Starlet, but his 1 on 1 with the keeper bounces off the post. Nearly there for Ukraine. Giordano finds Alessio Melle in behind but Koval does well to save for a corner. On the ensuing corner the deadlock is finally broken as 23yo Palermo star Alessio Melle heads in from a foot away! 1-0 Italy! Pia shoots at Koval who saves. Where was this excitement the first 105 minutes?

The final here in Verona is a 1-0 win for Italy, an ugly game and an uglier result with 28 shots to 1, but Italy are advancing to the next round and the hosts are happy to see it regardless.

Switzerland 1-0 Turkey

The Swiss and Turkey played another boring game, as it was a Cadakilja penalty conversion for Switzerland that broke the deadlock late. Turkey had a chance to get one back in the 87th after a Xhaka error, but couldn't complete the play. The Swiss and Italy will play each other for the 2nd time this tournament in the Quarter Finals.

3 days from now:
France vs. Portugal
England vs. Germany

4 days from now:
Spain vs. Bulgaria
Italy vs. Switzerland

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day Quarter Finals 1

Both Quarter Finals will be played simultaneously. Bizarrely, we play a day ahead of a potential Semis opponent (Spain-Bulgaria). We also play one game earlier than France did. I hate this Euro Scheduling.

Portugal name an unchanged lineup. France want Chevalier back, and looks to be ready. They run a 4-5-1/4-3-3, so their wingers (including Chevalier) will be right on top of my backs. Which is worrying. We still have a spare man in defense though, so I feel confident enough. PAOK forward Luis Areias was hurt in training, so I'm down to three forwards (Vargas can play up but it's risky, and Ronaldo is so damn old). Last time I switched to 1 striker Croatia scored 3 on me, so I'm worried.

Germany-England is the other game of course. Shame I can't watch both.

Live blog incoming
2' Inzaghi Ie's header off a corner just goes wide
4' Didier Vila does well to save Paulo Borges' shot following another corner.
7' Iovaldo Janco this time heads it wide off a corner.
8' Correia shoots at Vila, but he saves well. France defending well, Pogba at DM is shutting down Vargas well. 66% possession for Portugal is the tradeoff, of course.
14' Espinoza bizarrely shoots and it goes way way wide.
15' A corner for Portugal played in by Soares finds Inzaghi, who hits a volley into the far corner past Vila for a goal! GOAL PORTUGAL! 1-0
19' Gumiel's shot goes in but is ruled offsides correctly. Germany-England still scoreless.
27' Durand gets the ball in the Portuguese 18 but Jose Pedro recovers to clear it out.
30' Correia now has a goal ruled offsides correctly. Nearly on, however.
37' Porto's Steven Sabourin, who knows this Benfica/Portugal side very well, hits a wonderfully curled freekick in the top corner, and Bernard had no chance of stopping it. GOAL FRANCE! 1-1
HALF! A thrilling game as France are patient and taking their chances as they come. Portugal attacking quick, but too quick it seems as they've had two goals called off. Germany-England is still 0-0.

46' Portugal run 'The Play' from kick off, with Correia heading a ball towards Gumiel, who had split the defence beautifully. However, he keeps running so far that he takes a horrible angle and shoots, 1 on 1, into the side netting. FFFFFU.
47' Bassong nearly finds Sabourin, but it's cut out by Hector Espinoza. On the counter, Paulo Borges' shot is saved by Didier Vila. Enticing end-to-end action here.
48' Janco's header bounces off the bar and into Vila's arms. Nearly two for Portugal.
50' Soares sets up Correia beautifully in behind, but his shot is parried by Vila, and hits the POST and bounces away. Nearly there.
51' GOAL PORTUGAL 2-1! Janco plays a deep ball to the deep-lying Soares, and Hector Espinoza bombs forward in a 3 on 1 move (As the French CB has dragged up with Soares). He has an open shot on goal which goes in past Vila.
54' David Soares shoots and it goes way wide.
56' England's Will Hughes scores to put England up 1 against Germany.
61' Ben Aziza nearly scores but Bernard cooly saves with his foot.
66' Espinoza's pass goes over Bogounou's head and straight to Jose Pedro, who is saved well by Didier Vila.
72' Subs: Marcelinho for Dias, Lopes for Vargas, and Guia for Janco.
76' David Soares' shot clears over the bar.
Game has slowed down a bit. England only up 1 as well. Could come down to the end here.
92' Ben Aziza and Job combine well, but the ball is finally cut out by Gumiel. And that ends the game.
2-1 Portugal, 1-0 England final.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Quarterfinals Day 2

Accidentally didn't watch either game today.

