• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2088 Offseason Thread

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Jesus Christ. We can always bring IFA back if it doesn't work out. I think my fussy two year old is more adventurous with her food than some of you are with this game. Y'all treating a broken turd like a holy shrine.

Wolfman21

They weren’t worth the money they were asking for, why?

They just didn't have the ratings of guys one would normally see being released. And in Moy's case, i was really interested because hes been healthy and hasn't pitched in two seasons with 75/60/55 ratings. You paid him 17 million over the last two seasons and he didn't play. So i was just wondering why, lol

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Oh yeah. I had a couple players that were either lost on IR or lost in the ether. They showed up at arbitration so I dealt with them there. I've been busy and tanking until now, so whatever it was I didn't notice it. Ultimately, though - Moy was asking for over $10M so I decided to move on. Cairo got a steal at that price. The quick-sign FAs are kind of lame, but we do love when we land one.

Vega has clocked negative WAR for two years in a row. He has 55 power with no position. I guess if he replicates 2085 over a full season and you're a contact-first team it could be worth it.

Wolfman21

Oh yeah. I had a couple players that were either lost on IR or lost in the ether. They showed up at arbitration so I dealt with them there. I've been busy and tanking until now, so whatever it was I didn't notice it. Ultimately, though - Moy was asking for over $10M so I decided to move on. Cairo got a steal at that price. The quick-sign FAs are kind of lame, but we do love when we land one.

Vega has clocked negative WAR for two years in a row. He has 55 power with no position. I guess if he replicates 2085 over a full season and you're a contact-first team it could be worth it.

i mean, you released them and he signed them back in January before FA was even open. I was genuinely curious about why you dropped em and then specifically curious why moy didn't play, lol.

As for Vega, at DH i think hes a 2-3 WAR player. His ZR at 1B is one of the worst i've ever seen which explains the -4+ WAR over the last two seasons. Hes a good bat, just should have been at DH instead of 1B. Which, if you were tanking, was prolly by design, lol.

Last edited:

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Spotted em in the sim after playoffs and offered a few times cause they wanted 5+ years while I wanted 1 or 2 yr deals.

If its against the rules to negotiate after arb, I'll note it and refrain in the future. Not trying to cheese. Every sim, the first thing I do is go to the transactions screen/FA list/WW.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Spotted em in the sim after playoffs and offered a few times cause they wanted 5+ years while I wanted 1 or 2 yr deals.

If its against the rules to negotiate after arb, I'll note it and refrain in the future. Not trying to cheese. Every sim, the first thing I do is go to the transactions screen/FA list/WW.

Which transaction screen? Asking for a friend.

Wolfman21

Btw, @Mr. Radpants @fignuts - I didn't realise we were allowed to sign free agents in January? Are there exceptions and if so what are they, as it would be nice to know....

This one is a little weird because Rad released them back in November. For instance my guys...Florian Knittle's history says "wasn't offered arb and became FA" on 12/2/87. Nelson Andres just "became a free agent" on 12/4/87. Juan Noriega declined his contract option in November and "became a free agent" on 12/4/87.

Rads guys, the two we're discussing, were just outright released on 11/13/87. Why he released them instead of just not offering arb or just letting them become free agents.....i don't know. If he had sent them through arb and non tendered them or just let them go to FA normally, then fignuts would have definitely broken the rule. It does kind of game the system since everyone just assumes that during these sims we can't offer free agents. Someone thats more up on the rules regarding this like orlando or karl would prolly give a better answer, if there is one

Last edited:

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Btw, @Mr. Radpants @fignuts - I didn't realise we were allowed to sign free agents in January? Are there exceptions and if so what are they, as it would be nice to know....
We arent. The loophole is I started talking the Chip series/once you out the playoffs. A few other released guys by FB got snatched up. KAB had 1 or 2 as well. The FA gate closes upon advance to ARB.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
We arent. The loophole is I started talking the Chip series/once you out the playoffs. A few other released guys by FB got snatched up. KAB had 1 or 2 as well. The FA gate closes upon advance to ARB.

