• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2022: The World Cup Thread

Snorky's Shame

Greatest WC in our lifetime, bros? @Snorky's Shame

So happy for Messi, Kun Aguero, Alvarez, ZABALETA, DEMICHILES, Tevez ..@Yankee151 @bruin228

94 (first one I really remember) and 02 (living like a vampire for a month after graduating college) are my favorites. As for the best you can make a case.

The good:

Probably the best final ever
Goals, lots of them
Upsets, lots of them
Asia and Africa proving their worth
Great storyline with Messi
Great quarterfinals
Emiliano Martinez’s trophy celebration

The bad:

Qatar on the field. 0-3 and one goal scored. Oof.
A few European teams that didn’t want to be there and it showed.
Average semifinals
The French not being at full strength

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
94 is the first one I remember actually watching and paying attention to. I was 8 and had been playing for a few years at that point. Denim star uniforms for life!

2002 was FUN. I was between my sophomore and junior years of high school then, playing on a pretty bad club team, LOL. I'm sure the U.S. beating Mexico and making it to the quarters and outplaying Germany had a lot to do with my enjoyment of the tournament in general.

This tournament was also highly entertaining, especially the Final. I missed a lot of the games because of work though.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Damn, I'm old. I remember 94, and how inexplicably excited I was for a sport which I had hitherto only seen on TV if I tuned in to the Spanish-language broadcasts of the Mexican league. I had never played soccer at all, and never knew anyone who was a big fan, so it didn't make sense why I was excited that the WC was coming to America.

I think what had always fascinated me about soccer was its global appeal, and how numerous countries had highly competitive leagues such that there were legendary teams in multiple countries. I thought, how cool would it be if other countries had teams as good as the Lakers, the Yankees, the Cowboys, and that these international teams actually squared up and played each other?

I was in college during the 94 Cup, and remembered that none of my dorm mates had any clue what the World Cup even was. :(

Then - in the opening match, Bolivia and Germany played to an extraordinarily dull 1-0 result where, IIRC, the lone goal wasn't even a spectacular golazo - it was a simple thing where the goalie got out of position and then one of the opposing players simply passed it into the goal. The equivalent of introducing the NFL to international fan by watching the Browns and Jaguars play a 9-3 field goal fest.