Spain 2-0 Bulgaria

Guess who as Simeone not only scored another brace, but one of them was yet against a penalty kick. Spain booked their place against their neighbors Portugal with a simple 2-0 win against Bulgaria. The underdogs scrapped but Spain's quality shone through a bit too much for them to handle. Still, no one will forget their effort, and they are placed in a WC qualifying group with France and Portugal, where they would love to throw a wrench in the affair.

Italy 2-1 Switzerland

The game was tied 1-1 after 21, with Berardi and Rosa scoring each for their teams. However, Daniele Pia grabbed one in the 81st, and Burki was sent off in the 87th, sending the Swiss home.

Next Day:
England vs. Italy
Following Day:
Spain vs. Portugal

England, who have never won the Euros, against the hosts, Italy. England look a very strong side and could very well win the entire tournament, but Italy are playing with confidence and have just enough talent to come away with it as well. Spain are defending champions and have looked efficient on both sides of the ball, while this Portuguese team has been the pleasant surprise of the tournament, and could very well shock the entire system and win their first tournament.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Semifinal 1

We are here in Rome, at the Olimpico, where the final will be played in 5 days' time. Today the hosts and 2018 World Champions are looking to continue their journey to greatness in front of the home crowd, while England are looking to break their semifinal bug (They've been knocked out in 2020 and 2022 in the semis to Spain and the US respectively).

England are naming an unchanged lineup again, bolstered by the attacking quartet of Seattle Duo Dan Jeffrey and Ross Barkley, along with Will Hughes and James Ward-Prowse. Italy counter with a 4-3-1-2, with Atletico man Gugliemelo Giordano looking to add to his already large tally this tournament.

LIVE BLOG
11' Ward-Prowse plays in a cross, and Hughes is unmarked in the box. GOAL 1-0 England
15' Dan Jeffrey gets in behind but Italy keeper Mostachhi saves true.
27' Man City man Gabriel Romani is called for Handball in the box on a corner. Will Hughes slots home the penalty with ease. GOAL 2-0 ENGLAND
44' Giordano gets in behind but Jack Butland takes care of the danger easily. On the ensuing corner, Romani hits a header off the bar, and a yakety sax occursbut the ball doesn't go in.
49' THREE IS THE CHARM FOR ENGLAND AS WILL HUGHES FINDS DAN JEFFREY BEHIND! GOAL 3-0 ENGLAND
58' Gabriel Romani grabs one back on a header off a cross from Melle. GOAL 3-1 England
61' Thomas Borgna finds his City teammate Romani in the box, but it's saved but Butland. Italy look threatening now.
62' Dan Jeffrey off injured for England. Doesn't look good.
74' N'doye for Italy skies it over the bar.
77' N'diaye finds Romani in the box, but another wonderful save from Butland denies Italy a second.
84' Melle breaks forward on the counter, and finds Giordano in the box, but the star man for Italy just shoots wide. Heartbreak here in the Olimpico.
88' Borgna finds Romani in the box, and he again cannot connect as it goes over.
FINAL: Italy stunned as despite a 19-8 shot difference they lose here 3-1. They only have themselves to blame, missing 10 shots on 4 clear cut chances. England on the brink of their first Euro title.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Semifinal 2

It's an all-Iberian affair here in Naples, as 3 out of the last 4 and 4 time champions Spain face a Portuguese side who has yet to win a title at all on the world stage. It's a rematch of the 2012 semi that went to penalties, where Cristiano Ronaldo never got to kick. This is his last chance to win a title with Portugal, will he be able to lead these youngsters to a victory over a very strong Spanish side?

Spain have already lost this tournament, in their opening match to Holland, while Portugal have looked unstoppable. Bayern and NYCFC wingers Jesus and Sergio will look to exploit the Portuguese gap in defense, while 6-goal man Gio Simeone will be supported by Daniel in cracking opening the Portuguese back line. Portugal name just one change from their side vs. Croatia, with Joao Guia coming in in place of Inzaghi Ie.

