• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2054 Draft Report

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Now that the first round is done let's discuss who you thought were the best picks and the worst picks. If @osick87 and @Orlando feel this thread is superfluous please feel free to delete it and ban me for the day.

Mel "Money Bags" Kiper's Best pick of the 2054 1st Round: UK's selection of Greg Sharp (1-7 Closer).

Why I like this pick: The 2054 draft didn't have any starters that I felt had the potential to rise through the minors and make it as more than a #4 or #5 starter on rebuilding teams like the Little Rock Miners or the MiAAAAmi MAAAAnAAAAtees so those teams weren't going to make moves to move up to draft pitchers in the first round. Yes, the Moscow Mules took Husrev Estegun who, at 20, only has 35 stamina and five pitches but I didn't see that as an impact pick like I do Greg Sharp with UK. Alex Michael is another guy I don't see making it as an ELITE closer at the WBL level even with four pitches so it came down to Greg Sharp or Dan Olson as the best impact for me. Since I don't like @Wolfman21 'cause he's always stealing my schtick (and Olson may actually develop into an ok starter at the WBL level) I went with Greg Sharp and his ridiculous 13.3 K/9 and 10/1 K/BB ratios. Obviously those were against COL players but I just see Sharp continuing that greatness across the pond.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Barry Koch (Berlin 1-1): Could become a legit #1 SP if his Fastball and Forkball develop.
  • Scott kella (Little Rock 1-2): Solid pick for the rebuilding Miners. Not Even a Corner OFer™ but he's just 17, great CONTACT potential.
  • Numair Naji (Las Vegas 1-8): He's either going to be a legit threat at SS for the always dangerous Pac Men or a super utility man. All of that depends on whether or not he can live up to his potential.
  • Dan Olson (Bulls 1-15): Could be a solid, if not spectacular, starter or a potentially deadly closer, it's all going to depend on his development. Great pick for a team that's always good at making good BPA picks.
Now let's get to the not so good.

Keith "Clown Show" Law's Worst pick of the 2054 1st Round: Las Vegas's selection of Angelo Soto (1-19 2B).

Why I don't like this pick: Soto is 20, doesn't have a position (30 POSITION rating at 2B), doesn't project to have any power (30 potential), has a terrible eye (30 potential), and has no speed (all according to OSA). It's hard to say Las Vegas had a bad first round, considering their pick at 1-8 (Numair Naji) that they got in the Jaime "Piranha" Repiteira trade fleecing but this was a pretty bad pick. My biggest issue with this pick is that Soto is the kind of player, based on his injury history in COLLEGE, to end up “sleeping on his eye wrong" and miss an entire season while on the 40-man roster. Just a strange pick to me given his performance (or lack there of) the last two COLLEGE seasons.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Randy Gadd (Miami 1-4): Sure, Gadd is only 17 and might develop into a serious left handed threat but for a rebuilding team this was a serious gamble that all involved had better hope works out. There's very little room for improvement on his eye (35 potential), he doesn't have a position, and he has no speed. On the plus side he does have decent contact, gap, and power potential and he should avoid giving up At Bats with strikeouts. An odd pick given that a similar player with better OSA potential (Adrian Zambrano) was still on the board, as was Numair Naji.
  • Alex Michael (Buenos Aires 1-5): No stamina, mediocre velocity (92-94), best two pitches are a change up (65 potential) and a slider (70 potential), and has a fastball that's BP at best.
  • Pedro Bernal (Lisbon 1-16): Absolutely zero power, mediocre contact, no position, and low intelligence. If he had 60 power potential I'd say they drafted a younger version of Ean Desmond. Bernal is just 16 so the position issue is really nothing to whine about but he looks like a guy that will take years to develop, which could be what Lisbon wanted. On the plus side he does have great speed and baserunning ability and solid fielding ratings so he could end up being a solid utility man if his bat doesn't develop.

Last edited:

Schauwn

Do you want other people to pots in this thread, or do you want it to just be analysis?

TonyGin&Juice

Do you want other people to pots in this thread, or do you want it to just be analysis?

It's up to you. I like attempting to do it in a style similar to analysts (yes, Mel Kiper isn't a baseball guy but that kind of drivel is what you'd expect from him) but I'm curious what other people's thoughts were on this draft. I actually like your pick of Bernal from a development standpoint but I tried to do the "bad" reviews using Keith Law Logic.

