• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Feeder League Discussion

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Mr. Radpants

Been reading this

Looking at it we'd need at least 40 teams in a feeder league system. Each team produces 6-9 players so the minimum we'd need is the equation (#teams x #rounds)/6. We have 15 rounds for 3 levels.

40 teams is a lot, I need to set this up in an alternate file to see how big the upload gets at that point and find out if it is even worth trying. However right now we have 64 teams, so depending on how much the teams/players take up of the upload file it might not make it too drastic.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Would the guys coming into the draft be older, then (like college-aged)? Or is it like junior hockey, where everyone is 18-19? If they are older, maybe we could get rid of A teams?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Would the guys coming into the draft be older, then (like college-aged)? Or is it like junior hockey, where everyone is 18-19? If they are older, maybe we could get rid of A teams?

We would have two leagues, one for 15-17 year olds and one for 18-21 year olds. So they can come out of HS at 17ish (17 is the start of the season so they can turn 18 during) and declare themselves eligible or they go to college and come out at 21.

NML

Can I get a pro/con list?

Seems like a lot of work and possible bugs that would ruin a file for minimal benefit, but it's possible I don't fully understand.

osick87

Community Liaison
We'd probably still want A teams just because of the amount of players that would be coming in from the draft.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Can I get a pro/con list?

Seems like a lot of work and possible bugs that would ruin a file for minimal benefit, but it's possible I don't fully understand.

That's why I said it would be tested. The pros are we'd have up to 6 years of stats knowing the stats mean something since they are going against guys in the draft. Well up to 3 years in HS/6 years if they go to college.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We'd probably still want A teams just because of the amount of players that would be coming in from the draft.

Yeah the 40 teams is what we'd need for 3 minor league teams. We'd keep A.

This may not work, I will do a full test tomorrow after work. If it does it will be magical.

osick87

Community Liaison
How would we get the information? Would it be on another website or would we have to grab another file? Wendell makes videos about the top performances. Dawg Gone scouting

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We can also make the draft classes look like we want them to doing this. I can make more college teams for more college players in the draft or vice versa.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We'd probably need to decide if we want HS and colleges (I'm pretty sure they have a database with a bunch of them) or lore teams. We could have bragging rights for HS teams if they have yours in game, a kind of which HS produces the most talent thing. Same with college, but lore teams are good too.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This is in reference to coverting to a feeder system after 20 years of normal play, meaning our situation.

"It shouldn't screw anything up, but do backup and be careful. Also, keep an eye on your draft rounds and the number of players in the pool. The game will take it upon itself to change the number of rounds in the draft on you, and your pools early on might be light (first season or two). You can allow the game to create a mix of feeder and created players to start if it worries you. But usually your league can absorb two years of light drafts without problems."

osick87

Community Liaison
We'd probably need to decide if we want HS and colleges (I'm pretty sure they have a database with a bunch of them) or lore teams. We could have bragging rights for HS teams if they have yours in game, a kind of which HS produces the most talent thing. Same with college, but lore teams are good too.

I think in an effort to get @Yankee151 more immersed in this league, Lore teams would be "College", while alma maters would be High School.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think in an effort to get @Yankee151 more immersed in this league, Lore teams would be "College", while alma maters would be High School.

That's what I was thinking but wanted to float the idea. I'm thinking 18 HS teams, 22 lore teams but I'm still reading on how the numbers affect draft classes. I think I know enough to start testing tomorrow though. We'll see how big this file gets after 20 years.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
That's what I was thinking but wanted to float the idea. I'm thinking 18 HS teams, 22 lore teams but I'm still reading on how the numbers affect draft classes. I think I know enough to start testing tomorrow though. We'll see how big this file gets after 20 years.

Can't you fake being sick to go home and do this right meow?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm going to do two tests tomorrow. One with expansion due to having three owners wanting in now, and one with the feeders. Going to see how file size reacts to both

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Trading would be useless and they couldnt draft.. -immersion

They wouldn't be able to do anything except watch their teams and wait for people to quit. They'd have to fight over who could produce the most top end talent

osick87

Community Liaison
I would think expansion draft would help with immersion. Build teams your way and stuff.

osick87

Community Liaison
Of course that also opens a huge can of worms for discussions. Might be easier to make a Google form for people to fill out.

Gooksta

A ton of free agents --expansion teams could sign to fill rosters.. massive build up effort.. but would be fun imo.. id even let them take over my team so i could do that..

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
These were the rules of the last MLB ones. We could easily tweak them. I assume people would want to increase the First round figure. If it was something we consider, I would make a spreadsheet of draft eligible players.

The Devil Rays and Diamondbacks could pick any player not on the protected lists of the 28 other teams, although no team could lose more than one player in a given round. The protected list for each team consisted of:
  • For the first round, 15 players from the rosters of their entire organization—both their 40-man roster, plus all minor league affiliates.[sup][4][/sup]
  • Each team could add three more players to its protected list after each round.[sup][4][/sup]
  • In addition to the above, players chosen in the 1996 and 1997 amateur drafts were automatically protected, plus players who were 18 or younger when signed in 1995.
  • Players who were free agents after the end of the 1997 season need not be protected.

Lloyd Carr

I'm not a huge fan of the expansion teams choosing players from current teams.

Taking one star player from Amsterdam is going to make much less of a difference than taking one star player from the Seoul team. Drafting from current teams also negatively affects those teams that weren't prepared for or expecting an expansion draft, and thus got rid of their depth in their minor league systems, in order to compete right now. I wouldn't quit if that's the way the league decided to go, but I'd definitely want to consider other options first before deciding to go that route.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm not a huge fan of the expansion teams choosing players from current teams.

Taking one star player from Amsterdam is going to make much less of a difference than taking one star player from the Seoul team. Drafting from current teams also negatively affects those teams that weren't prepared for or expecting an expansion draft, and thus got rid of their depth in their minor league systems, in order to compete right now. I wouldn't quit if that's the way the league decided to go, but I'd definitely want to consider other options first before deciding to go that route.
Well that won't happen so don't be scared