LIVE BLOG
2' Spain attacking with force, and Angelino seems to be constantly exploiting Portugal's right flank with Jose Pedro in no man's land. He even tracks the wing back well once he enters his LB zone. The City product looks to be shutting him down so far.
4' GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL DE ESPANA! Filipe Vargas is stupidly dispossesed in Spain's defensive third, and Daniel find Gio Simeone, who races down field, beating Janco in a foot race, and finding Daniel back, and his shot goes off Bernard and in! GOAL 1-0 Spain
5' Daniel exploits the space left down the Spanish right (By Portuguese-Spaniard Antonio Gumiel) but sees his shot go over the bar.
9' Gumiel catches the Spanish off guard, and crosses in to Correia, but his header goes wide by a fair margin.
20' Vargas hits a shot from outside the box wide
21' Correia hits a shot with blistering power, but de Gea does well to save at the last moments.
33' Correia's header was headed in but de Gea tips it wide again.
44' Angelino dominating Jose Pedro's right. Another cross just goes out for a corner
45' Just like the goal in the Italy game, Paulo Borges is called for a pently in the box on the ensuing corner. Who else steps up but Gio Simeone, who converts his 4th PK and 7th goal overall of the tournament! GOAL 2-0 SPAIN
HALF
Portugal have made a couple of youthful errors, and despite dominating possesion, they have not been able to handle a double overlap from the flanks. Arda Trogran will surely look to incorporate some changes. One change, as Marcelinho is on for Sandro Dias, who is on a yellow.
49' Gumiel storms down the left, but Correia again heads over.
53' Spanish defense stuffs Portugal in their own 18, with Thiago making two key tackles of Edgar Correia.
Two more changes for Portugal. as Marcos Lopes is on for Paulo Borges, and Fernando Viana is on for Jose Pedro. Marcelinho drops into central defense while Antonio Gumiel moves up to an AML position.
66' Bernard just barely tips out a Jesus cross.
68' BROUGHT ONE BACK! Hector Espinoza hits a beautiful weighted free kick from about 21', bringing Portugal within 1! GOAL 2-1 SPAIN
70' Gumiel crosses it in to a wide open David Soares, but he idles on the ball and Isidiro Leon tackles him.
71' GOOOOOOLLLLLAZZZZOOOOOOO DO PORTUGAL! Everton man Fernando Viana, who was a surprise to make this squad, crosses it in from the right, and David Soares runs past Isidiro Leon, and puts it past de Gea for the goal! 2-2 ALL!
73' SPEECHLESS IN THE SAO PAOLO! Bernard hits a GK to Fernando Viana, who AGAIN finds Soares in. The speedy forward runs in behind Leon again, and this time hits from distance! 3-2 PORTUGAL!

76' Daniel is found in the box by Alex Grimaldo, but his shot is saved by Cyril Bernard.
79' Soares nearly scores, but Carlos makes a great last-man tackle on him.
80' Bernard makes a dumb mistake, catching the ball from a cross and then running out of bounds. On the corner, Spain calls for another penalty as Thiago is brought down in the box, but it's not given.
83' Correia heads at de Gea, but it's tipped wide!
86' IS THERE NO END TO THE DRAMA? Sergio bombs down the right, crossing it in to GIO SIMEONE who gets past Janco for the tap in. GOAL 3-3 ALL
92' A foul in the box by Gio Simeone nullifies the excitement of the goal rolling into the back of the net from the Sao Paulo man
93' A Hector Espinoza foul outside the box gives a FK to Sergio, but he hits it over the bar.
END OF REGULATION
102' Sergio finds Gio again in the box, and the header gets past Bernard but off the post!
105' Lopes' cross in the box is cleared for miles by Marc Bartra
106' SPANISH DELIGHT! Sergio crosses it in to Daniel, who taps it in after sneaking past Iovaldo Janco! 4-3 SPAIN!
112' Espinoza's pass goes past Lopes and into Thiago's feet.
113' Daniel is called for a hand ball in the box.
FINAL! Portugal fought back and took the lead, but luck was on Spain's side tonight, as they win 4-3 in this instant classic that may never be forgotten!

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
In my post-match chat with the team, Ronaldo got real petulant and started verbally fighting with the rest of the team. At least he's going to retire soon.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
2024 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

In what should be a thrilling final, the dominant English face off against the Spanish who escaped an arduous game against Portugal.

England are without Dan Jeffrey, ruled out by injury, and Ward-Prowse is only fit for the bench, so Ox and 23yo NY Cosmos ST Alan Walshe are in their places. Spain are naming an unchanged side from the game against Portugal, and will surely not be the most fit for this game.

LIVE BLOG:
0' Sergio crosses it in, and Phil Jones cannot clear, so it's out for a corner. The ensuing corner nearly goes in as well.
4' Daniel receives the ball at the top of the box from THiago, and Simeone runs in behind past Reading man Partridge in for a GOAL SPAIN 1-0
8' Muniain finds Jesus, who crosses it in past Seattle's Dexter Allen and finds Angelino, who slots it in. GOAL SPAIN 2-0
15' Muniain shoots wide
24' Wilshere bizarrely shoots a slow shot wide from 25 yards out.
26' THIIIIIIIAAAAGOOOOOOOO! The Atletico man hits a FK from 26, giving Spain their 3rd! GOAL SPAIN 3-0
41' Alan Walshe ruled offsides
42' Angelino crosses on a corner, and Sergio knocks it in! AN ENGLISH SLAUGHTER HERE IN ROME! GOAL SPAIN 4-0
Half time: Ronald Koeman's men will need something different in the second half, while Paco Ayestaran's squad will be very happy with their performances.