Schauwn

Bernal's defensive ability is why I really liked him, I should be able to get him position ratings at almost all of the IF spots with his defensive ratings. Plus, since he's so young, and being drafted out of HS, I'm hoping his contact comes up to 50 or at the worst 45 and he ends up being a well rounded utility IF for me down the line with ++ defense.

osick87

Community Liaison
RE:Michael
35 stamina can work for starters. OSA has his stamina at 40. He may be a five and dive type starter but he's got 4 good pitches and good intangibles. It was between Michael and de Haer but I liked Michael just a little more.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
This reminds me of when Gooksta did this. Harrison just glides out there, potential perennial All Star.

Turned into a AAAA bum.

TonyGin&Juice

So now you a draft expert huh

How long have you known me? Five years? I'm an expert at everything and nothing at the same time.

He's definitely not a table expert.

I tried to make the table look nice and every time I make changes where it looks good in preview it goes back to looking like 1994 HTML. If you wanna jizz up feel free to do so but fuck if Imma do it.

Lloyd Carr

If you wanna jizz up.

giphy.gif

osick87

Community Liaison
I tried to make the table look nice and every time I make changes where it looks good in preview it goes back to looking like 1994 HTML. If you wanna jizz up feel free to do so but fuck if Imma do it.

I think the easiest way is to do it in Google sheets and then copy the table over.

osick87

Community Liaison
Dang.

It may be easier just doing headings and bullet points.

Had to zoom in to see the KLaw.

TonyGin&Juice

Nor Wolfman

I actually really like @Wolfman21 and find his schtick entertaining. My biggest beef with him is that I don't know when he's serious and when he's in character. I don't agree with him on Sharp not being the best pick in this draft. However, I'm looking at this from the dipshit NFL Mel Kiper "WILL HE BE A GLORYBOI OUT OF THE GATE" angle and not from a more rational MLB team perspective. Some of the other picks from the Honorable Mention list *might* have better careers but I doubt any of them will be contributors within the next 2-3 seasons.

Wolfman21

I actually really like @Wolfman21 and find his schtick entertaining. My biggest beef with him is that I don't know when he's serious and when he's in character. I don't agree with him on Sharp not being the best pick in this draft. However, I'm looking at this from the dipshit NFL Mel Kiper "WILL HE BE A GLORYBOI OUT OF THE GATE" angle and not from a more rational MLB team perspective. Some of the other picks from the Honorable Mention list *might* have better careers but I doubt any of them will be contributors within the next 2-3 seasons.

I'm always serious...except when I'm not. I'm mysterious, like batman.

Sharp will be a good player, no doubt. I just think there were better options at 1-7. I could easily be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time or the last.

Lloyd Carr

lol at anyone who drafts a reliever in the 1st

youll wont vote for Peder, but youll waste a 1st round draft pick on an RP? lawd

osick87

Community Liaison
Except for Billy humphrey. Even if he's pitching like a shit head right now

I'm sure not serious but I'll reply anyways.

Funk and Razor Lopez both better. Possibly Khac Kham if he plays like this for more years.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@TonyGin&Juice

If you open my draft tool and mess around with the Potential Positions, you can what positions guys project to be serviceable starters (55+). You can also mess around to set different threshold values for each defensive rating (I used threshold values based on my 55 postional rating regression analysis of the WBL starters a few years back). To me, this is the most important feature of my draft tool, to me. Being able to tell at a glance which positions a player has the potential to develop into is really important. If you draft only using the website information, you have to click through to the player's individual profile to see if they can play a position and that just takes a lot of time

Pedro Bernal has the potential to be a 55+ positional rating defender everywhere but CF and will likely end up being a good + defensive middle infield player, which is obviously a value position. To be a serviceable SS they need 60 range minimum, 55 errors, 50 arm, and 60 TDP and he exceeds all those values so he should end up as a +defender SS with enough minor league experience at the position.

Bernal's infield ratings are:
IF Range = 65
IF Error = 70
IF Arm = 60
IF TDP = 70

TonyGin&Juice

@TonyGin&Juice
If you open my draft tool and mess around with the Potential Positions, you can what positions guys project to be serviceable starters (55+). You can also mess around to set different threshold values for each defensive rating (I used threshold values based on my 55 postional rating regression analysis of the WBL starters a few years back).

