• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022: The Offseason Thread - The Breakup Song

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
I mean this instance is not "fair" but it's more nuanced than that. Football programs are huge revenue generators, helping to fund academics as well as entire other sports. A UIUC PHD is not cheapened by an athlete majoring in Communications in my opinion.

They aren’t huge revenue generators for the university. At best, football progrums subsidize the rest of the athletic department with enough left over to make a token contribution to the university (token in the context of the scope of the overall university budget).

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, the Illinois football program is probably not even turning a profit whereas their academic programs get hundreds of millions in grants lol. It's why the Big Ten Academic Alliance is such a big deal

Skeeter

Uber felon
This is the same as the "Everyone else pays players but ma'school" argument
UNC set new levels of cheating. I don't think it's fair to say all schools cheat like UNC. Giving someone an undeserved grade bump is different than paying school employees to do the work for them.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I just don't care anymore. I don't care if the best player in the country has someone take his tests for him. The only reason he has to is because of this archaic system that we have. Any other sport he could just go be a pro at 18. Nah let's send them to "school" and pretend it's about the fight song and pride.

However these conferences end up shaking out, whatever 30-40 teams break away from the ncaa won’t have the school portion as a requirement anymore. I don’t know what it will look like but prolly the new minor leagues like I been saying.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I think schools going out of their way to make sure athletes succeed doesn't necessarily mean that education itself is being devalued.
If you have an enrollment of 35-40K or more like most of the Big Ten schools do, if 200 kids are there to just get by and play sports, the percentage is so small it shouldn’t even be a talking point

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I just don't care anymore. I don't care if the best player in the country has someone take his tests for him. The only reason he has to is because of this archaic system that we have. Any other sport he could just go be a pro at 18. Nah let's send them to "school" and pretend it's about the fight song and pride.

However these conferences end up shaking out, whatever 30-40 teams break away from the ncaa won’t have the school portion as a requirement anymore. I don’t know what it will look like but prolly the new minor leagues like I been saying.
Well then they should just get rid of the schools all together and make new names for their teams and do a league then. Isn't the NFL against letting them go pro at 18 because they'll die? This isn't the NBA

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Well then they should just get rid of the schools all together and make new names for their teams and do a league then. Isn't the NFL against letting them go pro at 18 because they'll die? This isn't the NBA
Nah b, the nfl is against it because they don’t want to take the risk on even more draft busts. Imagine trying to project 17 year old 5 star Jared gaurantano at qb. Instead you can make the colleges take that risk and you get to scout 21 year old Jared gaurantano who obviously sucks and will never play any pro football of any kind.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY

Would almost make more sense to just create a developmental league and send legitimate prospects there, while kids who have very low NFL potential can go to play school and a lesser quality version of football.

Also wonder what this shifting landscape does to big boosters and donors.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nah b, the nfl is against it because they don’t want to take the risk on even more draft busts. Imagine trying to project 17 year old 5 star Jared gaurantano at qb. Instead you can make the colleges take that risk and you get to scout 21 year old Jared gaurantano who obviously sucks and will never play any pro football of any kind.

I'm sure that's it

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I'm sure that's it
It’s more than just that but name one reason the owners or the nflpa would want high school grads eligible. There are none really. More job competition for players, harder to scout potential and more busts etc., not as nfl ready. They’d have to pay some of them and wait for them to mature. Guys that aren’t bo jackson or Adrian Peterson etc.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
UNC set new levels of cheating. I don't think it's fair to say all schools cheat like UNC. Giving someone an undeserved grade bump is different than paying school employees to do the work for them.

As long as Mizzou also gets punished for every new incident of this I think it's all gravy.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It’s more than just that but name one reason the owners or the nflpa would want high school grads eligible. There are none really. More job competition for players, harder to scout potential and more busts etc., not as nfl ready. They’d have to pay some of them and wait for them to mature. Guys that aren’t bo jackson or Adrian Peterson etc.

That's my point, it's not scouting, it is that they wouldn't be ready. They would have to pay players for at least 2-3 years without a chance of them playing unless they were freaks. Those are roster spots they don't have and money they don't want to spend. That's the reason.

Ander1345

That's my point, it's not scouting, it is that they wouldn't be ready. They would have to pay players for at least 2-3 years without a chance of them playing unless they were freaks. Those are roster spots they don't have and money they don't want to spend. That's the reason.

I think it would be possible for those contracts to be reasonable enough to work, but I think the revenue generated for universities being lost could be rough for some schools(assuming doomsday scenario of minor league replacing cfb).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think it would be possible for those contracts to be reasonable enough to work, but I think the revenue generated for universities being lost could be rough for some schools.

Not without an overhaul of roster rules and contracts. And it wouldn't affect schools at all so idk what that means. People are fans of the colleges not the players, if you let all the 18 year olds that want to go pro do so there will still be players playing at Illinois. The fans will still root for Illinois.

How much money would the Big XII have lost if Adrian Peterson went pro out of HS? $0?

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
If we can fund minor league baseball we should be able to fund minor League football.

No one wants to fund minor league football. Imagine if major CFB progrums had the same following as minor league baseball teams or the G-League - there would be no visibility. College football is this weird arbitrary combination of minor league football and universities that kind of works for both parties - talent discovery/refinement and (personal) brand development for the NFL, and athletic spectacle and (institutional) brand development for universities. If you strip the collegiate branding from the top teams, then you are very unlikely to see the current CFB fan base supporting that venture financially.

Ander1345

Still the biggest carousel head scratcher. Dude had it made at ND. Literally got away with murder and now harder to make the CFP.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
You ever taken a college class with a D1 ATHOLETE? I guarantee you, even in the B1G, they didn't come to play school lol

Shayne Graham took CS3204 Data Structures so real he made our professor (McQuad the Lame) cry with his proficiency with C++ pointers.

I would gladly give up 100 IQ and sign up to bust rocks with my asshole in the Cincinnati Gulags to see this fool hanged from a helicopter over a tank of hungry Gators.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
In time a meteor, or our own very sun, will end human existence on this planet as well. I would expect either of those before Vanderbilt is the best football in any country. Even Somalia or Uzbekistan.

Mame YO

slings rocks
If Oregon state ends up in the Mountain West they will lose like 90% of the revenue they currently get from tv rights. Seems bad.