52' Thiago tries another FK, but this one goes way over.
62' A Gio Simeone shot is saved well by Butland.
70' Sowah booked for a cyncial foul. Thiago hits the post on the ensuing free kick.
72' Jack Wilshere looks absolutely lost as he shoots another weak dribbler, this time straight to de Gea.
84' Phil Jones fouls Francesco Marin in the box, and with Gio Subbed out, the Leverkusen man takes the PK instead and converts it! GOAL SPAIN 5-0
89' It's Partridge this time with the penalty, as he takes down Oliver Torres. Marin converts again. England simply petulant at this point. GOAL SPAIN 6-0!
FINAL! SPAIN are champions yet again! England go home trophyless and will feel that sense of disappointment once more. Will they ever win another international title? Spain qualify for the 2025 Confederations Cup, and will be favorites to take home the 2026 trophy, but the hosts of both, the USA, will have something to say about that.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
EURO 2024 RECAP

Best Player Award:
1. Sergio, Spain/NYCFC 5 Goals, 6 assists 8.40 rating NEW RECORD
2. James Ward-Prowse, England/Southampton 2 Goals, 3 assists, 7.90 rating
3. David Soares, Portugal/Benfica 6 goals, 4 assists, 8.37 rating

Golden Boot:
1. Gio Simeone, Spain/Sao Paulo 9 Goals NEW RECORD
2. David Soares, Portugal/Benfica 6 Goals
3. Guglielmo Giordano, Italy/Atletico 5 Goals

Top Goals:
1. Antonio de Angelis Italy vs. Switzerland (Screamer from the top of the box)
2. Jano Georgia vs. Portugal (Free Kick)
3. Angelino Spain vs. Russia (Free Kick)

Dream Team:

1st Team:
Simeone-Soares
Rotariu-Lopes-Ward/Prowse-Sergio
Angelino-Leon-Inzaghi-Jose Pedro
de Gea

2nd Team:
Correia
Vargas-Giordano-Daniel
Januzaj-Chevalier-Espinoza
Gumiel-Carlos-Azpilicueta
Sommer

Top Assists:
1. Sergio Spain/NYCFC 6
2. Filipe Vargas Portugal/Benfica 5
3. Marcos Lopes Portugal/Atletico 4
= David Soares Portugal/Benfica 4
= Daniel Spain/Bayern 4

MOTM:
1. Darin Rotariu Romania/Liverpool 3
2. Others

Clean Sheets:
1. David de Gea Spain/Man U 4

Key Passes:
1. Adnan Januzaj Turkey/NYCFC 15
2. David Soares Portugal/Benfica 11
3. Filipe Vargas Portugal/Benfica 10
4. Gugielmo Giordano Italy/Atletico 9
= Edgar Correia Portugal/Benfica 9

Team Goals:
1. Portugal 25
2. Spain 24
3. Italy 14

Allowed:
1. Germany 3
2. Austria, Bosnia, Russia, Switzerland 4

Penalties:
1. Spain 7
2. Italy 2

Free Kick Goals:
1. Portugal 2
2. Others 1

Next Tournament: 2025 Confederations Cup[United States] and 2025 Gold Cup

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Didn't bother to cover it in depth, but the US won their first international tournament (technically), as they beat Brazil in the 2024 Johannesburg Olympic finals in extra time 2-1. Should be a good sign for their next couple of years as hosts.

Spain continue as #1 following the Euros. England jumped to #2, France to #3, Brazil #4, Germany #5. Portugal oddly didn't increase at all from #9. Italy got their post-hosting ranking returned, as they jumped to #12 from #26. USA fell to #17 on the other hand, because they don't have to qualifying for the WC.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Check that 24' effort from wilshere. Ain't really anything weird about that lol

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Midseason Update

Couple of chunks of news.

First, the 2025 AFCON in Morocco finished just at the start of February. It was actually a fairly enticing tournament, and the finals tree looked like this:

Egypt 3
Mali 0
-
Nigeria 4
Cameroon 1
---
---
Algeria 3
So. Africa 1
-
Tunisia 1
Ivory Coast 1p

Egypt 1
Nigeria 0
-
Ivory Coast 3
Algeria 0

The final game came down to Egypt, who are usually adept at this tournament, and Ivory Coast, who have not won (nor even gotten to the final) in this time line yet, and the game down to the 93rd minute, where Swansea ST Charles Ouattara won and converted a penalty to give CIV the win. Congratulations to them.

Next, I have a list of a couple of the next hosts for various competitions. I do long sims now and will sometimes miss these announcements.
Euro 2028 and 2032: Belgium and Scotland/Wales
AFCON2027: Tunisia
Copa America 2027: Uruguay
FIFA U-20 2024: Denmark
Asian Cup 2027: UAE

No word on who gets the 2029/30 combo yet.