Eh, I wrote my own in R using what data was available for potential WBL arrival and it had Bernal at least four years out. I could be literally dead in the time it takes for four WBL seasons to play out.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Eh, I wrote my own in R using what data was available for potential WBL arrival and it had Bernal at least four years out. I could be literally dead in the time it takes for four WBL seasons to play out.

You should share ur draft tool toO!

TonyGin&Juice

Brace yourselves, Jon "Grinder" Gruden and Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder will be "analysing" the second round picks.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
It'd actually be very fun to look at some of the old draft threads... there were some times when people just went nuts over how good/bad a pick was.

TonyGin&Juice

Reviewing the Second Round of the 2054 draft is ESPN Monday Night FOOZBAWL commentator Jon "Grinder" Gruden. Take it away Jon.

gruden_smirk.jpg

In life there are times when you say to yourself "I ain't got it today so let's just call off the dogs and take a knee, the girls at the Pink Pony are waiting for us." The Berlin Bomber Bears seem to have made that their motto the past three plus seasons, even with Jon "Gremlin" Funk, a guy I like to call "The Colon Smasher." Not 'cause he's into backdoor play, nah, because when he's on fire you need to import more colons for him to smash, he's just that good. Anyway, like George Clinton once told me at an opium den in Cleveland - Funk alone can't save you and for the Bomber Bears that's certainly been the case. These guys just seem to like losing. They lost 117 games last season and 120 games this season so there's got to be something in the water over there in Berlin, it certainly ain't in the coke and I can tell you that from experience Mike.

Anyway, they had the first pick this round and what a pick it was. Abdul-Rafi "Iceman" bin Jaleel, third baseman out of Oklahoma with intangibles off the chart. I mean, this guy is like a surgeon with the glove and he's only 20. Reminds me a lot of Rich Gannon during my time in Oakland back when we'd run the Spider Y Hot Banana Two and he'd just execute like a Columbian death squad. This kid is just like that - he has his own fundamentals, just not speed, defense, gap power, or avoiding strikeouts, but he's got his own fundamentals. I see big things in this kid's future with maybe even a bust in Canton next to Warren Sapp a possibility.

However, he's not my top pick for the second round. Nah, that honor goes to the Seoul Glow's selection of Ross Cooke.

72jwsqi17ubjqc09v5fy2xpu6.320x180x50.gif

When I look at this guy I see either the penthouse or the shithouse Mike and I'm leaning towards the penthouse, in fact, I'd put your per diem on it this guy is a HOAG in four or five years. Just 17 years old and he's already tougher than a $3 steak and as experienced as a $2 whore. His work ethic, leadership, and loyalty aren't where they need to be but this kid has everything you want out of a second rounder and you just feel like a better person by being around him. He could end up unloading docks in Jacksonville if none of his pitches develop but he seems like the kind of player that looks forward to just digging in there with his hands and riding the center. I light up like a Christmas tree just thinking about what all this kid is going to do in Cologne and Munich should his curveball develop. Nasty.

Now let's get the guy that I feel should be selling used Pontiacs in Kissimmee instead of playing professional baseball - the worst selection of the second round - the MiAAAAmi MAAAAnAAAAtee's pick of Randy Candy.

You know Mike, I like to laugh. I don't like to think too deep so I stay in the shallow waters so I don't drown but even I'm at a loss for what the MAAAAnAAAAtees are doing. Their two first round picks made me want to coach again but this pick, this pick Mike, well, you can't triple bogey the first hole in a golf tournament and expect to win and that's what they did here. Trading that 2-4 pick to the Pac Men put them in bad position but this pick, well I just don't know what to say. I mean, to quote my buddy Kip Winger Randy Candy's only 17 but the intelligence, leadership ability, and range just isn't there. I mean, maybe they're trying to replicate my Spider Hot Banana Y mix we made last year Mike, but drafting this guy just seems like stopping by Home Depot for paint thinner for your Pina Colada instead of picking up Captain Morgan at the ABC store just 'cause they're out of
Angostura. It's like Mick Jagger learning the lyrics to the Who - just makes no sense.​

jon-gruden-and-mike-tirico-load-a-blender-during-mnf.gif