But you signed them in January. It's in the logs.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
right. read above. i negotiated on multiple targets. I'll stop negotiating if the initial contract offer doesnt go through. or if these are against the rules to go after released guys in the FA pool, then re-release em. But I'd like that salary money returned.

Last edited:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
right. read above. i negotiated on multiple targets. if these are against the rules to go after released guys in the FA pool, then re-release em. But I'd like that salary money returned.

I thought it had been established now that it isn't in the rules. But I was just clarifying, because I've been burned for something similar before I knew any rules.

@Orlando @Karl Hungus - Can't we just establish a rule that you can only sign your own players back in the period between end of season and FA? Sniping other peoples cast offs before they reach FA doesn't seem great to me to me. Surely there's no need for this outside of signing back your own?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I thought it had been established now that it isn't in the rules. But I was just clarifying, because I've been burned for something similar before I knew any rules.

@Orlando @Karl Hungus - Can't we just establish a rule that you can only sign your own players back in the period between end of season and FA? Sniping other peoples cast offs before they reach FA doesn't seem great to me to me. Surely there's no need for this outside of signing back your own?
I’m fine either way. Once the regular season ends some people just go into off-season mode and start looking for players. For the most part the players signed are people who have been FA all year, so no one really cared. Some GMs start cleaning house early as well and release guys ahead of arb. You shouldn’t be doing hard negotiations with these players that last for months though haha. I’m fine establishing a rule like you suggested, it just takes someone policing.

Wolfman21

I’m fine either way. Once the regular season ends some people just go into off-season mode and start looking for players. For the most part the players signed are people who have been FA all year, so no one really cared. Some GMs start cleaning house early as well and release guys ahead of arb. You shouldn’t be doing hard negotiations with these players that last for months though haha. I’m fine establishing a rule like you suggested, it just takes someone policing.

I do feel a good general rule would be no signings(unless they're on your own team of course) from the last game of the world series until FA opens. Would negate issues like this in the future

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Orlando - If the rule is there, then we can just call people up on it if they get noticed. It doesn't really matter if they get away with it, as obviously no-one cared.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
I do feel a good general rule would be no signings(unless they're on your own team of course) from the last game of the world series until FA opens. Would negate issues like this in the future
Boy ballon, B. cept dat no signings unless they previous played. too much to keep track. cut and dry this.

Wolfman21

i didn't notice he said that thanks to the wonderful ignore function. :laughing: at that response when he signed them illegally. I'm so happy I just so happened to look at that offseason center screen now

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
did you not read i dont want to start a kerfuffle dingus? thanks for ruining my positive vibes. just git apprived for 600K loan. no co-sign. but ill go head and focus on this fake beisbol team all mroing to appease us spergs instead. Want me to get your snuff box out while we at it?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
did you not read i dont want to start a kerfuffle dingus? thanks for ruining my positive vibes. just git apprived for 600K loan. no co-sign. but ill go head and focus on this fake beisbol team all mroing to appease us spergs instead. Want me to get your snuff box out while we at it?
The cycle of cheat>rage quit normally takes 3-4 seasons... Much quicker this time.

No- I didn't read 50 posts... I just thought it's clear as day that you don't sign FA's until Karl literally posts "sign FA's".

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

I thought this was the rule. I had no idea figs signed them in November, lmbo.

Outright releasing them is easier from whatever screen I was on, that’s why I did it.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Dude. I legit didnt know. They were released and in the pool. If what the teams did like what wolf pointed out. None of this would be on the table.

Now I know. The rule is: FA shuts from Regular szn to February.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
What I unknowingly and unintentionally cause WBL chaos, log off and come back to this crap show results

P0CDCaD.gif

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Let's get this straight though everyone. Is there not going to be any punishments, or are we letting everyone get away with everything?