Finally, the draw for the Confederations Cup. It's always nice when the host is actually good, like in 2013, and New Zealand has actually progressed to a pretty good amount as well. The only disappointment is Japan, who tumbled out of WC qualifying and are guaranteed to miss the 2026 affair. The rest of the teams are still on track.

Group A:
USA(Hosts)
Croatia(WC Holder)
Nigeria(AFCON2023)
New Zealand(Oceania)

Group B:
Spain(Euro)
Canada(North America, 2nd place in Gold Cup to USA)
Argentina(Copa America)
Japan(Asian Cup)

The 2022 WC Final rematch will take place on June 18th. USA open against Nigeria. Spain open against Canada. Should be a great tournament, I could really see 4 different teams winning it.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
2025 Confederations Cup Preview:

Going to go team-by-team to do a brief overview. Just a what have they done lately, and an overview of some key players to watch. It's getting to the point where most real players are on the wrong side of 30 so it's mostly regens in the international squads. Which isn't a bad thing, just makes following along a little trickier.

Group A

USA[Hosts]
Fifa Rank: 17
Last WC Finish: 2022 Runners Up vs. Croatia
Last Continental Finish: 2023 Winners vs. Canada
WC Qualifying: Qualified as Hosts
Most Valuable Player: Victor Manuel Quintana, 26yo Midfielder for NYRB (43M squiggly Es)
Highest Reputation Player: Julian Green, 30yo Left winger for LA Galaxy (128 Caps)
Wonderkid: Luis Woods, 21yo Striker for Philadelphia Union (19 goals in 25 apps for the Union last year)
Manager: Mike Petke
Formation 4-1-2-1-2 Wide

Croatia[WC Holder]
Fifa Rank: 12
Last WC Finish 2022 Winers vs. USA
Last Continental Finish: 2024 Round of 16 vs. Portugal
WC Qualifying: 2nd in Group 9 (Italy, Armenia, Nor. Ireland, Latvia), 2 points off Italy
MVP: Petar Ciglar, 26yo Striker for Man City (67M squiggly Es)
That Guy: Domagoj Tomecak, 24yo Striker for Dortmund (Scored winning goal against USA in 89th minute)
Wonderkid: Damir Haluzan, 22yo Midfielder for Stuttgart (7.24 rating in all comps, 15 caps)
Manager: Zoran Mamic
Formation: 4-4-2 or 4-5-1

Nigeria[AFCON]
Fifa Rank: 15
Last WC Finish: 3rd in Group B, 2018 Russia (DNQ 2022)
Last Continental Finish: 2025 3rd place vs. Algeria
WC Qualifying: Advanced from 2nd Round Group 2 with a game to spare (CPV, GUI, ECG)
MVP: Samuel Amodu, 25yo LB/LWB/ML/AML for Dortmund (Natural at all 4, 34M Squiggly Es
Top Reputation: Daniel Adams, 27yo Center Back for Stuttgart (5.25 tackles/gm in Bundesliga)
Wonderkid: Samuel Yakubu, 20yo Striker for Molde FK (6'6, 18 Jumping. 9 goals in 11 Norwegian games)
Manager: Dickson Etuhu (Former Fulham/Blackburn guy)
Formation: 4-4-2

New Zealand[OFC]
Fifa Rank: 77
Last WC Finish: 2010 3rd Place Group F (Has not qualified this sim, lost to Canada, Iran, and Paraguay)
Last Continental Finish: 2024 Winners vs. Fiji (7-0, lawd)
WC Qualifying: Advanced to intercontinental playoff (Guessing against CONCACAF again? Who knows)
MVP: Corey Patterson, 28yo Striker for LA Galaxy (42M Squiggly Es, 20 goals in 27 starts for Galaxy)
Longest Hair: Simon Green, 27yo Midfielder for Seattle (6 goals, 7 assists in 31 games)
Wonderkid: Jamie Flaws, 21yo Striker for Schalke (8 goals, 3 assists in 9 Bundesliga games)
Manager: Rickie Herbert
Formation: 4-5-1

Group B:

Spain[UEFA]
Fifa Rank: 1
Last WC Finish: 2022 Quarterfinals vs. England
Last Continental Finish: 2024 Winners vs. England
WC Qualifying: 1st and undefeated in Group 1 (6 GP)
MVP: Francisco Marin, 25yo Striker for Seattle (72, yes, 72M Squiggly Es)
The Three: Sergio, Daniel, Jesus, NYCFC, Bayern, NYRB (Jesus was US Superleague MVP)
Wonderkid: Cristian, 23yo Arsenal CDM (Youngest on the roster, 52 GP for Arsenal)
Manager: Paco Ayestaran
Formation: 4-2-3-1

Argentina[CONMEBOL]
Fifa Rank: 8
Last WC Finish: 2022 Round of 16 vs. Japan AET
Last Continental Finish: 2023 Winners vs. Brazil
WC Qualifying: 4th in CONMEBOL with 14 GP of 18 (2 from playoff, 7 from drop)
MVP: Damian Ortiz, 26yo LA Galaxy CAM (66M Squiggly Es)
Personal Pride: Armando Suarez, 26yo Sion CM (7.24 rating in Swiss League, found him myself)
Wonderkid: Rafael Cordoba, 23yo Portland Winger (9 goals in 34 Superleague games)
Manager: Juan Cruz Gilli

Japan[AFC]
Fifa Rank: 44
Last WC Finish: 2022 Quarterfinals vs. Croatia
Last Continental Finish: 2023 Winners vs. Iran
WC Qualifying: Eliminated in 3rd round by UAE and Uzebekistan
MVP: Hideyuki Komatsuzaki, 25yo Striker for Dortmund (66m Squiggly Es)
Giant: Sho Hasebe, 27yo GK for Stoke (10 EPL Clean Sheets, 6'3)
Wonderkid: Kyohei Yamaguchi, 22yo Striker for Wolfsburg (26 goals over 45apps in all comps)
Manager: Eyjolfur Sverrison
Formation: 4-2-3-1 (mind boggling with two good forwards)

Canada[CONCACAF]
Fifa Rank: 27
Last WC Finish: 4th in Group E, 2018 (Also in 2014, oddly. DNQ for 2022, behind US, MEX, JAM, and HON)
WC Qualifying: 3rd in Hex with 10 points, 3 ahead of Jamaica and 7 ahead of Honduras
MVP: Robert Magana, 24yo Midfielder for Toronto FC (24M Squigglies, turncoat American)
Top Rep: Bruno DiPlacido, 28yo Midfielder for Seattle (10 assists in 22 Superleague Games)
(Real Top rep guy Stefanous Tousalias out with injury)
Wonderkid: Joel McGann, 24yo CDM for Colombus (Youngest ahead of Magana, Part Jamaican)
Manager: Mark Watson

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Matchday 1

Certainly Confed Cup Attendance records are broken today. 100k and 91k in attendance for the opening two games. Just imagine at next year's World Cup. Both games are in California today, one at the Coliseum, the other the Rose Bowl.

USA 3-2 Nigeria

Nigeria coming out in a 4-3-1-2, with CB Daniel Adams wearing the armband. Seattle CB Sean Lalas gets the band for the US, with Green on the bench in their usual diamond shape. Jason Rowland and Jair de Jesus will be up front for the US, while Success and Charles are doing the dirty work for Nigeria.

In the 3rd, Bright Charles easily gets in behind, but the Pacos Ferreia man sends it wide. Quintana finds Rodriguez in the box in the 8th, but the shot is salved by Oliseh. Rowland gets called off in the 18th. Clark saves a shot from Eze in the 24th. In the 28th, Powers plays Rowland in, but the shot is saved by Oliseh and then cleared by Adams. Eze finds Success on a through ball but the shot is saved by Clark in the 32nd. In the 37th, Nigeria CM Laukman Haruna tries to clear the ball following a corner, but it falls to Quintana who dribbles past the defense and slots it home near post! GOAL USA 1-0 In the 44th, Rodriguez finds Rowland, who somehow beats the usually stout Daniel Adams, and his shot tips off Oliseh and in. GOAL 2-0 USA!! Powers misses a sitter in the 46th.

USA clearly pushing up high and stretching the field, Nigeria can't handle them in wide positions. JdJ Rodriguez gets whistled off in the 59th. Corrales hit the post in the 62nd. Powers found Rowland over top, but the shot is saved well by Oliseh in the 63rd. Luis Woods and Zemanski from NYCosmos come on in the 68th. Imoh Ezekiel drags Sean Lalas out, and finds Bright Charles, who slots it past Clark to give Nigeria one back. GOAL 2-1 USA In the 77th, Emmanuel Eze is left wide open on a corner, and he heads it past Clark for #2. GOAL 2-2 A Quintana cross in the 80th is bizzarely touched by Oliseh, and it bounces off of him and into the back of the net. GOAL 3-2 USA JDJ and Quintana both called off in the 88th and 90th each. Nigeria got a free kick in their own half with about 45 seconds left to play, but oddly seemed content to just pass it around, and the final whistle blew at the Coliseum to end this one. USA looked better early, but questionable set piece defending leaves nothing but questions for their next game in a WC Final rematch.

Croatia 2-2 New Zealand

Croatia started off strong, with Barcelona's Vladimir Duspara coming up big in the 18th with a curled shot. Galaxy man Corey Patterson brought one back for the Kiwis in front of his home fans in the 43rd on a shot that bounced off the post. Seattle man Simon Green hit a volley inside the box and it went in at the other side of the break, and New Zealand for a moment had the World Champs on the ropes. But Mateo Kovacic, now at Dortmund, answered back quickly with a shot in the 50th, and the game ended at 2-2. If New Zealand can ride their Superleague talent, they could certainly pose an upset in this group.

Tomorrow:
Japan vs. Canada
Argentina vs. Spain(Watching)

Next Group A MatchDay:
Croatia vs. USA
Nigeria vs. New Zealand

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 2

Argentina 2-1 Spain
Dallas, TX

Spain running out their 4-2-3-1, with Gio Simeone up top, Marin taking the LW, Daniel surprisingly on the bench in favor of usual CB Isidiro Leon taking up a CM spot. Argentina in a 4-4-2, with Galaxy and Seattle duo Ortiz and Toledo up top.

Toledo goes off sides very early on. In the 20th, Everton CM Jonatan Bagatti was brought down by a cynical two-legged challenge from Atletico's Thiago Alcantara, and the referee shows him a RED! Leon shifts to the midfield by himself, with Spain now in a 4-1-3-1. In the 25th, Agustin Allione hits the bar on a nice shot from distance. Sergio runs in behind but chips it over in the 28th.

Gio Simeone gets called off in the 47th. Jonathan Silva gets a yellow for Argentina in the 49th. Sergio hits a free kick from about 45 out that is easily trapped by Carrasco. Controversy in the 51st as Gio Simeone find Francisco Marin in behind, and he puts in the back of the net, but the 4th official ruled wrongly and did not give the offside. GOAL 1-0 Spain In the 65th, Allione finds the just subbed on Shcalke man Jonathan Traverso, who hits and is saved by de Gea, and the shot rebounds to captain Lucas Romero of NYCosmos, who is blocked, and the ball finally falls to Allione who puts in the back of the net. GOAL 1-1 Everton man Jonatan Bagatti crosses it in to sub #10 Pablo Maguna of Udinese, who hits a power header and scores in the 82nd! GOAL GOAL GOAL 2-1 Argentina! Carrasco saves Gio's shot in the 87th. Ahorrabuena for Spain gets a FK in the 93rd of +3, but the cross is cleared by Bagatti, and Argentina walk out winners!

Canada 1-1 Japan
East Rutherford, NJ

Canada will feel disappointed with their efforts, with two tough games to play. Nottingham Forest man Nikki Sutton hit a power header in the 71st to go ahead, but Canada couldn't keep their cool, as they let up a silly goal from Kyohei Yamaguchi, the Wolfsburg man, following an error from Vancouver GK Francesco Bardi (who naturalized). The Canadians held 65% possesion and won the shots battle 13-8, but Japan were quick and dangerous on counters.

Next:
USA vs. Croatia(watching)
Nigeria vs. New Zealand

Group B:
Japan vs. Argentina
Canada vs. Spain

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Who are some other former players who are now managing like Etuhu?

I've been stockpiling most of them on my staff at Benfica, haha. Tom Huddlestone is coaching Brighton, Filipe Melo is coaching Palmeiras. LA Galaxy's Juninho is now at RSL. Bayern CB Dante is now managing at Cobreloa in Chile (Finished 2nd and 4th last year) David Pizarro (Fiorentina) is currently at Santiago Morning in Chile's top division. Seedorf is in charge of Holland, Martin Caceres at Uruguay. Argentina's current coach, Juan Cruz Gill, is currently playing at Deportes Temulco in real life, in Chile. Buba(Ribeirao, Portugal) is now in charge of Cameroon. KPB at Ghana. Houssine Kharja(Wydad Casablanca) at Morocco. Grant Marshall, Claude Gondo for AUS and CIV. Maicon(RB) at Bahia. Boussoufa (Anzhi guy) at El Jadida in Morocco. Beto (Sevilla GK) at Gondumar in Portugal 2. Wilfried Bony at Swansea

On my club team(Benfica):

Sporting Director: Ezequiel Garay
Youth Manager: Fernando Reges
Assistant Manager: Daid Trezeguet
GK Coaches: Oliver Kahn, Jans Lehmann
Fitness Coach: Karim Benzema
Youth Coaches: CR7, Franck Ribery, Maicon(Porto CB)
Scout: Mantorras

There are other former guys around, but they're assistants and harder to look up. If you want a player in particular I'll see if he's still around.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 3 Part 1

New Zealand 0-2 Nigeria

Despite a valiant effort from the Kiwi defense, Nigeria came out with a vital victory that keeps them alive in the competition, thanks to the work of their striker duo. PSG CB Johnson Bello took the MOTM, though Isaac Succes and Bright Charles each took home a goal for their torubles.

USA-Croatia Preview

Here are the lineups for the 2022 Final rematch. Croatia at the bottom, USA at the top, facing each other

------------Clark---------------
Corrales-Sinato-Lalas(C)-Johnson
----------Zemanski-------------
Rowland----------------Quintana
-----------Powers--------------
-----------JDJ-Woods-----------

vs.

--------------Ciglar-------------
--------------------------------
Dusp-Haluzan-Rado-Kova-Tomcak
--------------------------------
-Dumovic-Palic-Zigante-Vrsaljko-
--------------Buljay-------------
Liveblog to come!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 3- LIVE BLOG!

It's 3 years removed from the final in Doha Qatar, and the USA are still holding that pain of a late defeat. They get their first chance at redemption here, against a Croatia team retaining most of the winners from that 2022 side.

4' Ciglar was in behind, but Sinato clears it out.
6' Tomecak finds Ciglar in, and the USA looked absolutely lost! GOAL 1-0 Croatia
7' JDJ finds Powers, but Buljat saves well.
14' Vlad Duspara bombs down the wing, and finds Ciglar again! Lalas is leaving him wide open! GOAL 2-0 Croatia!
22' Quintana goes down the right, and plays a high cross that Philly Union wonderkid Luis Woods gets on the end of! GOAL GOAL GOAL 2-1!
29' Zigante plays a lobbed ball to Tomecak, who skips past Sean Lalas again, and this time slots it in to the left corner. GOAL 3-1 Croatia! They are running riot!
39' Mike Petke changes his tactic.
40' Dumovic is booked.
44' Mateo Kovacic off with Injury. Vrsaljko comes to midfield, while Ninic is the sub.
47' Duspara hits a wonderfully curved FK, but Clark gets on the end of it to save.
56' Zemanski finds Julian Green in behind, who shoots it past Buljat and in. Wonderful sub for Petke! GOAL GOAL 3-2
72' Quintana booked
90' Powers gets the ball at the top of the box and shoots, but it's blocked by Palic. 3 minutes added.
91' Green crosses but it falls to Buljat. Quitana recovers the goal kick, but shoots and hits the side netting.
93' Quintana's long ball is cleared by Palic. Powers wins the ball from Radosevic but goes down injured. JDJ cleares the ball in a sporting gesture.
94' A final effort from Quintana is cleared by Radosevic. Game over, 3-2 Croatia.

USA will most likely need a result against the Kiwis to advance, depending on the result of the Nigeria-Croatia fixture. Being eliminated this early would be an embarassment for Petke's men on home soil.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Day 4

Make or break in Group B play today.

Argentina 4-1 Japan
Dallas, TX

Argentina ran riot on the Japanese in Cowboys Stadium, securing their qualification to the semfinals. Galaxy star man Damian Ortiz knocked in two in the 23rd and 27th minutes, giving Argentina an early lead. Agustin Allione added a 3rd in the 59th. Korean-Japanese midfielder Lee Kyoo-Ho grabbed one back for the Samurai Blue, though it was not for long as Udinese's Pablo Maguna bagged one a minute after to give Argentine their 4th goal of the game. With the loss, Japan will need a result against Spain and some help from Argentina to secure qualification. Argentina finish 1st in the group, thanks to the result of the other game in this group.

Spain 0-0 Canada
Pasadena, CA

A largely boring game. Both teams had 50% possession, 9 shots with 2 on target, and that's about it. NYCFC's CB Adrian Larkin and Real Betis' Angelino held the highest match rating for their teams, thanks to their defensive performances. With the draw, Spain are a point behind Canada with a game against Japan. They will need a win or a draw and some help, and even a win could see them go home if Canada beat Argentina. It would certainly be a disappointing finish for La Roja were they not to reach the semis of this tournament.

Next:
USA-New Zealand
Croatia-Nigeria(Watching)

Canada-Argentina(Watching)
Japan-Spain

Here are the two tables:

Group A:
Croatia 1-1-0 +1 4pts
Nigeria 1-0-1 +1 3pts
USA 1-0-1 0 3pts
New Zealand 0-0-2 -2 0pts

Croatia advance with win or draw, and with loss AND NZ win
Nigeria advance with win, draw and NZ win, loss AND NZ win depending on GD
USA advance with win, draw and Nigeria loss, loss by 1 and Nigeria lose by 3
NZ advance with win, Nigeria loss depending on GD

Group B:
[BCOLOR=#00ff00]Argentina 2-0-0 +4 6pts[/BCOLOR]
Canada 0-2-0 0 2pts
Spain 0-1-1 -1 1pt
Japan 0-1-1 -3 1pt

Argentina qualify in first place for the next round
Canada advance with Win over Argentina, Draw and Spain Draw, Loss by 1 and Spain draw depending on GD/ GS, etc.
Spain advance with Win over Japan and Canada loss/draw, Draw and Canada lose by 1(tiebreakers) or 2+(GD)
Japan advance with Win over Spain and Canada loss/draw, Draw and Canada lose by 3(tiebreaker) or 4(GD)

Last edited: